Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Good news. Hopefully this will fix your valve spring problem for good.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    I just took a long weekend trip PDX to San Jose with our 04 Canyon Crew 4WD. No issues and I think this truck cruises just fine, (I changed the General tires after a few hundred miles even though I was having no problems.)
    Total miles was over 1400 and averaged 20.8 mpg for the trip. I was hauling a load of child furniture and stuff ~ 500 lbs, plus my daughter and our stuff.
    Worst tank was 18.6 mpg (65-75mph with a 20-30 mph head wind)
    Best tank was 22.3 mpg (65-75 mph with hills and several MT passes)
    They run 10% ethanol in CA and Oregon metro areas during the winter so the mileage is in line with what I expected. I usually see about a 10% drop in mileage running the ethanol mix.
    So far I'm having few complaints, one blown resistor on the fan board in 2 years and 27k+ miles. :)
  • remoteraycerremoteraycer Member Posts: 17
    Maybe the dealer meant tune up interval not oil change interval.
    I've owned full sized Chevy & GMC as well as an S10(Sonoma) - the Ford I had a few years back doesn't count.(It was a dog). I can say that the Canyon has been as reliable as any full size and drives more like a full size (smoother, better tracking and handling of the bumps). I think it is heads above the S10.
    Mileage-wise it does better than the full size by about 15%-20% and better than my 4 cyl 2WD Sonoma did. I was lucky to hit 21mpg hwy with the Sonoma.
    The Tacoma, Frontier & Dakota have all been redesigned since I bought the Canyon. At the time I bought it, I thought it was better than those generation Dakota & Frontier and roomier than the previous Tacoma. It was the best value at the price I paid. (List was ~$31300 and I paid $28500 less some GM Card bucks).
    I'm quite happy with it.
  • hdbobhdbob Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE 05 COLORADO EXCAB 4X4 I5 AUTO Z71 PACKAGE 5000 MILES
    I GET ABOUT 12 TO 14 MPG AROUND TOWN I EXPECTED EO GET ABOUT 18 MPG ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH POOR GAS MILEAGE
    I get that or better fuel economy out of my '06 full size Silverado Z71 4X4 crew cab with 5.3 V8, 4 speed auto, and 3.73 gears. Last time I checked, for 80% city and 20% highway driving I got about 15 MPG. For my truck this is pretty much normal. However, Colorado should do better, or something is wrong with the laws of physics. Do you drive your truck hard, i.e. jackrabbit starts, full throttle acceleration,etc?
  • rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    That sounds like a problem. I have always gotten consistently around or a little above 18 mpg combined (probably closer to 19)in my 05 Colorado. I would bring it back to the dealer and see if the internal engine computer needs to flashed to the newest version of firmware. Essentially it is the program that controls how your engine runs. I had a similar problem with the mileage in my Olds Bravada about four years ago or so and that seemed to straigten it out without having to do anything mechanical.
    I would also experiment with different brands of gasoline, perhaps try different octanes too to see if there is any positive impact on fuel economy. I found out that mileage in my Mazda can vary by as much as 3 MPG with different fuels. I would definitely stay away from the cheapest gas because they may use excessive amount of cheap additives that will lower you mileage.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I live in North East Ohio, and from around November thru April they add extra additives to the gas to prevent fuel line freeze ups. This will also effect your mileage.

Ken
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    I have a 95 GMC Sonoma 4x4 4.3 TBI with 110,000. When I read/heard that GM was going to put a neutered I6 = I5 I did not even bother looking at their replacement for my 95 Sonoma. I concentrated my efforts on the Taco and Frontier. Frontier is my choice because this is what I wish GM would have built when they choose to replace the S10.
    If GM had announced that in 07, they would offer a V6 I might have waited. Unfortunately, the only upgrade they plan on doing is to make the I5 3.5 to 3.7, which will help but still not enough to sway me from buying a 06 or 07 Frontier.
  • gearhead9gearhead9 Member Posts: 4
    Anybody have any problems with rear main seal leak on the L5 engine. I have an 2006, crew cab, L5 engine, total miles 2200. I have owned it two months and it has been to the dealer three times (18 days). The last time I brought it in to the dealer the cable for the transmission fell off. I have owned chevy's for over 25 years, but this is my last one.
    Read the new message on the board on L-5 engine. It doesn't sound good.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have an 05 and tonight I noticed graininess in the windshield. I tried using the washer fluid to wash it off, thinking it was dirt. I then thought someone had sprayed something on it. I ran my hand over it and it is smooth to the touch. It looks like grains of sand in the windshield and is really noticeable. I have 5700 miles on it and this is the first time I have noticed it.
    If you have a rear main oil seal leak, the transmission has to come out for the seal replacement. It is an expensive repair. This should not happen on a new truck. I had a rear main oil seal leak on my 95 Nissan 4X4 V6 pickup, but after 10 years/90k miles. Actually it was not the seal itself that leaked , but a paper gasket behind the rear main oil seal frame. They did not use sealant on it at the factory and the oil pressure finally destroyed the gasket. This oil leak ruined my perfectly good clutch, so I had the seal, paper gasket, and the clutch replaced to the tune of $ 1,200. If the clutch was not ruined, the seal or paper gasket replacement alone would have been about $ 850 because transmission and transfer case have to come out.
    A rear main seal leak is serious and with your low miles, looks like your truck wasn't assembled correctly. My 2004 Crew 4WD has been solid (almost 28k miles in just over 2 years.)
    If you bought it new or as a demo from the dealer, I'd start pushing the dealer to replace it. If you bought it used, I'd start talking to the dealer and the regional manager about working out a decent compromise to replace it...
    The Colorado is really an Isuzu. Not counting my Canyon, I've owned 3 Chevy/GMC trucks plus 2 El Camino's and all were very reliable...
  • 0colorado50colorado5 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 05 colorado Z85 reg. cab I-5 auto trans with 17k and if im running my stock wheels around town I get 23+ mpg running 87 octane and if im running my 20x8 wheels I get 21 mpg as long as im not getting heavy on the pedal and doing the speed limits. I haven't been on a road trip with it so I cant give ny 2cents on that one.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    That is interesting in that glass is made out of sand, but you shouldn't see it.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    Thanks for your reply. As you say, glass is made out of sand. Honestly, you can the grains all over the front windshield. This has to go down as the wierdest problem I have ever had with a vehicle. I know the dealer will think: this guy is off his rocker. That is until he gets in and looks at it.
    Glass is about 90% sand, which is the source of silica oxide in glass. Other ingredients are feldspar, soda ash, and small quantities of other minerals that will end up as oxides in molten glass. Sand melts at temperatures over 2000 degrees F and some time is required for the molten glass to sit in a tank to refine. Different temperature zones in a glass metler will ensure that complete mixing and melting will take place by creating convection currents. Perhaps the glass they made your windshield from did not fully go through this process. No matter what the cause, there should be no visible grains of sand embedded in glass.

Another interesting topic would be glass annealing, which, when done improperly, can cause a pane of glass to suddenly shatter before your eyes: this is due to trapped internal stresses as the glass cools. This is the cause of some sunroof pannel shattering without warning in some new cars.
  • jlb2jlb2 Member Posts: 18
    They do block to much of the rear view,i cut them out through the back of the seat and now alls well. JB. :)
  • jlb2jlb2 Member Posts: 18
    My 05 Colorado Crew, Z71 I-5cyl,auto ,340rear,2wheel dr[with locker],is a year old now .With 6700 miles gets 19to20mpg around town,20to21mpg freeway 65 to70mph,alcohol mix gas.I[always] oil change with Pins 5-30 at 3700miles.Replaced the 265/75/15 Generals with Yokahama 265/70/15[reads 3miles slower],replaced a door speaker.The engine,trans all else run fine,the body size is between the other midsizes and halftons.Always had 8 and 6cyl but figure with the new eng tec plus the times are a changeing,the 5cyl is very smooth.And i hope it might help save another good american job. Good Luck. :) JB.
  • hdbobhdbob Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE 05 COLORADO EXCAB 4X4 I5 AUTO Z71 PACKAGE 3.73 REAR GEARS ABOUT 5000 MILES ON IT
    I GET ABOUT 14 MPG AROUND TOWN I EXPECTED TO GET ABOUT 18 MPG. I GET ABOUT 19+ MPG ON THE HIGHWAY. I TRY TO TAKE OFF SLOW I TRY NOT TO GO OVER 2500 RPM .THE SPEED LIMITIS ONLY ABOUT 40 MPH TO GO TO WORK THE TRUCK HARDLY GOES IN TO OD ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH POOR GAS MILEAGE
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    you'll have better luck if you turn off your CAPITAL letters and that is concidered shouting and also harder to read. :shades:
    This truck was purchased new from the dealer. I have contacted chevy customer service four times and they WILL NOT replace the truck or offer anything--What a waste of time. :lemon: The dealer is trying to work something out with me.
    On the rear main seal leak. They put in three seals and looked at two or three other ones and refused to use them because they looked bad. Chevy finally sent them a redesigned 2007 seal installed in its own housing. The dealer spoke to the enginneering designer of the engine and he said he has seen this problem before, but when I contacted "customer service" :sick: they said there is no problem with this engine.
    They tested the truck running it on the stand for two hours and a fourty mile rode test. So Chevy gets to test there problems on my truck with no compensation to me.
    Chevy is losing market share and having a problem attracting new customers but they also are having a problem holding onto the customer that they have.
    An update on this truck. It also has been to the dealer for two wheel alignments and a rear window replacement.
    What can I say but this truck is a :lemon:
  • atlvibeatlvibe Member Posts: 109
    Maybe it's time to seek legal action. Check and see how your states Lemon Laws apply. Then contact the BBB and open a case. Then contact an attorney that works in this field. The manufactor will buy it back if you jump thru enough hoops. Show them that you mean business.
  • pjjbmpjjbm Member Posts: 12
    Did the new head fix the problem? I was wondering why they did the head instead of the updated value springs and seals. Did they tell you anything or was it more of the TOP SECRET game? I am concerned, because I only got the updated value springs and seals (#719). Do I have more issues that I do not know about? Currently, my 2005 Colorado 2.8 has 20,000 miles on it.

I think I finally found the cause of my intermittent engine shut-down. On a hunch, I changed the fuel filter. You would NOT believe the dirt that ran out of the filter. It looked like lint and plastic grindings. It appears the gas tank was dirty when the truck was built! It is now going on 1,000 miles since the new fuel filter and I have not yet had any engine shut-downs. Amazing...
    I am not aware that GM ever admitted to the valve spring problem on the 4 cylinder. I obtained an internal number PIP3039H that talks about the same issue. I was able to get GM to replace the valve springs on my 2005 2.8 cylinder after much nagging. The new exhaust springs and seals got rid of the strong gas smell in the engine oil.
    I had a A/C wistle/hiss noise issue with my 2005 Colorado and got GM to apply Bulletin 04-01-38-012A. That cleared up the A/C noise.
  • whizowhizo Member Posts: 1
    ;) I was wondering if anyone had a diagram for a 2005 colorado Mass Airflow Sensor (cold air intake area) I am attempting to install a power chip and need to know what color the V+ is. Thanks -
  • pmurraypmurray Member Posts: 10
    As far as I can tell it is fine. I am glad they replaced my head instead of just the springs and seals like they did on yours. It is still TOP SECRET with GM, I guess they are trying to keep any problems quiet but in my case it is the opposite. I had never been on one of the message boards until I was trying to find out about my problem, if someone had just given me a straight answer I probably would have never posted anything. Now that I look at the board it does sound like there may be some problems, but not too bad. I still do like my truck and don't see any other good options if you care about gas mileage. I love Toyota and had them for 25 years but the new ones are big gas hogs.
    Yeah, TOP SECRET. Just like the piston slap, which they apparently did not fix after all. This really irrates me. Why can't they come clean and basically say that they have no intention of producing quality vehicles and instead of a fix they will use Bandaids to merely delay the problem discovery?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Somewhere here (or on the Canyon board) someone posted info about the 2007 Colorado/Canyon having increased horsepower (not increased displacement/# of cylinders, but maybe a software upgrade).

Just wondering where that info was found, and if anyone knew how this HP increase would impact fuel economy (if at all).
  • gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    A small diesel does look like the wave of the future. It will probably come from Chrysler/Mercedes. The E320 comes out this fall, 35mpg and hopes to be 50 state legal using Blutec to clean things up, Jeep will be next.

An Isuzu making 150hp and 350lb of torque doesn't seem possible.
    GM has a turbo diesel (not their eng) SUV coming out in Europe with 150hp, 310lb of torque at 2,ooo rpm that gets 29mpg.
  • gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    I forgot to mention the Diesel Beetle gets 37 city and 44 hwy with much less power numbers.
    The TDI diesel versions of the 2006 Volkswagen Beetle come with VW's innovative
    Direct ... It makes 100 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque and can get about 40 mpg.
  • klumppklumpp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Colorado with 3000 miles. My torque converter disengages when I drive between 55 and 60 miles per hour. It’s been to the dealer ship 3 times. The result is the same normal operation. Is any one else having this problem?
    link">
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Chrysler is using a small diesel 4 cylinder in there small Jeep four door (can't think of the model name) and it is popular, but the engine is really garbage, and costs several thousand extra as an option. The engine they are using is said to be old technology, under powered, and very inefficient with fuel. It is rated at 22/26, but real world testing has net about 18 in one test that I was following. Jeep owners would have better luck with the standard 4 cylinder engine.

Why would an Isuzu engine meeting your power figures be impossible? Isuzu is one of the biggest diesel engine producing companies in the world. They already have engines with figures such as what you have listed, or pretty close to it. They also helped design and produce the GM Duramax diesel engine.
    I have found on the NHTSA website that there was a person with a rear main seal leak that occurred one year ago (1/21/2005). My problem occurred Jan 2006, that is one year later! :confuse:
    Is it too hard for GM to recognize a serious engine problem one year ago and fix it? Why did I have to go back to the dealer for 3 times and a total of 18 days to get this repaired? So as I have stated before Chevy gets to test there problems on my truck with no compensation to me. :cry:
    GM better wait up and listen to their customers, because if not they are going to be ex-customers. :sick:
  • mike2250mike2250 Member Posts: 29
    This is normal. It is between 45 and 60 depending on driving conditions that the torque convertor allows the transmission into overdrive, The only time you should really feel it, is if you are hanging around that speed range or if you are particularly trying to feel it. Relax and enjoy your truck.
  • mike2250mike2250 Member Posts: 29
    Is anyone else using a lot of brake fluid? I have an 05 Z71 crew cab I5 and auto trans. I use an 8 oz bottle every two months. If not I have a very inconsistent pedal. The dealer could find no leaks but replaced the master cylinder anyway. There has been no major improvement. Anyone else have a problem like this or some idea as to what to look for. thanks :confuse:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I have found on the NHTSA website that there was a person with a rear main seal leak
    You found 1 person at that site and you think the world has fallen apart. Come on, shall they stop building them until you are happy or what. Things happen and you just happen to be one of the unlucky ones. You think things are better on the Toyota forums? How about there hybrid Prius. In the northern states when the wheels start spinning when they get stuck, all shuts down and you are out of luck. You think they are happy? No, but they still praise their purchase. Everyone thinks the sun sets on foregn junk but they are no better or worse then US made and we would be a whole lot better off in this country if more people bought American. :shades:
    Neighbor just bought Colorado 2wd z-71 crew cab. Competent truck for his Home Depot runner. However, it has the world's worst tires. General Ameritrac. These tires beat you to death out on the road. Suggestions?
    Are you kidding me? I have not added that much to any of my vehicles in 10 years! You have a leak somewhere. Take care of it ASAP before something bad happens. I wonder if the fluid is not leaking inside you brake power booster somehow. But you said they replaced the master cylinder.

One of the ABS system components could be leaking too.
    Yes, Buy a set of Michelin LTX M/S radials. Will last 70k miles without issues. If you go to dealer under warranty, you get a set of the same crappy Generals.(if they admit you have a problem with them in the first place).
    Jeep Liberty.
    P100 is correct. GM will not do anything more than replace the BAD tires with more Generals. Why would they put such an awful product on a new truck is beyond me. Sad, you have to spend more money on a brand new truck to correct a problem that's not the owner's fault. Off to the tire store we go.
  • tonkatruktonkatruk Member Posts: 11
    Gearhead9, could you please send me the link to this NHTSA posting related to the mainseal leak? I have researched this on the website and was unable to find it. I paid a local oil change shop to do a service at Christmas time and they left the oil filter loose. Long story short, the filter spun far enough loose on the way home to blow out the majority of oil. The mess went all over the bottom of my truck and I keep finding oil on the garage floor. THis shop is tryig to tell me that I have a "main seal" leak, which was never the case before this mess occured. They claim that this is a well known fact but have not been able to find any valid information supporting their claim. For the record, I really love this truck and haven't had any real issues other than this "stupidity" stunt by this business. On the other hand my wifes Toyota has had 2 serious brake system issues in the 36K miles she has put on it. Also, similar in weight/power ratio to my truck and she rarely can attain better than 15 mpg. Appreciate anything you can provide so that I can get the facts together before presenting my case to their regional manager. Thanks, Mark
  • tonkatruktonkatruk Member Posts: 11
    Is it at all possible that you purchased "dirty gas"? Seems like so many here are just grinding that ax against the Evil Chevrolet. I have purchased gas from Clark that had so much water in it that I had to have the entire fuel system flushed. Seems entirely possible that the gas was contaminated from any of the sources from the refinery, to the truck that delivered it, the guy who replaced the pump at the gas station or even more likely... the dirty underground storage tank. Why are many of you willing to put your hard earned bucks out for something and then look for any reason you can find to tear the manufacturer of that vehicle apart? Seems like this is an American problem. If a Honda has it's door lock mechanism stop latching (real story), it's minor technicality and it's such a quality vehicle. A Chevy Cobalt has a tail light burn out... It's a G*d Da%n piece of American crap and Chevy ought to be sued for putting it on the road. No wonder our economy is so messed up. :mad:
  • sjhonnsjhonn Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone put this new Skyjacker brand 4" lift on their Colorado and if so, what size wheels and tires will fit? :confuse:
  • vatakvatak Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2006 reg cab, 5 cyl, 4x4. Bought it about 3 months ago and it has about 3500 miles on it. Having had a very reliable S-10 for almost 10 years, I was hesitant to buy the new, unknown Chevy truck. But I really like this truck so far. It has a couple little irritations (the S-10 did too), but nothing significant or worth mentioning. I'm very satisfied and I think a lot of others with this truck are too.

Anyway, I agree. Americans make good trucks, but foreign companies are still riding the coat tails of their former quality superiority.
  • lynne77lynne77 Member Posts: 9
    I have an 04 Colorado with the I5 I started having issues with the check engine light. However the light kept resetting itself and then it stayed on longer. I took it in and it took the dealership 1 1/2 hours to figure out the problem. They had to order the valve springs. I dropped the truck off on a monday morning by thursday afternoon they called to tell me they had bad news the valve springs did not fix the problem. they had to call technical assistance at GM to find out what to do next. They had my truck for another week and 1/2 before I was able to pick it up. Total of 15days out of service. The day after I pick up my truck I noticed a bucking in the vehicle. I have another appointment at the dealership on Saturday for them to figure out what they messed up when they replaced the valve springs and the head. I really like my truck but the more I read about the problems everyone is having I think I will opt for a different Chevy product the next time. It seems like I may have to go to the lemon law on this one. Currently the truck has 27k. :lemon: :mad:
This discussion has been closed.