Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix 2004 Redesign Questions & Comments

1235»

Comments

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I thought the suspension was a bit too soft.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Took a 15 minute drive in a GTP CompG (with exactly the options that I would order, except color!) at lunch today. My impressions:

Ride? Firm, but acceptable, all in all. Information I have indicates that the difference between the GTP and the CompG suspension-wise is only ‘firmer bushings and spring rates’. Meaning not also dampers / shock absorbers. The replacement of shocks (for those who don’t happen to know) with struts, is typically more expensive than replacing bushings. I found the isolation of short sharp bumps or broken pavement to be quite reasonable, esp. given the V rated 55 series tires.

Acceleration? Pretty much as I expected, having owned a ’97 GTP.

NVH? This appears to be a solid, well bolted (welded, bonded, glued) together vehicle. Pontiac seems to have done both a good job at design avoiding areas where various interior components might rub or squeak (for instance) and assembly. Structure appears v. good. The exhaust note is noticeable, but not objectionable.

There was absolutely NO noticeable torque steer! And I was looking carefully for this. Driving only the front wheels with torque over 250 tends to be a challenge. Well done, Pontiac!

Steering at all speeds (well, I did not have the opportunity to exceed about 75) seemed well weighted and accurate.

Smoothness? Power delivery is excellent and TQ is available at any RPM. The drivetrain is well sorted. The TAPshift feature added to the MX0 trans. is well executed. Though I noticed no ‘throttle blip’ on downshifts, they were still well handled with minimal surge / buck. The upshifts were quick and well managed. Since both my current and prior vehicles had a ‘man-u-matic’ feature, I am used to the concept. What I found WOULD (for me) likely require some time to adapt to is the paddle shift mechanisms. The certainly work as advertised, but I am used to reaching down with my right hand to slap the console mounted shift lever forward or back to shift manually that I was not immediately comfortable with the paddles. And in sharp turns, where the paddles are substantially ‘out of position’, I found it a bit un-intuitive to have to seek the current (sometimes moving) paddle positions to shift. Sometimes it is just not practical to maintain hand positions at 10 and 2.

I do like the enhanced DIC and HUD. And the level of interior trim, quality, fit and finish seem appropriate for a car in this proce range.

Driving position? I was a bit surprised that w/moonroof I needed to adopt rather more of a ‘laid back’ driving position to clear the headliner . . .

RPM at 60 approx. 1800 / 1850.

I happen to like to 10 spoke wheels – and the red brake calipers.

I really would like GM to increase the GP warrantee beyond 36 / 36. And a DVD based NAV system. But I digress . . .

All is all, the GP GTP w/CompG stays on my short list. . .

Cheers,
    - Ray

Just my $.01.5 worth – adjusted for current economic conditions.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    I'm actually glad to hear the GTP rides like the GT2.
  • fred707fred707 Member Posts: 27
    O.k. so here is the deal with the wheels... There from what I am told is that the allocation of wheels sent for production was way low. Back in 1997 when the first wide track was introduced the GTP was 2% of all GP's sold. So production managers decided this go around the GTP's and GT's would sell but the comp-g would be like every other high performance (WS-6 Ram Air, and SS Camaro) car built by GM. Slow off the line in sales. So in a fast pace to get the vehicles to market Dealers were forcing the new wheel on to the car. Blame the dealer for adding it. Or if you are happy with the car, and were pushing to get it asap. Blame yourself for not wanting to wait.

Production on the wheels was only delayed 2 weeks. My dealer refused to force the wheels on until they became available from GM. Now all is back. My suggestion is. If you like the wheels on the GTP standard don't buy the comp- G. It defeats the purpose.
    should be ready to pick up tomorrow. Fortunately, I was able to find a dealer willing to do GMS pricing and do a locate on the car with the exact options I wanted.

In prior posts, some people have complained about the 10-spoke Comp-G wheels. I actually like the 10-spoke wheels, but didn't want the extra firm ride of the Comp-G.

So, if there's anyone in the Chicago area who would like to trade their 10-spoke wheels for my chrome 5-spoke curved wheels, let me know.
  • kevin113kevin113 Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know what that large dial is used for down next to the gear shift next to the traction control button it looks like it has 4 settings is it for the heads up display thank you
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Yes.
    - Ray
    Always enjoying being a man of few words . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    they say that that is to control the HUD
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I saw 1 on RT 22 in New Jersey. I'm suprised I already saw 1. Pontiac dealers must be loaded with 03 leftover Grand Prix's.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I've seen some of the 04's on the lots here in the PDX metro area. They are selling some, but I've yet to spot one during my daily commute. (~ 70 miles round trip) The 2003's seem to be selling off quickly here as they are discounted way down.... like mine. I decided to take a 2003 GT w/ widetrack package, 1SB & 4 way lumbar DS for about $18700(MSRP >$27k) rather than wait for the 2004s. I am going to wait and see how the 2004 shakes out.
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    I've seen dozens of the 04 model on the streets, but only 2 with the Comp. pkg. (metro Detroit).
    I've seen 2 here in Chicago, and one of them is mine :)
    The only Grand Prix I have seen in the new 94 style is mine. I do like the way the folks look at it when they pull up to me. Especially the 97-03 GP owners.... They appreciate the car.
  • dave000kdave000k Member Posts: 13
    I checked out a 2004 GTP on the showroom floor while my car was in for service. I thought some of the interior controls looked confusing. I guess you could quickly learn. It looked like it had two rat tails, one for Onstar, the other I don't know. I also noticed the side view mirrors don't fold back. That is a feature I appreciate in my '99. Stickered out at over 30K. Seemed a little pricey to me.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    On streets. Then again I've only seen 3 9-3's, 1 TSX, and 2 Mazda 6's so far too.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Dave, the second "rat tail" is undoubtedly the XM Radio antenna. Actually, both are more like stubs than rat-tails these days.

My local (awful) Pontiac dealer has at least a dozen of the new Grand Prix's on the lots. Almost all are GTP's. Haven't seen one on the road yet.

--Robert
    your mirrors fold? what car do you have?
  • dave000kdave000k Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the information, hammen. It would appear that the dealer had not installed the antenna on the car I saw.
    I have a '99 Regal. The side view mirrors will fold back if they are bumped in the front. I thought this was standard on GM mid and large size cars. Also I didn't see electochromatic mirrors, pollen filter or automatic climate control on the '04 GTP. Perhaps I am mistaken.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Folding mirrors haven't been available on the Grand Prix in ages, if they ever were. Same for automatic climate control.

Pretty sad, but just more decontenting. The automatic climate control is one of many factors apt to steer me into a Mazda6 or a Subaru WRX and right out of the GTP. Well, that and the ridiculous not-suited-for-adults flat back seat.
    I too thought it was not exactly the best, but 3 of my inlaws were riding in the back seat and complimented me on the room and comfort (they have a 2001 Century). And I don't think they were saying it just to be nice.
    DUAL auto climate control was available on '97, '98' and '99 Grand Prix. Then they took it out for some reason.
    your in-laws aren't normally nice to you?
  • gp_fangp_fan Member Posts: 6
    The article mentions that the '04 GTP supercharged series III engine can use regular or premium fuel.

I can't confirm that with GM. I spoke to a factory info. rep. on the 1-800 line & she referreed me to their on-line catalog which still states premium fuel is required on the supercharged GTP for 2004.

So what's the story?
    Sorry, I should add I am in Canada. I found reference to the fuel question at www.pontiac.com and it confirms regular fuel can be used, but on the www.gmcanada.com site it says premium only and that's what the info. rep. committed to.

So I still have the same question.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    From the 2004 US brouchure, "While premium fuel is recommended for maximum performance, it runs quite capably on regular unleaded gasoline". From what I have read, regular puts out around 240 hp (simular to the previous car) but with premium engine will put out the new 260 hp.
    Thanks montanafan. I think GM Canada has some 'splainin' to do. The damn thing is built here!
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    In a restaraunt parking lot. Thats 2 already. GM could have something here.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    carguy58 said in part:

<<<GM could have something here.>>>

A dealer convention???

john cline ii, who just had to
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    While waiting for my car to get its oil changed, and its 45,000 mile checkup, I wandered into the new Pontiac/Buick showroom. Lo and behold, there was a brand new black '04 GP GTP. I started shooting the breeze with a nearby salesman. He invited me to take a ride with him in the only other '04 GTP they had (to get some donuts for the other sales people). He said he had to drive, and punched it as we left the driveway. I was pinned to the back back of my seat, although not to the same degree as my buddy's Firebird WS6 Formula. I'm not saying it has Firebird's acceleration, but it does seem much faster than my Regal GS. The 3800 Series III engine does appear to be a very good replacement for the Series II.
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Good to see your posts.
    I have not been around awhile. MY Regal GS is gone now two reasons getting upside down, too many problems to boot. Anyways I am delighted about the new GTP and hope to get one on GM's 24 hour test drive offer I just received.
    Took delivery of 04 GT2 about 4 weeks ago.

On the plus side, refined ride (not quite so harsh as the 03), extremely quiet. Miss my Ricaro seats, but the leather is quite comfortable. The 3800 series 3 is adequate, not spectacular, but I am getting great mileage (35 mpg on highway). Steering takes a bit getting used to, but in the end is responsive when it needs to be, and soft when you don't want to be jerked all over the road. Brakes are massive all 'round, best I've had in a long time. The back seat looks crummy, and headroom is a bit limited, but if you don't have a long torso it is actually very roomy and comfortable, even for 3 adults. But then I don't sit there - LOL. The head up display is finally quite useful, and I have already become totally dependent on it. The info. display took some getting used to, but it doesn't take long. The timer is a [non-permissible content removed] to set/reset, and quite frankly I'd rather have the odometer & trip on view all the time. But the second trip odometer makes up for it.

On the negative side, the lumbar support is better than nothing, but not great. The cowl over the dash is way too small. You get glare in the lower corners of the gauge panel no matter how you adjust the seating. Little too much black plastic on the dash and doors for my liking, and the electrochromatic rear view mirror would have been a nice touch, as would have been auto dual air. The tether on the gas cap is really short, and I miss the bracket on the gas door to hold the cap while fuelling. The cap swings & rubs against the back fender.

But all in all a fun car to drive, reasonable power in the GT2, and its kinda nice to get the turned heads and stares...its a good looker (of course I am biased, I paid for the sucker).

I tortured over the GT2 or GTP. I still torture over it, but in the end I really harldly ever demand full power from a car, so while the extra power would be quite welcome, I would rarely use it.

I'm just pissed I couldn't get the 5-year 0% financing.
    I'm on my second GP; 2003 GT; it's not put together quite as well as my 2000 GTP, but no problems yet. I really like most of the 2004, but decided to wait.(and got a steal of a deal on the 2003)

My Question is - What color did you go for?
  • diablo4diablo4 Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know if the Grand prix will get a V8 and how much hp.
    Well I finally decided on silver. Only interior choice was dark pewter, which is what I wanted anyway.

I had a look at 5 units side-by-each of different colors, and while my original choice from the brochure was black, to my eye the darker colors and hte white tended to mask out the sharp sheet-metal lines and the car didn't look quite so distinctive as in silver, but color is such a personal matter, eh?

Didn't expect the factory order until August-September, but 2 weeks after placing the order the dealer called and said it just came off the assembly line, and the next week it arrived, and a few days later later it was prepped & paint sealed & ready to go after they showed it off and put on their damn dealer stickers. 4 weeks, not bad for a factory order! And the stickers peeled off real easy in the hot sun.

Not to be too negative, but there really isn;t much clearance between the driver's seat where the seat controls are nad the door. Hard on the wrist watch.
    Try digging in the door pockets. That really is hard on watches.
  • diablo4diablo4 Member Posts: 40
    The grand prix in 2005 will get a V8.
    2005 GP get a V8 - I'd be interested in the source of the information. Sort of makes you wonder if they are going to kill the Bonneville or go after a specialty vehicle in each segment.

As for the interior of the 2004 GP, it seems a bit more cockpit like, but I also have a tight fit reaching for the seat controls on our 2001 GMC Yukon.(and it's not like I have Popeye size arms!) I'm still a bit perplexed that Lutz let the interior finishes go to production like they are. But then again it's a matter of tastes.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Lets hope they do the right thing and if they put a v8 in any cars besides the Bonnie and GTO, they put it in a RWD sedan.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I saw this posted in the Chevy Impala forum:

"Automotive News has reported in its August 4 issue that the 2006 Impala will have an optional V8, probably a 275 hp 4.8L V8. The car will probably remain front wheel drive. The article did not say what the other engines will be, but I would not be surprised if the 200 hp 3.5L OHV V6 from the 2004 Malibu were standard. GM is also introducing a new 3.9L OHV V6 for the 2006 model year that could go into the Impala."

The '05 GP may be getting these same motors before Chevy gets them. I also read where the normally aspirated and supercharged 3.8 liter Series III engines will eventually be phased out.
    3.8 has 9 lives
    Based on what I read and speaking to industry insiders. There are no Plans to put forth v8's into any of the W body vehicles. In fact the Chevrolet branded autos (Monte Carlo SS, Impala SS) are only getting the series II 6 cylinder supercharged 3800 used in previous model grand prix's. The bonneville will be getting the new v8 but no plans YET for the Grand Prix, and chevy's.
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    That the Supercharged SSEi Bonneville, will be dropped and replaced by the Bonneville GPX V8 (saw it at the autoshow in March).
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    GP, How're you liking your GT2 these days? I'm looking at the same choice, GT2 vs GTP, I want the side air bags and those come only on the 2 or GTP. There's definitely the matter of a few grand, I have a Regal LS now and as you state the power of the 3.8 is plenty adequate for almost everything, plus 35 mpg (is that Canadian or US gallons?) is pretty dadblamed good. I was thinking of black, white, or grey. What did you think of the green? You got the leather seats? Sunroof? How close to dealer cost and what incentives did you get? What are the standard tires? Thanks for your feedback.
    Over the labor day weekend, Pontiac - GMC took out a full page add with their incentives for the holiday weekend. The 2004 GP was advertised as have $3000 in total rebates. They didn't have any fine print or explanation of the rebate breakdown. I've seen the $1500 on the Pontiac site, there is a $1000 loyalty rebate, but I'm trying to figure what the additional $500 is from.

ps: saw some photos of the 2004 GTO posted on the GTO board. Check out posting 329 and click on the links.
    After putting on 6000 km or so, the 3.8 normally aspirated isn't what I would call PLENTY adequate, but just adequate. It needs a lot of rev's to get any torque out of it. An extra 20 hp or so would be most welcome. But its not a dog either.

Standard tires are P225-60R-16. GTP gets you into P225-55R-17.

GT2 adds 4-wheel ABS, aluminmum wheels, power seats with optional power lumbar, Magnasteer power steering, traction assist, tire inflation monitor, Lifestyle pkg. includes front passenger folding seatback (folds forward into a "desk", cargo mat, cargo net and covered cargo storage, Premium Light Group: includes front and rear reading lamps, driver and passenger illuminated visor mirrors, rear assist grips and overhead console, leather covered steering wheel with radio controls, overhead console, & optional head-curtain side air bags ( extra cost, around $800.00 CDN as I recall). The GT2 add-on is well worth the extra cost compared to the GT1.

I only added leather & info. technology display (head up display and enhanced trip computer). Never been too fussy on the sun roof, and the chromed wheels for a grand didn't particularly impress me.

Highway mpg is in US gal. It's rated at 33 mpg(US) or 40 mpg(Imperial). I am pretty impressed, but that is with cruise on & I have a pretty soft foot, besides. However as soon as you get into city stop & go driving, or if you get aggressive at all, it drops like a lead baloon. I'm averaging city/hwy about 50/50 and getting about 30mpg(US) overall, but like i said I am very soft on the accelerator and brakes.

The dealer is a buddy, so I got a pretty good price, but at the time I bought, most other dealers were selling them at mfg. list price, no discounts at all since there was a ton of 2003 inventory to get rid of & very few 2004 in stock.

Don't ask me about color. Whatever turns your crank. You have to see them in person, though, as the brochure does not show the colours well.
This discussion has been closed.