Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    from Car Connection for June 20th:
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_Jun_20_200- - 6.S173.A10555.html

"HUMMER, Colorado/Canyon Bump Up, Too
    The 2007 editions of the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon and HUMMER H3 will benefit from boosts to the displacement of their engines. The base engine in the pickup trucks is now a 2.9-liter four, up a tenth of a liter and producing six percent more power than the previous edition. The H3 and four-wheel-drive, crew-cab versions of the trucks add a 3.7-liter in-line five upsized from the prior 3.5-liter version. Power output on the 3.7-liter engine is 242 hp and 242 lb-ft of torque, an increase of 22 hp and 17 lb-ft. The larger engine is also available optionally on other pickup body styles. "
  • mike2250mike2250 Member Posts: 29
    I have to agree, at first I was apprehensive about the power of an I5. Since buying mine, I have added the K&N filtercharger and modified the right front fender to allow for direct airflow. Along with a couple other little tweeks; my Z71 crew cab can not accelerate without the posi locking up. The other day on the interstate, cruising at 80, I had need to punch it. The truck settled and then took off like a shot to over 95 in what appeared to be a split second.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I had heard rumors of a "tire recall" shortly after I bought my GMC Canyon (a Colorado cousin) back in January of 2005, however I never got any notifications from either GM or the dealer. It would be a moot point, though, because I put a set of 16x8" rims on it, with a set of 245/75-16 Firestone Destination LEs.

The good news is that the truck now handles and rides quite well. The bad news is that it was $$ out of my pocket. Now, if I could just get rid of the wind noise in the cab, I'd be really satisfied with the truck.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    Look at how your bed lines up. There have been posts going back sometime ago that talked about the bed being out of line and having the dealer line it up. Mine was out of line and I had the dealer straighten it up. GM, How hard can it be to line up a bed off the assembly line? I would never have noticed if the posts had not been here.
    Temj, I appreciate the tip, however I was involved in that discussion last year, and my bed lines up quite well. I've been installing sheet sound deadener, and although I've knocked the noise level down quite a bit, it's still annoying. It's VERY noticable in a crosswind.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    see post 948
    I have to wonder if you have window vent shades on your truck and if so, the exterior mount or channel mount. I have the exterior mount and have little if any wind noise. Just my $.02 worth.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    And here is confirmation from GM, with complete engine specs:

GM Press Release - 2.9 I4 and 3.7 I5

kcram - Pickups Host
    Mike, I do have the window shades, and yes, they're the exterior mount. I put them on right after I bought the truck, and thought that they might be contributing to the noise. In order to verify the problem, I took them off, and there was no difference, so they went right back on.

It's just a "buffeting" sort of noise, right around the rear window/"B" pillar...regular cab. It's certainly not deafening but is annoying.
    Do you think the window has to come up in the area where the noise is coming from. The same for the door; perhaps it isn't sealed good enough. I know what you mean by a buffeting noise and it can be extremely annoying. Good luck with your search.
  • crsdlscrsdls Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab with bad tires. My tires squeal when I go around a corner (No speeding) and they don't hold well on wet pavement and all my dealership told me was a front end alignment and I'd have to replace my tires and I have the extended warranty and it doesn't cover any thing like this. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I am not happy with my truck right now. :cry:
    :lemon: :confuse:
    I don't want to sound Stupid but what is TSB? And where can I check for it?
    Thanks
    Debbie
    In my past experiences with wind noise due to air leaks around seals, it usually exhibits itself as more of a "whistle". The noise I'm hearing is more of a roar, and seems to be outside and around the rear of the cab.

As has been mentioned in the past, there have been cab/bed alignment issues mentioned. What I think I'll do next is check to see if the cab is "square" to the chassis, adjusting if necessary. Then, if any adjusments need to be done to the cab, I'll readjust the bed as needed.

I've added some of the self adhesive, sound deadening material sheets made by Cascade Audio Engineering, to the back and roof of the cab. That helped a lot.
    Debbie, "TSB" is short for Technical Service Bulletin. You can check either with the dealer or the National Highway safety website.

Just as a side note, the OE General tires that came with my Canyon are worse than the "S" word. I have a Z-71 SLE, so I had the 265/75-15s. The second day I had the truck, it was on my trusted friend's alignment rack, as I thought there must have been something wrong with the truck. It was ALL OVER the road! The alignment, however, was OK.

Since this is primarily a winter vehicle for me, I had 4 Bridgestone snow tires on it a few days later... MUCH better, and snow tires aren't known for "handling".
  • vatakvatak Member Posts: 8
    I replaced the OE General tires on my Colorado with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. A little more $$$, but these tires are great. I really love the ride in my truck now.
  • johnboyvtjohnboyvt Member Posts: 6
    If the front tires are badly worn on the insides, get your dealer to look up the TSB for it. I have an 05 with 15k miles and just got the alignment and 2 new tires free. According to the TSB all 04s and early 05s have the problem. Mine was outside of the range for the TSB but they still did it with no questions.
  • jm3004jm3004 Member Posts: 3
    I know its galling to have to replace perfectly good tires but youll be amazed by the difference.(I was)Theres lots of good choices but from what I see from this forum pretty much anything is better than what GM put on. Now if I can only find someone interested in the set of low mileage generals setting under my back deck lol
  • remoteraycerremoteraycer Member Posts: 17
    I went with the Michelin Cross Terrains on my 05 crew cab 2wd. What a difference! Had one general starting to seperate at 17k.
  • pjjbmpjjbm Member Posts: 12
    You asked the question, "I wonder why the valve springs stick". I have a 2.8 2005 Colorado that had the exhaust valve springs replaced. A GM dealer shop manager told me that they were told that the valve spring vendor shipped GM incorrect weight (too light) valve springs. So much for quality control! :lemon:
    I have a question on these Rear Vents. Has anyone had them replaced? I found TSB 06-08-66-008 "Revised Pressure Relief Valve Replacement". It contains revised information on the rear vent replacement. My 2005 Colorado has a lot of road noise and you can hear the vents opening and closing when there is wind and the windows are closed. The noise is very annoying. From this TSB, I get the impression that an earlier TSB was replacing the rear vents
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I have a 2004 I5 with auto trans. Lately when I start my truck in the morning the starter skips a little. I know it has some kind of system that all you have to do is turn the key to the start pos. and let up and it will start the truck. Has anyone noticed this with there truck?
    What rear vents are you talking about; the pressure relief valves in the doors?
    I guess you call them pressure relief valves. On my extended cab 2005 Colorado, they are on the both side of the back of the cab. Whenever there is a slight bit of wind, the are flapping and making a lot of noise.
    I don't believe they are supposed to flap in the wind. No matter what we are talking about, I don't know of anything that is supposed to be loose like that. See if you can reach them and snap them in place or if a fastener is missing. I'd bet that's your problem.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Those are part of the flow through ventalation. These came to be when the auto makers did away with the little vent windows. When running heat/vent/air there needs a way for the air in the cab to leave creating a flow. Hence these valves. All vehicles have them to an extent. Some vans you see louvers built into the back corners near the windows. But they shouldn't flap and make noise that bothers the people inside.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I had a similar experience once several years ago, but fortunately the wheel didn't come off...I kept hearing an odd noise in one wheel, and I finally stopped a took off the center hubcap...all the lug nuts were loose, and one or two were actually off the wheel. I tightened them up, and then called the dealership to complain, but that was the extend of it.

You're VERY lucky it was a rear wheel instead of the front!
  • sadrobynsadrobyn Member Posts: 2
    I just wonder what the dealership is going to do because this is totally their fault and now I WANT a whole new driveshaft, rear axle and brakes. I left a long skid mark in the cement on the 407!
    I think I would contact a lawyer too.
  • sadrobynsadrobyn Member Posts: 2
    OK, I own a 2005 Colorado with 43,000 kms om it, 25 days ago I took it to John Logan Chev Olds... to do some repairs. WELL, they rotated my tires and fixed my brakes.
    Yesterday my boyfriend and I are driving on the 407 doing 110km and we start swerving through all lanes of traffic then we hear a big bang and the truck drops. My speedometer is going up and down like crazy and I can't steer or brake! We drifted off the road and onto the left shoulder. I got out and look at the rear end of my truck, to my surprise.... my tire was GONE. all I saw was what was left of my breaks and there was brake fluid spewing out everywhere. The 407 patroller found my tire 500m away and the wheel lugs were still in the cover that goes on the front. SO, John Logan is now dead for their crappy service that they did on my truck that almost killed me.
    On message 978 I was replying to sadrobyn and now I come back and his message has been changed to 979, 3 hours after I replied. :confuse:
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I have a 2004 4x4 with a I5 and auto trans. I have had the thing to go into four wheel drive buy it`s self 4 times. This always happends when I am turning in where there is a bump. Has anyone else had this problem?
    does anyone else have alot of racket from the tailgate when going over a bump. If so how did you correct it. It seems most often when there is less then a full tank of gas. thanks
    I just backed my 2004(Colorado 4X4 LS Crew Cab I5) into my driveway and it was almost like I was backing with the parking break on It even squealed the tires which I never do. It sounds like the same thing I guess but It is going to the shop in the morning. :lemon:
    sounds like you have it in 4 wheel drive. Check and PUSH the 2 wheel drive button, maybe it's stuck in 4 X 4
  • vferrarovferraro Member Posts: 1
    I have had this problem several times. Also happens when the truck is turned left sharply. Slips into 4 wheel drive. My dealer says it is called a phantom shift but GM has not issued a recall bulletin for this yet. I have had this happen at least 5-6 times with my 2004 4x4 I5 crew cab.
  • hainahaina Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 4x4 I5 and have been experiencing what I thought was the Exhaust valve problem what other trucks have been experiencing. But what turns out the BUZZING and lifter knocking sound is #PIP3811 "Rattle Noise form bottom rear of engine at 2000-3000 RPM--Keywords accelerate bellhousing buzz clatter detonation end hot housing idle knock load lower ping shaft spark." Another words on rare occasions, a light detonation/rattle type noise may be experienced around 2000-3000 RPM under light load/acceleration with the engine at operating temperature. I can hear a light buzz sound when the engine is cold and I can hear a light knocking sound, like a lifter knocking at around 2000-3000 RPM only on acceleration in drive. CANNOT duplicate the sound when it is in neutral reving the engine to 2000-3000 RPM . The Dealer is aware of the Service Instruction "PIP3811" and a repair is being developed to address this noise; They have not yet found a cure to fix the problem.
    As for the Service Bulletin #04-06-04-081C Exhaust Valve Springs, they said it only applies to the I4 engine not the I5. Can someone concur with that SB?
    I hope this info can help out with anybody else experiencing this buzzing, vibration problem.
  • chris512chris512 Member Posts: 6
    My brake light switch has gone out twice!!! 2004 Colorado

I will never buy another GM product.
    My brake light switch has gone out twice!!! 2004 Colorado

I will never buy another GM product.
    ===================

brake light switch is a heck of a good reason for never buying a GM vehicle. Go buy a Toyota. Make that a Prius so you can pay out $5000 for a new video screen after warranty. Park it on a steep hill and it shuts down to be towed, spin the wheels in the snow and it again shuts down for a trip to the dealer. Try backing it up a hilly driveway. Can't be done. Buy one so I can see what you have to say about them. :P
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have decided to hold on to their current pickup truck, rather than purchasing a new one. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 9, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what pickup truck you currently own.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    You mean they kept the same cheap interior plastics that made the previous models look so cheesy? This is not encouraging. I was hoping for a nice gutsy V6 engine, and a 5 or 6 speed manual availability in the crew cab, as well as a decent looking interior with cloth inserts on door panels.
  • 1rg1rg Member Posts: 6
    Hi I'm new to this site. I have a 2005 Colorado, 3.5L 5 cylinder, 2 WD and 5 speed manual. No toys. Since new it has had a "hesitation" in the engine between 1500 and 2500 rpm and it occurs in any gear. GM is incapable of "looking" let alone "finding" it and are now looking for similar trucks to mine so they can see if this is a common problem. What they will do when they do is anybody's guess.
    Has anyone else had or got this problem? If so please contact me as to how you fixed it. The problem is driving me nuts.
    Has anybody installed a proper hand brake on one of these trucks. If so how did you go about it. The foot brake makes for interesting towing techniques.
    Thanks, RG
    does anyone know the resistor value of the performance chips as those advertised on Ebay for $10 to $40. I know a resistor is all that is needed and no wires need to be cut. It installs to the two IAT wires. I just need to know the value. thanks
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Better yet, buy a Volkswagen. You may go through 8 brake switches in the first two years! Among other problems.
    I see you have also encountered GM's I don't give a damn attitude. I too have a 2005 Colorado with 3.5l motor and 5 speed manual. It hesitates at between 1500 and 2500 rpm in any gear. It also backfires when starting hot. It's fuel consumption is lousy.
    The DSR has experienced all the symptoms and is still wandering around like a lost fart looking for a vehicle like mine to compare. You would think with the VIN number they would be able to find one. They found five in the states but couldnt access them. Why? The DSR was on vacation and his deputy was too busy and mine was not a critical problem. To who?? I know at least two others were sold in our area, south western Ontario, at about the same time as mine, one at the same dealer was delivered a month earlier and the one I tested before I ordered mine. Now they say that until they can find another one doing the same they won't do anything about it. Last GM I buy if this is their "modern attitude".
    RG
  • bowtie_guybowtie_guy Member Posts: 5
    well My did go out and I took it in for the recall they fixed it about a month later it went out again! I told the dealer this was the second time and that it was half way to a factory buy back and he really got kinda nervous said they would check it out, they replaced the switch which was done four days ago, so far so good!
    But I would not use that as my only excuse not to buy chevy again! I am an ASE certified master mechanic I work on all makes and trust me I see the other problems the other makes have, this is why I will only drive GM makes, trust me on this :shades:
    I took this TSB number to my dealer, and all he said is that it was an addition to a previous TSB. I was assuming it was to replace the flappers with a revised part that didn't vibrate in the air as much, but my dealer said that no new parts are mentioned.

Anybody have any additional info on this??

Thanks!
  • giggleingigglein Member Posts: 8
    i have a 2004 chevy colorado and same problem with the hesitation. i have about drove my self nuts trying to get it fixed. it is a 3.5 with 5 speed and no one can seem to find what it is. when i go and ask for chevy to find out i get well no codes come up. i know what i feel and code or not it needs to be fixed. if you do have an idea please do let me know. i am lost and need help soon. Gigglein@aol.com
    Just a thought; I had this problem in my Vette and the only telltale that I happened to see by accident,was a wild tach needle while the hesitation was occuring. It turned out to be a tach filter (filters out stray electronic noise that could effect the tach signal.)
    It took forever for them to figure it out because no one had ever had one go bad. So watch your tach needle to see ifit fluctuates wildly.
    This is to both mike2250 and gigglein. I have stumbled across a partial fix. I had just had a letter from GM stating that "all Colorado Canyons with 5 speed transmissions and 5 cylinder engines do this and it is a trait of the vehicle and they will do nothing about it".
    In frustration something made me turn on the ignition but not start the truck. I then pressed the accelerator "to the floor" three times rapidly and something, I assume the PCM let out, via the radio, three or four "beeps". The next time I drove the truck it seemed better. The hesitation is still there but not nearly as pronounced. It also seems to have more "guts".
    What I did I have no idea but a mechanic relative says he thinks I "reset" the relationship between the throttle position sensor and the computer. The "backfire" is still there when starting hot but as TECH said maybe it's just a little unburned fuel from the shut down. Try it and let me know. Maybe I'll prove to GM yet that they don't have a clue what they are building anymore.
    As to mike's suggestion about the tach, no, mine is rock steady. 1RG
  • norbert48norbert48 Member Posts: 3
    I'm tired & frustrated. Any suggestions on what tire I should consider for replacement of the General Ameri-Junks on my 2004Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 package? Tire size is P265-75 R15. Thanx
This discussion has been closed.