Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• pjjbmpjjbm Member Posts: 12
    Did I buy dirty gas? I guess anything is possible. The stuff that came out of the filter did not look like gas dirt. I have been having engine shut-down issues since it had 3,000 miles. I took it back to the dealer many times and "they couldn't figure it out". I finally changed the fuel filter at 20,000 miles and the shut-down problem went away. I told the dealer of the solution and their reply was "couldn't be".

This is my 14th GM vehicle. On the first 13, the vehicle was fixed when there were problems. This is not the first defect I have had with this vehicle. This in one of seven issues (three of them major). You tell me that I am complaining because it is American. I once owned a vehicle from one of those great German car builders and I'll never buy another car from them again! This Colorado is reminding me of that German car. I would rather buy American, but if it has issues, the car/truck builder should be expected to correct the problems.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    Don't accept that. That is too dangerous. What if the leak increases at some point in the future and you have brake failure. Make them give you a rental. GM will provide that. I had another problem and they provided one for me. Don't let that go!
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I sort of feel bad bragging about my 2004 ext cab 4x4 I5 but I have 27000 miles on it and no problems to speak of. I changed tires first thing so I didn`t have the tire problem. I love my truck because it does everything I ask it to do. I have had many chevy trucks in the past and I like this one the the best so far. I hope that all of the people that are having problems get through them and have a change to enjoy this truck, Good luck.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    My 2004 Canyon Crew 4WD I5 has been pretty much a champ for over 28k miles. My daily driver and although I changed the wheels and tires after a month or so of ownership, I never had any issues with them.
    I hope this forum isn't dominated by those with problems... I'm seeing quite a few Colorados/Canyons on the roads now and so far haven't seen any pulled over on the side of the road.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I feel the same way about the Colarado. I have a 2000 S10 with the 4.3 V6. I find this engine well matched to the size of the vehicle. I get 20 to 22 MPG on the highway and 16 to 18 MPG in city driving. For a totally new design, the 5 cylinder in the Colarado does not seem like much of an improvement given the huge drop in torque when compared to the S10's V6. I hope GM makes some improvements to the Colarado by the time I look for a new vehicle.
  • mike2250mike2250 Member Posts: 29
    Unless you are pulling tree stumps or doing some wild four wheeling, why do you need the amount of torque as the 4.6 liter in the S-10. Sure it's nice but off the line the S-10 bogs down due to the torque and the way the transmission is geared to use it. I have had experience with the S-10 and to tell you the truth; in my opinion I like the acceleration of my Colorado Z71 crew cab and I have plenty of torque for normal conditions. Don't forget the horsepower of the 3.5 is not that far off the 4.6. Just my two cents worth, but I'll stick with my I5. :)
    I have to say that my I5 is not as strong as my Corvette but it really suprises me when I pull out to pass a car. I installed a K&N filter and it seems to help at full throttle and it also helped my fuel milage 1 mpg. Someone was saying earler that the interior was cheep looking well I agree it`s not what you would expect on a truck that list for 23k-29k but I guess it grows on you. Unless something bad happends I will keep this truck for a long time and the next one will probility be another Colorado. Maybe GM will do a little better job on the little things on the newer trucks.
  • jlb2jlb2 Member Posts: 18
    So far so good with the 5cyl ,I traded in a ford reg cab stepside with a 5.4 ,it was a rocket getting 14-19mpg,and 50 more hp but theres more than enough with the I-5 220hp plus being a crew cab LS,about the same options as a XLT.And im getting ready for the higher fuel costs in the future. This is my forth PU [chevy or ford] in the last 35 years],and so far its a keeper.The dealer :( in Concord, calif. is another story, but his competion down the street is good. Thanks for the information and Good luck. JB. :)
  • atlvibeatlvibe Member Posts: 109
    The I -5 is a decent engine. It stops there. Competitors have engines with more punch. That's the shame of it. If the truck had the punch of the Taco or Nismo you would see more on the road. Again, I'm not saying it's bad, I am saying it's a crime it's not better. Otherwise, Colorado is an attractive package in the Crew cab z-71.
    If more power is what your after there might be a problem,with the others [Taco,Nismo]your pulling more weight etc, so why not just go with a halfton.Thats a choice not a crime. JB. :)
  • atlvibeatlvibe Member Posts: 109
    Crime might be a harsh description. The point being that for such an attractive package, the I-5 does not do the truck justice. The colorado looks beefy and tough but lacks the zing to back it up when compared to the other small trucks on the market. It's not just me, read the reviews.
  • ronhextallronhextall Member Posts: 37
    I agree with atlvibe, for example I could get a Nissan Frontier crew cab with 265hp and even slap a six speed in it for some fun. Chevy offers me a sawed off 5 cylinder with an automatic. Hmmm which one is more interesting?

Why Chevy can't over a better variety of engines and transmissions is beyond me. Chevy always has something that just misses the target by a little bit.
  • tonkatruktonkatruk Member Posts: 11
    Double standards when it comes to quality vehicles in North America, just another case of where domestics aren't scrutenized fairly...

After reports of Odysseys, CR-Vs and Elements catching fire due to poorly located oil filters near the exhaust, a member at Blue Oval News checked out the NHTSA website. And sure enough, two 2006 Honda Ridgelines have been documented for catching fire.

From NHTSA's WebSite...

Quote:
    Make: HONDA
    Model: RIDGELINE
    Type: TRUCK
    Year: 2006
    Complaint Number: 10146750
    Summary:
    FIRE IN ENGINE BAY OF NEW HONDA RIDGELINE, DEBRIS CAUGHT BETWEEN EXHAUST AND CATALYTIC CONVERTER. MAJOR DAMAGE. BOUGHT 2ND. RIDGELINE. 2 MINOR EPISODES OF BURNING SMELL WHILE USING ON DIRT ROADS. THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE! *JB

Make: HONDA
    Model: RIDGELINE
    Type: TRUCK
    Year: 2006
    Complaint Number: 10144782
    Summary:

WE GOT OUR RIDGELINE ON MARCH 12 A FEW DAYS THAT THEY HAD BEEN OUT, ONLY THE SECOND THAT THE DUVAL HONDA HAD SOLD. AND WE HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT LOVE THAT TRUCK. ON FRIDAY 11/25/05 ON MY WAY TO WORK, I AHD BEEN DRIVING ABOUT 5-8 MINTUES AND THEN I SMELT SOMETHING A LITTLE STRANGE.........COMING OUT OF THE AC VENT. I TURNED THE HEATER OFF......THE SMELL OF SMOKE STARTED TO GET HEAVIER AND HEAVIER. I LOOKED INTO THE VENT AND NOTICED THAT THERE WAS SMOKE AND FIRE BILLOWING INSIDE.....NOT SURE WHERE IT WAS COMING FROM...I GOT OUT OF THE TRUCK, CALLED FIRE/RESCUE, AND BEGAN TO GET MOST OF THE BELONGINGS THAT I COULD. THE TRUCK WAS FULLY INVOLVED BY TIME FIRE/RESCUE ARRIVED ON SCENE. I MUST SAY THAT, BACK IN SEPTMBER I NOTICED THAT THE RADIO WHICH IS STILL STOCK WAS WIRED INCORRECTLY, I MENTIONED IT THE LAST TIME THAT I TOOK THE BABY IN FOR SERVICING. THEY SAID THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO TAKE THE DASH OUT AND HAVE IT RE-WIRED THE CORRECT WAY. AND THAT IT WOULD BE AN ALL DAY AFFAIR, I HAVENT HAD THE TIME TO HAVE THAT DONE, AND MY DEALER DOESNT OFFER LOANER CARS. AM I SAYING THAT THIS IS THE REASON THAT THIS HAPPENED? I AM NOT SURE. AS ANYONE HAD ANYTHING SIMULAR?? *NM

My question is...when is Honda going to do something about this? Ford got reamed in the F-series recall due to 150 or so trucks that caught fire from 1994-2003 models due to a faulty cruise control switch, but now Honda has approximately 50 or so fires (maybe more that I haven't read about) since 2003 and not a peep has been made. No recalls, few reports by the media, and no responsibility taken by Honda Motor.

If this was any domestic automaker, the outrage would reverberate throughout every publication in the nation. Instead, Hondas fires have fallen upon deaf ears, and the vehicle that earned two Truck of the Year awards is literally on fire.

The F-series fires were due to a defective switch by a Ford supplier; the Honda fires are due to poor design by Honda. Honda knows about this, but refuses to do anything besides blame the dealerships and mechanics. With Acura sales in the proverbial dumpster, criticism and slowing sales of the Accord Hybrid, and the overpriced and undercapable (and now fire-prone) Honda Ridgeline, I can't help but think that Honda is starting to slip up. The only thing propping Honda up right now is the '06 Civic...everything else is either leveling out or losing sales, according to the February 06 figures.
    For what they charge for these trucks, its hard to believe they are missing such bacis items as a change holder and an underhood light. The change holder is easily obtained, but the under hood light is a bit more difficult.You need to find one that will work and then wire it. Has anyone tried this or even looked into it.
    thanks
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    There is a lot of other items that should be included in a truck that is priced so steeply. For example, I saw a fully loaded 4WD crew cab Z71 stickered for over $ 32K an even at that price, the truck did not come with a tow hitch, or even splash guards or bed caps?

And when you look at more reasonably priced versions, they do not even come with a full size spare tire! No rear window defroster or sliding rear window standard. No standard tow hooks on the 4WD versions.

To provide a compact smaller size spare tire on a 4 WD truck with locking rear differential is irresponsible at best from GM. You risk damage to the rear differential if you have one of these tires on for more than a few miles.
    Nothing better than a small spare tire to put on your driving axle when you are towing a trailer or hauling substantial load in your bed!
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Agree. Also, look at modern car wheel wells for the type of body protection from rocks and road debris, then to the 1960's-design open painted steel underbed and exposed rear fender panel bracket that is right behind the back wheel on the Chevy's. Granted, modern steel is much more corrosion resistant, but still some thoughful touches would be nice.

I'd even argue - and I may be alone here - that the "big truck look" that is so in style right now is only good for crush space in a crash. MFG's seem to think men want a large hood and grill or their manhood is somehow lessened. Look at the wasted space with the hood open, the entire front end could be shorter and the hood & grill more angled and aerodynamic. Not many designs that push the envelope, the MFG's are in lockstep. Heck, Toyota made crew cabs overseas for years and never brought them here. How about beds? Like a spray in liner (nissan) or composite bed (Toyota & optional GMC). It would make sense to include some useful load tiedowns like the new Nissan (option) instead of a painted bed and holes the bed rails. Heck a factory dump option would be cool too. Imagine unloading a bed of firewood with a push button! How about one of Izuzu's cab-over small HD trucks with a diesel and a funtional (not fashionable) bed? It could look cool like a hummer sort of thing, have a big capacity but still get good fuel milage. They have these overseas, I just saw some - even with a crew cab. Yes, they are work trucks, but not everyone wants a Impala with a bed on the back, some folks actually use their trucks hard. I bet landscaping crews and such would snap those up.
  • esjrennesjrenn Member Posts: 9
    Sounds like A lot of whinning to me.I,ve got A 2005 colorado with no proublems other the the worthless general tires and it is A cheap work truck. I work for nissan in tennessee and the truck was A better buy for the money even with my emp. discount then to nissan. If you won,t to pay the price buy A nissan or toyota but for goodness sake quite the crying about what the truck should have been.
    They say $3 gal. by summer.I cked all the mid sizes decided on the Colo Z-71 didnt need all the bells,plus trying to buy american as much as possible.Im sure our leaders will allow the chinese communists to ship there slave labor built truck at a cheaper price and many will brag at the deal.Im not knowling willing to support those slave masters.but thats just me. JB.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I'm seriously considering a Colorado crew cab (probably 2WD Z71) as my next vehicle, but I'm trying to delay the purchase for at least a year or two...whatever I get next I'll likely end up driving for 10+ years, and I figure the longer I can continue to drive my 2000 Impala now, the fewer miles I'll end up putting on the truck later. (I'll have two kids reaching driving/college age over the next decade, so Dad's car needs are going to be secondary for awhile!)

However, even if I'm able to drive the Impala for a couple more years, I'll still probably end up putting over 150k miles on my next vehicle. So, I've got two questions for those of you on this forum:

1) What is the likelihood of my getting 150k+ relatively trouble-free miles out of a Colorado 5-cylinder? I've read posts here about valve train problems and such; just wondering what real-world examples there might be here of people who have 100k+ miles on their trucks (although I know the trucks are relatively new, and anyone with that many miles would probably be all highway driven).

2) Are there any imminent changes coming to the Colorado in the next couple of years that I should hold out for? I'm primarily looking at the Colorado as getting comparable gas mileage to similar SUVs (such as the Equinox), but giving me more hauling/towing options. I'd read somewhere that there might be HP increases coming in the near future...anyone know if that's true, and how/if these will impact gas mileage (either good or bad)? Any talk of a hybrid powertrain coming down the road? I'm not so concerned about the look of the truck, but I don't want to lock in on say a 2007 model, and then have some major improvement to the drivetrain come out the next year that I should have waited for. By the same token, I might not care about increased HP if it hurts gas mileage, and could get a good deal on the outgoing model.

Any insight on either question would be greatly appreciated!!
    Dirkwork, i think you hit the nail right on the H.Compareing and shareing,yes.And if i want more power and cylinders more weight my experience has been less gas mileage.And the fella thats going to wait two years sounds good ,Im sure big and better changes are in the future.Heck four cylinders might be the big engine,there getting over 500hp out of them to race.Doubt if they can brag about the mileage.Bigger aint always better. JB. :)
    I had to undercoat the wheels wells on my $ 36K sticker Silverado Z71 because there was nothing but painted sheet metal in the back wells, and in the front they did not fully line the wells with plastic. Well, several cans of rubberized undercoating took care of that, but I believe that GM should have used full plastic wheel well liners, or at least undercoat the vulnerable spots like this at the factory.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    >Well, several cans of rubberized undercoating took care >of that, but I believe that GM should have used full >plastic wheel well liners, or at least undercoat the >vulnerable spots like this at the factory.

They would have had the money for doing this, but Chevy was too busy filming commercials of their trucks spraying mud, having huge props being set in them by sweaty hard-hat wearing guy, pulling horse trailers, etc. Of course there was also the heavy-lift helicopter time for picking up their SUV's and putting them on top of completely unbeliveable locations for an advertisement that they paid to run at every commerical break during and a month after the Olympics! On second thought, they probably used a computer to put the trucks up there graphically, but the ad time was still millions I'm sure.

FYI - my now departed '95 Dodge Ram 4x4 had full wheel well liners, but drank like sailor on shore leave.

Dirk
  • rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    Have a 2005 Z71 crew cab with 26K miles on it. Check engine light came on steady Monday night. Was hoping it was a minor problem but it appears that I have the same problem that has been well documented in this forum. Engine misfire due to sticky valve. Am now waiting for the dealer to tell me how long to repair? Dealer has been pretty good so far. Warranty is covering a rental (big [non-permissible content removed] Silverado :) ). Anything else I should know about from folks that have gone through this problem? I appreciate any replies. Thanks.
  • lynne77lynne77 Member Posts: 9
    Well lets see on my 2004 crew cab same mileage as yours the dealership had my truck in the shop 15 days. They first fixed the valve springs then the check engine light came back on. They had to call tech support to see what to fix next. They replaced the valve head and said everything was fine. Now I have this issue with the truck were if fells like it is jerking or skipping kind of hard to explain. But when it does this you can watch the RPM needle bounce. I have taken it back to the original dealership they spent about a half an hour looking at it and test drove it less than a 1/2 mile and told me they could not duplicate the problem. I have left it with another dealership overnight they hooked it up to the computer and ran it and could not duplicate the problem either. I have also noticed the horse power I used to have it not there either. I have had it rev 6500RPMs before it will shift to the next gear. I know something is not right but because the computer is not telling them anything is wrong they do not know what else to do. Good luck with your repairs. I hope things turn out better for you then they have for me so far. :confuse:
  • mcarlemcarle Member Posts: 5
    My Colorado 58000 cant rember all the mileages at problems but here is some things the i have done.3sets of tires.1 heater control.1 gastank sensor.1 paint job.1set of front coil springs.replace injectors.valve job.now replace head when parts come in.good thing that i dont use it for work.gm head ofice called me and said that was too bad. [do you want extend warrenty] cant type my coment on the computer.in 20 months the truck has been the shop for about 50 days the longest stay was for 38 days at once.It is nice to see that iam not the only one that loves my truck.MY CHEVY.........................
    Have you checked your states lemon law. I my state if the vehicle is in for repair for 30 cumulative calendar days you can try to get a replacement under the lemon law. I am in the same situation. I do love my truck I just hate having to deal with the issues and GM stating its too bad. They should back the products they make and sell.
    Well, got confirmation this morning that the dealer will be replacing the valve springs. Unlike some others experience in this forum, my dealer seems to think they will be done with the work by Monday or Tuesday next week. Perhaps now that this is a well known problem the parts are more readily available and the diagnosis is a little easier. If they finish on Tuesday that would mean 5 days in the shop compared to 2 weeks or more for some of the earlier repairs that people have had for this same problem. Keeping my fingers crossed that they stick to that schedule and put the engine back together properly so I don't have to go through the process again. In the meantime, the Silverado that GM is paying for me to rent had its own check engine light come on. :( Thankfully, not my problem. :D
    Something tells me I made the right choice when I decided to buy a crew cab Silverado instead of Colorado. The problems you are describing are quite a list for a 2 year old truck. Your truck needed a complete paint job? 38 days at a time in a shop?
    As a possible future owner of a Colorado, is there anything one could do as a preventative measure to avoid the valve spring problems? Would running synthetic oil help?
    Your synthetic oil will be a good start they tell me that the oil makes the valve stick the you know what is next :):)
    Your synthetic oil will be a good start they tell me that the oil makes the valve stick the you know what is next :):)
    The only effective preventive measure to avoid the valve spring problems is to stay away from this truck until GM fixes the problem. The springs will not get stronger or more durable if you use synthetic oil.
    So what exactly is the deal with the valve springs? When they fail, what kind of damage is done (or is it just a matter of replacing the springs and moving forward)? Seems like if the problem is specifically the springs, it wouldn't be too difficult to fix this problem on future trucks. Does anyone know if they've identified the cause of the problem?

I really like the looks of this truck, and I'm a GM fan from way back...but after taking a look at Consumers Reports this weekend and how they bashed the reliability of the truck, combined with this valve spring problem that won't seem to go away, I'm starting to have doubts.
    Is there any warning that the valve spring is about to go out? I have 30k on my I5 and have had no engine problems with it but with all of the trouble many are having I`m thinking about getting an extended warranty just in case. My truck has been trouble free for nearly two years.
    My truck was the same way trouble free. There is no warning signs. The check engine light will come on after a few starts it will shut off. Get you truck checked at a dealership as soon as the check engine light comes on. GM knows they have a problem with the valve spring they are from what I understand working on fixing this in the newer models. The code that kicks the check engine light on is a random misfire. Good luck with your truck.
    So when the valve springs fail, does this cause other extensive engine damage (i.e. pistons hitting valves, etc.), or does the spring just break, the engine sputters and dies, and then you have to replace the springs?

Not saying bad valve springs are something one should accept, or replace every 30k miles as a preventative, but realistically if the odds are say 1 in X vehicles, and then when it does happen the repair is fairly isolated to replacing the springs, that's not as bad as causing major engine damage. Just trying to weigh the odds, and the consequences of a problem before I commit my $$.
    Does this happen to the 5 and 4 clyender engines the same? Or is it primeraly the L5?
    They just completed the repairs on my 04 last month. They replaced the valve springs first and the check engine light came back on so they had to call GM to find out what to fix next. They ended up replacing the value head and according to them this has fixed the problem. I think each truck could be different and it depends on how long you have to problem before it is fixed on how much damage it does. To be honest. The check engine light was the only thing that made me aware of a problem. My truck was running fine no problems what so ever. The springs do not break they stick they keep the valve from opening and closing properly. The choice is yours on the warranty but it may be worth it in the long run. I have a friend who works for a GM dealership and on a canyon it took over $6000 in repair work to get the canyon run correctly.
    From what I have read and heard it is primeraly the I5 but some people have had problems with the 4 as well. GM knows they have a problem and replacing the valve springs seems to correct it. What makes me mad about the whole situation is that they did not do a recall to correct the problem it is when your check engine light comes on that you have to have them fixed. This just does not seem right to me.
    If sticking valve springs is the problem; I have to wonder if it has anything to do with my dealers policy is to replace engine oil with synthetic blend. They charge the same price so I don't think it's a profit issue. Perhaps the synthetic is just enough to keep the valve springs lubed.
    I never heard of a bad valve spring without a valve slap or knock. This is a strange one.
    I agree that is part of there proublem now.I have got the 4 and have not had that proublem yet with 26000 on the truck. But it pi---- me off that they have not admitted to the proublem and did something about it.
  • hp73chevyhp73chevy Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. My 2004 Colorado with 24k seems to have a lot of tire wear on the inside of the front tires. Almost like the tow is off. It will eat away at the tires making it necessary to rotate them more than needed to even out the wear. I rotate them to the rear of the truck and within four to five months the front tires are screeching around every corner even doing five-ten mph. I had the truck aligned and check the pressure constantly. I've varied the pressures as well to test different ones. Nothing works and im a very conservative driver in this truck so its not my driving style. the IFS is very similar to what the Silverados have had since 88'. so whats up with this?
    I,ve had the problem with the tires on my 2005 sence day one had it back to dealer 7 times. They did front alinment three times the real problem is the general tires they are worthless and GM won,t do any thing but replace them with another set of generals.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I absolutely agree. But, what's worse, is why does GM even build the 4 cylinder engine for this vehicle? They already have a good 4 cylinder engine with the 2.2 Ecotec that generates about 145 HP. Just use that engine as the base engine for the Colarado/Canyon. Why build the 2.8 just for the Colarado/Canyon? The money would have been better spent on developing a 6 cyliner engine for this truck. I just do not understand GM's thinking.
    Well..although I'm disappointed in having to deal with this problem, I have to say I was very impressed with my dealership. Brought the car in last Thursday. They quickly realized that the problem might require the truck staying for a few days and got me a rental (which I guess the warranty covers). Got the truck back Tuesday afternoon this week and it seems to be running well. They replaced the valve springs and accompanying parts and also had to do some cleaning of fuel injectors and other areas that got a little dirty while the engine was misfiring. Anyway, I was grateful for the fast turnaround since I assumed it would be in the shop at least a week.

I was discussing why this problem is happening with a friend and he brought up a good point. The loads on the 5 cylinder engine are going to be much greater than the 6 it was derived from. GM was likely trying to use parts from the 6 cylinder but somehow their engineers never considered the valve springs to be prone to failure in this situation. Sounds plausible. :confuse:
    You are correct about the General tires they are worthless but the other problem is GM made the alignment on these trucks easier to align so they are more easily put out of alignment. I found this out when my tires were wearing out last summer.
    How did they resolve the proublem with the wearing out of the tires? Did they get your alignment proublem solved? Mine is still wearing on the inside and they say there is nothing they can do.
    I have a hard time believing its the tires. If there was uneven wear all around maybe. but only in that spot tells me it has to be the alignment. Another thing is the truck has never tracked straight since I drove it off the dealer lot. Ive had it aligned twice and its never been dead on. My 89 silverado with 190k tracks straighter than it.
    Was this a 2wd or 4wd? Was it the Z71 with the front torsion bar suspension or the standard IFS. I think the model may have something to with it. :shades:
    4wd with Z71 susp. All the chevy 4x4 IFS trucks have torsion bars. they are built into the control arms.
This discussion has been closed.