Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tree-sap , It will not come off. Can anybody help?

rayfbairdrayfbaird Member Posts: 183
edited March 2014 in Cadillac

Comments

• jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    How about telling us all what you have already tried, and where on the vehicle it is(glass or body). I have used a product called "splat" to get tree sap, bugs and road tar off before, and it works wonders.
  • rayfbairdrayfbaird Member Posts: 183
    Can be removed by soaking and washing the removing residue with a clay bar.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    3M Adhesive, Wax, and Tar Remover. I use it all the time on sap and it works great. Remember to wash the car afterwards to remove any residue and remaining sap.
  • rayfbairdrayfbaird Member Posts: 183
    Since I have 8 trees, maple, walnut, and plum, that are over 60 years old sap is a definite seasonal problem for me.

Is this stronger than Kleen Strip Surface Prep, or 3M General Adhesive Remover?

My big concern is that last instruction that says "6. Allow product to soak surface. Pressing hard will cause cloth to dull surface..."
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    put some soft butter on the spots to soften them up. even better is peanut oil.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    I've found it work a little better than the general adhesive remover stuff. Don't know about Kleen Strip. I've taken off huge blobs of pine sap that have been baked onto the paint. Removal took all of 15 seconds. Didn't damage the paint.

It's worth a try if your other stuff isn't doing the job.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    that stuff will take the paint off. what you want is something mildly oily to get the sap softened, or alternatively, get underneath it to soften the wax.

peanut oil is wonderful against pine and spruce sap. when that ran out, butter worked. stoddard solvent also works, but if you're way up north in the piney woods over an hour from civilization, you use what you got. and it turned out that edible oils are just about as good as stoddard for sap (aka bug and tar remover.)

also gets the glop out of the cat's fur, although peanut butter is more palatable, and the cat realizes it's not for the worst after she stops cussing you out for spreading it on. veterinarian recommended for tar and tanglefoot, by the way.
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    Now the stuff mentioned here is not a paint stripper, it's a wax and tar remover. Used it for 2 years and it doesn't damage the finish. Klean Strip does have other paint strippingproducts, but this one isn't one of them.

If in any doubt check the instructions. These plainly say they won't harm the clearcoat.
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    I heard that it works w/o any chemical, additives..
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I have also used "Splatt" as was mentioned in post #2 - very good stuff
  • rudedog1rudedog1 Member Posts: 7
    The cheapest and by far... The best stuff to remove tree sap is gasline antifreeze on a small rag. This won't hurt anything. Just lightly dab the spot and presto... the sap is gone. This will however remove the wax so just rewax the area. This works amazingly.
This discussion has been closed.