Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• cmmjjjcmmjjj Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same vibration in my truck, at exactly 2000 RPM. The noise I have is best descibed as the card in a fan noise you describe. I have looked for a loose part in the engine compartment or under the truck with no luck. I have no idea what is causing the noise, I think it might just be an intense engine vibration.
  • mary9mary9 Member Posts: 1
    Get your truck to dealer asap if 5 cyl. we have canyon 04 purchased past summer. use it to make our living. been in shop now 5 weeks (third stay since first of year). Problem #3 injector fouls ,First replacement fouled before got 1,000 miles,2nd before left the shop,gm service bulletin said replace valve springs(3 weeks to get in)We took to shop a third time and here we are 5 weeks later and waiting for another part. all together since jan. truck has been down 9 weeks So FAR. I have no truck no way to make a living and the obligation to make payments on what don't have. Asked to have motor replaced Answer no by dealer and gm, and not getting help to replace so can get back to work. Please get yours repaired so can enjoy your truck.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Do you have a lemon law in your state. If so I would say it is time to enforce it. Also makes a very good bargaining chip. :lemon:
  • matt30matt30 Member Posts: 27
    Colorado:
    Approach/Departure angles: 29/26
    Minimum Ground Clearance: 8.5 inches
    Turning Radius: 40.0 feet.

Frontier:
    Approach/Departure angles: 32.6/23.3
    Minimum Ground Clearance: 10.1
    T-case ratio: 2.57

Tacoma:
    Approach/Departure angles: 35/26
    Minimum Ground Clearance: 9.4
    T-case ratio: 2.57
  • crabbagecrabbage Member Posts: 1
    Regarding the French cars - It is said that “no one builds cars like the French and the French build cars like no one.” Having said this - I've been reading the thread regarding the Colorado/Canyon because I am considering purchasing one. I currently live in Luxembourg (next door to France) and am repatriating back to the states this summer. I do have to admit that I currently drive a French car. Yes, it is true – a Renault no less. It is wonderful – really! It is a 2001 Laguna Break (station wagon) with a 1.9 L turbo-Diesel coupled to a 6 speed manual. 200 kph (124 mph) on the autobahn is no problem, 33 mpg for a total of mixed city and autobahn loaded with a family of 4 and all of our luggage during vacations. The road manners are well defined and the feedback through the steering wheel, accelerator and seat are first rate. The thing handles like it’s on rails. I have something like 32K miles on it. Maybe I shouldn’t mention the fire. Oops! Actually, since it is Diesel there was no risk, but the glow plug stayed on after start and overheated one of the coolant lines: lots of white smoke and smell – but easily corrected. It is hard to pin a bad rap on Renault for this one – yes they did source it and build it into in the car but . . . Otherwise it has been a superb car. I will be sorry to give it up when we leave.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    A Renault? Best laugh I had all day. Thanks.
    Renault, that reminds me of that other car made for a few years from Poland I think, it was like $1995 and they used the dies etc. they bought from Italys fiat. A piece of junk just like every Renault that ever crossed the big mud puddle.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I now have 2600 miles on my 05 Colorado. Absolutely no problems. I'm very impressed with the build quality. Great truck for a great price. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best value in the compact truck market.
    Which cab? Which engine? Which transmission? Thanks.
    Extended cab, 4 banger, 5 speed.
  • aficio63aficio63 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Colorado for one year. I am taking it in for the check engine light for the second time. The first time they "updated" the software and the light went away. Hopefully it will be this simple when I bring it in tomorrow.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    over 14 mos, almost 17k miles and my 2004 Canyon crew cab, I5, auto, 4WD has given me no problems. Well, except on hot days the outside temp sensor (the one in the auto dim RVM) takes about 15 minutes to get accurate)
    We love it for traveling; typical hwy mileage is 22-24mpg running 60-70 mph.
    What are people's opinion on the ride with Z71 shocks? Is it much firmer then the stock shocks or do they still provide a compliant ride with better body motion control? I love the soft ride of my base suspension but the front end bobs a bit too much over bigger bumps and the rear starts sagging with weight quicker then I think it should. Are the regular shocks hydraulic and the Z71 gas? Would it be a good upgrade or should I look into Bilstein gas shocks? I just want a bit more control and load carrying capacity while retaining a compliant ride. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Can't really answer your question as I haven't road in one with stock shocks plus ride to different people mean different things. What I think is a soft ride, the next person may think it is harsh. I do have a Trailblazer and Colorado Crew both are Z71's and I think they ride great. But if I was looking for an upgrade I would go aftermarket like the Bilsteins and I would guess they would be better than the Z71's and I wouldn't be surprised if you could get them cheaper too.
  • gmiller1977gmiller1977 Member Posts: 14
    Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2005 Chevy Colorado (std cab, automatic, 4 cylander). It's the first pick up I've owned, and the first domestic vehicle I've purchased aswell (I've always bought Toyota's in the past).

I'm very happy with the truck. Fit and finish seems good, no real problems to report. However, I'm experiencing a few oddities that I can't put my finger on:

1) strange "whining" sound when the AC compressor is running. I believe there is a TSB for this, and I believe it's the same problem that others in this forum has posted.

2) on "cooler" mornings, there is a noise coming from under the hood. I can't figure out what it is. It's not the normal "the engine is cold sound", and it disappears when I drive half a block and does not come back. It's not present all the time. It's a very "high reving" type sound. It's hard to explain.

Can anyone shed some light on the above items?
    I think the high-revving sound is the radiator fan. It initially runs at high speed when first started and then drops down to normal. Mine too gives off a loud rushing/revving sound at first startup, but disappears within the first 1/4 mile. This is how hydraulic clutch actuated fans operate so don't worry.
  • erslincolnerslincoln Member Posts: 2
    Wow. Yeah. Um, All 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton non-Allison transmissions are built it Strasbourg, France.

4L30-E, 4L60-E, 4L80-E.

So, if you've got a non-Allison Silverado, Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, Sierra, Astro, Safari, Express, Escalade (of any variety), or Savana, you've got French tranny. That includes, also, all Isuzu 4WD and RWD vehicles built after 1991 equipped with an automatic, as well as, get this, a Honda Passport and Acura SLX, which are, in actuality, rebadged Isuzus, anyway.
  • erslincolnerslincoln Member Posts: 2
    Make no mistake, everyone, your Colorados are built by Isuzu. It is a GM engine, thankfully, since Isuzu builds no good engines except for diesels, which are excellent. So excellent in fact, that there is a 6.6-liter living well in the United States in all Duramax-equipped trucks. Yep, it's Isuzu-built.

Here's the thing:

GM owns a 20% market share in Fuji Heavy Industries, which owns Isuzu and Subaru.

Isuzu builds Duramax engines and the Colorado/Canyon body for GM. Isuzu also provides small diesel engines to Honda, who in turn, provided GM with the 3.5L gasser that's in the V6 Saturn Vue, and is the same lump that exists in the Honda Pilot, Ridgeline, and Odyssey vehicles.

GM owns SAAB, who needed an entry-level car. You'll notice upon looking at it that all of the SAAB 9-2x specifications are REALLY similar to those of the Subaru Impreza. That is why those in the know call it the "SAABaru."

Back to the Colorado/Canyon. If you go to the Isuzu site, you'll notice that Isuzu will soon be releasing a new truck. Looks a LOT like the Colorado/Canyon doesn't it?

Rest assured, though, you have purchased a great truck. It's very tough, relatively inexpensive, and will last a very long time. Isuzu knows how to build compact trucks, they just do a junk job with gas-powered engines.

Case in point - around 40% of the people who purchased Isuzu vehicles with the non-Direct Injection 3.5L engine have had MAJOR engine issues. These vehicles include: Axiom, Vehicross, Trooper, Acura SLX. The 6VE1 was a piece of junk.

So, GM opted to build the engine for the new mid-size truck, and I'm glad they did. It's the perfect combination.

It's too bad the S-10 was such a heap. I like GM trucks, but hated the S-10.

Having said all of this, I am putting in my order next week on a new crew-cab Xtreme. I can't wait.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    :D I`ve had my Colorado 4x4 3.5L extended cab with auto trans for about 10 mths. No problems with anything. I changed tires first thing to a tire that is a little more aggressive for mud and no vibration. I`ve been looking at auto adds and the Colorado seems to be holding it`s value very good in this part of the country ( TN). I believe I like this truck better than any truck I`ve ever owned. "Try one".
    The Colorado is not built by Isuzu; it was designed by Isuzu. Big difference. All Colorados are built in Louisiana, not Japan. It would not make economic sense for Chevy to outsource the building of the truck in Japan. Only component outsourcing makes sense at this time. Thus why you see the Equinox's engine built in China, but not the whole truck.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Make no mistake, everyone, your Colorados are built by Isuzu.
    You are mistaken!
    Actually, Colorado and Canyon are built by GM in a GM plant in Shreveport, Louisiana.
    GM does however, build trucks at Shreveport for Isuzu.
    Isuzu DMax are manufactured in Thailand and are not imported due to 15% tariff known as "chicken tax".
    I just wanted to post to thank lngtonge18 re: the whooshing sound I hear some mornings. He was 100% right, it was the rad fan. I heard it a couple days ago and checked :)

I love my 'rado :)
    No problem. Glad I could help you feel better about your new truck.
    In case other owners haven't heard yet, the Colorado earned a good rating in the offset impact. It wasn't rated a best pick due to some possible lower leg injuries, but overall, it held up well structurally and there were no airbag and dummy movement problems. Thanks for designing a safe truck Chevy!
  • fluffy1128fluffy1128 Member Posts: 1
    Chev just issued a "bulletin" on this. It requires replacement of certain valve exhaust springs to fix. Mine has been in 4 times for the same problem, and the bulletin just cameout this week.
  • jlb2jlb2 Member Posts: 18
    My new colorado does the same thing,didnt know what it was but do now. Thanks
    Anyone having problems with tires or wheels [shimmy] ? I have General tires.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Just received the new Car and Driver in the mail yeasterday and they compare 5 midsize pickups. The Colorado is at the bottom and by a pretty wide margin. Some negatives were the I5 engine power compared to the newer Japanese V6 plants, the rental car interior, and the worst comment was: it seemed that GM did not even try to come up with some thing that was better and had more features.
    The winner was the new Honda Ridgeline, no suprise.
  • madridjoemadridjoe Member Posts: 28
    I sell Chevys in Central Fl. and yes we have had some trouble with those Generals on the Colorados. At my dealership, once you have over 500 miles we replace any tires that are causing a problem, Chevrolet say's we have to wait till then to be sure the problem is not from sitting on the lot.
  • dmcfarlanddmcfarland Member Posts: 2
    I bought a colorado almost a year ago and it has been the most problematic vehicle that I have ever owned. Since day one it has been nothing but problems, every month something goes wrong. The list is repairs I have had is insane. The list is as follows: complete replacement of front right wheel bearing (you cannot just replace the bearing it has to be the whole assembly, new exhaust manifold, new evap, new evap vent valve, new O2 senser, rear brake shoes have been replaced twice on each side, front left blinker sticks and will not go off, new rear brake tail light harness, front right blinker gives problems to weather it is even going to work or not, new fuel pump, the three little scews that is behind the gas cap door, that holds the gas hose in place, 2 are missing, the air bag light in the dash will not go off, the switch in the door jam has gone out so the radio plays non stop unles you go and open and shut the passenger door, the plastic is rubbing off of the stereo buttons, you cannot even read the words on half of the buttons anymore, the injectors have clogged up twice. I have put 40K on this pickup, and that is not near enough miles to have this many problems.i consistantly put 200K on my pickups about every 2 years. I have had problems with other vehicles but nothing remotely near this many problems. So I call General Motors, the first gentlemen was very polite and says he is sorry and said that he could offer me a $1500 incentive if I would buy another general motors product. To me $1500 bucks is not near enough for the amount of time that I have spent sitting at these damn chevy dealerships. Plus not only this but my colorado this go around has been in the shop for 9 DAYS straight, because they cannot get parts. So that puts me in a rental for 9 DAYS, My protection plan only cover for 3 days. I call GM back and they say they cannot help me with that. The the service tech says, sir there sure is alot of mud under here, I said OK and? He told me straight to me face that I need to keep this little pick up out of the mud because the evap cant handle it. It is not designed for this, I said it is a Z71 OFFROAD, again OFFROAD, he said it doesnt matter it will not habdle it. So again I call chevy and they simply say I'm sorry to make it short. DO NOT BUY A COLORADO, if you have not had problems then you are damn lucky, because I have found out I am not the only victom of these sorry pieces of junk. The chevy tech himself said he would get rid of it. That he wishes he new me before I bought it. GM Sucks, I will never ever ever buy another GM product again. Not just because of the colorado, but because of how they have treated me over this whole situation.
    Gee, I feel for you. Vehicle repairs are never fun... but, I gotta ask some stuipid questions here.... please realize, I'm not some chevy fan boy, I just bought my truck :)

> complete replacement of front right wheel bearing

Why was this done? You were just driving along and suddenly the bearing shredded itself? There is almost always a cause/reaction on vehciles.

> new exhaust manifold

Strange. This happened on both of the Corolla's in my family.... after about 4 years of course. Was the bottom of the manifold made to come into contact with anything while is was warm?

> rear brake shoes have been replaced twice on each side

Again, I have to ask why? Accessive breaking? Driving like a lunatic?

> the switch in the door jam has gone out so the radio plays non stop unles you >go and open and shut the passenger door

Ummm.... why not just press the power button?

> the three little scews that is behind the gas cap door, that holds the gas hose in >place, 2 are missing

These things don't "fall out".

> "sir there sure is alot of mud under here"

I guess the main questions is, are the above repairs due to improper use / off road use? Just because you have the "off road" suspension doesn't mean your vehicle is indestructable. Nor does it make the other "common" parts of your truck any more durable. You have the same brakes I do on my Z81, nothing different about the engines, etc.

In my manual for my 05 Colorado it says something along the lines of "Offroading can be fun, but remember you are driving a motorized vehicle". It also mentions cleaning off debris after you are done with your fun, driving in salty winter conditions, etc. I mean, to me this is just common sense.

Did you buy this vehicle new from a Chevy dealer? Of the 40k that you have, how much of it has been off road driving?

Trucks are typically more durable than cars. However, if you drive them much harder than a car, that durability will wear down.

With only 40K on it, why wasn't this stuff taken care of under warranty? I'm not sure if you are talking miles or kilometers, but either way, 40k is pretty low and I'm sure some of these items appeared during the warranty period.
  • dmcfarlanddmcfarland Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply,

The front right wheel bearing> the stearing started getting sloppy so I took it in, and they said it was the wheel bearing. That is all I know, so they simply fixed it. This was at about 15k.

The exhaust manifold was cracked> Here the vehcile was idleing rough and there was excessive noise, again I take it in and they said t his was the problem, after I got the colorado back the problem was fixed and on the invoice it showed the new exhaust manifold this was around 18k.

The rear brake shoes> I drive this pickup no different than any of my other previous trucks. I drive an average of 200 miles a day, there is no reason why these brake shoes should go bad.

Switch in the door jam> what power button? there is no power button to turn that switch off and on, When I open the door there was no cargo light and the radio wouldnt shut off, I dont know why but it didnt.

The screws on the gas cap> There are three there, you tell me why the damn things are missing, they were there when it was new and now they are not. Probably because they are plastic, again I dont know.

I know that you do not mean to be rude in asking these questions, and I appreciate the response. The fact is I have never once been offroading in this truck. I do live in west Texas which is alot more descelent than just about the rest of the united states. So we do drive on dirt roads on different occasions through out most of the year and at times the road are muddy, but I have never been OFFROAD. This vehicle has never left a county road EVER. My job has me driving all over all of the time. Sometime 7 days a week. Again this is no different than any of my other trucks. They easily make the 200 mile mark with few problems. Of course there has been the transmition replacement on a couple but for as many vehicles that I have had it is been far and in between to have problem after problem and never ever near as many problems as this colorado. I am not a mechanic and dont claim to be, but when three mechanics tell me that the colorado is a very poorly built truck, I have to tend to believe them being that they work on the every day. Plus with the problems I have had with mine, I think it just proves it. Now maybe someone that just does some city driving from work and back maybe this truck is right for them. But I would definetley stay away from them. All I am trying to do is share the problems I have had with this particular colorado. Myabe they are not all this way, but again the mechanics say they are pretty problematic. As matter of fact one of the mechanics exact words were these were the biggest pieces of SH_T that chevy has ever produced. This was a mechanic out of Crane, TX, the other two mechanic is in Austin, TX. Yes most of every thing has been under warranty. Except for the last occurance which was the fuel pump, O2 senser and the vent valve. The mechanic did tell me that the Colorado does not like dirt or mud. He said that the EVAP could not handle it. He said on all of the chevy truck line that the evaps give problems consistantly. Something about where it was located or something. Please feel free to call James at Sewell Chevrolet in Crane, Texas and ask him yourself. He will tell you, he is not bashful. He is the one that said he wishes that he knew that I was going to buy one and he would have stopped me. Again thanks for the reply, I wish I could tell you exactly why these things have happened, hell I wish chevy could tell me what was wrong with this damn thing. But when you get a reply from chevy saying that these things happen on the first year a vehicle comes out instead of saying, sir I am very sorry for your problems, lets see what we ca do to get these problems fixed. This truck has not been improperly used and has never been offroad except for an occasional dirt road. I hope really hope every one else has better luck with there colorado than I have. I am not here to bash chevy, but I am very pissed that they do not back there product any better than this. I dont expect a new truck or anything else. All I simply expect is an apology and some help in getting the problem fixed. I expect chevy to step up to the plate. Sorry for such a long winded story but it is the truth and I just want other people to know what I have been through and what several chevy mechanics are saying about the colorado.
    Switch in the door jam> what power button? there is no power button to turn that switch off and on, When I open the door there was no cargo light and the radio wouldnt shut off, I dont know why but it didnt.
    If what you are saying that you know of no power button to turn off the radio then I'm not sure you should be driving any vehicle. :P
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    No need for the rude remark.

On late model GM vehicles, the electrical circuits remain on after the ignition is shut down, allowing power to the accessories. This includes the radio. When the driver's door is opened, the circuit is supposed to shut down and this will turn off the radio. Sounds like dmcfarland has a faulty switch in his driver's door, as that would cause both the light issue and the radio staying on.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Do you have a 666 in the vin number?
  • clane13169clane13169 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any info on where I can buy "GM Mud Flaps" made for the 2004 Chevy Colorado. I’ve bought and returned two sets from Auto Palace and Pep Boys that both stated they fit my truck. Not the case.
    I want to buy the same ones the dealer would purchase but with out the markup and installation rate. Anyone. :confuse:
    I bought mine from the GM dealer and installed them myself. It was a very easy job and took about 30 min. You can also look on ebay, they have alot of things for Colorado`s. :)
    Did you have to drill any new holes to mount them or were you able to use the mounts for the (small) fender flares?
    Yes but it was very simple.
    Hmm.. Not sure I want to drill holes into the fender carriage....
    I'd hate to have a rust problems in a couple of years.
    Thanks
    :confuse:
    Most flaps you'll have to drill to mount. I have mine and they look really good. The dealer I bought from drills and then dressed the holes with some RTV(silicon adhesive) before mounting the screws. This will protect against rust.
    That`s what I did with mine too. The mud flap makes the truck look more robust and also helps keep rocks from hitting the lower fenders.
    I saw and heard a 5cyl colorado with duels it sounds very very smooth.Ive read that the spare must be removed for the pipes on each side.Im going to do a Megaflow 14in. and run the duel pipes side by side.The overhead cam engines are much more quite than the pushrod. JB. :)
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    Madridjoe, you mentioned something about your dealership replacing the OE General tires on Colorados after 500 miles. Would you mind explaining what GM is doing about the General tires on the Colorado/Canyons? In mid-January, I purchased a 2005 Canyon Z-71 which had the General tires as OE. They were horrible, however I put snow tires on the truck within a week of purchasing it.

I read either here, or at Tire Rack's website that GM had issued a "service advisory" about the tires. I spoke with my GMC dealer a couple of weeks later, and they said that, "Yes, there is an advisory", however GM hadn't decided what to do. "Check back with us before you take off the snow tires", was their final comment.

Well, I checked back, they said that they still hadn't heard anything definitive from GM, so I bought 4 wheels and "summer" tires, as Blizzaks and warm weather don't mix. Was I hasty in my actions, and gyp myself out of a "free" tire replacement from GM? Thanks for any info you can provide!
  • ndfarndfar Member Posts: 19
    Where is the outside temperature sensor for the the rearview mirror? My seems to have a problem when it sits in the sun. The outside temp is 70 and it reads 40. After about 10 minutes it might go to 45. But when the truck sits in the garage overnight the temp is right on in the morning. :confuse:
    the sensor isn't in the mirror - the read out LED is, sorry if I confused. I don't know where the actual sensor is located but I've had several other rigs with this feature and never had the issue. Per the shop GM knows about this and I asked them to check into a TSB again.
  • disapointeddisapointed Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I bought our cute little red ZQ8 Colorado last June. We have had NOTHING but problems out of it. At 7,000 miles we had the complete engine replaced, then had to take it back on 2 other occasions in the same month for other problems. Now, May, we have it back because it is leaking coolant and when you flip on the air, stuff comes flying out of the vents. So...my advice...which is completely our opinion and experience. Don't buy the Colorado...
    Sounds good. I'll plan to do the same, once I get my truck back from the dealer.
    It's been in the shop three time to try to remedy an annoying rattle sound in the left panel between the front and rear door.
    It's driving me crazy!
    Thanks.
    :mad:
  • seattle3seattle3 Member Posts: 1
    Boy I wish I would have known all this when I purchased my Colorado in late November, but should have know something was up when I had trouble with the truck first day. We drove it off the lot after signing the papers and the dash menu quit working. It ended up that the main brain was toast. It took the dealer 2 months to get hold of a part from the factory and so no way of knowing what the mileage was or any other thing going on with the truck. Now this morning the truck won't start and it reads ABS fault or something like that. At least it is under warranty, but the reason I purchased this vehicle was so my son would have a safe and reliable vehicle to drive. This is really showing him. Wonder how long it will sit at the dealership this time and how much the towing bill will be. :cry: Should have kept the old Ford aerostar van from his grampa.
    I just hit 4000 miles on my 05 Z85 and so far not one single problem. It's been perfect! Even the General tires have been ok (only a slight imbalance feeling to them, but they don't shake the truck). I've noticed no oil burning and mileage on my last tank was a very impressive 25 mpg with all city/suburban driving. There was one instance when the truck was started, it made a grinding sound like the starter was still engaged so I shut the truck off and then immediately restarted it. At that time, the passlock light was flashing but mysteriously stopped. I'm not sure if I confused it with the rapid restarting or what, but it hasn't happened again so I'm not concerned. Even though all my driving is in the city, the change oil light hasn't come on yet. If it doesn't come on by 5k, I'll go ahead and change the oil anyway, but then follow it from there on out and see if it saves unnecessary oil changes like GM says.

This is my first American made car and I'm very very impressed. I highly recommend this truck for the budget-minded truck shopper.
This discussion has been closed.