Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima 2004 Redesign

Comments

• mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Another winning design from Nissan/Infiniti
  • nisinfiguynisinfiguy Member Posts: 13
    I think people arent to thrilled about it bc Nissan has strayed from the, "average" looking car stereotype. Look at the accord and camry...BORING looks on the outside. Nissan is the contrast that most YOUNG buyers are looking for. Just my opinion, but I think Nissan is becoming the new "car to have" make. I mean, say what you want, but honda has aged. They discontinued the prelude, big mistake in my opinion, that was the one FINE car in their lineup that was aimed at young people who want sportiness. Not to piss people off or anything, but that is how I feel NOW that Nissan is in full speed ahead mode: "Move over Honda, you've had your 15 minutes of fame, it's Nissan's turn!" just MO tho!! No need to start WWIII!! :)
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I'm starting to love the look! I wish someone had a front shot though...

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/nissan/2004/maxima/spy/home.shtml

• rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    I'm not a current Maxima owner, but am putting th 2004 on my list of possiblilites. To those that abjectly reject the new styling...I hate to say it, but the current Maxima, from a style standpoint, looks TOTALLY generic. I applaud Nissan for making an attempt to give some individuality to the car...
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Thanks for putting the link to those new photos. I agree with the comments about the direct rear view. The rear looks great from that angle and looks like it has a more luxury sport look that it never quite had before. Hope to see the front soon!
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    Nissan has apparently discovered a comfortable groove with their sedan styling, since they're once again beginning to all look the same, or a slight variation on a theme.

I'd have to say that I agree with the comment above about it having strong hints of the Saturn Ion.

Anyway, I'd guess the front will have the extremely vertical headlights and low grille ala the G35.
  • nisinfiguynisinfiguy Member Posts: 13
    "...a slight variation on a theme." In your opinion, is this a good thing or a bad thing for Nissan? If bad, how can BMW, Chevy, Mercedes-Benz, etc. pull it off? Arent similarities in a car brand a good thing?
    I don't think chevy/GM is pulling it off well at all, just look at the CTS, and the whole art and science theme ( but the XLR convertible looks pretty nice).

It does work with Mercedes and BMW, and VW though.
  • radocharadocha Member Posts: 26
    When you have a ubiquitous engine and ever so popular platform across the Nissan and some Infinity line up...it gives you time and resources to apply yourself on defining a more unique style and reinventing an image...risky but apparently successful for a company that was heading into bankruptcy few years ago...works for me.
    As for its looks....I am not sold on it yet, but then I never am until I drive a car.
    I agree though with the 'variation' aspect, it seems that someone is using the same set of puzzles, and perhaps force-fitting them a bit too much to produce new models.
    "In your opinion, is this a good thing or a bad thing for Nissan?"

I guess it depends on the success of the theme, and how extensively the maker uses it throughout the line. Where Nissan differs from BMW, MB, etc., is that these others don't extend the same theme between a mainstream brand and a luxury brand. With BMW, a 3-series and 7-series are both indeed BMW's, even if they sell for different prices. With MB, the same thing.

However, you're seeing very common themes between Infinitis and Nissans. Perhaps too common... at least that's what I'd start to think if I were in the market for an Infiniti. If the luxury brand has a really solid reputation, such a strategy may have a halo effect for the mainstream brand (such as the Passat's obvious Audi heritage). However, Infiniti isn't the established successful brand that Audi or Lexus are, so that strategy could backfire, making the luxury brand lose its prestige because it looks too much like the mainstream brand.

Another issue is that personally, I'm not a big fan of the "tarted up Passat" look of the Altima anyway, so I don't find the prospect of a stable of Altima-inspired Nissans and Infinitis to be all that appealing.

My final issue with the new Maxima is the "Ford Taurus" look of the rear end. That along with the Saturn Ion look from the side doesn't exactly say "premium sports sedan design" to me.
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    There seems to be a contest among Nissan/Toyota/Honda to see who can design the most bloated looking car. The Maxima gets the first prize, IMO.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    From the side it doesn't look so bad, and if the front looks anything like the Altima, it's definitely not bad at all.

But that derriere...
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    that they've gone back to red taillights. Glad the boyracer clear ones are gone. (I replaced the clear taillights on my 2002 SE with the red ones from the 2000-2001 model year and it looks so much better). Alas, it would appear that Nissan is into ugly rear ends (and ugly front ones if you count the new Murano and Quest). Doesn't the Quest concept remind anyone else of a dolphin nose?
    either the 3series coupe or the C230 coupe. Either shares plenty of styling cues with the 7series or Eclass.

One thing I'll say against the new Max design, it doesn't break new ground like the Murano. The Murano is all new, so Nissan could go all out. They dont want to offend existing Max fans with a radical departure. They dont want to go taurus with the new design.
    "They dont want to go taurus with the new design."

I know you mean something different, but the Max's new rear screams "Taurus" to me.
    I meant 'hatchback' instead of 'coupe.' Of course the 325Ci is a classy design, the 325ti is a hideous one. Cclass doesnt even have a coupe.
    new CLK is one gorgeous looking coupe!
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Too bloated and too big. Altima looks better and costs less. Kill the Max, Nissan ! You're running out of ideas !!
  • bobby1361bobby1361 Member Posts: 9
    I am so glad that I just got an 03 max because whats coming isn't all that great looking! Who ever said it looks like a Saturn was right on the nose! While I am open to the 04 look I personally think that Nissan is not going to sell that many unless they throw in some real buyer incentives! There are too many cars in that price range that are a better driving and onwership expereince (can you say INFINITI???) We will just have to wait and see!
    Some people are ready to kill a car after looking at one picture!

OK, lets kill the Max. You think the Alty 3.5 is a convincing alternative to Passat W8, ES/Avalon, TL? Gimme a break!
    "Some people are ready to kill a car after looking at one picture!"

That's a fact of life... the same thing happened with the 2003 Accord.

I'm not inclined to make a lot of judgments based on spy photos, but the best shot of the new Max is from Nissan itself, so I assume it's what they consider a good, representive photo. Didn't leave a very good first impression with me... we'll see if additional photos and/or seeing it in person changes that impression.
  • qguqgu Member Posts: 93
    Nissans do have the styling to attract young buyers. But it is my impression that Nissan is pricing younger buyers out. Look at Murano. With a starting price higher than Honda Pilot and a loaded close to Acura MDX or Lexus RX300, it is very hard to believe that Murano will be successful in terms of gaining SUV market shares from Honda or Toyota.

Looks like 04 Max will be priced around $30K. Good luck, Nissan.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    I can't wait to see the official spec and price of the new Max.IMO it will not go over $30k,cus if it does anyone with minimum knowledge of cars would consider Acuras and Infinitis first.
  • qguqgu Member Posts: 93
    Nissans do have the styling to attract young buyers. But it is my impression that Nissan is pricing younger buyers out. Look at Murano. With a starting price higher than Honda Pilot and a loaded close to Acura MDX or Lexus RX300, it is very hard to believe that Murano will be successful in terms of gaining SUV market shares from Honda or Toyota.

Looks like 04 Max will be priced around $30K. Good luck, Nissan.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    The Altima is a PRIME example. The Altima is often more expensive than the Accord and Mazda6, and at times equal, but usually less expensive than the Camry. I think the Altima, SE models especially, are too expensive.
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    I saw the picture of Max 2004 and was very impressed with it. The nissan brand has turned around the company in regards to the newly designed vehicles. I certainly hope its quality be as equal to its Japanese peers.

If the asthetics inside the new Max be like Murano as rumured then kutos to Nissan. The big question " Will it have AWD???". so, it can compete with the likes of the A6,A4, and 330IX. I hope so. The real anouncement won't be till Jan 5, 2002, I think at the LA auto show. Domo Arigato Nissan , nice job.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I must keep telling myself, "It's Ugly, Over Priced, and I Don't Want It!" Because I just bought an '03 SE. I also must refrain from running to my Nissan dealer when they arrive.
  • cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    You might feel like the folks that bought a 2001 Altima. But hey, you got a great price !
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    Well, I've logged into the 2004 photo several times now and the design has grown on me. I think the rear is clean and somewhat conservative like many other luxury cars. I'm betting the front will have some 350, G35 flair which should set it apart. It looks good in the red color that I wish they had with my 2002. Kinda rounded profile like Passat and 300M.

I believe Nissan has the whole package better than most; fast, roomy, luxury and not that expensive. Let's wait till January.
  • bobby1361bobby1361 Member Posts: 9
    What if the 04 Max doesn't do as well as Nissan believes? Will they be sold at a lesser price by 06? And what about the Infiniti line! That G35 is incredible(except for the cheap looking dash). For the 30K and above, Acura, Lexus and used Mercedes come into play. In the US market I think Nissan is making a huge mistake! I am somewhat bias because I just picked up and 03 SE fully loaded about 3 weeks ago! What a pleasure!!
    Isn't it fun to drive the '03. I've had mine almost 4 weeks now. Every time I get in it, it's a pleasure. It's my 4th. I'm hooked. I wanted the last make that was produced in Japan. Just hope I didn't make a mistake. But I sure do love my '03!!
    ...why release an official preview photo of a new car, and only show the back of the car? Seems stupid. If Nissan is going to bother to release one photo (of the rear), why not throw caution to the wind and release a second photo showing the front of the car too!
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    For the same reason that several years ago Lexus never even showed their cars during their television ads and why Nissan showed only a partial rear quarter panel shot of the new Z before its introduction, marketing. They want/need to show enough to tease without giving away the farm. We already have an idea of the front from the spy pics that have been floating around the web, we just don't know the specifics. BTW, your frustration with not knowing what the front looks like will keep you, and others, coming back to find out more. Just what Nissan is hoping for, Marketing 101.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    Here are some new pics from maxima.org...

http://www.maximafreak.com/2k4/dscn0003.jpg

• 03maximan03maximan Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the pics 92drexel! The more you see it the more you like it.
    At All.

The side looks very good, the back resembles a Mercedes a little, but the front just doesn't work with the rest of the body. I think Nissan could have done better.

Thanks for easing my mind about my recent '03 SE purchase. I feel much better now.
    about the front end.

At least from the picture, the grill looks too droopy, but otherwise the rest of the car looks very promising.
    ...about the front end. I'm now very seriously considering the '03. They seem to have the front Nissan logo covered, but the overall look of the front looks like a mitsu galant (but I love the rest of the car).

I still think that, based on the price of the Murano, the price of a fully loaded SE will be 37k ish (with nav), 35k ish without. In a couple of years, heavy discounting will likely knock 5 or 6k from this price...29-30k for a car (plus taxes, title, and tags) is a lot of coin!

Have you guys read from the Murano forum the people are paying sticker?!?!? I never would have thunk that folks would be paying $525-$550/month to lease a Nissan! That's a lease! Wow!
    I generally like the look of it, though the front looks a lot like the G35 (not necessarily a bad thing). Given what the Maxima is going to cost, it's not far from the G35...how are the two going to be distinguished? (Also, will the Maxima be FWD, RWD, or AWD?)
  • garnold1garnold1 Member Posts: 11
    What's wrong with the 2001 Altima?
  • philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone have an idea about the drivetrain config of the 2003 Maxima??
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
  • 03honda03honda Member Posts: 96
    Does anybody know how much the prices of the redesigned 2004 Maxima will differ from the current one?
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    rumors are it will start in the high 20s to near 30K
    -- An international group of automotive
    journalists has selected the Mini Cooper, the Infiniti G35 and the Nissan 350Z
    as finalists for the 2003 North American Car of the Year while the Honda
    Element, HUMMER H2, Nissan Murano and Volvo XC90 are finalists for the 2003
    North American Truck of the Year.

3 out of 7 are Nissan. Only one domesticated, the Hummer. No Toyota, no Accord. Next year belongs to the Max and FX, looks like Toyota & Honda will have to breathe Nissan fumes for a while. Yeah!
This discussion has been closed.