Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner - 2003

Comments

• mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Maybe they're not offering the trans cooler option on the V8 Runner. I don't know. It makes me wonder too.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    The GX470 can only tow 5000 lbs too! ONLY the Land Cruiser can tow 6500 lbs. In fact, the LX470 can now only tow 5000 lbs...why? Because it now has the "integrated" tow hitch, instead of an attached hitch.
  • fishingguyfishingguy Member Posts: 34
    Looks like your right on the 5k towing for the GX470. Confirmed it on the Lexus website. What is the diff b/t "integrated" vs "attached". I assume you mean that the Land Cruiser has integrated while the GX470 and 4runner have attached.
    I think only the LX is integrated...maybe GX too (i have not seen one close up). Integrated is one that is part of the rear bumper...you can see this on many new SUVs. Attached is when the hitch is below the bumper, like aftermarket attachment.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Didn't you guys read my post #92? Well, here it is again:

Strange about the hitch issue...

Here's a quote from Truck Trend about it:

"The full-length boxed section frame rails are connected with nine fully welded crossmembers, while a Class III tow-hitch receiver is built into the rear-frame crossmember."

So, where is that quote from Toyota University? I'm curious to get to the bottom of this.

You would think that would be stronger than an attached hitch. I don't get it at all. The tow rating on the 4Runner and GX should be at least 6000 lbs with that torque, body on frame, and live rear axle.
    Looks like the 4Runner is integrated too.
    Another quandary.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Don't be fooled by the 5000 pound rating. Yes, it's true—if your trailer has trailer brakes! If not, it can only tow 1000 pounds!

It says so right in the owner's manual. I drove a new '03 SR5 today, and checked the owners manual.

Bob
    If what you are saying is true about the 1000 lb limit without trailer brakes, that would be one of the biggest car debacles I have ever heard of. I simply cannot believe that Toyota would do that.
  • 4runnerpilot4runnerpilot Member Posts: 18
    my dealer only had 1 SR5 titanium silver /1 SPORT stratosphere mica. First opinion off the bat...I would get nothing lower than a limited. The grey cladding made the upper portion of the car look too squished. It seemed pretty short in height. Looks better in the pictures, however.
    The interior I liked very well, as it was nice and cozy, cool compartments, nice trim, but did not like the amber-lit instrumentation.
    The drive (my favorite aspect of the 4runner) was silky smooth. The V8 had a very quiet purr to it...NICE. The flawless ride was nice and very enjoyable and after punching the gas at the stoplight it roared (quietly) and dusted my neighbooring cars from a standstill. (my toyota guy was laughing) AWESOME. a lot of power uphill as well. A little soft-swaying however on suspension when we took a minor windy road, at about 35mph. still nice though.
    Then came the sh*tty part. A sales manager came to me and said they would be selling these a $3000 over MSRP until the end of the year. UGH....sorry, NEXT DEALER!

SR5 4WD v8-running boards/moonroof $33,500
    SPORT 4WD v8-running boards/moonroof/spoiler $35,800
    oh yeah add $1295 for the SR5, and $3000 for the Sport...."They call it Market Adjustment Price" YUCK.
    I will definitely wait for this spring. V8 limited---Pacific Blue Pearl with 20"+ rims.
  • tedplanotedplano Member Posts: 31
    It cautions the same thing in my landcruiser manual regarding the 1000lb trailer limit. I bet it has it in the Sequoia manual as well.
    is very common, for most mid-size SUVs and pickups. Even tow monsters like the full-size Chevy Tahoe/Suburban/Silverado have a 2000 pound unbraked trailer restriction. It's spelled out very clearly in their sales brochures.

Check the owner's manual of any vehicle you wish to buy, if you're not sure. I bet there will be some statement regarding trailer brakes restricting what it can tow.

I've also checked the Sequoia and Tacoma Double Cab, same thing there.

What they're saying, even thought the vehicle can tow much more, the brakes aren't designed to stop those extra (5000 lb.) loads.

Bob
  • coho10coho10 Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove an 03 4Runner limited and there's no auto up/down on the passenger side window or rear windows, but there is on the tailgate window....doesn't make any sense to me at all. Any ideas on why they did this?
    The dealer only had one SR5 on the lot. First off, I thought the body side molding was BUTT UGLY. Hopefully the colored trim looks better on the Limited. The best part of the car was definitely the V8. It rocks and blows the 6 cyl in the GM 3 sisters away, truly awesome. The interior was mixed imo. I thought that the compartments were sturdier than the Sequoia. The dash was was attractive, as attractive as the GMC Envoy and actually very similar. The backseat space was a bit tight for me (6'1"). The storage area was bigger than the 02 but seemed no bigger than comparable midsize SUV's. The shelf in the storage area was cool. The price is clearly higher than comparable American SUVs -- my guess is about 7 to 10% before the GM and Ford rebates which will take the delta to 15+%. All in all, it is the engine and Toyota quality that will sell this vehicle except for you 4runner diehards. I am not an offroader. My thinking is that I will wait until after the holidays and will still probably consider alternatives (Explorer w V8 is my current thought). I imagine I will end up with a 4runner but I am not so sure this vehicle is going to sell like hot cakes given price of the American SUVs and competition for mommy wagons (Highlander and MDX). Any premium or par to MSRP probably wears off by the new year. Just my thoughts.
    I finally had a chance to test drive one, but the dealer didn't have any 4WD yet.

The Limited clearly looks much better than the Sport & SR5. The cladding looks more integrated and doesn't have those goofy notches in them.

The leather seats seemed more comfy than the cloth seats. The cloth seats in the rear seemed a little stiffer.

The silver plastic on interior is overdone but it's the gray granite in the Limited that is disturbing. I'm sure someone will come out with a nice wood kit for it.

The ride was very nice and handled well. The cabin is very quiet and the build is tight.

The V8 is a monster and definitely screams. Very quiet.

Tranny is smooth as butter.

The 4 wheel disc brakes are just what it needed. Excellent stopping power.

Rear seat console is though out very well. The extra tray that folds out under the cup holder is great for drips and to hold extra stuff.

The cup holders in the front shift to different sizes. There is a movable bracket that slides in and out. Nice touch.

The increased interior room is highly noticed. Not as cramped feeling as the last generation.

Hood release is very handy.

The double decker cargo shelf will be very useful. Very nice.

The Galactic Gray color is very nice. It is more of a bluish-gray color, rather than just plain gray. Looks great.

The temperature rotary toggles are a little strange at first. They are not just buttons. When you press on one, the whole thing slides over to that corner. The plastic here felt cheap.

Telescoping & tilt steering wheel was also nice. Good combination.

In the brochure it states the Limited comes standard with wheel mounted audio & cruise controls. It only had audio. The cruise control was a stalk on the right side. What didn't make sense is that there were blank plastic pieces on the right side of the wheel for where it should have been.

Theat gray plastic cladding is still goofy, sorry. Knock on the rear bumper, go ahead. Not really the sound you want to hear.

The black roof rack looks better. The silver looks cheaper.

Oh, did I mention that V8 really is nice.

Very nice over all. Waiting to drive that new V6, then I'll make up my mind.
  • aimalahaimalah Member Posts: 1
    I drove the 2003 4-runner yesterday and it was so beautiful. Every expectation of the hype was met. It felt like I was driving a BMW!
    << The cruise control was a stalk on the right side. What didn't make sense is that there were blank plastic pieces on the right side of the wheel for where it should have been. >>

I've had steering wheel cruise control buttons on several vehicles (Hondas, Ford Explorer), and I also have them on the stalk (like the 4Runner) our Subaru Forester.

I prefer the stalk because:

&#149; It's more intuitive. Push the stalk up to increase speed or resume, push down on the stalk to lower speed or set.

&#149; Don't have to "hunt" for the right button to push. The stalk is easy to find.

Bob
  • lukeglukeg Member Posts: 32
    I was very dissoppointed when I saw the new SR5 and Sport package. Overall a very nice SUV but what is going on with all this plastic? Looks like XTerra. I am really considering getting Pathfinder or minivan (Honda Pilot). Any thoughts?
  • paul147paul147 Member Posts: 5
    I was ready to buy and when it came time for the test drive my head was only 1/2" from the headliner. The model I drove has a sun roof. Does anyone know if there is more head room without the sunroof? Ps: My proportions are normal for 6'1".
  • truckasaurustruckasaurus Member Posts: 44
    I drove one tonight. The limited.
    Its very nice and much smoother and less prone to a bouncy and wandering drive than the old one.
    The interior is very nice and the extra width much needed. The seats provided decent support and the driving position fit me well. I'm 6'1 and my head did not touch the roof , there was about 4" clearance (unlike a previous report) but this model did not have a sunroof.
    The V8 Engine is very smooth and pick up is great for quite a large vehicle.
    The glove box has a neat shelf for the manual and still has space for your other regular glovebox junk. I did not see a CD rack in the center box. Thats a shame.
    The three center console buttons that control a/c are a bit odd, they look like faucet knobs, and the silvery plastic on the console and dash will probably date. I'd rather this was black.
    I think the exterior looks good on the limited - I'm not so sure about the SR5 and sport - the cladding does look a bit cheesey, especially the funky pattern around the wheel arch. I'm also not keen on the hood scoop on the sport, it looks like a big nostril.
    I'd buy one - it'd have to be the limited.
    rsholland : I have wheel-mounted cruise controls on an older Toyota 4WD and it's the easiest and most convenient thing to operate. It sits right in front instead of behind the wheel. I guess it's what you get use to.

paul147 : I'm 6'1" and fit just fine with the sunroof. Did the seat move vertically at all? I didn't think to look at the time.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    where did you drive the limited at ? As far as I know all limited were shipped with the moonroof and the six disc in dash player.

mackabee
  • truckasaurustruckasaurus Member Posts: 44
    Makabee,
    I drove it at Champion Toyota South I35 Austin TX
    TX Toyota Distribution is different from the rest of the states and its too hot here most of the year to open a sunroof so Distribution allways get sunroof-less models too. I would actually prefer a sunroof myself, for the couple of months you can use it.
  • aufan1aufan1 Member Posts: 21
    I sat in the SR5 without a sunroof and fit fine. I am 6'6" with a long torso. The seat height adjusts, make sure the seat is all the way down. I had about 2-3 inches to spare above my head. Try again and goodluck.
    Here is an actual off-roading test for the new 4Runner:

http://www.pnw4runners.net/jon_03_4Runner_offroad_test/jon.htm

Just scroll down to the PICS and MOVIES!

Thats good news. For the life of me I can't figure out why I was hitting the headliner. I mentioned to the "salesman"*&^%$#@! that the sale is contingent on fitting into the vehicle. We checked to make sure everything was down and towards the back. It was. The only thing I can think of is that the optional trailer hitch that was in a box behind the seat might of slipped under the seat, causing the seat not to go down all the way. I'm off line and calling the dealer as we speak. Paul
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    Test drove a V8 SR5 last Friday.

Lights
    ------
    For some reason you cannot get the brighter new xenon headlights. For
    that you need to wait and pay for the Lexus GX470. I don't know what
    they were thinking here. I like to keep vehicles a long time and like
    being able to get all the new technology when I do buy.

Acceleration
    ------------
    I asked about the 0-60 compared to a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the sales
    guy quickly snapped: "7.1 sec. for the V8 4Runner and 8.1 sec. for the
    JGC".

On the test drive I punched it many times and it certainly was not
    clear to me that it was as fast as my JGC. I couldn't tell whether it
    was slower or just so much smoother that it was hard to tell. The
    transmission shifted velvety smooth also.

Definitely alot faster than previous 4Runners and all the V6 SUVs I
    have driven.

Size
    ----
    I like the size. The added width made it handle pretty well although
    the unit I drove did not have the XREAS suspension that is supposed
    to be even better.

Styling
    -------
    Seemed fine to me. The plastic fairings didn't bother me like they seem
    to with other folks here.

Instrument Cluster
    ------------------
    At the time of day I drove it (4:15PM) the instruments seemed a little
    hard to see since they were so inset into the instrument panel. Not
    a big deal really though.

Bottom Line
    -----------
    I was hoping to be blown away by the acceleration and was not. Despite
    this, I might very well get one anyway for the higher reliability. I
    may wait to see how the new V6 is. Of course the other benefits of
    waiting longer include slightly lower price and letting them find/fix
    any little early problems.
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    Drove the Limited on Saturday...very nice ride!
    I thought you would have some "control" over the rear air suspension, but I guess it is totally automatic or couldn't find how to play with it.
    Also, nice to have a moonroof of good size...worth
    the $800.

What is the button to the left of the steering column...that has a picture of the 4 wheels with an X in the middle...is that to force rwd/2wd?

Also, the question (stumped the salesman and GM)...take that silver plastic trim piece on the rear of the center console and lift it up....it locks into place forming a square with nothing in the middle...it isn't a cup-holder, cause those are in the rear center armrest....stumped.

Anyone know what the manual specifies for gas?
    Is 87 okay or does the v8 want premium?

After looking at for a while...limited is the way to go. It looks somewhat "squatty" with the square wheel arches...but color keyed is the way to minimize this, and is the way to go. GM was also skeptical of v6 Limiteds...anyone have any scoop?
  • aufan1aufan1 Member Posts: 21
    pwitz--I asked the same question to the salesman and stumped him too. My guess is that McDonald's has paid Toyota off to include fastfood amenities in the 4runner and this bar is a holder for a bag (such as those you would get at McDonalds). ie: six cup holders in the backseat alone, a "trash bag" holder, the flat panel that pulls out of the center armrest, which could hold frenchfries laid out nicely. I guess Toyota is making the vehicle adaptable to a moving dinner table. This is just my guess at what that silly pull out thing is.
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    The fast food bag/trash bag idea has some merit!
    I have to think it is something more than decorative.
  • kavinkkavink Member Posts: 6
    After driving this so called sport utility I will be buying the Infiniti G35. 260HP and very quite and smooth. The 4Runner is so carlike why not get the real thing. If you want a SUV better pay up for the LC. The plastic cladding is cheap -- I would wait for an 04 if you want a decent looking SR5
    It is a trash bag holder.
  • tetra7tetra7 Member Posts: 3
    Don't forget to ask your salesfolks about TRDs supercharger for the V8. I have found out the option should be available in a few months time and specs are about equivalent to the 02 models.

A supercharged V8 Limited should give the X5 and Cayenne a run for its money.
  • hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    I'm a little more wordy than mrwhipple, but a sales person pulled it out and introduced it to me as a trash bag holder, as mrwhipple noted. For a plastic bag, like from a grocery store.

Also, the sales person is 6'1" and he had no problems sitting in or getting into the 4Runner (which had a moon roof); he had room to spare, both in the front and back seats.

I was impressed with the features, but I did not drive it.
    Ron
    Maybe you need a sports car. Damn that's a lot of HP.
    Nicely explained.
    Toyota web site now states "late" November for new V6 availability.
    http://www.gocrvclub.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=6498#post6498

Just scroll down until you see post with lots of links to pics and videos.

• bobf8bobf8 Member Posts: 5
    Had an opportunity to test drive this over the weekend. Was never impressed with the old 4runner. This one however, IS impressive. Drove the SR5 Sport. There is no comparison with the old! I was amazed at how much larger this is then the old one. And the new V8, whoa! Now it has real guts! Which brings me to my question for folks. I'm very interested in this new version of the 4Runner. I have one concern that has been on tossed around on this message board. That is the towing package. The sales person I spoke to admitted it was a pretty hokey package that Toyota had put on. And he couldn't answer my question about how much can it really tow? Toyota says 5k lbs., there was a post here, indicating that according to user manual it's only 1K lbs. AND, what is the maximum tonge weight? AND, can the brakes handle stopping 5K, or are they upgraded with the "Towing" package.
    Anyone with any answers, I'd really appreciate hearing from!
    Thanks.
    The new (and old) 4Runner can tow 5000 lbs (trailer with brakes). It can tow only 1000 lbs with no-brakes trailer. Tongue weight is 500 lbs. This is the same as the 3rd gen 4Runner...the one that you hate so much! :)
    Had an opportunity to test drive this over the weekend. Was never impressed with the old 4runner. This one however, IS impressive. Drove the SR5 Sport. There is no comparison with the old! I was amazed at how much larger this is then the old one. And the new V8, whoa! Now it has real guts! Which brings me to my question for folks. I'm very interested in this new version of the 4Runner. I have one concern that has been on tossed around on this message board. That is the towing package. The sales person I spoke to admitted it was a pretty hokey package that Toyota had put on. And he couldn't answer my question about how much can it really tow? Toyota says 5k lbs., there was a post here, indicating that according to user manual it's only 1K lbs. AND, what is the maximum tonge weight? AND, can the brakes handle stopping 5K, or are they upgraded with the "Towing" package.
    Anyone with any answers, I'd really appreciate hearing from!
    Thanks.
    Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if this limitation is due to just the hitch, or is it an issue with brakes/transmission/cooler/engine combination? If it's just the hitch, could one put a different hitch on it, and get true 5K towing capacity?
    I was very impressed with this, and that V8 certainly seems to me, like an added 5K would not be an issue for it.
    Thanks again.
    A few of you mentioned that you drove a 4-runner 4x4 without the sunroof. I'd like to buy one immediately only if I could locate one. Where can I find one? I'd perfer to locate one in the the pacific NW. Thanks,Paul
    But, an integrated hitch may not pull so much. An example is the Lexus LX470 and Toyota Land Cruiser. 2003 LX470 has an integrated hitch...it can tow only 5000 lbs. 2002 LX470 has an add-on hitch (bolted to frame) can tow 6500 lbs. 2003 Toyota LC (no integrated hitch) can tow 6500 lbs. I am ONLY SPECULATING...so don't take this to be the truth.

However, the above example is of the TLC, not 4Runner. The 4Runner's frame is probably smaller. In addition, wheelbase on 4Runner is significantly smaller. This all must be taken into consideration when towing stuff.

In my opinion, you will not be able to get around the 5000 lbs limit. Get a TLC if you need more.
    Also, the '03 4Runner hitch is I believe(?) not meant for weight distribution hitches, but only for weight bearing hitches.

As to the trailer brake issue, Toyota is not alone in their 1000 pound restriction. Most vehicles have a similar restriction. The vehicle can certainly "tow" 5000 pounds, however, the vehicle brakes can't stop an "extra" 5000 pounds, hence the need for trailer brakes.

Bob
    If anyone knows the answers to these please help:

- When will leather be offered with the SR5; it appears to be "greyed out" option on Toyota's website when I go to build it myself.

- Does Toyota use trans and/ or oil coolers on any of there trucks or SUVs? The 4runner does not have it as a towing option or standard equip. It does not look like the Sequoia has it either. If they do not offer this why?

- What does this mean from the towing capacity footnote for the 4 runner?
    "The factory-installed receiver hitch on the 4Runner should only be used with weight-carrying hitch hardware, not weight-distributing hitch hardware. "
  • rvirgrvirg Member Posts: 2
    I have a tacoma v6 -supposed to be 5k towing capacity and just recently bought a 2100lb boat/trailer no brakes. Its common to have up to 2500 lbs w no brakes - so my question is this - ive moved it around for hundreds of miles - and although the v6 is underpowered for this - the V8 4Runner does seem to have plenty of punch to move this water toy. So previous comments to 1000 lbs?? I dont get it - even a 4cyl Tacoma cam prob move 1000.
    I am getting the 4runner only for this reason - because Toyota cant get their stuff together and make a V8 full size truck that isnt a joke --- and for the first time with the 4runner - it seems to be a valid contender. Its either that or get a ford or chevy ---- i was almost there - until i drove the V8 4Runner this wknd.
    But where can we all find towing numbers ?? and who said 1000lbs originally ?? that has to be wrong. Im sure if i hook up my 2200lbs in the back of that new 4Runner I may forget I have anything behind me.

Curious about Towing.
    SR5 leather.

The dealer should be able to have leather put in for you. I had a dealer offer it to me for somewhere between $1000 & $1500 with many color and grade choices. I didn't press the price any farther because I wasn't buying just yet.

They did mention they could not put in leather with the side air bag option because of some legality issues with the bags being in the seats themselves.
    Check your owners manual. I bet, under towing trailers, there's a statement regarding trailer brake restrictions. As I recall, it's "caution-type blurb" with a yellow background.

Bob
  • albchboyalbchboy Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a new 4-Runner 4WD (I have a 99 Limited 4WD) after the first of the year and can't decide between the V6 and the V8. I average about 25,000 miles per year, mostly (60%) highway at high speed and I seldom trailer anything. I do go off road (hunting and fishing) but seldom through really rough stuff. I live in LA (Lower Alabama :-)) so the AC gets used a lot. What do y'all recommend? Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.