Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima 2004 Redesign

Comments

• talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    No, you don't have to own one to post here, so feel free.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I've removed several off-topic/adversarial posts. Remember that we are here to talk about vehicles and not each other, and because we are all different, there are some issues on which we'll never agree. Agree to disagree and move on, but keep the hostility out of it.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I think the main reasons why it takes so long for the US to get "the good stuff" are our tough emissions laws. The Japanese and Europeans make these performance cars that are fine for their countries, but a lot of times it's not economically feasible for them to modify those cars for the US.
  • logitech1logitech1 Member Posts: 32
    I got a quote from a local dealer in Toronto:
    2003 GXE: $37500 all inclusive (taxes,PDI etc...)
    and 36 months @ 1.8%
    What do you guys get?
  • dstr2dstr2 Member Posts: 7
    With a bigger stiker price Nissan needs to up the
    warranty to stay with the comp.
    Acura 4/50k bb roadside 4/50k
    Adui "" "" ""
    Infiniti 6/60k "" 4/unlimited
    lexus 4/50 """"

go to get something for the extra cash
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Is that price for a BMW??? That's outrageous...But then I live in the deep south, and our prices aren't near that high. My '03 SE w/Leather, Titanium Pkg., was $26+, sticker was $29+ Are auto's really that expensive up there in Canada?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Canadian currency has different value in US dollars. They are not the same. Logitech1, if you are looking to get input from US residents, maybe next time use a currency converter to post US Dollars on this board. If you are looking only for canadian residents to respond, you're fine. But I personally am not interested enough in your deal to go to google, search for a currency converter, convert, then come back to edmunds.
    ~alpha
  • prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    $37500 CAD ~ $24500 USD
  • drakutismaxdrakutismax Member Posts: 21
    I was riding into work this morning and there was a white Camry on my right side and a light blue Camry in front. Both of these are 4cyl. LE's. I'm in an '01 GXE and I was thinking as large as the new Camry is, a V6 should be a standard engine across the board. Same as the Accord. Even now with the '00-'03 Maxima, I never considered it to be in competition with the Accord or Camry. They're nice cars, but also bland in a way. I definitely consider the Altima to be in that class with those two, even the '98-'00 Altima is in that class, but not the Maxima. It's above those two in the classification, I think.
    Thats a fair opinion, but many (historically about 75%) of Camry/Accord owners are satisfied with/ choose 4clyinder models. Is there a reason why you feel that such cars should have a 6cylinder engine? The 4s in Camry and Accord KILL Maximas in fuel efficiency, and with 0-60 times in the high 8s (Accord with auto) and low 9s (Camry with auto), they have plenty of power for everyday driving. If you want a standard V6 in a family sedan at the Camry LE and Accord LX price point (21K reasonably well equipped), your choices are American. For those who can afford the extra 2-3 grand for a V6, great. But the Camry and Accord (as well as Altima) do just fine with the 4s.
    ~alpha
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    My in-laws have a new Camry loaded with everything you can get with the 4-cyl. I've driven it many times and around town it has PLENTY of spunk, feels like a 6cyl. For commuters and regular drivers the 4cyl is adequate for sure. Even does 80 all day long on the hwy. The only place you notice a diff is when you put it all the way to the floor like when going down onramps to the freeway, and even there it's got enough juice. Can't speak for Accord 4cyl but I think it's about the same. For some reason the Japanese 4's feel like American 6's. Why is that?
    I guess with the size of the Camry it "looks" under powered for a 4 banger. But as we all know looks can be deceiving. I know when I had a 2000 Altima GLE, I was pushing that engine to death, so I totally get what your saying. And if the Camry, Accord & Altima are in the same class then it would make sense to keep a 4 in the line up.

By the way how are you guys dealing with the rising gas prices. I live in Maryland and the premium is OUTRAGEOUS. And as much as I HATE to do it, I have been forced to go from premium to mid-grade to regular because of the prices. I know this won't specifically ruin the engine, but I can feel the performance aspect is lower. What do you guys and gals think? It kills me to do this cause I love my Maxima to death.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Regular is $1.50 One gas station was selling it for .78 the other day off Interstate 85 I believe. Also, K-Mart is going out of business in my area, and they were selling gas about a month ago for $1.09!!! I almost flipped, too mad I missed out!
    People in Europe pay $4 a LITRE. I think we still have it pretty good. So yea, what about that Maxima?

~alpha
    Okay, if it's that much in Europe, I won't complain!!
    I'm spoiled, and gas is too damn high, especially for a HS student!
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    everything except the navigation system. Sticker was 30,541 and I paid 26,125 (including all the "required" dealer fees). As a bonus I got 2.9% financing through nissan. This is my 4th maxima.
  • jdoyle4811jdoyle4811 Member Posts: 1
    Caught a local dealer in the Boston area advertising on the Internet 2003 Maxima SE 6 speed w/ moonroof,trunk and floor mats, splash guards. They had (4) Sterling Silver models to sell. Walked out the second night I visited when they tried to say the deal was over. I ended up buying it the next night for 22K vs. the 27.3K MSRP price. I also got Nissan financing for 5 years at 2.9%. I paid for the sales tax (no down payment) and walked out with a $390 a month payment. Used my 1990 Mits Eclipse Turbo for $500 trade in (hated to get rid of this car, it looked like 4 years old). Remember to keep good credit for times like these.
    According to my dealer, he should get his first shipment of Maxima, mostly SE models by March 8 or 9!!! The on sale date is supposed to be the 15! I'll be in Atlanta at the ATL show on the 16. I hope to see many new Maximas while I am down there!
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Congratulations! Isn't it fun to drive! I am on my 4th Max also. I purchased my '03 SE back in Nov. I just love it....it has to be my favorite of all my previous Max's ('88, '96, '00) 03 for me!!
    It's a great car....I was looking at G35 sedans but couldnt justify the $7k price difference. I have had an 87, 89, 98 and now the 03.
  • smazzy4smazzy4 Member Posts: 16
    How much have people been paying recently for their Maximas? The dealer has offered me $25,800 for one that is msrp'd at $29,843. Is this a good deal? Can I do better?
    Thanks in advance for your responses.
    And then we can really know if you really got a good deal.
    smazzy 4> one of our local dealers is advertsing $4500 off sticker and 0.9% Nissan financing so it sounds like you are in the right ballpark. I paid 26,100 (including all dealer fees) for an 03 SE that stickers for 30,541. I've loved that heated steering wheel with all the subfreezing temps in OK this week.
  • smazzy4smazzy4 Member Posts: 16
    I've offered the dealer $25,500 for the one stickered at 30,541 and I think he may make the deal. The apr is 2.9% for 60 months.
    What do you think?
    i've been thinking about waiting until the new ones come out because it's only a few weeks away and they may further discount the 2003's.
    I also noticed that the financing and rebate incentives expire 2/28/03!
    That sounds fair to me...make sure that includes all dealer fees so they dont try to stick you with some $500 advertising fee or some such nonsense and if you are trading don't get suckered there. The Nissan financing advertised locally is 0.9% on maxima's unless I read the paper wrong this weekend.

On waiting a few more weeks...you might get a better price but the selection will be less. If you are not particular about the color/options you might get a bit more off the price...I wasn;t going to buy unless they could find the exact car I wanted...good luck and let us know how you make out.
  • dverespeydverespey Member Posts: 56
    I know one dealer is doing 0% for 36 months at this point. It's not advertised. Plus they are starting with 4000 off sticker. I think 5000 can be done no problem at this point.

I agree there will be more price incentives as we get further into March. Inventory will probably still be good for awhile. I'm certain there is still some sitting on boats yet.
  • madman05madman05 Member Posts: 1
    I've seen the new Maxima and the pictures don't do it any justice; the grill doesn't look as bad as it does in the pictures because you can't see the chrome, and the interior is beautiful and the headlights/taillights look really nice
  • eddie1028eddie1028 Member Posts: 7
    Im thinking of trading in my 2001 Maxima GXE for a ES300, should I trade in before the new ones come out or will the price not go down that much.
    What year ES300? The new Maxis going to start at 28k, but as a lot of people have said you can probably find a good deal on an '03 Maxima. Even the current ES300 is priced higher than the '04 Maxima which has 265hp and the current ES300 has 210hp. Even an '03 Maxima has 255hp and is in the 20-30k range if not low 20k area. Looking at Lexus web site and pricing the ES it is up there.

Seems to me to be getting less for more money.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    I was on e bay earlier and I saw a dealer advertising the all new 04 for MSRP and claimed to have many in stock!
    There are many who look at ALOT more than HP, and in many categories, the ES is far superior than the 03 Maxima. The ES wouldnt be my choice, but I can understand its appeal. It is not getting "less for more". Its getting something different...

~alpha
    Hp is just something that does not matter to me as much anymore. I want a luxury car but I need FWD because of the wisconsin weather. I just went to the Auto show today and the I30 was just beautiful, but then again its RWD.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    The Infiniti I35 is a FWD Luxury version of the Nissan Maxima. They are also a great bargain as they are in their last year of production. Infiniti seems to be going to a complete line up of RWD vehicles.

Maybe your thinking of the G35?
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    well, they have been building them for a while, and autonews says that about 4,291 have been built so far

http://www.autonews.com/files/prod.pdf

VIN numbers usually end in the production sequence number, and this one ends in 04527. So has it been built yet? I don't know.

There have been no reports of the 04 Max at any dealer yet. Some people said dealers may get one this week (around March 5) before shipments start in earnest mid-month.
    yeah i was talking about the G35, my friend has an I35 that we took to the auto show, and thats why it was going through my head.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    At the Milwaukee auto show last saturday 2/22, the Nissan rep said the 04 maxima's would be hitting the dealers showrooms the week of March 17th, no sooner.

He had all the correct answers to all of my questions about the car but said a couple of somewhat disconcerting things:

1.Almost all production is the SL no SE's.
    2.He hasn't seen in person the interior with the "4 passsenger" option, only pictures. Doesn't think it will be on very many cars.

I asked for him to unlock the Maxima so I could sit in it and try it out for size (which he did).

Nice car overall but it just didn't excite me in anyway, visually or otherwise.

I have two Maxima's that have served me extremely well for a combined >310,000 miles and I really wanted to like the new one enough to buy it.

Maybe a test drive will light the fire?
    My dealer believes the SE models will sell the best. Actually they expect mostly SE models March 9, and very few SL models.
    I was also there and a a rep. from Wilde Nissan said around March 9th. It looked nice outside, but the inside really bothered me for some reason. There were too many buttons and the dash was to odd shaped for my likeing.
  • 1firefly21firefly2 Member Posts: 4
    I saw two 2004 Maximas at the Cleveland auto show. Beautiful cars from front to back. Both platinum color with latte leather interior. One was SE w/ auto. Other was SL with wood grain inserts and moon roof. I liked the SE better. Several dealers were circling the crowd. They knew nothing about the car, its colors, or price. They expected cars on the lots about Mar. 6. Dealer training scheduled for 3/15. The interior quality seemed more like the Altima, than the Murano. Some upgrades but not huge. The Infiniti G35 is definitely a big step up. I am anxious to drive the 6-speed. I bought an 02 V6 Altima 5-speed stick and love it. The wife sez OK to the Maxima, but more of a guy's car because the interior is full of brushed metal trim, not warm like an Accord. I liked it a lot but no handstands. The more expensive Volvo S80 T6 is my real hero.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    announced. Go to nissannews.com. Start at $26950 + dest. for SE.
    I might be able to afford a basic SE model.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    "Maxima’s legendary performance continues with the use of the award-winning VQ 3.5-liter DOHC V6 engine, refined for 2004 to produce 265 horsepower and 255 lb-ft torque. The VQ engine series has been recognized as one of the “Ten Best Engines” by Ward’s Auto World magazine for nine consecutive years."

Nine years in a row.....sweet.
  • sglatorsglator Member Posts: 20
    And this is MSRP starting at $26950. 6-9 months later it will be selling for invoice. MSRP for SE + Driver Preffered Package is about $30K that means ~$27-28 invoice. This is definitely not too bad.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    So today is the intro day for 04 Maximas. Are there any at the dealers yet? I have not seen any in central Ohio.
    But my dealer did have brochures. I got one. They don't expect the Maxima to hit dealers in my area until at least this Saturday. I will swing by on Sunday and Monday just to be sure.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    I went to Nissan and "built" a 2004 SE which is
    not equipped as well as my present SE. It came
    to $31,985 including freight. My present Max
    stickered @ around $29,985.00. That doesn't even
    include the package with the HID headlights which
    were STANDARD on the earlier models.

So, you think the new Maxes are priced just fine?
    I don't!

berbel
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    one thing is for sure, they won't make any 'impact' with their pricing. maybe they will end up being like GM, setting laughably high MSRP's, need a ton of incentives to move it.
    04 Maxima can hit 34 grand. Sorry, but I would gladly visit the Infiniti dealer and get a moderately optioned G35 if I had the money.

Car=awesome
    Pricing=sales killer.

~alpha
This discussion has been closed.