Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TSX

Comments

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Actually, all automotive glass blocks out UVB rays - the kind that are primarily responsible for sunburn and skin cancer. Windshields are treated to give some protection against UVA as well - the kind that cause aging of the skin and play a role in the development of skin cancer.
  • Options
    mreedmreed Member Posts: 7
    Well, if we're concerned about cooling a car, then we need to reflect IR. That's what makes the sunshine feel hot. That's why shade is cooler. A reflective IR surface applied to the outside surface of window glass would effectively put the window under shade.

Actually, it would be pretty cool if our paint also had a layer of such a tint applied as the final layer. Cars would be a lot cooler inside.
  • Options
    meg9713meg9713 Member Posts: 21
    By tinted windows, I meant a somewhat darker tint, the kind that gets put on windows because you specifically want the windows to look darker. Now, my question is can Acura do that? I know they would take the car to an outside place to have it done, but do you think it can be negoiated? I'd love to have it done before picking the car up, that's why I ask.
  • Options
    Any dealer can provide you with the service. They will probably send it out or they have someone who comes in and does it.

Can you negotiate - I'm sure you can try.

Why not just have it down after you pick it up? I'm sure in places where everyone tints, it'll take a couple of hours of your time.
  • Options
    Any advice or experience with buying a TSX in Connecticut? New York? New Jersey? Can anyone recommend a specific dealer?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I see you asked the same question in our Prices Paid discussion for the TSX. Since that is the right place for you to pursue this, I'm going to ask that anyone who might have a response for you reply to the post at this link - meg9713, "Acura TSX: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #1691, 29 Jun 2005 5:41 pm - instead of here.

Good luck!
  • Options
    mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    I've had too many friends who have been stung at the end of a lease because of mileage or revised resale value.

I've never heard of anyone getting burned at the end of a lease because of "revised resale value". I believe that most car leases these days are closed end leases where the leasing company assumes the risk for fluctuations in a car's resale value. The customer (lessee) is only responsible to make the payments and for any damages in excess of "normal wear and tear". Excess mileage over the amount allowed in the agreement would of course, be the responsibility of the lessee.
    --**Mooselook**--
  • Options
    ers07ers07 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a TSX and I need a rear curtain to block the sun. And also I wanna do some tune up my car. I wanna know what you guys think about the tuning up.
    plz help me
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I am not sure, but I think tinted windows in CA is illegal or restricted. :cry:
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    In CA, it's only illegal to tint the front side windows and the windshield. Tint of any darkness may be applied to the rear side windows or rear window.
  • Options
    so I wanna do some tune up my car. I wanna know what you guys think about the tuning up.

How much money do you have? The best bang for your buck is to install a cold-air intake such as the Injen or Comptech product, put headers on, and reflash the computer with Hondata's upgrade. Search google for:
    "TSX Injen intake"
    "TSX Comptech intake"
    "TSX hondata reflash"
    "TSX header"

All that will probably cost you about $1000. Good luck.

(Sorry, I don't know much about a rear curtain to block the sun. Just tint the window.)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info :)
  • Options
    ers07ers07 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your help...

anyone know where can I get a rear window curtain to block the sun?????
  • Options
    Do you mean a rear window shade?

I don't know if there are rear window shades that are specifically designed for the TSX...
  • Options
    anyone know where can I get a rear window curtain to block the sun?????

Got a friend in the UK?

Honda UK Accessories

Click on interior styling and then you'll see it listed. 80 pounds.
  • Options
    delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    For car shade solutions...go to www.axius.com. You will find 'screen' rear shades...where it has suction cups to adhere to the window....and where you can still see through to the outside.

The 'screen' filters worked great for the side windows to filter out the sun for my kid in the rear seat. I am sure it will work out great for the rear window. I believe they are available at WalMart, Target, etc.
  • Options
    bomb617bomb617 Member Posts: 4
    Can the CD Changer play mp3 CDs?
  • Options
    No it cannot.

Instead, there is an add-on MP3-CD player available. It replaces the storage bin beneath the radio. However, it does not interface robustly with the head unit. That is, you can't see the track name/artist/album (ID3 tag) info. It will only show the CD#/TRACK# for each subdirectory/song on your MP3 CD. Ex: Alphabetically sorted, the 6th MP3 file in the 4th directory will just be displayed as "CD 4 -- 06"
  • Options
    How's the satellite radio in the 05s? Is it true that the first 3 months are free then it's something like $12/month?

Is there a color choice for the floor mats?
  • Options
    drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    The first three months are free, then it's on your dime. The per month cost depends on if you pay month to month or pay for an extended period at once. There is also information on a promotion floating around on how to get the first paid year for approximately $75. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed in XM. The variety is nice as is the lack of commericals, but I find the sound quality on most of the music channels to be terrible due to overcompression.

I have no idea about floor mat colors, I took the black they gave me.
  • Options
    Is there a color choice for the floor mats?

When I was test driving, every vehicle had mats matching the carpet color in the trunk from the factory. I don't believe you can choose the color.
  • Options
    Floor mats are color matched to the interior color. Parchment has parchment...quartz has quartz.

XM.... Has music formats which you will not find elsewhere. I enjoy 'alternative' music so it has a great choice there. I also like the 'deep cut' rock album oriented stations. Also comedy channels are great. I would go to their website to look at the choices.

The difficulty I have with the satellite stations is that is fades out if you go into a tunnel or sit under an overpass for an extended period of time (just like any radio station).

The big plus is that if you drive to different metropolitans...you get the same station reception. You don't have to fight to find your music.

Overall...I like it for the various music formats which you cannot find elsewhere.
  • Options
    mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    meg9713,

XM radio is a blast...never had it before...never even heard it before buying the TSX...but I must admit it is growing on me everyday...especially the comedy channel...what's amusing to me is that when you are sitting in traffic and listening to the comedy channel and your laughing your butt off people in the surrounding cars look at me like I'm nuts...but for me it really has improved my commute to work everyday...the sound quality to me is a little better than the regular radio...and if I want nice crisp sound I play my CDs.

If you get all season floor mats they are black...although I have heard that beige may be available to match the parchment interior...although I think the black blends real well with the parchment since part of your dash and doors are black as well...
  • Options
    got_vtecgot_vtec Member Posts: 22
    One of the things that it making me lean towards purchasing a TSX, aside from just how nicely it drives, is that it has a usable rear seat (compared to some coupes I was looking at). While I did test drive the TSX, I'm not sure that I spent as much time as I should have in the back seat. It seemed large enough, but I was wondering if other owners find that it is big enough.

Does it have enough room for a baby seat? Even though the TSX wouldn't be the primary baby-carrier, I would like enough leg-room for baby as well.
  • Options
    Vtec,

To answer your question...I have an 05 TSX and can tell you that we put a baby seat in the back (middle) and my wife and her sister usually rides in the back and my 6 year old son rides in the front with me and there seems to be plenty of room.
    We recently went on a road trip of 200 plus miles and no complaints... now I will agree our main family vehicle is a Honda Pilot...but the TSX is more than capable of being the family vehicle for those daily errand runs!
    Buy the TSX....you will not regret it! I get many, many good compliments!!
    For the money....best sports sedan out there....that's why it has been Car and Drivers top 10 & best sport sedan for 2 straight years!! And it's only been out for 2 years!!!
    Good luck!
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Do you have the auto trans? What kind of mpg are you getting?
  • Options
    fredvh,

I have the auto trans because of the commute I have everyday...25 miles one way...of that 25 miles 70% in town, 30% freeway at about 60-65 miles per hour...
    Manuel is hard on the knees when you are in bumper to bumper traffic...tip-tronic trans feeds my need for manuel when I get that urge....with the manuel trans that's all you have...no option to go automatic!

With the ac running almost all of the time (Florida humidity is a killer) I am getting about 26 mpg...with a somewhat heavy foot in urban driving...

I did take a 200 mile road trip right after I bought the car and got about 30 mpg going on average 75-80 mph....and a few bumper to bumper stops along the freeway going through Orlando....not bad....mpg may improve just a little over time with some added miles on the engine...
    Rock On!
  • Options
    Is the Satellite radio easy to use? Does it work the same way as a regular am/fm radio?
  • Options
    drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    You use it almost exactly like AM/FM, but with 100+ channels, many with no commercials. You have 2 sets of 6 presets for XM.

I'm still not sold on the quality though. While there isn't any static, a lot of the stations have some pretty bad compression artifacts. I also have a fair amount of trouble with dropouts due to tall trees. I'm wondering if that's because I'm pretty far north in Washington which would put the satellite at a low angle in the sky.
  • Options
    XM radio is great...is it worth $12.95 a month...not sure yet...but I am in my free 3 months mode and right now it is great...the comedy channel alone may be worth the price...I will agree with the other posts....that it sometimes does die out depending on where you are...i.e. under pass...allot of tall tress that line both sides of the roadway...etc...the clarity of the sound could be better....but I guess the big question is...how long do you spend in your car everyday? for me, a 50 mile round trip commute everyday...I'm thinking right now that $12.95 might not be so bad...think comedy channel!!!
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I listen to mostly dance music and there doesn't seem to be much compression on 80-82. They sound great to my (failing) ears. I agree about the comedy stations. They are a hoot.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    but if you purchase a long-term contract with XM they will discount the monthly rate. Agree with the posters above .. XM is awesome. Especially when you live in the outskirts. Most FM stations start fading out about 5-10 miles from my house.
  • Options
    XM is just awesome. :P
  • Options
    nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    Am I missing something or does the 6 CD player in the 2005 TSX not random or shuffle play all six CD's when random option is chosen? I am finding that the system will random play only 1disc at a time and this option has to be chosen each time I select another CD to play. Help or explanation is very much appreciated. Shuffling all 6 CD's would be more to my liking. Thanks.
  • Options
    mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    Dealers have already put in their final order for 2005 TSX and some have already placed their first order for the 2006 TSX.

The 2006 should be arriving on dealer lots the middle of August.

Now if we only knew what some of the changes were.
  • Options
    The earliest I have seen Acura get their new model year in is around late September, early October....
    Mid August is way to soon.....I mean that is in less than a month.....
    Even the Honda's don't start showing up until the early to mid September time frame....
    If anyone finds a 2006 TSX on any lot please post here.....I would be really surprised...
    Although I guess anything is possible...but past history says October....
  • Options
    tsxlonghorntsxlonghorn Member Posts: 13
    When your 3 month trial is almost over, you'll want to take advantage of their "Winback promotion". To get the XM "Winback promotion" which is $77 for a full year (vs. $155), do the following:

1. Call XM Radio at 1-800-967-2346
    2. Press Option 3 for current subscriber
    3. Wait...... (this can take awhile)
    4. Ask to transfer to the Retention department
    5. Wait.....
    6. (*** This one is important ***) You have to sound like you know exactly what your talking about, not that you read online about a promotion. Tell them you recieved a promotional letter with a "Winback" promotion. That you had called before about it but the rep you talked to before told you to call back when your promotion was about to run out before you could add this promotion because you can only have one promotion on, either or. Then tell them you would like to switch to the "winback" promotion. This will lock you into a year of XM radio for only $77.
  • Options
    copseyalcopseyal Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2004, and to my knowledge the random button only works for one CD at a time. It is definitely a bummer, and a slight mod that should be included on future models.
  • Options
    got_vtecgot_vtec Member Posts: 22
    I decided to get a TSX! :shades:

The variety of genres makes XM really nice. Especially if you are not near a huge metro area that has such a wide selection. However, the sound quality is not CD perfect; it's kind of like listening to MP3s, where sometimes it seems great, and sometimes flawed. Even so, I really like the variety, and may end up signing up. Besides, regular FM has its sound quality flaws as well. So, I say, if you enjoy it, go for it. I have been switching between XM, radio, and CD, but with 3 months of free service, I'll have a lot of opportunity to get hooked. I suspect I'll be giving XM a lot of listening.

XM aside, the stock radio is really good. It has an extra amp that has plenty of power (for most of us), and boomy bass that sounds pretty good with techno. No, it's not going to compete with someone's big amp and subs in the trunk, but most people will probably find it more than enough. (I will probably try changing the speakers, as the system could still use some improvement, but it's still far better than most any factory system I've heard)

The interior room is great. The back seat has enough room for us, maybe more than enough. The trunk looks huge, but I haven't taken a lot of advantage of it yet. Lots of room for me; this isn't always the case.

The engine isn't quite as powerful as some of the competition, but seems pretty peppy. Handling isn't as tight and responsive as my Prelude, so I may want to do something with that at some point. Like a lot of the Hondas, the TSX seems to be a compromise where it isn't the most powerful, etc., but it seems to do everything pretty well. It's designed for the real world, for those of us who want to enjoy driving, but also want to save some gas.
  • Options
    drew10drew10 Member Posts: 25
    I was going to buy an '05 TSX this summer, but now I'm thinking maybe I should wait a little longer and buy a '06 TSX. I would expect to get a much better deal on the '05 but would be willing to wait for the '06 if there were going to be some significant changes. Does anyone know what changes to expect in the '06 TSX versus the '05, if any ? Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Congrats!!!! :shades:

What color? Interior?
  • Options
    jaknjakn Member Posts: 1
    Just went to an autocross in D.C. I have a 2004 TSX. Wonder in anyone has experience with it in an autocross and if an known clubs for acura sponsor races. Used to have an RSX type S until a girl talking on a cell phone wit from behind at a stop light. Lost the entire backseat and car was totaled.
  • Options
    pigglespiggles Member Posts: 3
    I was in a dealership about a week ago asking about changes to the 2006 and was told there would be a new body style. Thinking the dealer was on crack since the car is only 2 years old, I called him on it, but he pointed out that it's based on the Euro Accord, which is much older and due for an update. If you check out the NHTSA webpage for the new crash tests, the back end *does* look different on the 2006 if that's in fact what it is. This is the link I have for the pics. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/3430.html It might be the weird camera angle though.
  • Options
    laineylainey Member Posts: 62
    I don't think so. Check out the link below. I was looking for any news on the '06 and found this raffle for an '06 TSX in Palo Alto, CA. This raffle is sponsored by Acura. The model# listed in the fourth paragraph (Model # CL9685JW) is the same as the current '05 model#.

http://www.pvconcours.com/2005sponsors.htm
  • Options
    proffyproffy Member Posts: 46
    I'm glad to see the TSX is getting roughly an extra 15 hp, standard fog lights, and an mp3 player jack. I hope the stereo steering controls allow you to work the your mp3 player. I hope there isn't a substantial price increase.
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    When can we expect to see the 2006 TSX? AND, how much is it going to cost?
  • Options
    proffyproffy Member Posts: 46
    >> AND, how much is it going to cost?

One Meellion Dollars !
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    I might or might not throw this in the Problems and Solutions discussion, but I'm only a *prospective* TSX owner yet...

Anyway, I drove a TSX 6-speed today, and overall was pretty impressed with the car. However, I had a really hard time shifting from 5th to 6th cleanly, like I couldn't hit the gate. Has anyone else found the shifter to be really notchy going into 6th, or is this something possibly unique to the individual vehicle, or was the guy in the driver's seat just paranoid of pushing the shifter too far to the right and catching reverse?

Outside of that (and a dealer that wouldn't talk numbers other than what was on his sticker) I liked the TSX a lot. I was pleasantly surprised by the smoothness and low-end responsiveness of the engine (felt stronger and sounded better than the V6 in the Mazda 6!), and through the first 5 gears the gearbox might be the best I've experienced.

Any words of wisdom to share?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Don't know about the shifting. I test drove one in the city so I don't think I ever got into 6th. If there are no other dealers in the area, bargaining will be harder. Check the buying experiences board. I got an internet quote via email for about $800 below sticker last spring but never pursued it further.
  • Options
    $800 below sticker...as in MSRP...that isn't a reasonable price? Geez...it should be at or below the invoice price.
This discussion has been closed.