Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently leased or purchased a Lexus sedan or SUV? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Wednesday, December 19 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
Have you recently purchased (not leased) a subcompact sedan (such as a Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta)? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Wednesday, December 26 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Acura TSX

Comments

• drewbadrewba Posts: 154
    "As gas prices spiral upward, the "premium for premium" on a percentage basis goes down, so it makes even less sense to be a cheap-skate than it did before!"

While this is true, the stations in my area have started upping the "premium for premium". It used to .20 over regular. Then Shell upped it to .22 a few months ago and now everyone but Arco seems to be charging .21 or .22 more. Percentage wise, that increase doesn't keep up with the total increase in the cost of gas, but it is happening. :mad:
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    "Percentage wise, that increase doesn't keep up with the total increase in the cost of gas, but it is happening."

Let me run the math:

$0.20 / $2.00 gal = 10.00%

$0.22 / $3.00 gal = 7.33%

Sure does appear that the incremental cost is declining as a percentage.
  • drewbadrewba Posts: 154
    That's what I was saying. :confuse:
  • The Official Honda 2006 TSX Release Website. No pricing of course but lots of of pics. I like the refresh alot. I'm iffy on the part of the bumper around the fogs but the side sills look great! :P

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3039
    Thanks for the notification of the images....and here is my take (my opinions):

I really don't like the 2006 exterior refresh. The side sills are much more pronounced...but it just doesn't flow well on the TSX. The sills don't 'flow' into flared fenders like on the TL. Just lacks flow with the rest of the side.

The TSX side is like the BMW 3series..where it is slabbed sided...flush. Then it introduces a sill that looks like an aftermarket add-on. And if you look at the BMW 3...it doesn't have sill flairs. In addition...the TSX sills to me appear to disturb the natural lines.

The front bumper...hmmm...not. It looks too busy near the fog lamps and takes too much attention away from the angular grill. The lower air intake is way too big and wide...and takes away from the shape of the front. The angular grill is one of the most attractive parts of the car...remininscent of an Alfa R.

I also don't care much for the new rims either. Looks like nine spokes...kinda Pontiac-ish.

Any case...my personal opinion. Perhaps my expectation prior to viewing these pictures were set higher.
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    I believe all or almost all the changes listed here a while ago have come to fruition.

While I don't think the new styling is that much more distinctive or attractive (totally subjective), I like the overall changes. A bit more power never hurts. The Bluetooth and AUX port and more up-to-date navi are nice. Memory driver's seat, etc. I do like how the side sills look, actually. Integrated fog lights are also nice to have. Extending the powertrain warranty to 70k miles (and 6 years for low-mileage drivers) is a plus too.

So, I'm happy with the changes. As long as the price increase isn't large!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 100,571
    6yr/70K on the powertrain now... nice...

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kydfx HOST?? Congratulations on the promotion from poster to Host.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    What's bad is, the gas mileage is roughly the same as the much larger 280 HP Toyota Avalon.
  • rko2rko2 Posts: 40
    I like some of the additional features, but I really don't like the exterior changes. Does the front look like a Toyota Solera front to any one else? The front end is now missing the broad and sleek/elegant/powerfull style. I just looks a little cheaper. Maybe I'm alone on this one.

If I didn't have one already and I was looking to get a 2005 or a 2006, I would run out and get a 2005 tomorrow before other people see the new look and 2005s disappear.
    'rko2'...I am with you on your thoughts on the exterior. The 2006 front doesn't have the sharp angular characteristics of the 2005. And yes...like a Solera as you mentiond. The sides sills really look bad to me....just doesn't flow. Almost like a Pontiac GrandAm that has a cheapen after market look. Even like a Sentra which I saw on the road with add-on ground effects.
  • the diesel?
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    Coming in two years.
  • Count me in.

Oil companies in Canada raised gas by 40 cents per L since the storm. That is approximately $1.3 US per gallon, depaite the fact there is no oil shortage here, and the fact that Canada is a large oil exporter. Federal govt wont do anything because their tax revenus is based on a % of selling price. If any otheer industyr gouged people like this, there would be a boycott.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Maybe, but by that time the TSX will be almost due for resdesign, so they could just save it for the replacement model.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    That's exactly when it will be available - although it could happen any time after 6/1/06 - low sulphur diesel availability date.
    Really...I am not bashing diesels.... But a quick question. I am seeing the stations that do carry diesels....selling at a price higher than Premium Unleaded.

Is diesel lower in price in other parts of the country and the world?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 100,571
    I think that is a California thing... especially, since they don't sell new diesel cars there...

In Cincinnati, last week... Regular was $3.09 and diesel was $2.74.. Before the price run-up early last week, diesel was about $0.10 more than regular...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host--Prices Paid Forums

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    to get back to our subject vehicle ...

Thanks.
    New Nose, More Power for '06 TSX

Acura's 2006 TSX sport sedan gets a round of improvements for the coming model year, including a bump in power and a new nose and tail. In terms of power, the TSX's 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine now puts out 205 hp, a 5-hp increase over the previous year's model; it's also governed by a drive-by-wire electronic throttle now, too, which means it is also more tightly integrated with the vehicle's stability control system. A new front bumper sharpens the five-sided Acura grille, and oval foglamps are integrated into the bumper for a new appearance. Deeper side sills and a restyled rear bumper and taillights round out the exterior changes, while inside, the steering wheel controls add a few more functions and the DVD navigation system now has access to Zagat restaurant information, too. The updated TSX goes on sale shortly.
  • I believe the drive-by-wire is not a new 2006 feature, it is on the 2005.
  • Actually I think the throttle was drive-by-wire since the first model year 2004.
  • Indeed it was, much to the chagrin of many TSX drivers.
    'Chagrin'? I find the drive by wire to be excellent. Also...by having the pedal to be 'digital' and not 'mechanical', it allows the various electronics and computers to make the car all that much safer. Allows the 'VSC' stability control systems to perhaps one day save your life.
  • Generally I like its responsiveness, but a slow creep in traffic while in first on a bumpy road you better put the clutch in a bit or it can get a bit touchy. Hope they use high quality components in it though as I would hate the gas pedal to get stuck wide open when you least expect it.
  • Yes, chagrin. Delmar, you have your opinion and I have mine. I frequent TSX enthusiast sites, and meet with fellow TSXers on a regular basis, and believe me there are far more complaints against DBW than favorable comments for.

Overly touchy throttle tip-in and throttle lag are frequent complaints. I crave a return to throttle linkage, or at least a substantial improvement to DBW.

If you prefer to have electronic nannies determine the best course of action in your driving, fine. I like to make my own choices.

I don't see the TSX listed in your profile. Do you even own one?
    Please keep in mind that there is no requirement that folks own a vehicle in order to participate in a discussion about it ...
    First...I was not questioning your opinion and very surprised by your reaction. I was only sharing my personal experience and stating the engineering advancement in terms of its linkage to the vehicle's safety.

You assumed I do not own a TSX as you indicated: "I don't see the TSX listed in your profile. Do you even own one?" .

Thanks for your interest in my profile. My wife and I own a 2005 TSX in Carbon Grey/Quartz to compliment my 2005 TL and 2004 BMW 7series. Profiles on this site only allow for two cars to be listed. Also...even if I did not own one, I could have driven a drive by wire system...which btw is included in the TL and other car.

You also stated: If you prefer to have electronic nannies determine the best course of action in your driving, fine. I like to make my own choices.

Each driver have their own opinions based upon past experiences and driving ability. Some may not like or able to adapt to certain engineering advancement…some do. Otherwise we would all be driving Model Ts.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and experiences. Big question…what do you enjoy about the TSX and what were the deciding factor in your purchase decision?
    I see that 'aquaticexplore' agrees regarding the 'drive by wire throttle'.

For the prospective buyer who may be scratching their heads wondering what the heck are we talking about regarding 'drive by wire throttle'...here is a primer which I robbed from the Acura site:

In most cars, a mechanical cable connects the accelerator pedal to the throttle valve. The TSX uses the all-electronic Drive-by-Wire Throttle System™, first developed for Honda Formula 1 racing engines. It senses accelerator pedal motion, and then a computer weighs this data against vehicle speed and engine data in real time and opens the throttle accordingly. The pedal feel is more direct. Acceleration is smooth from rest and at normal cruising speeds. Because control is more precise, throttle response is quick and sporty. Exhaust emissions are reduced, and performance, as well as fuel economy are improved. Drive-by-wire facilitates communication between the engine and the ABS and Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®), enabling a more coordinated reaction by these systems when they are engaged. In the TSX with automatic transmission, throttle position and shifting are coordinated electronically, so the shift "feel" is more refined

Again...I am not saying that everyone has to like it...and that is ok...but the intent is to develop and make available an advanced feature.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I didn't like the DBW either. I also found the throttle to be overly sensitive at tip-in, which caused the herky-jerkies when trying to creep in stop-and-go traffic in 1st gear (MT only problem). No amount of concentration or right-foot finesse could get a smooth 1st gear creep without feathering the clutch.

The other disadvantage is only a problem for tuners. Remapping the ECU with a user-programmable ECU (such as Hondata's K-Pro) cannot be done without installing a cable, thereby disabling the VSC, speedometer, tach, etc.). Other Honda performance cars such as the RSX and Civic don't have this problem, which is why there are so few engine mods available for the TSX - even after almost 3 years.

Of course, if you have a slushbox TSX and/or aren't interested in modding, DBW is all good.

The throttle response is just one of a number of reasons why I lost my enthusiasm for owning/driving my TSX. Not a big reason, but simply another check in the "don't keep" box. I'm much happier to be back driving a RWD, LSD, throttle cable equipped performance car. YMMV.
This discussion has been closed.