Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Latitude

15678911»

Comments

• odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    A 6-seater coupe???
    I'd prefer the 2-3-2 arrangement in a Stream.

When Tom Elliot said there would be a car below the Civic next year, I hope he meant next 'model year' (2005), which could begin anytime now. If he's waiting till calendar 2005, then Honda will be giving up too much ground to competitors.

Now being outsold in Canada (Mazda3) and the USA (Corolla), the Civic is at the end of its line for this generation. Honda needs to wake the heck up. Why should it take any more than a few months to bring something over that already exists in other markets?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    ...because Honda may spring (pun intended) a surprise on us and show possibly the Honda Fit and the all-new Honda Latitude, which will be the first vehicle based on a new platform that will also be the basis for the next-generation CR-V small SUV and the second-generation Element SUV. The Japanese domestic market Honda Odyssey small van may be the harbinger of what the Latitude could be like, though I can envisage the Latitude to be very differently-shaped.
  • lostjrlostjr Member Posts: 26
    The Jazz/Fit has been seen recently in N. Am:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=216053
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Great catch with the Fit/Jazz pix in TO! Makes the Echo hatch look homely. Honda will sell a boatload of these once they release it here.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    looks nice. Sure looks better than the xB, which is too boxy for me.
    "Waiting for NY Auto Show....

...because Honda may spring (pun intended) a surprise on us and show possibly the Honda Fit and the all-new Honda Latitude, which will be the first vehicle based on a new platform that will also be the basis for the next-generation CR-V small SUV and the second-generation Element SUV."

So much for that idea, I guess.

Speaking of the element, they keep _showing_ painted versions, but not offering them.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    A thought on the Flexa. It will share the suspension with the Mazda3. I notice on the 3 that even though the rear suspension coil spring is very compact that the shock placement really takes up some cabin space, so much so that the rear cargo width in the 3 hatch is just 41" compared to 45" for a Focus Wagon which is a narrower vehicle. I don't see how they are going to "fix" this. Seems a real limitation for a flexible utility vehicle.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Just saw this and wonder if this could be the new Odyssey, Latitude or totally new van.

http://www.honda.co.jp/ELYSION

Intro date May 13th. Anyone know??
    no clue. Seems a bit big to be a Latitude though.
    Good find. Very good find! 190"L 72"W and 70.4" H with a 2.4 I-VTEC. It's definitely shorter then the US Ody and nearly as wide and a tad higher. About 10"longer than Stream and 10" shorter then US Ody. Bit bigger then we thought the Latitude would be, but maybe this is it, or maybe we'll never know what that elusive Latitude was supposed to be. Looks like a lot of interior volume and typical Asia/Euro efficient design.
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    is only for the JDM to compete with the Toyota Alphard van. But to me sizewise it's more sensible than the hulking Sienna/Odyssey/Quest "minivans" sold in the U.S.
    we will not see a Honda Latitude/Stream until 2007.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 37581

Look under News..
    The new compact mpv by Honda that will replace the slow-selling Stream is due in the UK in 2005 and will be shown at this September's Paris auto show and is based on the forth-coming re-design of the Civic, according to this article in Auto Express: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=46192
    They even have a picture. Still not crazy about the 3+3 layout......means it's really only practicle as a 5 seater. Could this be our Latitude?
    it might be our Latitude, who knows?
    From the back it looks like a Pacifica that has had a Rendezvous-diagonal chop taken to it. The stance is all wrong -- it looks wide and ungainly. I'd take the MX-Flexa (or an old Stream) over this in a heartbeat.
    ...this time from the car connection, however these look more like a "mega jazz" than the pic from auto express.
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7070&sid=17- 8&n=158
    ...if that Auto Express pic is even a Honda (despite the proximity to the Honda plant in Swindon). It reminds me of something I've seen before....maybe the BMW compact people-mover concept? The car connection pix are definitely Honda....looks like a big Jazz.
    I think you are right about your suspicion. When I saw the Auto Express pic, I thought it had the back of a BMW with the sides of a Pacifica.

What is interesting is that both AE and TCC use the same text, but show two very different looking cars. The TCC's looks much more like a Honda, but DOESN'T have a Honda sign in the background.

The TCC picture also shows that it is a running mule based on the Fit/Jazz platform. Look at the front hood and the rear roofline. It's clear they've grafted different body panels on to the fit. The bulging front end suggests as the story says that a much bigger engine is under the hood.
    not crazy about the 3+3 layout.
    According to info that appeared (briefly!) at TOV, we won't see the F/J in N Am until model year 2006
    could have both long and short wheelbase models like DC with their vans? The Elysion states that it will come with either 2.4 liter 4 or V6!

http://www.honda.co.jp/ELYSION/whats

Also look at the FUTURE page under Honda Odyssey. A lot of info.
    I wouldn't trust the 4 cylinder in that big of a van on the highway. With the smaller Stream maybe, but not the Elysion. I'd go for the V6. A turbocharged I4 would be nice though. A hybrid would be even better. Which V6 engine is in the Elysion? The Accord 3.0, Odyssey's 3.5, TL's 3.2? Or a whole new engine?
    to have the 3.0 V6 from the Accord. This with a 5 speed AT. Probably a nice combination and smaller than either Sienna or Odyssey.

Anyone seen any later news on the Mazda MX-Flexa or Latitude? How about the JDM Odyssey? Hope they all show up in the next year or so..
    is it coming to the states?
    How heavy is that Honda MPV now under test in the UK? If the vehicle just lighter than the current US-market Honda Accord and can accommodate the 2.4-liter I-4 160 bhp engine, there is a very good chance we may just see it in the US market as the Honda Latitude as a 2006 year model coming in the spring or summer of 2005. With the price of gasoline so high nowadays and noting the success of the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe "twins," Honda needs a vehicle that is reasonably fuel efficient and have interior arrangements that is superior to the Matrix/Vibe.

I think the reason why we won't see the current Honda Fit in the US market is that Honda may be working on a second-generation Honda Fit that may be slightly larger than the current car (to better accommodate American-sized passengers) that is developed with the US market in mind. It might be just large enough to accommodate the engines used on the current Honda Civic model.
    have hit $2.00 in my area!!!! (actually they're $1.99) So, would high gas prices create a market for smaller micro-vans in the United States, with 2+3+2 seating. (or 2+2+2, like the Pacifica only without all the weight the Pacifica has)
    This applies to the UK but hopefully some of it will show up here as well.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=46638
    Mainly about the next-gen civic (due 2006) which will include a CRX! Also, Civic 5 door will borrow folding seat design from the current Jazz.
    Honda's crazy if they don't give us both the Civic 5-door and CRX. + a Latitude-type microvan between the Civic 5-door and the Odyssey. An entry-level Fit/Jazz would complete the picture.
    Looks like the European Honda Stream is now going to be called the EDIX 3x2! Looks much better then the Stream/Latitude. No other information.

http://www.honda-club-ems-jade.de/Honda%20News/Honda_s_New_MPV_ED- IX/honda_s_new_mpv_edix.html
    More from Honda..

http://www.honda.co.jp/3x2/
    The Edix has odd proportions and a strange back end that I don't think will go over very well here. Also, North American's won't like the 3-3 seating. Two up front is what most want.

I'd be much happier with the current Stream, although I see they've dropped the 2-3-2 configuration in favor of a 2-2-2 layout. The original worked better for me.

http://www.honda.co.uk/brochure/download/cars/HondaStream.pdf
    According to the Aug issue of C&D, the Edix is the Acura RDX. It claims a 200 hp 2.4 engine enhanced by Honda's integrated Motor Assist system. FWD standard with AWD optional. Fall '05.
    Besides the upcoming Acura RDX that will be based off the Edix/FR-V platform, don't be surprised we will see a Honda-badged version for the US market with the name Honda Latitude as early as the 2006 model year. And it will be powered by the same 2.4-liter I-4 160 bhp (SAE) engine now found on the CR-V and four-cylinder Accords, and the transmission choice will be either five-speed manual or five-speed automatic.
    Oh no. Please say we get the 2-2-2 seating and not the 3-3. At least as an option. And what other info do we have about the RDX?
    Honda is thinking if the Edix will be our Latitude. It will probably sell..look at how many Aztek's you see..but not for me. Everyone is right about the 3-3 seating. The front center seat is odd and do not like. I'd like it better with no center front seat! I'd much prefer the Elysion, JDM Odyssey and yes the Acura RDX. Any of these or a WISH..Flexa. Anyone know?
    Actually, from what people have surmised from the Acura RD-X concept car shown a few years ago, the final Acura RDX that will come out as a 2006 model will probably be based on the Edix/FR-V, though it's very likely the front and rear end treatment will be shaped somewhat differently than the Edix/FR-V to make it more appealing to American buyers. It's possible that the final NA market Honda Latitude will have the Edix/FR-V front end, but will have a back end that will not look like something out of a Pontiac Aztek. :-) After all, given Honda's recent history of building quite different cars from a common platform....
    Car and Driver. They have a picture of the Acura RD-X and it is based off the Honda CRV. Power will be Honda's 2.4 putting out 200hp. From what you can see from the picture it is really nice..not the 2002 Concept car that was shown.
    I was against the 6 seater 3+3 layout at the start, but upon seeing it, it's growing on me a bit. Especially since we are a family of 3 and could utilize the 3 front seats, leaving a huge luggage space behind. Not sold on the looks yet though....as others have mentioned, kind of an Aztec-like car on top of a car look. Fix the styling and it just might work.
    because this German website continues updating pictures of the Edix. Maybe the pictures are starting to grow on me because it really doesn't look that bad. If you see what I see it has LEFT HAND DRIVE! The first pictures were Right hand drive.

I remember when I first saw the present Honda Accord. UGLY!! Looks like it's grown on everyone because there sure are a lot on the road..
    It's from todays CNN Money..

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/15/news/international/honda.reut/ind- ex.htm

Also from Autoweek about the STRONG Sport Wagon sales in the U.S. Hope this means that we will see more of these.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=05893298
    I think based on the Autoweek article, it's getting more and more likely that the Honda Edix/FR-V may make it to the US market as the Honda Latitude as early as the 2006 model year.

You have to consider the following: 1) the Edix/FR-V could easily "drop in" the 2.4-liter I-4 i-VTEC 160 bhp (SAE) engine used on the Honda CR-V/Element and the four-cylinder Accord models and 2) the Edix/FR-V has to meet the stringent European New Car Assessment Programme (EuroNCAP) crash test standards, which are pretty much the same as the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) frontal, offset frontal and side-impact tests.

With a few minor styling changes (exterior and interior), the Edix/FR-V Latitude derivative is ready for the US market.
    A Canadian site did a mini-review on the Edix/FR-V and pegged the price (based on foreign currency conversion)at $32,600 CAD or $24,600 USD
    ....no way it could ever be successfull at those prices.....that's the price of an Odyssey (whose sales are suffering somewhat because the Sienna undercuts it by $2600 CAD). Especially here in Canada, where the market is extremely price-sensitive, I think it would have to start around $24,600 CAD and top out at no more than $30,000 CAD to have any hope of success. Mazda MPV's start in the mid 20's and if Mazda brings us the 4/Flexa, there's no way they're going to price it higher than an MPV, so Honda better get realistic when it comes to pricing this thing.
    BTW, I'm hoping the Edix/FR-V will look a little better in person (right now, it trails the 4/Flexa by a wide margin in the looks department, IMHO). I do see a bit of BMW X-5 in the back end (which is good) but also a bit of Aztek (which is not so good). Also, the area under the front bumper needs to be better integrated into the bumper itself. As raychuang00 suggested, maybe a few styling tweeks are in order.
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    So I've always liked the practical Fiat Multipla seat configuration (not the exterior). I'm pleasantly surprised Honda is adapting/improving on it. Remember how many detractors there were when Honda introduced the Ody's magic seats? Or how the Honda Elements design put off some people? These are innovative designs that shows there are a lot of us practical people out there willing to vote with their money.

If the price is right, I'll trade in my Mazda MPV for a 3+3 seat diesel Edix/FR-V. In fact, I'll also trade in my 01 Toy Prius for a diesel Jazz for an encore.
    So say if Honda did bring the Edix to North America - do you think they would keep the 3x3 format?
    It is not really that wide by US standards. I think it would become 2x in front and 3x in back.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    the same reason we are not seeing the 3 rows toyota wish, mitsu grandis, honda stream... we're too horizontal challenged, especially in the southern section of the torso.
    I prefer 2-2-2, 2-3-2, or even the more minivan like 2-2-3. I'm not a huge fan of the 3-3. If they made it 3-3-3, then I might consider, since I'm getting more seating capacity than a minivan.
    go to the Edmunds Future Vehicle discussions on both the Honda FR-V/Edix and Mazda MX-Flexa/Mazda 4 which has now been named to be the Mazda5. There is more information there.
    is this discussion basically dead?
  • dmundy1dmundy1 Member Posts: 37
    The new Honda Airwave based off the Jazz/Fit platform.
    http://www.honda.co.jp/AIRWAVE/index.html
This discussion has been closed.