Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX

Comments

• notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    If I didn't care about the handling I wouldn't still be driving an integra, and based on what I read on the honda site the EX V6 has a slightly more tuned suspension. I haven't driven it to compare them, but I think it will be an interesting comparison to do. If it's still too boring then I stay with acura.

I just wish they'd changed the front end - the new back end is nice, but that front end is still bland to me. The new civic definitely looks like its related to the TSX/TL.
  • notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    thanks - I'll head over
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Hey all. I've been lurking on this board for quite a while and haven't posted. I just realized today that edmunds somehow cancelled my subscription to this board.

I've never driven one, but have always admired the TSX. At first I didn't like the rear end styling because it looks too much like a '94 Camry. Overall it is a handsome car and gives you a lot of features. The TSX actually heads the list of cars (along with a Mazda 6s) that will eventually replace my wife's 2000 Protege ES (69,000 miles) sometime in the next 2 years. We're going to try and hold on to the Protege as long as possible due to the fact it is paid off and my wife drives it from our apt. to the train station (3miles per day), but I've already had to replace leaking front struts and some other things that have been thankfuly covered by her extended warranty, but it is making some funky noises and vibrations so this may be the beginning of the end. :cry:

I'm a huge BMW fan, but my wife doesn't need an E90 325i (I do, but that is for another discussion). The TSX will hopefully be a reliable car for her and something entertaining enough for me to drive on the weekends. Right now I'm putting 20K miles per year on my '01 Prelude Type SH.

What changes does Honda have in store for the '06 TSX?

"my favorite handling Honda product is the 5th generation Prelude." Thanks heejoman :D

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• laineylainey Member Posts: 62
    Changes for the '06...here you go...
    http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3039

From what I've been reading, they will not hit the lots until December. :cry:
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    Winter is fast approaching and I was wondering if anyone can inform me about how the TSX does in the snow? Stuff like, how does it handle with the stock tires on it....do the rims get packed with snow because of the wheel spoke design.....what the car looks like after the snow season is over....i.e. is it beat up becasue of the road salt....how about when you drive over those huge chuck of ice on the side of the road....I grew up in the mid-west...have not lived there in 20 plus years....but will be going back late this winter....hate to purchase such a beautiful car and have ol' man winter beat the crap out of it....thanks to all in advance.....
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Anyone care to speculate on whether the Driver's Seat with memory on the 2006 TSX can be retrofitted onto 2005 (and earlier) TSX's? Anyone care to speculate on what it would cost? Anyone care to speculate on how easy/difficult/impossible it might be to match interior colors from one model year to the next?
  • cathy2cathy2 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone with answers to the previous post about the 2005 TSX in the snow/ice??
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you haven't done this, you might try the Search This Discussion box. I don't know whether you'll find answers, but it's worth a try.
    Is this not the Acura TSX discussion box?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Search This Discussion feature (box) is on the right just above the first post and just below the last post on each page.
  • jacque4jacque4 Member Posts: 1
    The TSX is at the top of my short list for purchase within the next few months and would appreciate any observations you might have. First some personal background. Fairly frequently I have to travel by car for busniess (about 1.5 - 2 hours each way), so I need something that will not be brutal for "long" trips. I'd prefer FWD or AWD, but might consider RWD - worried about snow on long business trips. That said, something fun to drive would be nice! I have a bias against European cars (reliability is a #1 criteria for me), so I have narrowed my search between Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus. Looking to spend high 20's to low 30's for a new car.

I thought the IS250AWD or IS250RWD might be a serious competitor for my $, until the MSRP pricing was released. I think the IS250 is probably overpriced for 204 HP and will command near MSRP for at least the rest of this year, so the TSX may be much more bang for the buck. The back seat of the IS250 really sucks from what I have read as well and mine would get occasional use buy adults. That said, I have not done a test drive or sat in a IS250 yet. If anyone here has driven the IS250, I'd like to hear how you think it compares to the TSX.

I would also consider a stripped down G35X if I can get a good deal on one, but the gas mileage is a lot worse with that car. I realize that the G35X may be a "different beast" than the other two but the temptation is there if the price is right.

The TL is at the end of my list, but I may consider it. Correct me if I am wrong, but from what recall reading, the reliability of the TSX & G35X is better than the TL. They are also probably more fun to drive. However, I do think the TL is the best looking and has the nicest interior of the bunch.

Thanks for your imput.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    I have both the TSX and TL. The reliability of a TL will be just fine. The reliability issue which you are referring with the TL was a transmission problem....in the prior generation version...which has been totally redesigned.

As for a two hour trip...I would prefer taking it in a TL versus a TSX. More fun...more comfortable.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I will speculate that it would be difficult to get the parts, and very expensive. Color matching (especially the dark colors) probably wouldn't be to difficult.
  • needforspeed13needforspeed13 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I bought my Acura TSX around 3 months ago and recently drove the car from San Diego to San Jose after which I noticed a few things that seem to have happened during that journey.

First of all, I hear a distinct rattling sound that seems to come from the front passenger door when you are sitting in the drivers seat but from the dashboard (behind the air conditioner exhaust) when you are sitting on the passenger seat.
    The second thing I noticed was a very minor scratch on the leather of the rear seat (i dont know how that happened). It is only on the surface of the leather but still visible.

I went to the Acura service center in Sunnyvale and they told me that they would fix the rattling sound and the scratch. However, according to them, the leather repair would cost me around $150. Do you think it is reasonable???

I would really appreciate a response.

Thanks,
    Guneet
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    No, this isn't reasonable. Assuming these issues were present when you took delivery of the car, they should be covered under warranty. The rattle issue, for sure, is something that has been a problem with some TSX's.

The car you just purchased comes with a 50,000 mile, 4 year warranty. Make them fix it, and definitely don't let them push you around.

Good luck! :shades:
  • sdiver68sdiver68 Member Posts: 125
    The rattles should be fixed. The leather scratch, assuming it was not there at delivery, is not a warranty issue. Maybe visit a leather repair shop and see what their quote is, and there are also DIY leather repair kits and conditioners that may help. If you don't already do so, condition the leather with Lexol every 3 months or so to keep the leather soft and pliant, this will greatly help reduce the chances of scratches, cracks, and wrinkles.
    Hello sdiver68,

Thanks for the response and tips for leather care. I will get an outside quote too and see if that is lesser than the one Acura gave me.

Guneet
    Hi johnny420,

Thanks for the response. The scratch wasnt there when I bought the car (and I bought it brand new) and there wasnt any rattling sound either. It was only after I drove it from San Diego to San Jose that I started getting that sound.
    Anyway, I will see what I can do about the scratch. As someone else advised, I will get a seperate quote and see if acura can reduce theirs.

Thanks again,
    Guneet
  • philliprumansphilliprumans Member Posts: 5
    In the December issue of Motor Trend which just came out, there is an Acura TSX ad on page 60/61 which looks to have an 06 TSX in the pic. It is a side/partial rear pic of the car and it is in a dark color, so it is hard to see body differences, but the wheels look like the pics of the 06 on the Honda/Acura news site. What does anyone else think? Is it an 06 in the pic. If it is, it looks better in this pic, than on the news site.
  • philliprumansphilliprumans Member Posts: 5
    Well it does talk about Bluetooth in the ad, so I think it is an 06.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can anyone advise on how easy/difficult it is to change the oil and oil filter on the TSX? Thanks
    It's not really anymore difficult than other cars, but you'll either have to get the car up on jack stands or gain access to a hydraulic lift. If you're not that big, you may be able to get under the car without raising it. I can't @ 6'1" 200 lbs.

After that, there's an access panel to open to get to the drain plug. You can get the filter from the bottom, too. I reccommend a filter wrench. :shades:
  • harrybush00harrybush00 Member Posts: 76
    I just test drove the IS250 at the Lexus driving event and I came away pretty impressed. It was equipped with the 6sp auto (all cars at the event were autos) with possibly the premium pkg. and navi system. The track they set up for the IS and the BMW 330i had some straight away for acceleration followed by some small turns and then a fairly sharp U-turn to come back to the boarding area. I was able to snap out the rear end of the car at this U-turn and power out (so this is what rwd is good for). I thought theh 2.5L V6 would be weak with the auto but I thought it had pretty decent power through the rev range, with the exception of off the line acceleration.

Anywho, I just want to get some opinions on this comparison. The Lexus does have a higher sticker price, but I suspect by next summer, you might be able to deal down near invoice, which makes it pretty close to the TSX in price (maybe $1 or 2 grand more?). The way I see it, the extra dough goes to a better looking exterior and at least as good an interior, if not better than the TSX's, some cool, but expensive optional features not available on the TSX, such as backup camera, MP3 player aux input, and 18" rims, not to mention a bit more power (probably offset by the higher weight), better gas mileage (with the auto), and better dealer services. Any thoughts?
  • toscitosci Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know when the 2006 TSX will be available? Any word on pricing?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The way I see it, the extra dough goes to a better looking exterior and at least as good an interior, if not better than the TSX's, some cool, but expensive optional features not available on the TSX, such as backup camera, MP3 player aux input, and 18" rims, not to mention a bit more power ...

The 2006 TSX has an aux jack to plug in an MP3 player.
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    Well right now I am really really interested in the TSX without a doubt but my mind is more on the Lexus IS 350. Well my question is to EVERYONE is that what are some pros and cons about this car. Since if I do get some good feedback I will for sure buy the TSX. And this might have been answered but is there a 2006 TSX?(and whats new about it.) Since I havent been caught up lately (Oh and Johnny420 I would especially like your feedback since I read your post over the Lexus vs. BMW and I liked what you said.)!!
    I think comparing the TSX to the IS350 would be a bit unfair as there is about a $10K difference in price between the two cars. With that said, I think the handling limits will be quite similar between the two cars, but there is a major discepancy in the straightline performance, especially if you want the 5sp auto in the TSX (0-60mph in ~8.5sec. for the auto TSX, but a blazing 5.3sec. for the IS). Other than the performance numbers, I think these cars are on par with a lot of the luxury features. As I mentioned before, there are some features on the IS that are optional that aren't offered in the TSX. For the money, I think the TSX is a very nice car, but you might be comparing apples to oranges on this one.
    Pricing is out on the Acura.com website as of an hour ago!!! Kind of a bigger increase than I expected for some reason. $27,890 non-navi MSRP, $29,890 navi MSRP...plus the increase in destination from $570 to $615! $745 more! I'll probably get one anyway because I actually like the refresh alot.
    :surprise:
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Yeah, that $750 gets you more horsepower and torque, electronic brake assist, standard fog lights, 2-position memory driver seat w/power lumbar adjust, power passenger seat, aux audio jack, new colors, redesigned front/rear fascias, new wheels. Don't forget all the subtle chasis inprovements designed to reduce noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).

I'd say $750 is a bargain.
    Tosci, '06 TSX's should be on the lots today. Pricing is available on Acura's website, or about three posts down from yours. ;)
    I agree, it is a great bargain for all of the awesome extras! I can't wait to see it in person! I've already got my loan approved. Hopefully I'll be in a shiny new TSX by the end of the year!
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    I also went to the taste of Lexus - the IS350 is almost enough to make me drive an automatic. :)

I love the TSX, but it is in no way comparable to the IS350, and against the IS250 I still think the Lexus is ahead. But personally, I love to shift so much that the TSX wins, anyway....the IS250 manual was not as "slick". Also, to get the same stuff in the IS250 as the 2006 TSX is about $4k more.

My major differences between the two are:

1. the doors and especially the trunk on the TSX are just cheap feeling/sounding. And the noise insulation is crappy compared to my 10 year old Volvo.

2. the stock tires/brakes on the TSX (like all normal trim Hondas) are a joke. I have owned 7 Honda products and if I were queen for a day this would be the first thing I would change! Well, actually it IS the first thing I change when I buy a new car.

3. goodies on the IS - ventilated seats, key, etc. But no XM yet?

4. these are sedans - why can't you sit in the back of the IS? :mad: No leg room whatsoever.

5. Just stating the obvious here, only people who keep their foot on the floor will be happy with the power in the TSX compared to the 6cyl in the IS250.

I am in no way a fan of Toyota products (except the little trucks, I love those) - Hondas have always felt more sporting and "fun to drive". But since I am apparently the only person remaining that think a sports sedan means I should be rowing the gears, I will admit that Lexus definitely has a home run here. If I could get an IS350 with a manual, I would cut someone a very good deal on my TSX.
    I'd like to see the new Deep Green Pearl w/parchment color combination in person. I might like it even more than my current (perpetual) favorite, Milano Red.
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    Hey thanks alot! Yeah I was some what thinkng to buy a TSX since at the same time my older is going to buy her TL and told me "why not buy that TSX, its cute! lol :blush: So yeah but I am waiting for the IS 350 convertible to come next summer and by then I hope to decide what car to drive. Thanks!
    Hey folks, just thought I'd mention that Acura has updated their website and transformed it into a very nice flash website. It's got all the information on the '06 TSX plus new pictures and virtual tour of the TSX. With the new features, it looks like Acura has done a much better job of enticing us buyers. I also like how they included a lot of standard features that are not available in its Accord cousins to further differentiate itself. I still wish Acura did more of a cosmetic make over to make the TSX flashier and tell the rest of the world that it's not just a shortened version of the Accord.
    I am in no way a fan of Toyota products (except the little trucks, I love those) - Hondas have always felt more sporting and "fun to drive". But since I am apparently the only person remaining that think a sports sedan means I should be rowing the gears, I will admit that Lexus definitely has a home run here. If I could get an IS350 with a manual, I would cut someone a very good deal on my TSX.

No, you're definitely not the only one. If Lexus has sporting intentions for the IS350, then the lack of a manual tranny is curious at best.

This continuing comparison of a ~$28,000 car (TSX) with a ~$40,000 car (IS350) seems strange to me. Completely different price point. Compare the IS to the excellent new E90 and you're talking apples to apples. I still say that, for the money, the TSX is tough to beat, especially in its latest version.

OK. The TSX doors don't sound like a bank vault when you close them. So what? They're certainly not as bad you make them out to be. All I know is, after two years, I still really look forward to driving my car. Driving, not slamming the doors or boot.

The TSX fills a market niche, and fills it very well. For drivers seeking something to satisfy their desire for spirited excursions, with a dash of sedan practicality thrown in, the TSX cannot be beat at its price point. I think any marque would be happy if they could achieve this. :shades:
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    I think all of my points apply to the $30k IS250. Regardless, when I bought the TSX, I DID compare it to $40k cars - and if I could have seen the time/money being available to maintain a 330 I would have bought that. I'm really happy with the TSX, and if they put a stick in the IS350, my husband will be really happy to inherit it. ;)
  • dabeasdabeas Member Posts: 8
    I heartily agree with fedlawman. I test drove the manual '05 TSX and loved everything about the car except for shifter which seemed notchy. It was difficult to get smooth upshifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. The '06 website seems to suggest that the manual transmission has been reworked. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
    As I understand it, nothing has changed for the MT for '06. Since the TSX MT is universally acclaimed as one of the best available, you are in a small minority of folks who find it notchy.

If it was notchy, it will only get better as the car is run in. At 12,800 miles, mine is as smooth as silk. It was never notchy, though. I've never rowed a tranny like it.

I do agree about the 1-2 shift. It's a bit tricky until you get used to it, due as much to gearing ratios as anything, I suspect. :shades:
  • toscitosci Member Posts: 18
    I went to an Acura dealership on Saturday and was told that the new 2006 TSX will not be on dealer lots until the 1st or 2nd week of December. Does anyone know if this is correct, or is it specific to Southern California, because I thought they were suppose to be on the dealer lots on Nov. 9th?
    It appears the same thing is happening in the Seattle area. I also thought we'd see them 11/9, but I've yet to see any on the local lots, and I've been looking. Haven't asked a dealer directly, though, 'cause I can't stand talking to them.

Maybe early December is more realistic.
    This is just my .02....

I have owned two of the TSX's....04 and an 05....long story...anyhoo....I was really impressed with this car....power, all the standard features....best money can buy.....the 200 hp was quite good....but you must not be afraid to press the gas pedal until the power band kicked in....everything was pretty solid on the TSX.....
    Now the bad....about the only real problem I had in both cars was some serious rattles....now, having said that I am not a real picky person....but having spent that kind of money on a luxury line car you would think they can do better....especially since these cars are made in Japan...
    Look on the problems board for the TSX....rattles everywhere...some are getting fixed....some are not....

Two days ago I test drove both the IS250 and the IS350....and to sum it up in one word.....WOW!!!!!!!!
    Pure luxury.....the 250 has okay power....like the TSX you have to remember to push down the gas pedal...don't be shy!
    The IS350...is a whole new beast! Power, Power, Power....smooth!!!! The one major drawback is price....they have an extreme mark up on these cars....invoice to MSRP (about $4K)....they are hot sellers now since they just came out.....prices will fall once it has been out a while.....in the IS...forget about the back seat unless you only plan on having kids ride in the back....it is not a family car.....but for me, I have an SUV for that...the TSX can be somewhat of a family car....so that's one up for the TSX....plus Acura's come well equiped from the get go.....another one up for the TSX....
    Bottom line is this....I really like Acura line allot....BUT the IS250....against the TSX.....I will take the Lexus....more $$$$ I know....but if your going to spend that kind of money on a car you should be totally satisfied.....Now the IS can have some problems down the road as all new re-models have....how bad they are....time will tell......Even the TL has had some real issues for the past couple of years.....so it looks like Lexus is going to get my $$$$ this time (all be it....more $$$$).
    But I still like the Acura line...Acura or Lexus....can't go wrong either way......again, just my .02
  • texasmerqtexasmerq Member Posts: 86
    If the TSX and the IS250 were equally priced, then I personally would probably go with the IS250 myself. As it stands now the IS250 is about $7K-9K more expensive when equipped the same way as a TSX. IMO the price to performance difference isn't worth it nor is the "Toyota reliability" factor. These are all very good cars and the faults are generally overstated and exaggerated IMO on the forums. The TSX probably performs a bit better while the IS250 has a few extra luxury features.

Comparing a IS350 to the TSX is no comparison though. In performance is blows it away in pretty much every area more likely than not. A more fair comparison to the IS350 would be a Infiniti G35, MB C350, BMW 330i, or even the TL if you require interior space. They all of course command similar prices as well.
  • peaches63peaches63 Member Posts: 9
    Hello, I'm from the Chicago area and I called 3 suburban dealers today to find out when the 2006 TSX will be at the dealerships. I was told sometime in December=no specific date. I've decided to wait until after winter probably March to buy my 2006 TSX ;) Does anyone think I'll be able to get invoice pricing in 3-4 months on the 06 TSX :confuse:
  • peaches63peaches63 Member Posts: 9
    I check the TSX Central page everyday and the 2006 TSX is finally posted!! :D This brightened my evening because I took it as a sign that the 06's should arrive at the dealerships soon. I'm looking forward to test driving the 2006 TSX :shades:
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    And right now the IS250 is about the cheapest way to get an imported RWD sport sedan right now. Whether you like the price or not, there no cheaper way to get there.
    It's really sad that the only RWD performance sedans on the market are soft and overweight luxury cars.

If you want RWD performance and a back seat, BMW and Lexus are the only game in town - and both cars are about 500 lbs. too heavy and $5000 too expensive.

If someone would build a modern day Ford Cortina or Datsun 510, it would sell like hot cakes.

How about a RWD only Subaru WRX? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    You left out the G35.. but, I agree with everything you said...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lilredcorvtlilredcorvt Member Posts: 21
    I'm in the same situation, I'll wait until around March/April 2006 time frame to look/buy a 2006 TSX. A check on the 2 dealersahip in my area so far no 2006 TSX in their inventory. I'll just have to wait...
    You're correct. I did forget the G35.
This discussion has been closed.