Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix 2004 Redesign Questions & Comments

Comments

• 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    the current GP goes up to $27K or somewhere in that range. I dont know why anyone would think the '04 GO would be any cheaper than that. A car that offers 260hp isnt going to be cheap regardless of who makes it. The damn accord almost goes to $30K if you add all the options so I dont see why the GP cant do the same. YOu cant expect to get a fully loaded car like that for $25K.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Yeah, but Accord also has higher perceived quality.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Let's Hope GM thinks long and hard about the pricing... ruski has an excellent point. Perceived quality and reliability have really hurt GM and other domestic auto sales. So if the GP pushes to the $30k range; 260hp, stabiliTrac, etc... even if the competition has less features, in that price range a lot of folks are going to look at the Acura, Maxima, G35, IS300... and may walk away from or not give the GP a second glance. Myself included... I loved my 2000 GTP but if the $ delta is only $1k-$2k I'm going to be really torn between a 2004 GTP and a G35.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Be aware the new Maxima comes out this coming spring. Nissan has already said there will be a larger price gap between it and a loaded Altima, which sure sounds to be a MAJOR price increase.

Also, most GP buyers never even look at imports. I doubt that changes.
    the car is not overpriced compared to the midsize competition. This car is not going to cost as much as a G35 or an IS300. fully loaded it should be close to 30K which is where those two cars start, I dont think it will outperform a RD G35 but it will definitely leave the IS300 in the dust. I dont think the GP is perceived as a low quality car anyway. The interior may be cheap, but I think the new one will improve that considerably.
    Well, having owned a 98 GTP and a 00 Impala LS, I can say this: GM interiors have nowhere to go but up. Long-lasting, durable but SCREAM cheap!

The ONLY current exception seems to be Cadillac.
    I was surfing and found these photos posted by someone who shot them at the 2002 SEMA show in November. There is a mix of cars but many are of the 2004 GTP.

http://new.clubgp.com/sema2002/

• mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    GP will not be compared to G35/IS300/TL. Thats job of Cadillac and CTS. Its rivals will be Altima/Accord. Even before its out of the gate, here are just some of its disadvantages.

1) The 2 A's are built on all new platforms, GP platform is at least 10-12 year old. Sorry, auto tech has moved on the last decade, the difference will be noticeable.

2) The A's engines are as powerful w/o supercharger. Sorry, auto tech has moved on...

3) GP might be more expensive than the A's.

The A's engines are detuned versions of engines in the G35/TL. Why cant GM put a detuned version of the CTS new 3.6L/250hp in GP? While their at it, might as well give it a new improved platform.

Its half baked attempts like this that causes GM to lose all of the 1 on 1 battles when it comes up against the imports.
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    I agree completely. By the time GM catches up to the current Japanese technology and pricing, another 3 or more years will have gone by and they will still be behind. At the rate they are going, they will never catch up - Lutz or no Lutz.
  • mriversmrivers Member Posts: 9
    "1) The 2 A's are built on all new platforms,"

AFAICT, the Accord is on the same chassis as last (several) years.

"GP platform is at least 10-12 year old."

The GP was all new in 96.

Not that it matters, they're both good daily drivers.

"2) The A's engines are as powerful w/o supercharger. Sorry, auto tech has moved on..."

Who cares!?, the GTP's engine will be more powerful PERIOD. I for one an disappointed in Nissan & Honda, in that they can't even best GM's motor like GM's motor did to Nissan's & Honda's in 96 (with a 50hp advantage).

"3) GP might be more expensive than the A's."

Well atleast that's right... "might".

"Why cant GM put a detuned version of the CTS new 3.6L/250hp in GP?"

Why? the new motor will be 260hp/280tq. More than the A's. The current GP's motor is already "detuned", and is readily capable of making substantially more HP with minor changes.
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    I'm a life long GM owner and a current owner of a 98 Grand Prix GT. I must admit I was entralled with the new Accord V6 after test driving one recently. Although the GP is more sporty looking, the engine and trans in the Accord have been improved greatly this year to 240 HP. Great low end torque, just as I'm accustomed to in my GP.

I am finally tiring of the cheap looking interiors in all GM products, except for perhaps Cadillac. The Accord interior seems almost Lexus-like. As much as I really want to stay with GM, partially due to GMS pricing and GM Card Rebates, I am nearing a decision I never thought I'd be making -- Buying Japanse.

I'm hoping the 2004 GP knocks my socks off at the Auto show in February, but I doubt it.
    Well, Lutz SAYS GM is improving the interiors....but this is from the man who was in charge of deleting the indicators and lights on the shifter of my beloved Impala line, getting rid of the changeholder, omitting the lock on the glovebox door, omitting the light in the glovebox, omitting the seatback pocket on the driver's side, and on and on...

Enough decontenting already...I may just buy a Mazda6 this time and be done with it.

I, too, had a 98 GTP. I loved EVERYTHING about it except the headlights which constantly fogged with moisture, the backseat shoulderbelt portion of the seatbelts which constantly tightened and tightened and tightened, nearly strangling riders, and the cheapo interior which looked ratty, even when new.

Also, a car of the GTP's caliber (or the Impala LS's) should have automatic climate control, at least as an option.
    John - I have the same fogging problems on my headlights too, although it really hasn't bothered me much. For the most part, it's been a good reliable car.

Yeah, I agree Pontiac interior have an especially cheapo look to them, especially their leather. I would rather have a Chevy-look to the interior than the Pontiac-look.

If the 2004 GP interior looks as bad in person as the pictures I've seen posted on the Web, I'll probably be looking at purchasing either a CTS, Accura, Accord, or ES300. And the CTS interior isn't anything to write home about, but at least it's a slight improvement over the other GM cars. Deville and Seville are nice inside, but cost, heavy depreciation and quality are steering me away from them.
    W. Buffett says in the long term the market is always right. In the long term, GM & Ford have been losing market equity and market share, they must be doing something wrong. Ford is trying to set things right with the new 500: new platform, new 3.5 DOHC engine. I dont see same commitment from GM. I'm sure when the 500 comes out, Ford will leapfrog GM in that market segment. Except for Caddy, GM is still counting beans and cutting corners!
  • ssurgeontssurgeont Member Posts: 8
    I saw the 04 GP at the pontiac POCI show in charleston W.V.and I personally thought it was gorgeous. The interior if they actually sell it that way was as good as any lexus I"ve seen.I went to the Miami auto show hoping to see it again but was disapointed to see the 03's instead.The interiors dont look as cheap as most others think they look but the 04 was way better.Just my opinion but ofcourse your right about perception.I tend to blame unions more than the beancounters though.
    I've to disagree with you. Remember the GM/Toyota joint venture in Fremont, CA. The plant that used to make Corolla/Nova, and now makes Matrix/Vibe. That plant is unionized, and those cars did and do pretty well in quality.

I remember when all Japanese cars were imported, many, including some in Detroit executive suits (conveniently enough), blamed the N/A workers when the Detroit products didn't measure up. Now when most Japanese cars are made here with American workers, it must be the unionized workers' fault. The one constant: the bean counters have been in control the whole time!
    Here is a web site link that contains Pontiac's specs/options... as they sit now with the 2004 GP. They update it periodically.

At the site click on Print Book, then select 2004 Grand Prix from the drop down.

You can chose by section or click on Print Model to get the entire document. You'll need Acrobat reader to open the document. Click on Print and it will open the document.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?regionID=1&divisionID=7#

on a personal note, I feel that in the past most "Japanese" origin autos have had superior fit and finish cosmetically initially. But I've seen a number of Camrys, Accords, Maximas, Acuras that look tattered after several years of use. From what I have seen in the last 10 years from Ford, GM and even Chrysler is quantum leaps in interior improvements. "Perception" is still impacting them and that will take years(if ever) to over come. On the contrary, some data I've seen leads me to believe many of the foreign models interior/exterior quality has backtracked a tad.(some on models built here and also on models imported)
    I believe that a lot of people's perception of "quality" is relative to what they are used to and what they read, what their friends think... I've got a brother that won't own anything but a Saab or a Volvo, everything else is junk to him.

So drive 'em all and buy whichever one best meets your personal needs and tastes.

Has anyone seen any 2004 brochures yet?

I read on the Chicago Auto Show web site that the GP will start production right around the start of the Auto Show (Feb 14).

I'm hoping some dealers have them in stock by late February.
    The only information I have seen says limited fleet availability in May and June, although GM started taking dealer and fleet orders in November. If they start limited production February/March it'd be April or May before they hit the lots. They will probably restrict production until summer to ramp down the 2003's.
    I signed up for the brochure request on the Pontiac Web site which now has a presentation on the 2004 GP. As far as I can tell it was only added to the site in the last few days... in my past experiences the cars start hitting the lots about the same time as limited brochures become available.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    There are some on the roads where I live - all GM employee cars. They look pretty nice. I've seen about six or so.
    I don't think most perceptions come out of thin air. Most of them have bases in reality. Perceptions created by Madison Avenue don't last. Perceptions created by own experiences do last.

I've had 2 cars, a Honda & Nissan, both engines passed 140K without any problem, and were as eager to rev then as new. The Nissan never fails me in anything, the dash looks in perfect condition. In fact everything looks in brand new condition.

I remember my dad's old Chevys. The a/c's would not work after a few years. The dash would peel away. Seat covers would come apart at the seams. When cold, the engine would stall, usually right in middle of intersections.

Reading the specs, I know in reality GP is not matching Atltima/Accord. GM's just trying to convince people that they are. I say to GM: same old, same old. In the long term, the market is always right, and perception is reality.
    Interesting.

Care to comment on my 2000 Impala LS which appears as new, has had ONE repair, a headlight switch, and has 111,000 miles?

Or my 98 Pontiac GTP which had 77000 carefree miles on it when I traded it in three years ago for said Impala?

Not fair to judge todays marques by 70's/80's crap. The Japanese cars from that era rusted away to nothing, for the most part.

Things are better now. Thank heaven.
    FYI - I just saw an episode of Motorweek(Sat 01/04 on our PBS channel). They did a test drive and review of one of the new 2004 GTPs. Nice looking car and they were quite complimentary as to GM's new redesign visual and driving. Mentioned it "outclassed" the Accord, Camry... and they said that even with the Comp G option it should come in under $30k.
    Hmmmm. The website says that Motorweek is not be shown til 24 Jan! You got an early taste!

The teaser emails that GM is sending to former GP owners (like me) say this:

**Pontiac Grand Prix is reborn for 2004. Taking the concept of the true driver's car to the next level, the thought arose: Might one car excel at everything? Check out the '04 Grand Prix online and the question magically answers itself. With power, torque and intensity. With an extraordinary handling system. Plus remarkable versatility and room. It's coming in late 2003. But it's waiting for you online right now.***

Late 2003???
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    >>>Reading the specs, I know in reality GP is not matching Atltima/Accord. GM's just trying to convince people that they are. I say to GM: same old, same old. In the long term, the market is always right, and perception is reality. <<<

What specs? GTP is faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile then the new V6 Accord. It stops shorter and outhandles it according to Car and Driver. Not to mention looking alot better then the Dull, Appliance, blend in with everything else look of the Accord. Car and Driver tested the skidpad of the Accord V6 at an embarassing .74g. Thats Towncar Territory. I've driven both cars. I have owned a 1997 and now a 2002 GTP. I have driven and ridden in my friends 2000 Accord. The GTP is fun to drive, I have gotten many compliments of "Nice car" though of course mine is modified, the Accord is dull and boring. Yes the accord has higher better resale, but I don't make a car buying decision on resale entirely, because all cars depreciate.

As for interiors... whats up with the small radio buttons, lack of radio steering controls, no head up display, no BOSE, No Onstar and the glove compartment door that is awkard and nearly as high as the airbag. Not to mention the noisy slow 4 cylinder in the accord that you can actually feel it idling where at least the GP comes with a std V6 which is smoother and you don't feel it idling at a light or in park.

My leftover new 2002 GTP coupe MSRP for $28,260 fully loaded. I got $3,000 off of it then GM's $3,000 rebate. I ended up paying $22,260, I feel a very good deal for what I got.

You can't get a V6 Altima or V6 Accord loaded for $22,260. Try about $26,000 or higher. I went to 5 dif Nissan dealers they all told me their cost on a loaded V6 Altima was $25,500 and that I would have to do better. The V6 Accord coupe loaded they are selling for MSRP or higher, some had a $2k over MSRP. Which brought it to $30k or more. Sorry, not worth $7k more.

The Accord and Atlima are NOT worth $4k more then what I paid for a GTP.
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    As for quality of the GP? My 1997 when I traded it in a few months ago still looked like brand new. Paint and interior. Engine/tranny still drove like new. All options worked perfectly. It didn't leak or burn a drop of oil. In fact the dealer though it was a 1999 or 2000. Only thing giving it away were the older style wheels. My interior held up well. Better then my friends 2000 Accord, that his seats are already starting to rip. But again, it depends on how you take care of your car. He really doesn't that well.
    I owned a 98 GTP. I have driven many Accords. Yep, the Accord has a nicer interior. Yep, the Accord has higher resale. Hey, I might even spot you that the Accord has better reliablity, though nothing happened to my GTP in 77,000 miles of ownership.

There is only one problem with the Accord in my opinion. And due to that problem, I will not buy one. You see, I have driven an Accord. And to me, the V-6 Accord is BORING. Terribly, interminably boring. Thanks, but no thanks.
    Not that I'm a foreign car lover or GM basher, especially since I own a 98 GP that I like very much, but the newly redesigned 2003 Accord's V6 is very powerful, indeed. Plus the Accord's interior puts the Pontiac's interior to shame.

I'm hoping the interior of the new GP is much improved, as some reviews have indicated.
  • wildman11wildman11 Member Posts: 2
    I just saw the new GTP at the auto show. It's been greatly improved and is an awesome car. The car is also much faster now thanks to the 3.29 gears and better supercharger.
    Here is a link I picked up on one of these forums a while back. The Car Connection has photos and blurbs on highlights from the major auto shows. Currently they are covering the Detroit and LA shows.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5650&sid=173&n=156

I checked the Motorweek website today because I saw their review of the 2004 GTP on Saturday. Most of their comments are posted on the "car keys" link under the "inside track" at their website. I don't know how long they post each of the articles for, but I suspect they change weekly so I cut and pasted it here also.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/carkeys/

"2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

3.8-liter V-6 w/ Eaton supercharger

260-horsepower

$23,000 - $30,000

While trucks are king, General Motors is making it clear that it's still a car company at heart, as its prepares a complete overhaul of its mid-size sedan lineup. First out of the gate, the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Looking nearly identical to the G-Force show car, the '04 Grand Prix is largely all-new. The biggest visual change is the lack of body cladding, and the cleaner and sharper coupe-like profile. The wide track look is more hunkered down, especially in the top line GTP trim.

While the base GT is powered by a carryover 200-horsepower 3.8-liter V-6, the GTP ups the ante to a 260-horsepower 3.8, a 20-horsepower gain, by way of a new Eaton supercharger. For maximum grip, a new Comp G package adds lightweight 17-inch wheels, V-rated tires, retuned suspension, Magnasteer II steering, and StabilTrak. To manage power to that grip, Comp G also adds TAPshift steering wheel shift pedals for the sole transmission, a 4-speed automatic. Unlike some Formula-One-style pedals, TAPshift requires the driver to take control. It won't upshift for you.

The new Grand Prix provides total performance, including unmatched sedan versatility. The split-fold rear seat is huge, if spartan, and when combined with the available front folding passenger seat, allows objects up to 9 feet long to be hauled with the trunk closed. Rear doors also open nearly 90 degrees so oversized cargo can be loaded from the side. With this car you may not need a minivan or SUV.

And when the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix goes on sale in April it will have prices that put an SUV to shame, from about $23,000 for the GT, to around $28,000 for the GTP. Even with the Comp G package, the sticker should still be under 30-grand.

And when you compare the new Grand Prix to mid-size car favorites Accord and Camry, it simply out classes them in everything from velocity to versatility. If this is how GM plans to revitalize its car business, the Grand Prix is a great start."

• wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    Is the G6 concept car the 2004 Grand Prix ?
    no G6 = Grand Am
    Seems like Pontiac has generated a bit of confusion because they have introduced a number of concepts and show cars with similar codes..

Here is a link that has some of Pontiac's show and concept cars:

http://www.pontiac.com/pontiacjsp/passion/concept/main.jsp?source=main

What I understand is the G6 is the future Grand Am, the line of GXP show cars, some will be built as limited editions and there is also the G-force Grand Prix show car that may end up as a production variant.

G-Force was the name of the concept that the 2004 Grand Prix is based on.
    Does anyone know if the sunroof opens up "spoilier type" as in the current GP, or into the roofline as most normal sunroofs do?
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    got back from the auto show and if I remember correctly the sun roof open spoiler stlye. The GP looked very nice. Interior looks better although the hard plastic still is there. Looking forward to driving one.
    Thanks ruski... I was meaning that some of the styling/options on the G-force might get offered on the new GP. I recalled reading somewhere that Pontiac was considering offering the G-Force 2+2 seating(4 race inspired buckets) and the satin-nickel finish gauges as options, and still hoping to offer the 280hp.(tranny reliability issues I think) It's early and maybe we'll see those come out as options. I'm hoping to see more color options for the interior.
    Per my preferred dealer they are expecting to have one of the 2004 GPs at the PDX Auto show end of January, so I'm looking forward to getting a closer look.
    Nissan just released a very dopey looking 2004 Maxima and they are going to offer a version with 2+2 seating. Maybe Pontiac will try to be not outdone.
    Nah. Pontiac is giving up on dopey. Cladding is gone for 2004.

Ba-Ba-Boom! :)
    This was on an ARI purchasing news report

2004 Grand Prix
    Initial date for orders Late Fall 2002
    Retail production begins February 3, 2003
    Fleet production begins May, 2003
    First fleet deliveries June / July 2003

Per the same Report 2003 GP production ends on February 15th.
    That doesn't make sense. They are going to make both 2003 AND 2004's for nearly two weeks? (Feb 3-Feb 15) Doesn't seem like that would make sense at all...
    Since they are introducing the 2004 early it makes sense as the 2004 production will have to ramp up and work the kinks out. Typically if they do the normal model year change over, they would shutdown in May or June to retool/reload the line for the new model year. I also believe that the 2004 is being built in Canada at a different factory than the 2003s so the "overlap" won't be a problem. In the mean time they still have orders for 2003 to fill as well as fill the gap until the 2004 is ramped up. Besides they will be wanting full price for the 2004's and the 2003's have rebates and 0% financing so many folks will want to buy the 2003.
    You are right, of course. I forgot they were switching plants! :)
    I sat in the car at the auto show and the interior is much better than the old car. I really like the gauges and the fact that pontiac doesnt use wood on the interior. The only thing I dont like is the 17" rims. They are very plain and they do not compliment the car. One thing no one has mentioned is that he car has a rotary knob to control the trip computer, kind of like iDrive only much simpler I imagine. I have seen nothing mentioning this joystick but it was in there. The car looks better in person than it does in pictures and the windows are tinted from the factory. They are considerably darker than he average car as far as I can tell. The model on the floor was the GTP without the comp-G package.
    I'm going to the PDX auto show this week and will take some pictures of the new 2004 GP/GTP and GTO.(best word I have is that Pontiac was planning to have both here for the show.) I'll be happy to log my opinions and would like to post some photos - except I haven't been able to figure out how to import or get a copy and paste to work in these forum messages. I'd appreciate it if anyone can edumacate me on the matter.
    Were there any 2004 GP brochures at any auto shows that anyone has been to?

orwoody, I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures soon. Sorry, I don't know how to help you with your postings.
    yes they had a brochure at the auto show. it was the same info from the website.
    I few weeks back, someone posted that Motorweek would be featuring the 2004 GP in January. In Chicago here, we're now past our last program of Motorweek for January but no feature on the GP.

Anyone have any further info on that program?
This discussion has been closed.