Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 6-Series

Comments

• highgearhighgear Member Posts: 2
    has anyone had trouble with the battery in the 645ci draining while the car is turned off? mine's been in the shop for a week. service says that something in the electrical system is spiking when the car is off and that's empyting the battery...but, they can't figure out what it is. sound familiar to anyone?
  • smprestdntsmprestdnt Member Posts: 1
    There have been a number of problems with the electrical system and discharged batteries in the 645. Some of these problems have been dealt with in software updates.

For a thorough discussion of this problem and how others have dealt with it I suggest you visit roadfly.com and go to their message board for the BMW 645. Search for battery or electrical problems.
  • highgearhighgear Member Posts: 2
    thank you!
  • scsscs Member Posts: 1
    go to roadfly forum. Someone named kathyO had this problem. BMWNA has replaced her car.
  • robertdrobertd Member Posts: 1
    Please discuss European Delivery with your dealership if you are interested - I would recommend it to anyone (a couple of good reasons being the 7% price reduction and the ability to drive your new car on the best roads in the world with no speed limit).

I just returned from picking up my car in Munich in August 2004. I drove it for a week and dropped it off in Paris. It is being shipped back to my dealership.

Please see roadfly.com for more info on 6 (and 5) series Euro Delivery. The BMW web site has a good intro on Euro Delivery as well.

Robert
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    There is also a Euro Delivery Forum here.

-Paul
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Thanks for mentioning that Paul.

Here's the link to the Edmunds forum on this subject:

BMW Owners: European Delivery Forum

Shifty the Host
  • patellipatelli Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone know where I can get the ED invoice pricing for a 645? eurobuyers.com doesnt post them anymore.

TIA,
    Patelli
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    We aren't allowed to link other forums here.. but, if you google for other BMW forums, there are only about 2-3 that get a lot of traffic.. you could probably find the info there.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The only difference in US and ED is the base price.... all options are the same either way..

ED base MSRP is $4895 less than US base MSRP

ED base invoice is $4635 less than US base invoice

Hope this helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lkittylkitty Member Posts: 3
    I have a 645Cic. My iDive has had multiple meltdowns. Sometimes it would not go on, other times it would freeze on a screen. Then the window sensors for going up and down stopped working and the phone has been intermittent. It has been to the dealer 4 times the last time for 10 days waiting of the BMWNA rep to look at the car. They replaced they said the main computer that runs 5 other systems. So far it's good. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how has your resolution to it been.
    I have a 645Cic. Wne ever I turn into a driveway where one front tire goes up before the other, i.e. on a diagonal. I get a horrble creaking sound for the center dash and engine bay that sounds like the car is twisting although it is louder then that, like if you were cracking your knuckes but much louder and much deeper, like the sound a tree makes when it is cut down, that crack before it falls. Anyone else have this? Is it just the poor rigidity of the car or do you this it is something worse?
  • ajroseajrose Member Posts: 29
    Any significant changes from 2004 to 2005 model years?

Thanks.
  • flptopflptop Member Posts: 2
    My radio has continued to play a couple of times after I've turned the car off and gotten out. Have been told it is a "programming issue". Anybody else had that?
  • grogsuzgrogsuz Member Posts: 14
    Just received verification for PC delivery (10-8).
    Should be an interesting experience.
    Nice.. I haven't done that.. but, I recommend the factory tour and the museum.. Not much to the museum, but what they do have is interesting.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes I have had that several times. I ended up having to have the master computer system replaced at 1800 miles. Have you had any problems with the nav system freezing or not being able to get signal strength when the cell phone is in the cradle, these were other problems I encounterred.
  • debeck85debeck85 Member Posts: 1
    have a 645Cic convert. My iDive has had multiple shutdowns, though the car is wonderful to drive its electronic system is the worst since my 89 rover. Some Highlights
    Battery Dead three times for no reason
    Idrive crashes at least 3 times a week
    Dashboard lights do not go on
    Harzard message that steering has failed 2x had to be towed
    total miles 4,800

Dealer just re programmed the car and replaced the I drive again, lets see what happends. Shame BMW had to ruin a good thing
  • mjollnirmjollnir Member Posts: 16
    I had a problem with the i-drive gremlins, too. The i-drive would periodically lock up temporarily and then return back to normal overnight. The service people spent some time doing a complete diagnostic on it and reprogrammed the software. Time will tell if the reprogramming will work. Will let you know in a few weeks.
  • gerger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 645ci which get very hot around front kidney and hood area. Can anyone advise....
  • nuievenuieve Member Posts: 43
    I just did a search on used BMW 6, there are some excellent condition 2004 cars with just 200 miles going for as low as 15k in my area. Some for 30k. What's the catch? To good to be true...
    One word: SCAM

It will turn out to be "overseas".. Please send a deposit Western Union, etc..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mjollnirmjollnir Member Posts: 16
    I read your post and got curious about mine. I had driven for about 1 hour on the autobahn then for about 10 minutes around town in the evening. Ambient temperature was about 65 degrees and dry. I pulled the car into the garage and felt around the front of the car as I was cleaning off the bugs. The hood and kidney area were warm only. A very hot front end does not sound normal to me unless, perhaps, you are in a very hot, sunny climate.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    can anyone tell me how much am i looking forward to spend for a new 645ci convertible?
    is it possible to get one under msrp?
    You should use the Edmunds's Pricing System. Click on "new cars" up top of this page and follow the directions. It'll give you a "build sheet" for all the options you want, and a "target price" to negotiate for.
    i tried edmunds pricing system, but sadly it didnt help much, the tmv always shows same numbers as msrp
    i tried the same system for an m3 and the result: well, also msrp for tmv, but i checked dealers manually and they gave me a quote of $2k over invoice.
    any other way to get a price? dealers insist on sticker
    thanks
    WEll what that means is that no one buying a 6 series has been able to bargain under invoice at this point, and that dealers are selling above invoice.

Did you try faxing various dealers in your area and making an offer for a certain car with all options you want?
  • bjrbjr Member Posts: 3
    What year is your car?
    I agree that BMW color options are few. How can you offer only a black and grey top without offering grey interior. I personally would like a White with grey interior and a grey top. BMW individualist can't do it either.
    The interior colors are maroon, black, and cream. I tried to order a white with grey interior and the grey top but no luck. Tried to go thru bmw individual where you can custom make the paint color or the interior but no luck.
    Oh well. One must make sacrifices. I did finally pull the trigger and have a 6 coupe on order. Decided on black with beige. I have been reading some on the 5 board which questions the active steering and basic sound system. Does anyone have some input on either?
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    My sister just got a brand new 645 convertible courtesy of the huge raise her husband received. I got to test drive it this weekend. Below are my impressions:

1) Suspension and road feel were great, as one expects in a BMW. I felt that the 6 series drove as surely as the e39 5 series, but with a slightly more forgiving ride, except on sharp bumps, where the ride was a little jarring. I think that jarring was due more to the run flat tires than any flaw in the suspension.

2) Steering was a little numb IMO. I don't know whether that's due to active steering or the run flat tires. I like active steering in theory, just not sure whether it's working as advertised. I think it takes some time to get used to, and I didn't drive the 645 often enough to get used to it.

3) Interior materials. IMO, the materials in the 6 series interior are excellent, certainly better than the materials quality in the e60 525i and 530i that I have seen. I don't know how the 645 interior compares to the 545 as I haven't driven a 545, but I imagine they should be pretty similar. The dashboard and speedometer seem to be extremely similar, if not identical, to my dad's 745Li, so it looks like BMW used the 745i interior in the 645, which would account for its high quality. My only complaint would be with the gray wood finish. I'm sure it's real wood, but gray wood with a high glossy finish made it look fake.

4) Interior design - Other than i-drive, I had no real complaints about the interior design. The automatic window buttons were at a weird angle, but I got used to it. The interior design is certainly better than in my dad's 745Li (first year edition) which is an interior ergonomic mess.

I know some of you here state that i-drive 2.0 is better. I have experienced i-drive 1.0 in my dad's 745Li and I assure you that v 1.0 sucks in every conceivable way. I didn't really have time to try out i-drive 2.0, but at this point, I've had such bad experiences with i-drive 1.0 that I just can't see how i-drive is a positive.

I fail to see how the additional electronic complexity of i-drive, which increases the likelihood of electronic gremlins and expensive repair costs, is offset by the alleged advantages of i-drive, whatever they are.

FWIW, my sister does not like i-drive 2.0. She puts up with it because she has to, but if she had her choice, it'd be gone.

5) Hill descent control - I disliked this function. With the hill descent control slowing the car down whenever my foot was off the pedal, I could no longer hit the gas, ease off, and then hit the gas again. It felt like the car was downshifting into a lower gear every time I took my foot off the gas.

BMW is supposed to be a driver's vehicle. I want to control how fast the car goes by hitting the gas, brakes and shifting appropriately. The hill descent control interfered with that.

Since my sister's 645 is an automatic combined with the hill descent control, it almost felt like this car was driving itself, so despite the power of the engine and the ride quality of a BMW, this was an incredibly boring car to drive IMO.

I wonder what a manual 645 would have been like.

6) Exterior Looks - This is the best of the Bangled cars no doubt. However, I still hate the Bangle butt and rear taillights look contrived IMO. The piece slapped on the top of the Bangle butt looks like the bustle of a fat woman's porky behind IMO; it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Overall: Great car, nice interior, get rid of i-drive and the bustle on the butt and fix the taillights and you have an unbeatable machine. Also, lower the price.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    at least in my 3 series is meant for slow downhills (such as on snow and ice). It keeps my car less than 5 mph. Maybe they've changed it for the 6 Series or changed what all it is supposed to do, but I thought it was for low speed applications...

-Paul
    do you know how much she had to pay for the convertible? im considering one and still asking people about pricing, nothing good so far :(
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    Well her hubby got it for her. I don't think he bought it. He leased it. Since they live in NYC, I thought that was an insane financial decision since leasing in NY requires payment of the sales tax on the full amount of the car even though you're only going to have it for 3 years.

But it's his money to burn.
  • ak103ak103 Member Posts: 11
    In NY State, the lease calculates tax based on the total of payments "not" the full cost of the vehicle.
    still insane though, if im not mistaken the tax in ny is around 9% right?
    Verizon finally cane out with a Blue tooth phone (Motorola V710). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to connect to my 05 BMW.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    I just picked up a 2005 645. I had only wanted one without the sport package or the active steering and my local dealer had one. So far I like it and my only objections are due to the run flat tires which I find too stiff and the I drive, which I find complicates simple tasks like directing the airflow from the HVAC.

Handling is very good, engine note is glorious and the transmission nice and crisp. I hear there is new V8 coming next year with around 400HP, which might make this car even more interesting.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    Congrats on your new 6. Nice to see you're still around. If I remember correctly, your last few cars were SLs, right? I've driven the current generation SL. How does it compare to the 6? Is yours a coupe or conv?
    I have the coupe, because I just don't like the rear of the convertible (I know the coupe isn't a lot better, but it is a little better without the slit rear window). The BMW is, not surprisingly, more athletic than the SL. The SL is very capable but more relaxed in its demeanor (except for the SL55 which is more raucous). I actually find the build quality a touch better in the BMW, fewer rattles than the SL (some of which are due to the retractable hardtop). With the BMW, there is I-drive to dislike. With the SL, it is those awful sensotronic brakes. Overall, I would say the SL is the more complete package, but it is also much more expensive and less fun to drive. If you value the driving experience most, the BMW could be the right car for you.

The better car than either of these two is my CL600, which of course is incredibly expensive and should be better. Once you drive that twin turbo V-12, you never want to go back to mere V-8's. Boy am I spoiled or what?
    I once read that every driver should experience a V12. There's no doubt I'll do so one day. I'm sure that twin-turbo 12 is a hard act to follow.

I defintely feel the same way about the I-drive. I've driven the S430, S500 and 745i. The 7 is more a driver's car and but I found the interior so un-intuitive. I'm into gadgets and thought I'd have no problems with I-drive. Boy was I wrong - I am not a fan of the interior controls at all. The S class interior was such a cinch to figure out in comparison. But without ABC, the S has too much body roll for my taste. I'm sure the 6 is a better handling car compared to the sedans.

Enjoy your new ride and let us know how it holds up.
    ABC is a real advantage for the big Merc's and makes the CL600 feel like a much smaller and lighter car in the twisties. It doesn't transform the car into a Porsche competitor, but it can be fun. I had the active body suspension in a BMW 545 and it was outstanding, but they package it with the larger run flat tires, which ruins the ride quality and also along with the active steering, which I never could get used to. Maybe if I only drove one car, it would be alright, but jumping from one car to another, the BMW steering was weird. I agree with you that Command is much easier to master than I-drive.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    I think it was Enzo Ferrari who said, "Every man should plant a tree, raise a son, and drive a 12 cylinder car in his lifetime".
    Thanks - I'll have to add "drive a 12 cylinder", preferably Ferrari, to my New Year's resolutions. I have been by Wide World of Cars (Ferrari, Maserati, BMW) and Bergen County Lamborghini this past month. Beautiful machines!
  • 645iron645iron Member Posts: 2
    I have been driving various cars for months now and finally made the decision to buy. The 645i won me over. I test drove the corvette(actually ordered one but canceled for the 645i, the 7 series, e class, cls, acura Rl, Lexus Gs, Infiniti M, and cadillac sts and even the Fx infiniti. I was primarily looking for one car that would do it all for me, looks, power, luxury, cache, women love it, I love it,
    there are many reasons the 645 won me over

Looks, I love Jet Black with sport package
    This coupe is not too small or big just right.
    Big trunk and emergency back seat lets you use this as your primary car, unlike vette.
    It turns on a dime, important when uturning in busy intersections, It accelerates from any speed
    and handles bumps and dips effortlessly, watch out vette owners 3.5 inch clearance you will be bottoming out allot!!! Unlike Mercedes which has so many options, the bmw has just a few and they are great! Love the standard parking warning system.

Some are not excited about looks, I think allot of coupe are going to the too round and clean look which if you like feminine shapes may work.
    Jaguar Xk old and new model upcoming, Aston martin.. give me some lines and cuts something agressive not a jelly bean, vette looks great and so does bmw!! Cls is interesting look...almost bought one, two ladies in my office bought one ( chick car I believe)

You must get the satellite radio, I wanted sirius and thats what you get!! When I saw all elvis channel I knew I had to have it! I also like Howard Stern so only place to hear him will be on sirius.

I am awaiting delivery of my car two more weeks!
    I think I will be fine with Idrive, big bright screen that you can manipulate with one hand....
    will see.

I could only get 1,000 off sticker, the biggest dealer crevier said full sticker only

so my mini reveiw
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Where are you???

M
  • matt66matt66 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 645 with I also purchased in June 2004. I have been having discussions with the dealer about this bluetooth for months. I just got the final work on this, the dealer is telling me that 645's produced before March of 2003 are not equipped with the module for bluetooth. When I purchased the car I was told it wasn't available yet but it would be in the future. Now BMW wants $1750 for the module plus labor.I have contacted customer relations and they keep putting back on the deal. The dealer keeps putting back on BMW. Have you had any luck in resolving this problem
  • matt66matt66 Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyone who has a 645 that came without bluetooth and isn't getting install by the dealer
  • newportdavenewportdave Member Posts: 1
    I drove the cic for two days from Crevier. Liked alot but must order a car to get the red/ruth int and jet black exterior. Problem is 650 coming in Fall and I can't figure out if I should wait for new engine and possible wheel trim change. Shouldn't they start to discount some closer to new model?
This discussion has been closed.