Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• boredbored Member Posts: 300
    "That must be one very professional Photoshop artist!"

You're not kidding! That picture looks extremely REAL! Never seen any spy picture like that before. I actually like the looks of the RX now, looks much more trucky. Now all they have to do is actually make it a truck...

The 2nd picture from the top is the photoshopped Matrix that I mentioned earlier. It also doesn't blend in with the rest of the Lexus lineup. The 3rd picture does.

Diploid, not even YOU can create something like that, and you're too good as it is! Maybe you should post that in the ARM Motors topic, and claim it as yours!
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Why would Toyota have had such a highly finished vehicle without covers on it? Anyway, you'd think someone would have taken pictures of the back and interior. How do the sides compare to the current one ie mirrors, window shapes? If they are pretty close, it only makes it more likely to be a Photoshop image.

My opinion? Look at the vehicle's left headlight (right)...it doesn't look very realistic against the vehicle in the background. The shape of the headlights don't exactly fit the body in a three dimensional analysis. The front is EXACTLY the same as the LS 430...compare for yourself. It is the same thing. Lexus wouldn't take a sedan's front and melt it onto an SUV. Also, the front bumper isn't separate from the side panels. If a vehicle with that design were in a fender bender, you'd have to replace a HUGE portion of vehicle's metal. I still think it's the one in the pink-purple paint.
  • ch05ech05e Member Posts: 12
    So what does everybody think about this-
    a 3.3 liter engine producing 240 horsepower for the 2 wheel drive version
    a 3.5 liter engine producing 250 horsepower for the 4 wheel drive version
    I think these are some pretty good guesses. Well I wonder if anyone can tell me or give me a link to some new pics of the RX 330 and I wonder what technological features it will have to compete with the neat features of Cadillac's SRX.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I just saw the October issue of ShowTalk, which is the magazine of the 2003 Detroit Auto Show (actually the North American Int'l Auto Show).

It says Lexus plans a worldwide introduction of a new production vehicle at the show. My guess is it will be the new RX.

The show schedule:
    1/5 - 1/7: Press days (when the new car introductions are made)
    1/8 - 1/9: Industry preview days
    1/10: Charity preview
    1/11 - 1/20: Public days
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    coolguy- the front of the pic in question not only resembles the LS430, but also the new GX470 SUV. The pic is very real IMO.

I'm not saying it looks LIKE the LS 430. I'm saying the front IS an LS 430. Look at the fascia design. That photo has been on the Internet for MONTHS and I believe it might have been on that Vince Burlapp site...he doesn't always have the the most reliable stuff either.
    LOL, his site actually has the really fake looking pic of the RX, not the one we're talking about. He does, however, have a very real looking pic of the next gen GS.

This is the first time I've seen that pic of the RX330/350. IMO, it looks very real, but we'll just have to wait until Spring to find out.
    OK, I'm looking closely at that pic. It isn't the headlights that are suspicious; for all we know, Lexus could be aiming for one of those family resemblance theme.

But I do notice the difference in location of the side mirrors in the camouflaged one and the one in question. Camouflaged one, the bona fide one, has them at the corner where the A pillar and body sill meet, which agrees with the drawing. The suspect one still has them located in the position of the current RX300, which protrude out from the body rather than from the triangle where the A-pillar meets the body sill.

But boy does that other pic still look real...
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Just give me the Sequoia's less expensive (for manufacturing)but much more capable AWD system and enough rear suspension clearance to allow the use of snow chains and someone can have my 01 AWD RX for cheap.
    So Lexus finally held their meeting today! Has anyone spoken with their dealers yet to find out any new info or get any pictures. I just really want to see what it looks like and not have to look at these but ugly photoshop pictures that tell me to squint and I will see it. Whitels, from ClubLexus, said there was going to be 230 hp but other people report 240 and 250. Which one is correct? Oh well, if anyone has new info please post it.
    Auto Spies reported that there will be a third row seat option and that it will have 240 hp. They also said it would be available November 2003. And everyone here is saying it will be out in March. Hmmm...interesting. Oh well the one plus was that it would be more value for your money because there is going to be more standard features.
  • xsfoxsfo Member Posts: 17
    I'm hoping for a smaller sized RX without third row seats. See my photoshop take on what the RX330 might look like. It's a modified photo of the Harrier posted earlier. It's the fourth post in the thread.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61362&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

• magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    It looks like a European market car called the Citroen Picasso.
    Drop the number of the name? That could get interesting with Lincoln's LS. They won't drop the numbers.
    I talked with my salesman and he gave me the first official info on the 2004 RX. Dealers and selected personnel were shown a video of the new vehicle last Friday. Here are the facts:

1. It will be the RX 330 (horsepower not given)
    2. On sale date is April 1 as a 2004 model
    3. Many new colors not currently available on other Lexus vehicles will be offered (like Olive)
    4. No third seat available
    5. All-new options include:

Sports package
    Air suspension
    Radar cruise control
    17" or 18" wheels
    Moonroof or new oversized moonroof
    Power rear hatch
    Rain-sensing windshield wipers
    Lexus Link
    Rear DVD entertainment system

Of course, HID lights, nav, in-dash 6-disc CD changer and ML stereo will also be options.

Some other Lexus news given out at the meeting:
    1. The redesigned GS will come out in spring 2004 as a 2005 model
    2. The redesigned IS will come out fall 2004 as a 2005 model
  • dmauly2kdmauly2k Member Posts: 6
    XSFO- On the http://www.lexusclub.ch/News_RX330.htm , the fourth photo looks like a cross between the Acura MDX and Buick Rendezvous. The front looks awfully close to a Rendezvous, I suppose with the vertical grill bars. Just a thought. Its still sharp looking nonetheless.
    Has anyone been to the Lexus website lately. When you go on it, they have this new beginning with different people and they show a lexus car with them. The campaign is like "special moments" or something like that. But getting to the point, like on the third slide they show this steering wheel. I have never seen this steering wheel before and they show a part of the dash and this doesn't match any of the lexus cars even the new GX470. I'm thinking this could be the Rx 330 steering wheel, check it out and tell me if you think the same.
    I do believe it's the steering wheel of the LS. It matches from what I can see. The LS even has the black buttons above the ignition.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Yup, the 3rd slide is the interior of the LS430.
  • xsfoxsfo Member Posts: 17
    Can we get this thread crosslisted in the SUV board? It's about time. The announcement for it will be in January 2003.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Good suggestion. Let me ask and see if it's OK.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• edev31edev31 Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone have any information on the price of the RX330? Will it be priced the same (or similar) as the current RX300 model? Thanks in advance!
    Somebody at clublexus.com appears to have the 2004 RX 330 pre-production brochure.

My computer says the link is too long and won't let me post it. Just go to clublexus.com, click on forums, then click on RX 300. It's one of the first posts, and clearly shows the exterior and interior.
    The vehicle in those pictures looks VERY much like all the other photos of the new RX. I believe that to be it.
    That guy who posted the brochure was of the Toyota Harrier which is clearly going to be a little different from the lexus version due to a new post in clublexus by another guy who has recieved a japanese magazine detailing the new Rx 330 with actual pictures that have lexus logos. The interior is amazing and it seems the backseats are going to have a lot of room. People have been saying that the back doesn't look good but from this picture it does. It retains the round look of the original Rx but adds a sharper hatcha and it makes the back look so curvacious and vilumptious (I didn't spell that right) Good news is that it will come out in april.The front looks good but its not as exciting as I thought it might be, the back is clearly the design feature that will make the Rx a stand out vehicle and give it its unique style. I'm just so happy to see the Rx with a monotone paint scheme because I hate that two tone body cladding, its very old fashion. It looks so good, and the way that the bulbs are kind of weirdly arainged in the headlights resembles that back of the Rx tailights because its bulbs have a weird arrangment to them. I am just wondering why they are all clear, I wonder if they remain like that when you are not driving but when you turn on the engine the bulbs turn red. That would be kind of neat and by the way anyone who thinks the Fx45 looks good is crazy because I don't like the round curves mixed in with very sharp tailights and headlights. The Rx 330 looks so much better. I just love the way it looks. They are changing it from the soft road suv to Lexus's sport suv, but I'm sure it will retain its soft road ride but now it will be more edgy and probably have more sporty handling and suspension. Oh well thats it for now.
    lenscap,
    Thanks for the info on Club Lexus. Call me crazy, but the photos of the Toyota Harrier look more like other spy photos I've seen of the new RX330. The photos the guy posted that were from the brochure that says RX330 (with all of the Japanese text on it) look like the current RX300. But I'm no expert. The head lights of the Harrier photos look much more elongated,and the back end looks much different from the current RX300.They look like spy photos that I accessed a while ago from this discussion (a German Club Lexus, I think) although I know some were photochopped. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! Thanks!
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Link is http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65623 to the photos. Another one at http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65452

Seems like it is a 5-seater and no longer a 7-seater? Can someone confirm that?
    I went to my Lexus dealer yesterday to test drive the current RX300 since I was briefly considering not waiting until April for the RX330 if I could get a good deal. They wouldn't budge off sticker price, even for a 2002 model. The only incentive on the 2002 RX is 1.9% financing.The Edmund's TMV is about $3400 below MSRP. But the dealer didn't want to hear any of that! They even had 5 in stock! Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that after seeing the RX300 in person, and the brochure, I can definitely see the differences in the new RX330. Subtle differences, but definitely there.
    Lexus Corporate said the RX 330 would not be a 7-seater. Dealers were told this over a year ago. It was never planned that way. Anything re: 7 seats was simply people spreading rumors.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    thanks for clarifying that.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    First off: I like the current version better.

Second: It looks like a cross between a Toyota Highlander, and a Toyota Sienna. I have one question, did the interior change at all? I don't see it...
  • jkpateljkpatel Member Posts: 8
    I saw one today to my surprise at our local shopping mall. Olive green. Not sure about the exterior (esp the front)although the color was great. The interior however is really nice. Not sure if this is a preproduction model. I thought they were not coming out until 4/03 (having just bought another rx300). Coincidently was parked next to a RX300.
    jkpatel,
    Please give us the details! Was the green you saw the Woodland Pearl that's available on the current RX300? I love that color-would definitely be my first pick. What didn't you like about the front? Were the lights really elongated (like the ES300)? How did the interior look with the aluminum trim mixed with the wood? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, but I am debating on getting either the Nissan Murano in December,an RX300 right now (although my @#$%^ dealer wasn't even willing to take anything off sticker for even 2002 models-despite my print out of Edmund's TMV!!)or waiting until April for the RX330. I don't know if I'll be able to deal with my 2000 Expedition much longer! Thank you in advance, I appreciate it!!
  • scallypigscallypig Member Posts: 1
    HI 2004 LEXUS RX 330 FANS HAVE SEEN TWO PHOTOS OF THE NEW LEXUS RX 330 (IT LOOK GREAT) JUST GO TO THE WEBSITE DETAILED BELOW.
    THE DAILY TELEGRAPH IN SYDNEY AUSTRALIA PUBLISHED ON 26TH NOVEMBER 2002 A PHOTO OF THE NEW 2004 LEXUS RX 330 THAT WAS ON A PHOTO SHOOT OUTSIDE DKNY IN SYDNEY.NO NUMBER PLATES ON IT.
    THEY HAVE NOW PUT TWO PHOTOS ON THEIR NEWS PHOTO WEBSITE ONE PHOTO OF FRONT VIEW AND ONE OF REAR VIEW.(it looks a winner)
    YOU CAN SEE THESE ON www.newsphotos.com.au
    THEN JUST ENTER Lexus RX 330 you can enlarge and download these photos for FREE.
    BOTH PHOTOS ARE ALSO AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE IF YOU WISH TO.
    Has anyone seen any interior photos if so how can you access them?
    Hope these photos will be of interest to you all.
    COMMENTS PLEASE VIA THIS MESSAGE BOARD.
    HAPPY SURFING
    BEST REGARDS SCALLYPIG
  • jkpateljkpatel Member Posts: 8
    The green is different to the current model. It looks much better. Metallic. The front lights are ES300ish. The rear lights are also higher - exactly like the photos on recent websites quoted elsewhere on this post. I wonder if the rear view is worse on the new model. Privacy glass was black. Inside there is lighter wood and aluminum - very classy. The wheels are good too. Hope this helps.
  • rsmwalkerrsmwalker Member Posts: 5
    I just returned from a focus group interview -- I received a call at home and was cleared to participate in a 45-minute interview for a $100 cash fee. After arriving, I learned that this was for a campaign for launching the RX330. They showed me four commercial ideas where they detailed the following:

(1) Laser cruise control
    (2) Rear parking camera -- image displayed on LCD/NAV screen
    (3) Steer sensitive headlights
    (4) 11-speaker Mark Levinson stereo
    (5) Enhanced aerodynamics as RX330 will lower to ground after a certain speed (assume 50-60)
    (6) Rear DVD

Pictures and video confirmed that the photos on ClubLexus are legit. Very good looking vehicle.
    Does it have the white tail lights like in the photos?
  • esswebessweb Member Posts: 51
    When honda start making it TL in the NA, the MSRP price dropped. I would expect Toyota to offer more for the same price as 03 model in the coming RX330.
    Yes, the tail light assembly appeared clear -- they showed me pictures on a board, but I couldn't tell if they were LED?
    rsm: please settle it once and for all: 3rd row or no? 240hp or no?
  • alohajoealohajoe Member Posts: 1
    I gave this some thought....Since the '04 RX will be built in Canada (which is part of NAFTA) tariffs will be next to nil.
    The current RX, imported from Japan carries a 25% tariff, based on the value of the RX FOB (assessed as it lands on US docks).

So, based on an 03 RX invoice of about 33.5K, This means that for every RX sold in US, about $6,700 goes to tariffs (taxes)!!!

So, in principle, the ’04 RX could be priced $6,700 less that current RXs. This does not even account for lower labor cost in Canada and lower freight cost from Canada to US instead of from Japan to US.

Would Lexus share some of those savings with customers???? Only time will tell, but I would not hold my breath. Some of those savings would go into paying for additional options, investment on the new Canada plant, etc. The rest would go to profits.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I knew about the 25% tariff on "trucks" but I didn't know that all SUVs counted as trucks. What is the definition of a truck for tariff purposes? By the way: I just read that there is consideration in the Congress now to repeal this tax.
  • esswebessweb Member Posts: 51
    From the photos posted for the 04 RX, it doesn't look that much different than the current model to me. Certainly, the new 04 will have more space than the one, and possibly a 5 speed auto with more HP. But to buy the first year production, especially one that is assembled in Canada, I think it spells for lower initial quality. Toyota didn't do too good of a job launching the new Camry the first year, and I suspect they will have similar problem with the RX in Canada.

Should I order the old one, at its last year of production and getting "out dated" or should I risk the new one, and bear the consequence of rattle and flaws? I always wanted a Lexus, because it is "perfect", if it is not, why not just a Highlander that is made in Japan?
    There will be no third row seat. This was confirmed at the dealer meeting on the RX 330 several weeks ago.
    Unfortunately, no mention was made of a third-row seat, nor was there any mention of 240hp. If they were going after the MDX, I am certain that they would have focused on this feature as well, so diploid is right. They did focus on performance (indirectly) and aerodynamics (directly) and they stated they wanted to broaden their customer base, so I take this to mean that they want to get away from the soccer mom image and one way to do that would be to put some decent power under the hood. Also, they told me an April release date, not March as I had heard in the past.
    Lexus has no problem selling the current RX without a 3rd row, so I guess they figured they could continue doing the same. I personally would've liked an MDX/XC90-killer from Lexus.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    All they need to do is give the RX a decent AWD system, say from the Sequoia, and a much more aggressive VCS/Trac system, like that in the XC.

Duplicating the XC's climate control design wouldn't hurt either.

If they thought a seven passenger segment of the market was significant enough to go after then the 4Runner would have a third seat.

Personally I think it's time that Lexus build an AWD minivan now that they have realized that RWD bias is best.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Being a Toyota Highlander owner, I was eager to check-out the pics of the RX330, which is based on the Highlander (I bought my Highlander in 2001 -- at the time I was also considering the RX300 as I could have afforded it, but to my tastes it looked too much like something someone's wife should be driving, so I opted for the somewhat more masculine-looking Highlander).

The RX330 looks nice, but if I still had the choice I would prefer the Highlander for the exterior, though I prefer the RX330's interior.

One thing that struck me about the interior is that the general shapes are strongly reminiscent of the Highlander's. The center console area looks cool, and in general I give the RX330's interior, at least based on the pics, an "A" rating.

(BTW I was never satisfied with the Highlander's bland look and lack of character, both inside and out, so I snazzed it up by two-toning the exterior and replacing the light-colored interior carpet with a dark one. MUCH better!)

• zpaintballzpaintball Member Posts: 1
    page 24 of automobile magazine has a spy photo of an uncovered rx330 for a photo shoot, they also say it has 3rd row
    How interesting...
This discussion has been closed.