Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala 2004 Redesign

1235»

Comments

• magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Actually, if you read the UK JD Power long term rankings for Ecotec equipped Vectras and Astras, its reliability is only mid-pack. I'd trust those rankings, seeing as the Ecotec's been out there for a few years before it was introduced here.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Too bad the '04 Impala SS won't be getting the new S/C 3800 Series III engine that the '04 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP will be getting. Apparently they don't want to share this new engine (260 ponies) with Chevy. Bad business decision! They also wouldn't share their S/C 3800 Series II with Chevy, until now
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    "They sell factory/dealer installed superchargers on all Ecotecs, reggie.... Esp the Sunfire."

Point me to a link that details this please.......I know superchargers will be available on the Vibe soon but that is a different motor.

Maybe a Cavalier or Sunfire is not a bad idea if you blower it up cheaply.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    jpstax: Yeah, it's weird.. They say they don't wanna "step on Pontiac's toes" but I don't know the true reason. There's no way I'd buy an Impala SS with the GTP getting the Series III, I'd get the GTP. hmmmm

reggie: Just do a search for the link... it's online...
    You might want to look over these links for superchargers, although the Ecotech motor would use a turbocharger:

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/superchar- - - - - - gers.html

http://www.superchargersonline.com/?keyword=truck&source=over- - - ture/
    doesn't look factory supported like the one on the Vibe. Supercharger would be preferred over turbo in an aftermarket install I would guess.

If its not factory warranted, I wouldn't want it.

OK sorry about the disruption. Back to IM PA LA.
    No, the dealer installed/bought forced induction for the Ecotecs are Superchargers, not Turbos... I believe they make a little over 200HP
    yes, but are they dealer installed with full factory warranty? The Vibe supercharger is on the pontiac site and I see no such info on anything related to ecotec.
    Yes, I believe the do have the warranty with them, certainly when dealer installed. I'll see if I can dig up some info later on..
    maybe i could stomach the looks of an Ion for 11 grand if I could put a factory warranted supercharger on it and get 180 horsepower.

I saw a white Impala LS with tan leather today. I think the Impala is decent looking, if conservative. Might be the best color combination for that car. Wish they'd make a yellow Impala with white leather and black dash.
    Well, reg... now we know you have no taste... lol ; )
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    One thing is for sure. Large car in yellow?

Prepare to be hailed! (People will think you are a big yellow taxi!)

White leather? I would hate to have to keep that clean! At least it wouldn't get hot in the summer!

I'd be happier with the Impala if it came with a black interior! Gray or parchment. Blue in the less expensive models (unless they have dropped that too now). It is a bit monotonous.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    that one on the gp-owners forum with the body coloured mouldings looks pretty sharp.
    well, the Mazda6 looks so nice in yellow why wouldn't the Impala?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    It might very well. Still, with its size, people WILL think it is a taxi. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on how much of an extrovert you are and whether you have a good sense of humor.

Perhaps this is a good test for that: Would you drive a used hearse as your daily driver? If you would, a yellow Impala might well be your thing. If not, examine your reasons why.

Chevy could definitely attract a larger clientele for the Impala with some more daring colours. There was once a dashing plum, but they sold very few of them before they just flat out dropped it. Go figure.
  • jbk5jbk5 Member Posts: 26
    The Mazda 6 looks good in any color. That is one sharp looking car.

A yellow Impala might be ok depending where you live. Drive one around downtown Chicago and I guarantee you will be hailed. Repeatedly... There are a lot of Impala taxis there both yellow and orange. I even saw one with a spoiler!
    The Monte looks good in yellow so I figure the Imp may as well. The bigger wheels on the Imp non-taxi version should be all one needs to see to know its not a taxi.
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    I dunno.. the Monte is a hideous car in all colors. To an enthusiast, the wheels might differentiate, but to an average citizen yellow means taxi.
    Not really a Monte style fan in this incarnation, but it looks pretty good in black.... but it's not one of the best looking cars out there...
    If anyone is interested in racing their '04 Impala SS, here are the rules spelled out by the Buick GSCA. I'm sure their rules will be changed to include the new '04 SS Impalas and SS Monte Carlos:

http://www.buickgsca.com/race_rules.htm#FW
    "Automotive News reports that GM will build a new generation of pushrod V-6 engines at its engine plant in Tonawanda, N.Y. The industry weekly says the new range of engines will include a 3.9-liter and a 3.5-liter; both will be equipped with cylinder-deactivation technology, which will enable the engines to shut off cylinders when it can to save fuel - as much as 8 percent in savings."

8 percent, hmmmmmmm where is that 20 percent someone was talking about?
    Reg, if you do a search online, I'm sure you can find it... do your own research
    8% is what they say. no 40mpg anytime soon, dreamers.
    "While actual fuel economy gains depend on driving style, vehicle options and load-carrying conditions, the potential customer benefits are significant. For example, a full-size sport-utility vehicle with a current cruising range of more than 400 miles per tank of gasoline could gain as much as 100 miles per tank with Displacement on Demand, based on a 25 percent improvement in real-world testing done by GM Powertrain engineers."

THERE YOU GO and it was the FIRST link I tried.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Check out the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the '66 and '67 Chevy II cars at this site:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/chevrolet-nova/chevrolet-- - - - nova-history.shtml

I think the new Impala SS will have identical times (6.5 and 15.0 seconds) to these musclecars.
  • aquaknot2000aquaknot2000 Member Posts: 30
    Will the new '04 impala have an in dash 6-disc CD changer available as an option. Or a trunk mounted CD-changer.
  • mapircmapirc Member Posts: 1
    Greetings,

I've heard that the '04 SS has numerous suspension improvements over all non-SS variants. Does anyone know whether the salient '04 SS suspension components can be bolted into '00-'03 (and non-SS '04) models?

Also, does anyone know how the improved SS suspension components compare to current GM as well as aftermarket suspension components which are claimed to improve handling for Impala's?

Best,
    Mapirc
    The answer to your question "Does anyone know how the improved SS suspension components compare to current GM" is, I believe they compare to what what Buick calls its "Grand Touring Suspension". That is, stronger struts, springs, and other parts that produce a smoother ride.
This discussion has been closed.