Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Future Models

13»

Comments

• ford_biiford_bii Member Posts: 120
    Are you sure you actually SAW the 05 Dakota on the road?

If you did, the reason why there isn't much talk about it should be clear. Its UGLY.

A shame, really. I absolutely love my 2001 QC, and Dodge has given me a really good reason to keep it for a LONG time.
  • goboilersgoboilers Member Posts: 7
    I agree! I keep hoping that I will wake up one morning and like the looks of the 05 but it hasn't happend yet.

I too have a 2001 QC 4X4 with 99,000 miles on it. I have had litte trouble with it but I am ready to get something else. Unfortunately the 05 dakota will not be on my list.
  • tcsmpsitcsmpsi Member Posts: 31
    Yes. I have bought a new '05, Quad, 6cyl. Traded in an '01.

Lot of 'little' changes. So far, I have found them all for the better. I've had it for nearly a month.

Indeed, it is a bolder look. Mine is black ('01 was black). I would rather have had the manual (6 spd. on the '05) as was my '01, but they had not begun delivery of the manuals.

Not a whit wrong with the '01. Just one of those spur of the moment things.

This is the freshest off the assembly line vehicle I have ever bought.

I like it. Smoother, quieter, tighter.

Inside is perhaps a bit more 'plain', but also a bit more thought out. But then, I like plain.
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    I did read a little about them ('05) and there were suppose to be certain advantageous improvements, although I can't exactly what they were.

I dread buying a new truck ('00 QC 4x4), so I hope mine lasts for as long as I need it. I'm so screwy about making changes that I usually buy two of everything (wristwatches, radios, boots, TV remotes, backpacking headlamps, etc. - small stuff that wears out) so I don't have to go back out in the market and buy something different that I know I won't like. I takes me a lot of time and studying all of the angles before I spend real money. I also redesign stuff to make it the way I want it. For example, I just redesigned a store-bought shoulder holster (snub .38) and my mother re-sewed it up for me.

I don't know what the syndrome is but I got it.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    Now that you mention it, I haven't seen an '05 Dakota on the road. And the dealer lots don't have enough selection to put me in a buying mood,yet. I crawled all over every compact pickup at the Connecticut auto show last month and thought the '05 Dakota, especially the crew cab, was the pick of the litter. Yeah, it's a little "high style."
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Got a noticably cool reception, especially after leaving the popular Tacoma area, with 20" mags on it. I almost felt sorry for it. One older couple, that own a current one, seemed to like it.

Wonder if 'Yota can handle the extra business Dodge is tossing it?

DrFill
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I have seen a few on the road so far. Of course around here Dodge inventory seems to move into this zone a little more slowly than other parts of the country.

I noticed on Friday that my dealer finally has some semblance of a stock. I counted nine. There are no '04s left on his lot. One '05 I see almost every day. It's a white 4x2 with the V8. I noticed that Dodge is putting on a fairly bold "V8 Magnum" emblem on the tailgate.

Yeah, the front-end of the Dakota doesn't warm me or hasn't so far. Maybe after time. I'd still have a problem buying a truck without a full set of gauges. That, I think, bothers me even more.

An acquaintance bought one that I have yet to see, but he says it's the best handling and quietest truck he's ever been in.

Snowy, cold and windy here in Rochester, New York today.

Bests,

Dusty
    >>Wonder if 'Yota can handle the extra business Dodge is tossing it?<<

Interesting Q. Personally, I think the '05 Tacoma is also a tad "high style." The Tacoma teevee ads I'm seeing are clearly aimed at a younger market. But they also reinforce the "tough truck" brand. Lot of good choices out there in the compact PU market segment. A price competition has to break out in the Spring, I think, I hope.

>>Snowy, cold and windy here in Rochester, New York today.<<

You're not planning on sending your weather North East, I hope;-)
    >>>You're not planning on sending your weather North East, I hope;-) <<<

Saabgirl, well, we have to send it someplace! Bests, Dusty
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    After all this time of seeing them on the lots, I saw my first one on the road just a few days ago. IT's wierd... most newly redesigned vehicles, as soon as they're available to the public you'll usually start seeing them out on the road driven by those with the 'first on the block to have one' syndrome. Not this one. I have seen NONE on the road in Philadelphia or the surrounding area until this first one headed North on I-95 earlier this week, even though they've been available at least 2-3 months by now. Wish I could have gotten a better view as this was the first one I saw in motion. But I'm getting the impression there may start to be some hefty incentives on this one before too long. It's too bad, had I waited another year and had a tolerance for the goofy styling and the un-macho 4x4 stance I could probably have gotten a decent deal considering the seemingly slow initial sales.

04 Quad V8 Sport Plus

4x4, 4.7, 5speed auto.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I had considered going back to a Dakota. I had a 2000 Quad and replaced it with a 2003 Ram Quad.

I'm considering replacing the Ram because I want side curtain air bags and a few additional options that were not available when I bought the 2003. I am also getting disenchanted with the Hemis poor gas mileage so that I would consider a smaller motor.

I have priced out a 2005 Dakota Quad and a 2005 Ram Quad. I have found that a comparably equipped Dakota would cost me more to buy than the Ram. The Dakota rebates are nowhere as good as those offered on the Rams.

I got a mailing from Dodge that offered an additional $2000 off any new Dakota or Durango if I was a current Dakota/Durango owner but that is no longer the case.

Like others I haven't warmed to the new look either. I thought the 2000-4 Dakota to be a much more attractive package. I have yet to see anyone driving a new one here in Omaha, even the salesmen drive the Rams for demos. I suspect the $2000 offer for current owners may be extended to the general populace just to start moving them off the lots.

The only real thing the new Dakota has going for it is the option of heated cloth or leather seats. It was -3 degrees here the other morning and that sure would have been a nice option to have. Merry Christmas to all the Mopar community (ever those lurkers who have strayed from the pack) Rick
    >>I suspect the $2000 offer for current owners may be extended to the general populace just to start moving them off the lots.<<

Here in Connecticut, I've noticed that the advertised prices are getting attractive. This morning a local Dodge dealer has an ad in the paper offering to sell new '05s at invoice (I forget whether further rebates were included) and will make a $250 donation to a local charity. Problem is that the selection is limited. I'm betting that when Dodge, Toyota, Chev/GMC and Nissan get more new product on the lots that your suspicion will come true. Yes, heated seats are nice below zero. (That plus a bottle of peppermint schnaps under the seat.)
  • surfla1surfla1 Member Posts: 4
    I agree that the body styling of the 05 Dakota is fugly. Even worse is the Durango. It looks like a school bus or mini-van on steroids. However I also think the 05 Taco and the Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon are no better. Also not impressed with pictures of the upcoming Frontier. While on the subject what in the world is taking Ford so long with the Ranger? My own two cents is that Trucks and especially SUV's are so popular with consumers and so profitable for the manufacturers that not a lot of thought and R & D really needs to be devoted to styling. Just put a fender flare here and a bulge there and we're done! All Ford did with the new F-150 was shrink the body styling of the F-250, and not successfully in my opinion. And I hate to say this but the latest Ram looks like a cartoon character. But you know, how many ways can you style a square cab on top of a rectangular body and bed? I think Chevy took the right approach with the Silverado. Over time the conservative styling has aged well as has the earlier Ram and Dakota. All of the above is my opinion. I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Patrick
  • tcsmpsitcsmpsi Member Posts: 31
    I know that the front end on the '05 Dak puts some folks off. The protruding front bumper, most notably. However, it is function oriented more than cosmetic. It's design is to, most especially as it is directly frame related with two rather massive octagon members. The front bumper set up would take a great deal of shock and trauma before allowing damage to more intricate equipment.

The rear bumper is also much better equipped to withstand collision.

The entire frame and supension has been re-evaluated and upgraded. Even the window glass is thicker to help with road noise (which doesn't mean much to me as I am not comfortable not hearing the sounds outside and always have the window open a bit). Since I am a bit long-bodied, I am pleased with the extra headroom inside.

Though the body lines may be a bit 'bold' for some, the structural integrity it adds to the sheet metal is notable.

Now, I suppose many of the more 'add-on' changes might not appeal to some. I like the plain truck, no power windows and the minimal package with 2WD. Generally, I leave my rock climbing, etc to my personal physical enjoyment, and have taken 2WD vehicles many places where 4WDs would 'disagree'. :)

So far, relative mixed driving has produced +/-20 mpg, with the 4spd auto transmission and 6 cyl.

Got about 1500 miles on it presently, and becoming more acquainted with it, has brought me only to appreciate it more.
    The new RAM didn't turn me on and the new Dakota even less so. That being said I would not shun owning either one based on that single lack of merit alone. What bothers me more about the Dakota is the lack of a complete set of gauges.

I guess I'm just getting old but none of the new truck designs appeal much to my eye. Currently, the Tundra is probably the most pleasing to me, followed by the GMC version. The new F150, Titan, and the Chevy have made the RAM my third choice.

When it comes to exterior looks alone the '97-'04 Dakotas were the best in my opinion, the '01-'04s inside as well.

Bests,

Dusty
    I work with a fellow who really loves his '05 Dakota, says its the best handling and riding truck and super quiet. His gas mileage matches yours as well.

Good luck with yours.

Best regards,

Dusty
  • roper2roper2 Member Posts: 61
    I was at the dealer 3 week's ago . While I was waiting I looked at the 05 Dakota Didn't look very good then but got off work the other day and there was a white one parked out front.Sitting along with other cars it had a better persepctive.I looked at it again and liked it a lot better.
  • surfla1surfla1 Member Posts: 4
    I find it interesting how the color of a particular model can sometimes make the truck or car look better. I generally find the Titan styling too over the top. However I saw an all black one today that was a little more pleasing to my eye.

I also agree that age probably is a factor in the new "bolder styling". The new "bolder" looks are generally more appealing to younger people who are a prime target demographic buyer. My opinion has always been that the styling of any automobile that I buy should appeal to my taste in its base form, without all the plastic and chrome add ons. In that sense the last generation Dakota and the current Silverado are tops. When you fully trick out the Ram and the 4 X 4 F-150, they are obviously much more pleasing to the eye. But it's also obviously much harder on the pocket book.

I consider both form and function when buying a vehicle. The last generation Dakota was the best fit for my bill. I don't think the current model blended form and function nearly as well as the last. I agree that function is most important in a truck. But I do not agree that that to take a step forward in function requires a step backward in form.

Does anyone know whether any of the manufactures seek consumer opinion on new design changes or is it all left up to the in-house design team?
    >>Does anyone know whether any of the manufacturers seek consumer opinion on new design changes or is it all left up to the in-house design team?<<

All manufacturers do focus groups. Curb appeal is too big a deal to leave entirely to any one roomful of people. The target market will be the one most widely represented in the focus group.

But manufacturers are also keenly interested in branding. They want their products to be instantly recognizable as one of the family. So the Dakota had to look like the little brother of the Ram. To my eye, the Ram is kind of a cartoon truck, so it's not surprising that the Dakota inherits some of that.

For something similar see the Tacoma/Tundra, Frontier/Titan or Colorado/Canyon/Silverado.

I don't have a strong aversion to the appearance of the 2005 model, though I might slightly prefer the less "high style" look of its predecessor. Still haven't seen one on the road here in central Connecticut. Did see half a dozen Tacomas. (Or maybe the same three twice each.)
  • 99srt99srt Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any info as to wether or nor the old regular cab will ever come back into production. Or is it a thing of the past. The way it looks now, I'm just going to have my 5.2L V8 5spd rebuilt when the time comes and keep on truck'n.
  • jboehmjboehm Member Posts: 44
    Anybody got any info one changes for the 2006 models?
  • dakota0dakota0 Member Posts: 7
    Yeah they are still ugly, even the new R/T's are comming out with a 4.7 HOV8 so with the new branch of R/T's you get a head rest that has the stitching of R/T on it, and a hood with a fresh air intake on it,with the new 4.7 you get 260hp and 290fpt. I dont know bout you but i like my 4.7 with the 230hp and 333fpt. but that was before i put my racing stuff on it and its about 280-290hp and 380-390fpt. I cant wait till some young punk with the new R/T wants me to stomp his new 'kota in a race. I'm all for the street raceing and hurting ppls feelings afterwards. :P
    first off you are wrong about the 5.7 fitting in a dakota. it is smaller then a 5.9 l 360 ci that is in the dakota R\T. they have some guys designing a conversion kit for the older dakotas to fit a new 5.7 hemi. it will bolt straight to the transmission with no problems other then possibly a bell housing. the only problem you have to look for is the motor mounts, the hemi uses a different style of mount then the 5.9 R/T. i will prove that later when i get the ability to get pix of it but my dakota has a 5.7 in it, so ha fawkers. :shades:
    i would just like to go back and mention that the new estimates on the HO 4.7 is 260hp and 310ft...just if oyur wondering..which means that if you guys want parts for you 4.7 then its about to get lots of aftermarkets soon.
  • luglutzluglutz Member Posts: 3
    i think that dodge needs to come out with a diesel in the dakota. all they would have to do is put the mercedes diesel in the dakota. it is a very fuel efficient and powerful engine. if dodge would do this it would be the best thing since the cummins.
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    I'd love to see a diesel in the Dakota. Maybe 200 hp and 350 ft-lb torque. Just don't want to pay a $5000 premium for it.
    if dodge put the mercedes 3.2Liter, inline 6 diesel in the dakota it would be one of the smartest things they could do. this is a very economic diesel, and if they put it in the dakota it would probably get anywhere from 30 to 33mpg.
  • h_stuarth_stuart Member Posts: 1
    The Mercedes Sprinter has a 5 cylinder diesel engine that gets 25 mpg in that huge van. If they would put that into the Dakota, sales would far outstrip Toyota Tacoma almost immediately with high mileage and 500,000 mile quality.
    They are missing a huge opportunity if they don't do it now.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    RAMPAGE! ;)

DrFill
  • kurts3kurts3 Member Posts: 1
    I&#146;m not bashing also but being I have a 06 on order with the 4.7HO loaded to the gills, I believe I&#146;m certainly qualify to be here. First, the buying public doesn&#146;t play the so-called class game, as do the marketing groups. There is NO full size Asian pickup truck sold in the US. All because the marketing people say so is just a way of setting up the product for whatever works best for sales. The Tundra and Titian are still mid size and if I where in the market for a real full size pick up than at this time it&#146;s still the US big three. The Dakota is in fact mid size with trucks like Tacoma and Frontier creeping up the scale from years of mini to mid. The Tundra and Titian are doing the same. Creeping from mid to full, but not there yet. This leaves Dakota in a unique situation. My shopping did not include Tacoma or Frontier because they are just still a bit too small. My choices where Tundra and Dakota since I&#146;m not a Titian fan. For apples to apples, the Tundra wins except the huge difference in price. A difference of almost 4k and the Dakota had even more options in the race for the sale. I too am very disappointed with the power ratings from Dodge. The 210hp V6 needs to go up to 230hp. The 230hp 4.7 needs to be 260 to 270 standard and drop the $1700.00 HO option. The optional V8 should be a 330 hp 5.7 Hemi. Ten horse less for good measure. Factory dual exhaust should be an option, as has the Tundra. Side marker lighted door mirrors option 6X9 should be standard. When offering a RT hood scoop make it&#146;s a total hood design with a functional air intake. At present the option scoop is a fake add on that&#146;s bolted to a standard hood unlike the Rams. Four-wheel disk brakes a must option, hell it&#146;s 2006 not 1996. The Mercedes diesel would be a cool option for far better mileage and reliability. In addition, why no V8 diesel for the RAM as Ford Power Stroke makes the SD rig the choice of the trades. Dodge needs to truly reevaluate their truck line. The looks are there but a lot of work needs to go into what the buying public really wants in a truck. How about a 7-foot bed on a club cab????

Kurts3
  • gggggggg Member Posts: 1
    Ha, Has anyone seen the new looks of the Dakota with the Sport Appearance Group? The bumper and grille are mono-chromatic ,all the same as the body color. They actually look, gasp...good! I've only seen pics on the Dodge site. Has anyone bought or ordered one? I'm trying to replace a beloved 97.. But the first look at the new style made me sick, now with the same color grille and bumpers they don't look bad. good day, cuda2 :P
  • thepopethepope Member Posts: 1
    I dont think its the fact that their diesel is a 6 instead of an 8- it puts up respectable torque and HP- but its only got a 4 speed transmission- thats the deal killer in my opinion.
  • sbottomleysbottomley Member Posts: 3
    i was going to get one of this years Dakotas for i liked the look of it. I tryed to get in it and could not! I am 6'3" 230lbs inseam 33". I could not get my leg under that steering colem! If i did i would have the wheel in my chest with no lag or arm room. The sells man said there is more room in the x-cab. will i do not want one of them so what good does it do me. Stop making this junk for Japan men/ladys with short legs!
    No leg room = no sells! off 40%, so will someone tell them, it is not just gas prices.
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Interesting post...but leaves me a bit confused.

I'm virtually the same size as you and have no trouble whatsoever getting in and out of my '06 Quad Cab. Likwise I have friends even larger that seem to find the new ones a good fit. With tilt wheel and the generous amount of travel in the seat adjustment there should be plenty of room for all but the largest of people and they would even be cramped in a full-size truck.

The sells man said there is more room in the x-cab. will i do not want one of them so what good does it do me.

I am also a bit confused about the term x-cab....Dakota no longer builds the standard cab, only the Club and Quad cabs so just what sort of cab design are you referring to?

Stop making this junk for Japan men/ladys with short legs!

Why do you think the Dakota is made for the Japanese comsumer? Dodge is one of the oldest American brands, albeit they are now owned by Diamler-Benz, but they are still made in USA and primarily for sale in America.

Finally, would you mind quoting your source for the alleged 40% drop in sales?
  • sbottomleysbottomley Member Posts: 3
    that 40% drop in Dakoda sells is from dodge! that is why they are closing plants. read! I have been reading all the trade papers on line and they all at one time or other have said this in the past three weeks or so. do you really think they are selling more than last year and they just up and close the plant to loose sales!
    The one i tryed may have been the two door with no back seats just the old cheap model and yes i know they stopped making this model but they did when the new ones 1st came out last fall.
    Even with the tilt up my leg,knee/thy, did not go under it without a lot of work! That is why the sells man told me to try the others ( club/Quad cabs Xcab is a old term sorry for that now they use club/Quad) for they had more room for legs in them. But i wanted just a two door with no back seating and now they do not make it so i will not be buying.
    As for Japan who do you think they have working for them making a lot of these cars/trucks? People, from Japan! Do not take me for bad but they do have USA people also working on them just look at the new challanger. By the way, Dodge is not USA anymore! look at were some of the new cars ( neon replacement) are coming from, mmmmm Fiat(platform), thats really USA, Yes they have a USA motor not made in the USA but if you want to think its still a USA company go right on. Viper motor came from can you say it, Not the USA, benz is the last part and i think there was two other countrys also involved with planning this motor.
    I know you will find something i say not right to you but so what, the truth hurts some times.
    Dakota sales ARE NOT down forty percent. The last figure I saw indicated around seven percent (mid-August).

Nor am I aware of any plant closings. The Trenton plant will close in 2014, but that was planned. Besides, they're building a new plant right next to it in the next two to three years. In addition, another new plant is scheduled to be built in Dundee, MI. The start date is around two years out. The last Chrysler plant closing that I can remember was the old Dodge Main (85 years old) and that, too, had been planned.

Lastly, both the old 488 and newer 505 cubic inch Viper V-10 motors are based on the older "LA" block series, albeit in aluminum form (The new Viper motor is cast titanium alloy!). The design and manufacturing of this block has always been in Michigan. An outside engine tuner is being considered for the next SRT motored version.

Dusty
This discussion has been closed.