Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Audi A8

fst1fst1 Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Audi
Does anybody think that this new Audi flagship will be good enough to overcome its traditional second tier status?

Ed Hellwig
Road Test/Future Vehicles Editor
Edmunds.com

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    to guess whether or not it'll be considered on a par w the 745 or S-class.

I was a little dissappointed in photos realeased so far but the current A/S8 looks better in the metal than in pix.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    I've only seen one A8 on the street in Ann Arbor, and usually Audi dealers have only one or two on the lot if that.
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    I could never figure it out. The A8 has always been way more appealing to me than the 7 series and S class, and loads more appealing than the LS. I dont care about its quality or resale problems. They look, feel, and I would assume drive exceptionally nice. One of the best interior and exterior designs in any car, period.

The new one looks even nicer. Has anyone noticed they followed the style of the old A4 much more than the current A6 curvy design? I dig it. I dig it like dirt!
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    This car looks georgeous, inside and out. Has anyone heard anything about what the pricing might be? Hope it's not too much more than the current A8, which never really did much for me. My guess is that Audi will sell at least 3 times as many of the new model compared to previous years.
  • volkl210volkl210 Member Posts: 2
    I just put a deposit down on an '04 A8 and the dealer told me that we should expect them in the states in the late April/early May timeframe at about the same price as the current A8, maybe a few K more.

The states are only going to get the A8L and the S8 the first year and the shorter body the following years.

This is the car I've been waiting for. It has speed, handling, great braking and obviously good looks as well.

Everything I read about the A8 overshadows the MW, MB and Lexus.
    Were you able to pick out options and color at this early stage, or is your deposit just to get you in line for one of the early ones that come to your dealer? Congrats on what should be a great car.
  • volkl210volkl210 Member Posts: 2
    They dealer let me make a deposit and I am first in line at this particular dealership. I will go back in once Audi releases option/pricing/color information on the vehicle so I can place my order. The dealer said that it will probably take 10-12 weeks after I place my order, which means I should be placing my order around the late January early February timeframe.
  • controlspecimecontrolspecime Member Posts: 1
    .....why Audi is producing a copycat of the Phaeton. I don't know much about either, but it appears to me that the cars are built of the same platform and share many of the same components, and look almost exactly the same. I know that Volkswagon is trying to expand its customer base, but if they want to make the A8 a real player in the American market, they have to devote all of their attention and resources to it. I am sure that both cars will be extremely nice, but what is the point of producing two very similar cars in the same price range, and marketing them to the same audience? In my opinion, if Volkswagon to make Audi a true competitor to its German rivals, make the new A8 a true competitor to the 7 series or S-class, and not try to compete with itself.
    Although I haven't seen them side-by-side, I don't think these two cars look that much alike. I really like the styling of the new A8, and am looking forward to seeing it in person and taking it for a test drive. In the meantime, I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison of the dimensions and features of each - has anyone seen one posted anywhere?
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    They are actually going to be quite different cars, with the Phaeton concentrating on luxury and the A8 on technology and performance. For instance, the A8 is something like 500 lbs lighter, despite similar dimensions. It will also be tuned for considerably better handling. My impression is that the Phaeton is VW/Audi's attempt to build a better Buick.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• buurgessbuurgess Member Posts: 1
    I believe the gentleman comparing the A8 with the Phaeton is making a huge oversight, the all aluminum space frame, making the A8 a lighter car, which improves handling, gas milage, driving feel and dynamics. There is a price difference and also a marque difference. Someone who is interested in a Audi never cross considers it with a VW. I know from personal shopping experience that when I was shopping for an A6 I wasn't even considering the Passat or Jetta, not even the highly anticipated Passat W8, which is to heavy for it's own good.

I know that there hasn't been any side-by-side comparo's done in any publication as of yet, and word from inside Audi headquarters is that there won't be one because the company doesn't want comparo's like this one to happen. Whether we like it or not the automotive companies have a huge weight on what does and does not get printed. If you want to read to articles that talk about the new vehicles side by side get the newest copy of the Robb Report, December 2002, pgs. 96 and 104.
  • gwhiz1gwhiz1 Member Posts: 4
    this ain't your daddy's cadillac. it's much better.

this car will appeal to many top end people. the size they'll love, and the styling in and out is gorgeous. audi has nailed it with the 04 A8 Audi. this car will steal many BMW 745 sales. i believe many will consider it the best sedan under 100k$. the quattro system can't be beat. nice going Audi, you're back. no second tier here.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    The only thing Audi really has left to do is dramatically improve their dealers & service service attitudes and actions. Very disappointing to go into a dealer as serious buyer and get treated across the board with nonchalant attitudes, disgusting service area, and general poor product knowledge. I'm not a techie or hard-core car guy, but I want to be treated with respect and responsiveness when I bring an auto in for service. And, hearing the service requirements that Audi's tend to require makes me concerned about how often I will be dealing with the service folks.

I absolutely love the looks and technology the A8 bring to the party. It will push everyone else to the next level too.
  • hsiklashsiklas Member Posts: 1
    any word on the 2004 S8 (horsepower, etc)?
This discussion has been closed.