Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner - 2003

Comments

• topgun10topgun10 Member Posts: 11
    I've read up on the vehicles you mentioned, and I always find it interesting to get other peoples' perspectives. Currently, I'm driving an 01' Highlander which I enjoy, but always looking to the future. The X5 certainly is nice and I've driven both the 3.0 and the 4.4 - tons of fun. I also drove the Limited Runner 03', and found it to be quite fun as well. Now, the heavy off roader probably don't consider the "fun factor", but for me its important. I think overall, you are correct, the new Runner is a better value than the X5, and more practical as well.
  • deloiddeloid Member Posts: 18
    Here in Idaho the (limited) inventory is low so I understand why no one will sell below MSRP. Where are you lucky souls getting these deals $2000-2500 below msrp ???
    I'm a tough consumer but you can't bargain with a dealer that has only one or two cars on the lot (I wouldn't budge either if I were a dealer).

deloid
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    deloid, I bought my '03 Limited in Kansas City. It wasn't $2,000 off MSRP, but it was approaching it--maybe $1700 or $1800, depending on what my trade was really worth. At first they said they would only come down "about" $500. I really wanted $2,000 off, but didn't think I could get it. Another Kansas City dealer and one in Wichita seemed willing to go a little lower, but neither could come up with a Runner with the equipment I wanted, and I didn't discuss my trade-in with them, so their verbal offers weren't exactly firm. A third Kansas City dealer, where I bought my Sienna, didn't want to deal at all on a Limited. I also had an Internet offer in Pueblo (no trade) for about $1600 off. I talked by email, phone or in person to a number of other dealers in MO, KS, OK and CO who apparently would not come off MSRP much, so I did not deal with them. I got the impression from some that discounts on SR5 and Sport models might be easier to come by.

Anyway, I ended up pretty happy with my deal, but others apparently have done better. At least none of the dealers I talked to wanted a premium! Good luck with your search. You'd think prices will drop some as more vehicles come in.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    CarMax/Toyota dealer here in Laurel MD. They're selling well below MSRP. Around $2K IIRC? They had an excellent selection too. There's also Fitzgerald's Toyota in Gathersburg, MD selling under MSRP too.

Bob
    I had read somewhere that an 18" wheel package was available on the 03' 4Runner, but I did not see any info on the Toyota website related to this. Does anyone know anything?
  • passthegravypassthegravy Member Posts: 17
    SR5 has 16" wheels. Sport and Limited get 17". Haven't seen any option for 18" wheels.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There was a post from someone earlier about a local dealership that had 18" wheels avail. This was a DEALER option. Not something that is available from Toyota. They may be from the same manufacturers as the factory wheels, but are still aftermarket wheels as 18" wheels are not available from Toyota.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    is a Southeast Toyota port installed option. I have sold a couple with this upgrade. It looks really good. The code is WL40 and you can see a picture of it on the vehicle online in the inventory at www.tuscaloosatoyota.com or any other SET dealer.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the 18" rims from the '03 Land Cruiser would look really good on there.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    The HAC hill assist control is only meant to hold the vehicle from the time you release the brake pedal and go to the gas pedal.
    Mack
    Does the 3003 show the outside temperature somewhere?? I know it can come with the mirror/compass but it'll drive me nuts not to know the outdoor temps as well.

deloid
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Yes, it's in the central console in the dash.
  • jbwhjbwh Member Posts: 8
    In contrast to kbm's comments about the headroom (not trying to start a fight, just different experience); I have found the headroom in my new 2003 Sport Edition to be much better than either the X5 or MDX. I am 6'-6" tall, and fitting into a vehicle is my first test before i'll even bother to take it for a test drive. Most vehicles don't pass this test for me, and the MDX and X5 both had my head bent over just to sit in them with the seat adjusted for max available height. In the 'runner my hair rubs the roof (like all other vehicles except for the full-size Sequoia/Suburban style) but I can sit upright. The only way I could fit in the MDX with my neck straight was with the seat tilted so far back I couldn't reach the wheel. Having the SR5 Sport instead of the Limited does give me an additional ~1" of headroom because the manual seat adjusts lower than the power seat, but even the limited I drove had more headroom than the other two.
    My two cents.
  • chidofuchidofu Member Posts: 21
    i had exactly the same experience. not really worth using in my opinion. i actually try to get on the accelerator as quickly as possible going uphill to avoid having that kick in. it makes an alarming noise and even seems to interfere with the acceleration if it is activated.
    I'll send them feedback. I actually think their design is great. I was a previous Jeep GC owner and as I read these messages I wonder if most of the dislikes come from previous 4 runner owners who miss the familiar look? That would be natural and expected. Hey! .....Who moved my cheese?

deloid
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    OK, I tried it on my SR5 this weekend. I went up a steep hill to check out some cabins, I stopped the truck by using the brake then moved my foot from the brake pedal, the truck started to roll backward, I then heard a loud noise and the truck stopped. The problem was I forgot to time how long it would hold the truck in position, but it seems to work.

SV
  • jbwhjbwh Member Posts: 8
    I too will send my positive feedback to Toyota. When I heard that there would be a fourth generation of the 4Runner with a V8, I was really hoping they would break the mold and change everything. They did and I bought one. If it had just been another tweak of the second generation (like the third gen was) I would have been disappointed and kept my 1990. (Most non-Toyota people can't tell the difference between a second and third generation 4Runner without it being pointed out to them).

I live in the land of gravel being used on the roads for traction in winter, and inconsiderate jerks who swing their doors into the vehicle parked next to them, so I like the plastic cladding. I like the new dash & gauges & controls - a refreshing change from the bland. (And my wife can't see the speedometer from the passenger seat so she can't tell how fast we're going...)

It is a great new machine.

John
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Things are unfolding as many people thought... to some extent.

1-Disgruntled existing 4Runner owner who want to upgrade
    2-Excited new customers moving over from other brands (mainly JGC who was their prime target according to some Toyota folks I've talked to)

I imagine that it might feel the same way when your favorite musician or poet turns out commercial with crowd-pleasing pop songs that make the charts between Michael Bolton and Britney Spears......

To many of us, Toyota had a great product with the 3rd gen that only needed more power and an updated interior. That was simple.

They just bent to market pressure and created an urban toy that would sell well to the general market.

"Oh my gosh.. a speed bump... let's put this thing in 4WD if we want to make sure we can cross this thing and the next poodle of water... Hang on"

Unfortunate.
    You folks make it sound like you can't take this new 4runner off-road. I certainly hope you are wrong about that. I traded in my Xterra for the new 4Runner with the intent of continuing to go off-road. Also, I really don't mind the plastic, it seems to protect the vehicle pretty well.

I do have one problem. I can't clear the garage door when I open the hatch. Is there any way to prevent the hatch from extending all the way?

SV
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    Those of you who HATE the body clading on the SR5 are in for a surprise. While driving on the freeway in SoCal (22 west @ Garden Grove) I saw a 4Runner SR5 with BODY COLORED clading. It did not have any lic plates. I was floored to see it. I think the car belonged to Toyota of Garden Grove. It was light blue in color and looked very sharp. It did not have the rear hatch spoiler. At first I thought it was a Limited, then I looked at the front left fender/door (I do not remember which) and I saw SR5. I think this is worth looking into. I am pretty sure that it was an SR5.
    I have heard of a few dealers painting the cladding themselves.
    from a different thread is that Toyota is changing the cladding on SR5s to be body-colored with vehicles widely available in 90 days! And this report was from a dealer!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Is that set in stone from Toyota Central itself? Generally dealers can't get their info straight on anything.
    I had mentioned this on another thread - can't remember which. But, yes my good friend is a Toyota dealer and his rep told him that body colored cladding would be offered in 90 days. There was a dealer/Toyota meeting in Cleveland recently, at which the topic came up. Evidently, the product isn't moving as intended. Personally, I wasn't diggin the new model all that much, but it is growing on me - don't mean to sound like I'm caving. A limited in the Titanium Silver is a nice look. I drove a Limited and it was extremely smooth and very fun to drive, which I think helped to change my opinion. That torque makes all the difference. I have an 01' Highlander that I'd like to trade in next year. V6 will be here by January. I'm dumbfounded as to why Toyota won't give you the 5 speed gear box with the V6. Doesn't it make sense? The new Volvo SUV is just the opposite - the larger engine gets a 4 speed and the smaller engine gets the 5 speed.
    the larger engine gets the 4-spd because the new specially designed 5-spd can't handle the torque of the larger engine, or something like that. Just one more case of the new globalism - getting your parts from all over, so that some only fit some configurations.

As for me, I wish they still offered the 5 speed MANUAL in the new 4Runners. Last year you could get that I think was '99 or so.

• dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Per articles, the 5-speed won't fit with the straight 6 motor in the engine compartment, as built now.
  • ronstoyronstoy Member Posts: 55
    I have been too a couple of toyota dealerships and have yet to see a 4Runner with out a sunroof. Out of about 20 4Runners, mostly LTD but some SR5, all had sunroof. I need to sit in one without b/c I hit the top of my head on the roof. Surprisingly it is about the same in the Highlander, but marginally better in the RAV4, both with sunroof.

Who knows.
    Iv'e seen a couple without sunroof. All of them were SR5's.
  • michelle40michelle40 Member Posts: 1
    WE'RE IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A 2003 LIMITED
    IN TITANIUM..EACH TIME ONE IS DELIVERED TO THE DEALERSHIP, THERE'S A PAINT FLAW ON
    THE HOOD!! WE'VE WAITED FOR 4 OF THEM TO COME INTO
    THE DEALER'S LOT AND EACH TIME THERE WAS SOMETHING
    WRONG WITH THE PAINT..IT'S ONLY WITH THE TITANIUM.
    OTHER DEALERS IN OUR AREA ARE HAVING THE SAME
    PROBLEM!! THIS IS THE ONLY COLOR I PREFER, TOO!
    HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED? IT'S PRETTY FRUSTRATING!
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Michelle: See my reply on the other New Toyota 2003 4Runner discussion.

-Karl
    Hi all. Our 2003 Limited was delivered with a poorly manufactured trailer hitch drawbar (ball mount bar), which won't fit into the hitch receiver because it's .05" too big in the vertical dimension. Our sales guy says the part is on "intergalactic backorder".

Our truck arrived with no traction control defeat switch which the owner's manual says is supposed to be just to the right of the differential lock switch on the left side of the dash. The sales guy says they're all coming in this way (Ours is a Limited 4WD V8), and that the switch described in the manual is for another market.

Anyone have similar/different experiences?

-Karl
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Khaug...you have a 4wd model, right?

It does NOT have a TRAC OFF switch...this ONLY applies to 2wd models!!

Your traction control system is ALWAYS on...you can read more about it on my website (you know where to find it).

On 4wd models, you can ONLY turn off VSC by locking the center differential...i assume there is a switch for that.

Your salesman, like 99.99% of them, are not well-versed in the 4Runner.
    Karl,

I had the same problem with my hitch, it was too big on vertical as well. Here is where it gets even more interesting, the dealer ordered me a new one and it came in 4 days later. Guess what? It had the exact same problem. The dealer got quite desperate so we went and grab a hitch from a 4runner in the lot and it worked. Oh, the hitch they ordered for me didn't fit the other 4runners on the lot either.

I am not sure what is going on, but my guess is we will probably hear more about this issue as people actually try to use their hitch.

SV
    Yep, 4wd. I just ran out, grabbed the manual and now see the whole "traction control" topic which begins on P. 134 pertains to 2wd models. Thanks, Thai, for setting me straight.

Actually, my sales guy is very good - far and away the best I've dealt with. He just missed on this, and I'll forgive him that one gaffe!

Sovang, I think it's clear that Toyota got a bad batch of hitches, or at least drawbars. Looking at the hitch receiver, I'm not exactly crazy about the workmanship it displays either. The welding looks like some of the stuff I did in junior high school shop class - two pounds of bead and one ounce of penetration. I hope they know more than I do!

Regards,

-Karl
  • n17n17 Member Posts: 6
    Hi-

I am new to the board and looking at 2003 4runner 4WD -I am hearing Jan for V6 release ...any idea on the price and gas mileage difference between the two - V8 and V6 models? Also, it sounds as though they recommend premium fuel to obtain their estimates ..true? thanks in advance
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    The gas milage is 1mgp lower both city and highway for the v8 model. Pricing shows that the base price for the V6 is about $800 less but I would guess that they will be building them with less equipment as well, so overall price should be anywhere between $1000-$1500 less. We'll have more info when we start seeing them show up in a month or so.
  • superleggerasuperleggera Member Posts: 74
    Just got a message (which I posted on the main 4Runner board) from Toyota saying that the V6 is here and that I should check with my local dealer for availability. Now we'll really see how these puppies sell...
  • thebigshowthebigshow Member Posts: 15
    As the 4Runner is compared to other SUV's, I thought everyone may be interested in the following information from Toyota. "The measurements for the 2003 4Runner from the ground to the point of entry from the rear are 31.69 inches for the SR5 2-Wheel Drive and 31.49 inches for the SR5 4-Wheel Drive." It took me forever to get this information from Toyota.

I have talked with over 20 Toyota dealers in states in the Southeast and Midwest. I found that the dealers were willing to sell the 4WD SR5's at small profits over invoice minus holdback. They were not willing to discount the Limited's as much. I was only interested in the Limited because of the SR5 body cladding. The best price I could negotiate on a 4WD Limited with Sunroof, 6 Disc, Floor Mats, and cigarette lighter was $35,400. The sticker price was $38,946.

I ended up buying a 2003 4WD Ford Expedition instead of the 2003 4WD 4Runner. I got a loaded 4WD Expedition XLT for over $2,000 less than the highest price I was willing to pay on a 2003 4Runner Limited. (No Toyota dealer ever officially accepted my highest bid). Happy shopping!
    a V-6 - mileage EPA figures are 17/21, as compared to 15/19 for the V-8 (both 4x4). I guess on the V-6 it managed to beat Toyota's original estimates in the actual EPA test.

• superleggerasuperleggera Member Posts: 74
    Where there any other differences on the sticker or in the looks of the vehicle itself? Where did you see the V6?
  • loosebottlesloosebottles Member Posts: 21
    Thinking about getting an '03 w/ Nav. Worth it? Ease/difficulty of use? Would you buy w/ it again? Any feedback greatly appreciated!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I will neevr again be guilty of buying a non-competitive "captive" nav system.
  • docyitdocyit Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2003 Limited 4Runner since 10/20/02 and it is the nicest SUV no vehicle I have ever owned and I have had 14 new cars including a 2001 Vette. You will not be disappointed as it is a huge step up from my 98 4ruuner. Except one thing!!! Gas mileage sucks!
    The Sticker states 15-19 well I have squeezed out 15.7 just once and average 13.5-14.5 over combined highway and urban driving. Even with full highway the best I can hope for is 15-16 (if I put on cruise at 65MPH)
    Anyone else doing better? I am calling Toyota to ask what is up with the poor MPG.

Doc
  • tedplanotedplano Member Posts: 31
    This is the same engine as in the landcruiser. I get between 12-14 on the cruiser which is slightly less than the 4runner due to it being a heavier vehicle. Get used to it.
  • morrymorry Member Posts: 24
    I just bought a new 4Runner last night. I have been looking at the Sequoia for 2 years and was finally ready to purchase it. When I went to the dealer on Wednesday, I hapenend to see the new 4Runner. Oh, what a feeling! I gave it a test drive and fell in love. Yesterday, I went back (after price researching) and looked again. Two and one half hours later I signed the papers. Because I wanted navigation, they had to locate me one. Evidently, there are none in our region so they went to another. I will pick it up next week.

Although my family is happy for me, they can't truly appreciate what I am feeling like all of you can. I am so excited that I almost can't wait. After it comes in and I have driven it for a while, I'll let you all know my thoughts.

Happy and healthy holidays to all!
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    My overall mileage at 4,828 miles is 16.553 mpg. Highest was 19.2
    Lowest was 13.7

That is with a V8 4WD and 87 octane gas. Driving has been a mix of city and highway, but with more highway driving.

I will be switching to Mobil 1 synthetic oil in a few hundred miles. I hope that will increase the mpg slightly, but I doubt it will make much, if any, difference.

I find this mpg acceptable, but would really like to get closer to 20. I figure getting about 3 mpg higher would save me about $250/year (for 20,000 miles). Personally, I would be willing to trade a little horsepower/torque for a little better mileage--at least when I am not towing my trailer. Too bad they can't put in a switch to toggle between higher mpg and higher power!
  • jbhncjbhnc Member Posts: 16
    I have been getting ~17 in city driving and ~22 on the highway (typically ~70mph with cruise on) on a V8 LTD 4x4.

Running premium and midgrade (can't tell a difference). I did put synthetic in it, no significant MPG difference but I am a firm believer it will be better for the engine in the long run.

BTW: Get to take bang my new 'runner around the mtns next week. Can't wait to see how it holds up compared to my old Disco on some trails...hope its muddy!

- J
  • morrymorry Member Posts: 24
    Can someone please tell me what the port installed option DK is? Also, can daytime running lights be installed at the dealer. Is it just a module or simple install? Would it be the same as a factory order?

Thanks!
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    It's a "folder," worth no more than $10.
This discussion has been closed.