Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner - 2003

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Have something to say about the redesigned '03 4Runner set to debut this Fall? Let's talk about it here.

kirstie_h
Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• mifidimifidi Member Posts: 5
    Any info available on what extra features are included on the Limited? Does it have the 13" disc brakes Semantics mentioned was in the sport package?
  • prjacoprjaco Member Posts: 7
    I haven't seen any information on the new 4-runner. What are the changes and new features?
    I am considering a Honda Pilot.

Thanks
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    They just opened this discussion, but there is a lot of information about the 2003 in the SUV Toyota 4Runner discussion.

Before you make your decision I think you should look at what is coming for the 4Runner this fall.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    The Pilot is obviously one of the top two or three mid-sized SUV's around. Honda's innovations, using a minivan to produce roomy SUV's, yields many benifits.

But the 4Runner is not really going after Pilot customers. The 4Runner seems more for the traditional SUV buyer looking for rakish, athletic style, a tall stance, and excellent off-road ability. Now Toyota wants to add state-of-the-art safety features, and segment leading V6 power to the mix. A third seat seems low on the priority list.

If style, off-road ability, and optional V8 power are high on your list, go with the 'Yota. If a third seat, extra elbow room, and a low price are priorities, lean toward the Pilot. More single guys will lean toward the 4Runner because it has that certain "something", a look, that makes it more than just another SUV. The Pilot is softer around the middle, less stylish, better as a family hauler
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    Apparently...there's one running around now...

http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=012362

• buyingatoyotabuyingatoyota Member Posts: 4
    Looks like Paul S (outdoorwire.com toyota forum) will go down in history...catching the first of the 4th generation. Wow - does it look bad! What is with all the plastic side cladding?

Wake up kids - it is here!
  • mentor34mentor34 Member Posts: 60
    Our dealer in Madison said that they just received confirmation that the Limited would have the third seat option in 2003.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    I like the color too.
  • spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    The picture looks like the rear window no longer
    goes down. Anybody?
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    The rear window in that picture looks similar to the current one, and I think probably goes down. If it didn't, I think it would be flush with the rest of the rear (like the Highlander).
  • reed4reed4 Member Posts: 56
    Does anyone know if the 3.4 V6 will carry over to the new runner or will a new V6 be offered? If so, any stats on the engine? Also, I've read that it will receive the Tundra's V8. Will the output remain the same for that engine?

Thanks......Reed
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    V6 - 245hp / 283 torque

V8 - 235 hp / 320 torque
  • reed4reed4 Member Posts: 56
    mrwhipple,

Thanks for the numbers. The V6 sounds very impressive. Do you know what the displacement is and if it will be a VVT-i design? Based on those numbers I'd be curious to know how close the mpg is between the two.

Reed
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    I think the displacement on the new V-6 is 4.0-liters. I do not know if it's VVT-i or not, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • mjday1972mjday1972 Member Posts: 77
    Does anyone know if Toyota is going to match the Pilot by offerring a third row of seats in the next generation 'runner?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Many on the main 4Runner board have weighed in and it has gone back and forth. The ones that work for Toyota and should know have sounded a resounding NO 3rd row of seats, at least not at first. They claim that a survey of potential buyers in Toyota's target market called that unimportant. It seems that it would cost too much and begin to compete with the Sequoia too much.
    would engineer the new truck to have a fold-flat 3rd seat, if they were to put one in! The clam-shell seats are an easy add-on for 2004. If you get a picture of the 2nd row, that will provide the answers, of if it is ready for 3rd row passengers.

Remember, Toyota DID TRY a 3rd seat with the current 4Runner in 1997. Maybe this time, they can make it more useable.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    Toyota has three (3) vehicles built off of this new platform for MY 03. The new TLC Prado, GX470 and 4RUNNER. Since the GX470 will have the 3RD row seats (very similar to the TLC & LX470).

While the general thought is no on the 3rd row the at first is very likely. If Toyota sees a market segment and business case they will do it, and it may be an option to order. Saying the 3rd row seats would eat up Sequoia sales is like saying the Explorer takes away Expedition sales. They don't. Two different sized vehicles for different sized uses.

If you want it tell Toyota you want it. Since the GX470, Prado and 4RUNNER are all the same minus sheet metal and interior grade levels then the seat can be done.
  • ibleaveibleave Member Posts: 13
    Anyone know a reputable Toyota dealership/sales person in the Washington DC area? I'm considering one of the 2003 4runners and want to avoid "required" dealership add-on extras (e.g., paint protection, market alignment charges, etc).
    The Explorer has definitely hurt Expedition sales, as Expedition sales have been in a consistent 15-20% decline since the Explorers 3rd seat came out. I work for Ford, so I know costumers do compare the medium and full-sized SUV's.

That's why Tahoe sales are so strong. It's the only GM SUV with 3 rows! So Toyota knows this, and is trying to sell more Sequioas, for a higher margin than the 30k 4Runner/HighLander. That's why they don't have 3 rows yet. Toyota wants the Sequioa to sell.
    Well I am not an automotive expert, but a objective buyer. I have been driving the Moutnainer for a few days (rental) and I can say it's ok, but I wouldn' buy one. WHY? 3rd row seat. I have not pull over to cover the cargo area. Since I have no use for the extra seats and they cannot be removed (if I were to buy one) then I dont care for it.

Those who want a full size SUV are not the same as the mid size SUV shoppers.

Also one last note. GM has been shipping and selling the Trailblazer XL & Envoy XL, you know 3RD ROW SEAT versions. So how long before the Tahoe loses sales. A Tahoe is not a Trailblazer enen in comfort and size.
    And the Tahoe should start to lose sales almost immediately, with the new 2003 Expedition and the TrailBlazer EXT to compete with.
    Reed4

I have also heard 4.0 for the V6.

I'm curious too about the mpg difference between the 2 engines. Vehicle weight is going to be a factor. Should increase. I can't imagine the difference to be much, I suspect somewhere around 2 mpg at best.
    The build quality and plastics are CHEAP. The vhehicle only as 10k on the clock and already there is a weird buzzing sound coming from somewhere in the cabin. But then again its a rental and it will be gone in a few days.

Most Tahoe buyers are long term owners although they do sell allot of them. How many recalls has GM had on the mid size, full size and min SUV's compared to the Escape, Exlorer & Expedition.

Not looking for a flame war, just stating a question and correcting some postings.
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    This suppose to be a toyota forum. U.S SUV's such as Ford, GM, etc. fall apart in the tropics and endurance is poor. Toyota is the indisputable king of bad roads. Turbodiesels are my choice.

Anybody with a new Prado pic. Thx
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    This topic exists to exchange information on the 2003 Toyota 4Runner, and is definitely not the place for SUV wars. Back on topic, please!

kirstie_h
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    There is no 3rd row option in the new Japanese model. I did notice the 3.4L motor listed in JP. However, they were still using the 3.0L in JP while we had the 3.4L.

> Displacement = > tax dollars in JP.
  • hkyhky Member Posts: 71
    When will this nice suv be available for sale?
    If you head over to the 2003 4Runner Preview Page, the latest update we've got is Fall 2002.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Availability is somewhere between late Sept. and early Oct.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Does anyone know where I can go to view a pic of the new ?
    You will have to scroll back a ways the links may be gone and they can no longer be posted. Do a search of the web and you may find what you are looking for.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    OK Tidester, here's another "message forum." Should this have not been posted, because it's "promoting" another forum site?

Bob
    I'm not upset with you, or against your recent posting.

Your post just so happened to coincide with a very recent discussion on another 4Runner forum regarding the posting ("promoting") of message forums with Edmunds host Tidester. I'm all for posting such such links; Tidester (Edmunds) isn't.

Bob
  • justsomeguy1justsomeguy1 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, explanation accepted rsholland. Here's the link to pics of the 2003 4Runner:

http://community.webshots.com/album/44356383oArXaQ

As I mentioned before, I have no claim or connection to the pics. Pics were taken by a guy who posted on a YotaTech Toyota Forum, and he was kind enough to share his fortuitousness.

Again, enjoy. :-)

rs, Tidester isn't the host of this particular message board, I am. Please direct questions about policy to hosts or management via e-mail rather than wasting others' time with that discussion on the boards. Thanks.

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    The green one looks a lot like the current 4Runner and the blue one looks like the Highlander. Anyone agree?
  • cfeldmancfeldman Member Posts: 14
    I recently purchase a 2002 4 runne, sport edition with rear heater, leather, sunroof,bug deflector and c7 package for $29,000.
    I went from a smaller sports type car to this vehicle.
    I am enjoying this vehicle immensely. It seems that the new 2003's are certainly going to be larger and in my opinion look somewhat like the highlander. Although nice looking, I cannot imagine the vehicles being worth an extra 5-8k when the 2002's are available now at a great price. Also, I have owned quite a few SUV's with much higher Horse power than the 183 in my 2002 4 runner and the 4 runner is fine! How much horse does one really need. This is a personal thing but the horse is fine for me.
    If you want to get a great suv for a great deal, the 2002 4 runner is a great deal.
    My mechanic had a hard time getting the oil filter out the first time as the plates are there. He has figured out how to squeeze his arm in to do the change now without taking the plates off.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    A person from our dealership just came bnack from San Fran and he was one of the 96 people that were invited to the preride and drive of the 2003 4Runner. He said the pictures we have seen make the 4runner look more like a Sequoia but in person you can tell it is still a 4Runner. He took a few pictures of the inside and outside when he had the chance but we haven't gotten them developed yet. Every dealer will have one on the lot on October 15th.

I didn't get to go to San Fran but I am going to the Toyota's National Dealer meeting in Los Angeles in September where I can see it up close and in person and will have much more info after that.
  • petra02petra02 Member Posts: 33
    Wow, I was going to post that link, but it looks like you beat me to it! This 4Runner looks a lot like a miniature Sequoia. I guess Toyota is trying to develop a theme. I like the Blue paint, too. I've read on PM that engines will include the current V6, as well as the 4.7L., 240 horsepower V8. As the 4Runner moves upscale, the Land Crusier and Sequoia will begin offering a 5.4L., 280 horsepower V8 sometime in the near future.
    V6 - 245hp / 283 torque

V8 - 235 hp / 320 torque

The new 5.4L V8 for the Sequoia will be for the 2004 model. That engine will be built in the States too.
    4.0L engine?
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    I know many people have seen the so called pics of the new 2003 4Runner but are we really sure this is what it's going to look like. Toyota could have staged the vehicle to be seen by people to trick them into thinking it's the new Runner. It could be a prototype of some sort for all we know. In other words, are we sure the vehicle that we are seeing now is going to be the exact same vehicle on the Toyota dealership lots in a few weeks. I don't think anyone can 100% say it is, can you? The reason I ask is, I would like to buy a 4Runner within the next few weeks and I certainly like the look of the 2002 model but am unsure of the 2003 model. Now when the 2003 model comes out soon, it could be totally different than what we have seen from the secretive pictures of it. If that is the case, there may be a whole lot of upset 4Runner buyers out there or vice versa depending on how the 2003 model actually looks. I wonder if it would be even possible to buy a 2002 Limited model when the 2003 have hit the lots due to the dwindling supplies of them at this time. Having access to both model years would be the best thing so you can make a educated decision before making an expensive purchase.
  • maransmmaransm Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know about the approximate milage in 2003's V6 and V8???

am hoping it should be atleast,
    V6 - 19 city / 22 highway
    V8 - 15 City / 18 highway

Any idea???
    << Please direct questions about policy to hosts or management via e-mail rather than wasting others' time with that discussion on the boards. >>

I've been in touch via e-mail with Sylvia, here at Edmunds several times on this "picture" matter. She's told me that posting other links (with or without message boards) is OK&#151;if it's for "informational" or "reference" purposes only. However, Edmunds gets very touchy (as you know) if a link in any way tries to "hijack" Edmunds posters, or blatantly "promotes" those forums over the Edmunds site.

So if you would like my e-mail transactions with her, let me know.

Bob
  • dianadgdianadg Member Posts: 3
    My car is listed to sell, and I would like to buy a 2003. I know they hit the lots on Oct 15th, but could you order early to come in around that time, or can you not order until the 15th?? I know it takes 6wks to come in.
    This info would really help. Also does anyone know about what the price of a 2003 SR5 might run???
    Ordering is rather tough for a vehicle getting an all new release as product is limited at the get go (coming from Japan via larg cargo ship).

The other isse you face is that not ALL dealers will sell for MSRP, but rather MSRP + $XXXX dollars above it. If you find one who has one and is will to go MSRP you will have limited inventory, color choices and of course the first cars always are hot.

Good luck, but I would make your sale contingent on new car purchase (if you can and are close enough to the release date).

Also it depends if you are on the left coast or right coast as to actual delivery date. But hey someone on here could easily mention a dealer with inventory and who could transport to you. Lots of options.
    I believe you're right about it being a 4.0 litre.
  • superleggerasuperleggera Member Posts: 74
    PBS

MOTORWEEK

"4runner" (#2203)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Track Test

Air Times: Saturday, September 21, 2002 05:00 PM

http://www.mpt.org/schedule/series.cfm?series_id=1434
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I purchased my 2001 from Fitzgeralds in Gaithersburg....No muss, no fuss, price quoted on the internet was price delivered.
This discussion has been closed.