Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford SVT Focus - 5 door

revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
edited March 2014 in Ford
To start, here's some news from Edmunds.com: Ford Adds Five-Door SVT Focus. What do you think? Anyone else have more to add...?

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka
Host
Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

Comments

• seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Looks just like my red ZX5, but sportier, more power and even better handling. Oh, and bigger brakes and a 6speed manual..... Sigh, if only I had known this was really going to come out, I might have waited for it.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    I think 170 hp in the 5-door configuration falls a little shy of "SVT" material. Granted, the ZX5 is only about 100 lbs. heavier than the ZX3, but if that carries through, the SVT-5 will be pushing very close to the 3000 lb. mark (since the SVT-3 is 2750). The Mazda 6 5-door shouldn't be too far behind and that along with its 210+ hp V6 will make this look like the standard economy car that it is (again).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

well the SVT angle could be debated, but a V6 Mazda 6 would still cost more than the SVT Focus and not handle as well or out brake it. I like the Mazda 6, but it is for a different audience than the SVT Focus.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    If the SVT ZX5 is "under powered", then so is the SVT ZX3. Luckily, the car isn't really about mind-blowing power as are, in part, the other SVT cars. But that's OK by me. I think they make fine SVT cars, even without the massive torque of the others. This is a new direction for SVT, and they've done a pretty good job in tuning the car while also keeping the price down. IMO, SVT can keep going in this new direction all they want given what I see in this SVT Focus.

Actually, in a perfect world, I'd like to see some of the SVT Focus work its way into the run of the mill Focus, and see the SVT keep pushing further the Focus' performance potential. Can't have it all, though, so this IMO is a good effort.
  • loperslopers Member Posts: 8
    I wish I had known Ford was planning a 5-door version of this car as I would have postponed my recent purchase of a Vibe and got the SVT instead. The extra two doors would have sealed the deal for me.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the 170 hp engine redo may have hp, but it lacks torque. I'd like to see about 190hp and 180lb.ft in this SVT Focus.

I won't even crack 7 seconds. And SVT car should be under 7, and with the hp war escalating all the time this car should come closer to 6. The new SRT neon out next year will do a 5.9 0-60 and has 214hp.

That said, I do like the Focus a whole bunch......needs more hp though.
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    Needs more horsepower like I need a hole in my head. What are you trying to prove by going to 60 faster than the car next to you? If that's what matters, they make Mustangs. As long as the car is fun to take down a few twisty backroads, which I hear the SVT Focus really is, isn't that all that matters?

It's already nearly two seconds faster than a normal Focus. It'll get out of its own way. What more do you really need?

Mike
    is going to cost more money. The SVT Focus needs to be inexpensive. 200 hp RSX-S's and 227 hp WRXs carry a significant cost premium over the SVT Focus, as would a comparable powered (comparable fast) SVT.

Likewise, you could take the SVT Focus as is, and spend that cost premium on aftermarket go-fast parts.
    who wants aftermarket....ok fine we'll let the 215hp Neon eat its lunch.
    wow the Neon has more straight line power, but probably will handle much worse than the SVT Focus. So? It's like the choice between the Golf GTi and the SVT Focus, one has more straight line power, the other has much better handling. It's a choice. If you like more straight-line zip, buy the Neon. Also, I bet that there is going to be a healthy turbo lag with that neon motor, So roll on power (say 5-30mph, 30-60mph) tests might be much closer than you think.
    let the 215 hp Neon eat its lunch. I'm getting too old for drag racing every punk who comes up beside me at a stop light. If I want to drag, I'll find myself a used F-body. I'd rather be driving all alone up and down some twisty mountain roads - when not making the morning commute in it.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    "I'd rather be driving all alone up and down some twisty mountain roads"

Sounds like a really long bumper sticker line. LOL
    or something regurgitated from an auto mag.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Let's get back to discussing the Ford 5-door SVT Focus. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Atleast until the Mazda Protege5 finally becomes available (if ever!) with some of the engine and suspension mods proposed for the MazdaSpeed Protege.

Here's another interesting link

http://www.focaljet.com

More details, options, potential pricing, some SVT background info.

• deltawhip1deltawhip1 Member Posts: 8
    for all you power-hungry freaks who wants/needs more horsepower and torque from his or her spiffy SVT 3 or 5 door (myself included), JACKSON RACING is providing us with a delicious little supercharger this fall that will bump hp to 230 (flywheel), 200 (wheels). as y'all know, they already make one for the "run of the mill Focus", but now we have one for the SVT.

of course it will set you back $3,500, plus a few hundred for the limited-slip diff, and another few hundred for the headers and exhaust system (no performance chip though, as one of the jackson racing employees told me, because it will actually hurt the engine).

is it worth it? i personally think it is and will do next year, just make mine the 5 door in that snazzy blue paint job.

total cost: about $21,000
    from Edmunds.com's Future Vehicles section: 2003 Ford Focus Compact Hatchback. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

I'm still going to stay clear, though - for two reasons:

1) Ford has some recall issues, current and pending, to work out.

2) I suspect, in light of the SRT4 and to a lesser extent the MazdaSpeed Pro, Ford will now have to step up plans for a turbo SVT Focus - you know, the super hot Focus with which they've been teasing us for years.
    Since it's been quite slow here for a while, were going to close this discussion. Please continue this subject in our ongoing Ford Focus SVT discussion. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
This discussion has been closed.