Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "The TSX is on my short list for my next new car as is the Camry."

Now I know I'm not the only one who looked at a TSX but went with the Camry ;)

I loved the TSX 6-sp but thought the auto was a little wimpy. Beautiful interior and nice looking exterior. In the end, the lack of a local dealer and the fact that I didn't want to go back to shifting for myself steered me the the Camry SE-V6.

The Camry has a better ride though gives up some handling prowess. I'm a little disappointed in the highway mileage which is only averaging around 26 mpg. But I love it none the less.
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    I appreciate your thoughts and will consider them. Regarding my experience with the TSX. I drove and owned a '98 Passat V6 before buying the TSX. One of my concerns was the power of the engine, especially when needing to jump from 40 to 70mph in certain highway situations. So far I have been pleasantly surprised. This car is tighter and it's power is sufficient to suit me. Gas mileage is a plus, since I am getting roughly 24 mpg in around town driving and 26-28 in mixed conditions (hway/local). I am taking a 200 mile mostly highway trip in a week, so I am curious to see what kind of mileage per gallon I will get.
    Definitely, the ride is stiffer in the TSX than the Passat, but that is because it is a sports car. I personally did not drive the Camry, but don't think it will be as sporty as the TSX. With all the options included and purchasing the Navigation system, I find the TSX to be extremely good value for the money.
  • copseyalcopseyal Member Posts: 36
    I just rolled up 27K miles on my 2004 TSX, and have nothing but great things to say about the car thus far. As far as the oil changing goes, I have been doing every 5K and rotating the tires ever 10K. The manual actually says it doesn't need the oil changed but every 10K miles for normal driving, and about every 5K I believe for rougher driving. Just been goin with the 5K to this point, but may go to every 3K as the car gets more miles on it. Been having nearly identical fuel mileage as Nyer in my TSX to date. Now if gas could just come down. I paid $2.97 gallon this morning for premium!!! :cry:
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Are you changing your own oil and filter and, if so, how difficult or easy is it?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Changing the oil and filter is quite easy. Getting to them is another story.

Even using a floor jack or ramps, I found there just wasn't really enough clearance between my face and the undercarriage to make oil changes a pleasant experience. This isn't to say it can't be done, it's just a pain in the butt.

I eventually purchased a mid-rise scissors-lift for my garage to make working on my family's cars easier. Here's a photo. A mechanic's creeper makes things easier, too.

In addition to an oil-collection container, you'll want a 10mm socket to remove a small plastic cover beneath the oil pan, and a 14mm (or maybe 17mm) socket to remove the oil drain plug. You'll also want a wad of shop towels to clean up when you remove the filter, which will pretty much drip all over the place, since it's mounted horizontally.
  • scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    I don't know if the TSX engine is exactly the same, but I reach the oil filter on our 99 2.3 CL by removing the left front tire. I can then easily reach up to the filter.
    I just use the jack in the trunk, and then place a jack stand under for safety.
  • wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    Went by a dealer and asked about the 2006 changes i read about on the web, the guy said only color choice is the big change, he knew nothing about any other substantial changes. How do we confirm this besides someone finding a web page that says there will be changes.
  • proffyproffy Member Posts: 46
    Acura and honda have yet to annouce anything. But I've found that generally the dealers don't know crap. Even if they did, they'd still try and get you to buy now.
  • tom_laztom_laz Member Posts: 1
    Considering a black TSX with black interior, looking for opinions from those who have this combo as far as maintenance and overall enjoyment of the look. Initially considered black with parchment, thought it might be harder to keep clean over the winter months.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    As for the 1st oil change within Acuras...you want to adhere to their recommended mileage before performing the initial change. I know that many of you here are saying to do it much soon as that is logical and you had success with other cars...but there is something different with Acuras.

Acuras initial oil fill includes an additive formulated for breaking-in the car (the most critical factor to longevity). You want to allow the additive to perform its duty. Refer to the 'break-in period' secion of the owner's manual...and this was confirmed by the lead service manager at my Acura dealership. Keep it in for closer to the 10k mark...with perhaps changing it at 7.5k if driven harshly or conditions warrant.

After the initial change...I suggest following a more frequent changing schedule...including the change of the oil filter each time.
  • indybobindybob Member Posts: 10
    My wife has Black with parchment interior. Black is hard to keep clean and needs waxing often to look best. As far as the parchment interior goes, if you get the all weather mats the rest is no harder to keep clean than any other color. I use Meguires leather wipes for quick clean ups and in 8 months it still looks great. Black interior is hotter in the summer months. Hope this helps.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    Black is a harder color to keep clean looking, but of the TSX's I've seen, including my SSM, the well-maintained black ones are absolutely the sharpest looking, IMO. Personally, I like the parchment/black combo over black/ebony, but both are definitely nice. :D

Johnny
  • drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    I have an ebony (black) interior and it shows every speck of dust. I'd personally still choose it over parchment, but be prepared to vacuum the interior as often as you wash that black exterior!
  • laineylainey Member Posts: 62
    October R&T has it! Found this pic on another forum. Someone thankfully scanned the mag and posted it. No view of the back though. Like the integrated fogs but don't see much difference other than that. Integrated turn signals now in the mirror?? Maybe the tailights will have a more significant change. Sorry I can't figure out how to insert the pic in the message body.

http://steiner.gamma.timdorr.com/tsx.jpg
  • estinetteestinette Member Posts: 1
    With gas prices sky rocketing, can anyone tell me if the TSX requires premium gas or if it could take regular or plus?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I thought they already had integrated turn signals in the mirror, so that wouldn't be a new feature only for 2006 models.
    I wonder what the fuel economy will be?
    They are currently on the outside. I think on the '06 they are actually IN the mirror glass so only the driver and people behind you can see it.
    At least in this picture, the style of the wheels doesn't look right on the car IMHO.
    Premium grade gas is recommended. However...from other postings above (which you should read...and not just rely on my posting)...mid-grade works well.

Now...for decision making purposes...if you want 'economy'....buy an economy car. For a well balanced sports-luxury....consider a TSX.

Also...people are making too much out of the price difference between premium and regular. If you drive 12,000 miles a year at 25mpg (In reality...you will get about 27+mpg)...you will require 480 gallons. At a $0.20 price difference between premium and regular...you are looking at $96 a year or 52 weeks! Geez...that is $1.82 a week! Just buy one less Cola and enjoy the ride of a sports-luxury vehicle.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    At a $0.20 price difference between premium and regular...you are looking at $96 a year or 52 weeks!

I appreciate the argument. But do you or others you know go slightly out of their way to get gas at Costco, to save less than half that amount? I would buy premium if premium was recommended, but I can understand the desire.
    It would be nice if someone made a car that was both luxurious, quiet and comfortable to ride in, yet also got very high gas mileage. Most high MPG cars are too "cheap" in materials, ride and appearance.
    RX400h gas mileage is not that great. A 40 mpg TSX would be nice.
    But do you or others you know go slightly out of their way to get gas at Costco, to save less than half that amount?

Glad you brought that question up....

Believe it or not...I and many others get different MPG from different grades of gas AND brands.

For cars optimized for premium, you will find the best mpg when the designated gas type is used. Yes...the TSX will run on regular...but it is likely to get about 1 or 2 mpg less. Honest. Read through this (and the TL) board and you will see.

As for Costco gas...I used the premium grade in one of my previous cars (Infiniti). Although Costco is about $0.10 less, the mpg is less..all but negating the cash difference.

Also...I get the best mpg from Chevron and Shell...running under similar driving and road conditions.

What are others thoughts?
    It would be nice to have luxury, comfort, etc...and get high gas mileage. As 307web indicated...sure would be great to get a TSX at 40mpg.

However...this is the issue. The TSX is a 200hp four door sedan that has great utility for the passengers...great fun for the driver....and has a rather sizable trunk. Stack that up and you also get 27mpg mixed driving...and well over 30mpg on the highway. Now to me....the mpg is great for what fun and enjoyment you will receive...while having the ability to purchase a well appointed car for the mid 20k's.

Now...if you want economy...look at what you will find in Europe and Canada:

http://www.smart.com
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    A TSX with the 2.2l iCTDi diesel would get about 50MPG. Look for one at a dealer near you in about 2 years. :shades:
    Here is a dilimma with a diesel...
    1) Total ownership cost may be higher as the diesel car costs more at the time of purchase. Save some minimal gas dollars...pay more for the car...not a receipe for success.
    2) Performance will not compare to a gas engine.
    3) Repairs costs may be higher
    4) More difficult to find a diesel dispenser.

Now...I am not bashing diesel as that may be an alternative. But goes along with what I am saying in the recent posts. People are too focused on marginal incremental costs between fuel types. Save some money on a fuel type but pay more overall costs to own and run the vehicle with less joy.
    A diesel should get more than "minimal" improvement in fuel economy. It may not be cheaper depending on the price premium, but that's not the whole point. I could buy a 5 year old Ford Focus for $5000 and save more money.
    Having a 700 mile cruising range and diesel torque for around town driving would be nice.
    Exactly....I could buy a TSX for the mid-20k's...get great performance, cruise long distances in comfort...and get 32mpg on the highway. I'll drink a few less Starbucks to save some money and enjoy the TSX.

Or as '307web' indicates: I could buy a 5 year old Ford Focus for $5000 and save more money.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    The knowledgeable, if not conventional, wisdom is that cars that are designed to benefit from premium (i.e. high compression and knock sensors optimized for 91 octane) will run on regular without damage, but at a penalty in performance, and perhaps fuel consumption.

So let's think about the penalty in gas mileage for a moment. Back in the day (a year ago) when gas was "only" $1.60/gallon for regular, it was $1.80/gal for premium. So your premium-fuel car that got 30 mpg cost you 6 cents a mile in fuel... and the "break-even" point for using regular was about 27 mpg (26.7 to be exact). Fast forward to now, with premium touching $3/gallon... it's 10 cents a mile... and if regular only costs $2.80/gallon, you need to get at least 28 mpg on regular to break even!

As gas prices spiral upward, the "premium for premium" on a percentage basis goes down, so it makes even less sense to be a cheap-skate than it did before!
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • aquaticexploreaquaticexplore Member Posts: 89
    Although diesel costs more now, who knows about the future. I would trade for the 2.2L diesel in a second. The torque difference will offset the HP loss. In the city, I would prefer torque. It is also amongst the best diesels made anywhere.

Someone above suggested 2 yrs until Honda brings this engine to North America. Is this scuttlebutt or fact? About that time, I may be looking to trade my 04 tsx. If Honda or Lecus IS doesn't offer their Euro diesels, I would consider a diesel Passat, ugly and all.
    diesel costs more now, who knows about the future

Exactly....we don't know the future and by the time the future reaches us, there will be other alternatives away from diesel.

If Honda or Lecus IS doesn't offer their Euro diesels, I would consider a diesel Passat, ugly and all.

I don't drive ugly cars. I don't buy just for a mode of transportation. It is like saying I will buy ugly clothes because it is more economical. Nah...
    "As gas prices spiral upward, the "premium for premium" on a percentage basis goes down, so it makes even less sense to be a cheap-skate than it did before!"

While this is true, the stations in my area have started upping the "premium for premium". It used to .20 over regular. Then Shell upped it to .22 a few months ago and now everyone but Arco seems to be charging .21 or .22 more. Percentage wise, that increase doesn't keep up with the total increase in the cost of gas, but it is happening. :mad:
    "Percentage wise, that increase doesn't keep up with the total increase in the cost of gas, but it is happening."

Let me run the math:

$0.20 / $2.00 gal = 10.00%

$0.22 / $3.00 gal = 7.33%

Sure does appear that the incremental cost is declining as a percentage.
    That's what I was saying. :confuse:
    The Official Honda 2006 TSX Release Website. No pricing of course but lots of of pics. I like the refresh alot. I'm iffy on the part of the bumper around the fogs but the side sills look great! :P

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3039
    Thanks for the notification of the images....and here is my take (my opinions):

I really don't like the 2006 exterior refresh. The side sills are much more pronounced...but it just doesn't flow well on the TSX. The sills don't 'flow' into flared fenders like on the TL. Just lacks flow with the rest of the side.

The TSX side is like the BMW 3series..where it is slabbed sided...flush. Then it introduces a sill that looks like an aftermarket add-on. And if you look at the BMW 3...it doesn't have sill flairs. In addition...the TSX sills to me appear to disturb the natural lines.

The front bumper...hmmm...not. It looks too busy near the fog lamps and takes too much attention away from the angular grill. The lower air intake is way too big and wide...and takes away from the shape of the front. The angular grill is one of the most attractive parts of the car...remininscent of an Alfa R.

I also don't care much for the new rims either. Looks like nine spokes...kinda Pontiac-ish.

Any case...my personal opinion. Perhaps my expectation prior to viewing these pictures were set higher.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I believe all or almost all the changes listed here a while ago have come to fruition.

While I don't think the new styling is that much more distinctive or attractive (totally subjective), I like the overall changes. A bit more power never hurts. The Bluetooth and AUX port and more up-to-date navi are nice. Memory driver's seat, etc. I do like how the side sills look, actually. Integrated fog lights are also nice to have. Extending the powertrain warranty to 70k miles (and 6 years for low-mileage drivers) is a plus too.

So, I'm happy with the changes. As long as the price increase isn't large!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
    6yr/70K on the powertrain now... nice...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    kydfx HOST?? Congratulations on the promotion from poster to Host.
    What's bad is, the gas mileage is roughly the same as the much larger 280 HP Toyota Avalon.
  • rko2rko2 Member Posts: 40
    I like some of the additional features, but I really don't like the exterior changes. Does the front look like a Toyota Solera front to any one else? The front end is now missing the broad and sleek/elegant/powerfull style. I just looks a little cheaper. Maybe I'm alone on this one.

If I didn't have one already and I was looking to get a 2005 or a 2006, I would run out and get a 2005 tomorrow before other people see the new look and 2005s disappear.
    'rko2'...I am with you on your thoughts on the exterior. The 2006 front doesn't have the sharp angular characteristics of the 2005. And yes...like a Solera as you mentiond. The sides sills really look bad to me....just doesn't flow. Almost like a Pontiac GrandAm that has a cheapen after market look. Even like a Sentra which I saw on the road with add-on ground effects.
  • acurasacuras Member Posts: 14
    the diesel?
    Coming in two years.
  • aquaticexploreaquaticexplore Member Posts: 89
    Count me in.

Oil companies in Canada raised gas by 40 cents per L since the storm. That is approximately $1.3 US per gallon, depaite the fact there is no oil shortage here, and the fact that Canada is a large oil exporter. Federal govt wont do anything because their tax revenus is based on a % of selling price. If any otheer industyr gouged people like this, there would be a boycott.
    Maybe, but by that time the TSX will be almost due for resdesign, so they could just save it for the replacement model.
    That's exactly when it will be available - although it could happen any time after 6/1/06 - low sulphur diesel availability date.
    Really...I am not bashing diesels.... But a quick question. I am seeing the stations that do carry diesels....selling at a price higher than Premium Unleaded.

Is diesel lower in price in other parts of the country and the world?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
    I think that is a California thing... especially, since they don't sell new diesel cars there...

In Cincinnati, last week... Regular was $3.09 and diesel was $2.74.. Before the price run-up early last week, diesel was about $0.10 more than regular...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host--Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    to get back to our subject vehicle ...

Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    New Nose, More Power for '06 TSX

Acura's 2006 TSX sport sedan gets a round of improvements for the coming model year, including a bump in power and a new nose and tail. In terms of power, the TSX's 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine now puts out 205 hp, a 5-hp increase over the previous year's model; it's also governed by a drive-by-wire electronic throttle now, too, which means it is also more tightly integrated with the vehicle's stability control system. A new front bumper sharpens the five-sided Acura grille, and oval foglamps are integrated into the bumper for a new appearance. Deeper side sills and a restyled rear bumper and taillights round out the exterior changes, while inside, the steering wheel controls add a few more functions and the DVD navigation system now has access to Zagat restaurant information, too. The updated TSX goes on sale shortly.
This discussion has been closed.