Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TSX

Comments

• Options
    rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    I've heard that Acura plans to introduce a 2door TSX coupe and a convertible sometime around the 2008 model year. Anyone have any information about this?
  • Options
    laineylainey Member Posts: 62
    I have seen a pic of the '04 or '05 Euro Accord 2 door coupe on another forum and it's awkward looking. It looks like they took the 4 door, removed the rear doors and maybe added an inch or two to the length of the front doors. The car stayed the same length so it looks like someone just forgot the rear doors and sheetmetaled the opening. :confuse: Weird looking. Of course I can't find the pics to post but will keep searching. There is supposed to be a redesign in 2008 so I hope they do a better job with the door length:body ratio.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    That must've been a photoshop. AFAIK, the euro Accord only comes in 4 dr or wagon variants.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    But it's a little larger than I'd like.

I also agree about the lack of "cheap" RWD platforms though. The good ole days of the RWD Corolla/RX3/510 etc are gone.

But the weight isn't gonna change. Blame it on the safety/emissions equipment. That stuff ain't light.
  • Options
    peaches63peaches63 Member Posts: 9
    Why are the 2004-2006 pictures on the TSX Central page gone :confuse: Also, does anyone know why Acura doesn't offer the 2006 TSX in the gold color?
  • Options
    johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    Sorry, Peaches, you get what you get from Acura with regard to colors.

What good would it do you to know why they don't offer a particular color? You still won't be able to get it. :P
  • Options
    peaches63peaches63 Member Posts: 9
    Since it's taking a long time for the 2006 TSX to arrive to the dealerships, was it the same last year for the 05 models? Does anyone know which month the 2005 TSX arrived at the dealerships last year? :confuse: FYI, the link and pictures for 2004-2006 models are back on the TSX Central page ;)
  • Options
    toyotaf1fantoyotaf1fan Member Posts: 37
    How much more power does the 2006 model have compared to the 2005?
  • Options
    joemalejoemale Member Posts: 28
    The quote for horsepower is 205, though using previous
    horsepower calculations, the difference in horsepower
    is really 10, not 5, as the old model would now be rated

I saw a TSX 06 in Redwood City, CA.
    No real differences are noticeable except the fog lights.
    Nice car. But I'm wondering if the IS250 is actually
    a better value, being a 6 cylinder, new desirable model,
    rear drive, etc.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    I really dig the changes Acura made to the TSX for '06, except the wheels (not exactly my cup of tea). I went to "build my own" TSX and fell in love with the 17" Silver Star wheels! IMO they really make the exterior of the car look that much better! Not that I'm in the market or anything, but what is the concensus on Spoiler vs. No Spoiler?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    I'm fully on the side of no spoiler. This is a sporty entry-level luxury car and a spoiler makes it look too boy-racerish.
  • Options
    suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    Did not fully understood what you meant when you said "too boy-racerish" but adding the rear spoiler takes away the luxury look out of it (Which hardly has any on the ext.) Dont get me wrong the TSX is a wonderful car but they should have done more work on the exterior which is the only flaw in my opinion! But adding the A-Spec kit is perfect if your into the whole drag racing look, so if that flows your boat go for it! One thing adding all that will cost 34K since you can get a 2006 TL for that price with a Nav! Well good luck in purchasing your Acura! :)
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I test drove the TSX the other day and I loved the car except for the harsh ride on uneven or rough roads. Is there another tire that would give a better ride or is it just the suspension on the TSX? Any opinions?
  • Options
    I basically meant that a spoiler takes away from the luxury look of it, as you stated.
  • Options
    It definitely has a sporty ride, but I wouldn't call it harsh.

Make sure that the tire pressure isn't too high. The car ships with tire pressure much higher than spec to prevent flat spots from developing during shipping. If the dealer didn't reduce the pressure, that would contribute to a harsh ride.
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    No one knows the HP figure of the 05 using the new measuring method. The dyno tests on the 06 would suggest that the HP bump is more than 10HP and the HP/tq curve have been changed considerably.

The IS250 will probably never be a better value - it will have features that may be desireable. I wouldn't care if the 200 or so HP both cars have came from a 1 or 2 or 5 cyl engine as long as it performed well. ;)
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I test drove the TSX the other day and I loved the car except for the harsh ride on uneven or rough roads.

Over-inflated tires would definitely add to the harshness of the ride. Properly inflated, the standard Michelins ride well, especially considering the sporty nature of the TSX.

Remember though that the TSX is a sport sedan, and will definitely seem harsh when compared to soft cars like the Camry or ES330.
  • Options
    I wouldn't care if the 200 or so HP both cars have came from a 1 or 2 or 5 cyl engine as long as it performed well.

Both cars share similar HP and TQ, but the Lexus weighs some 200 lbs more than the Acura. On paper at least (poor power:weight, numb oveboosted steering, etc.), the IS250 doesn't look like much of a performance car to me.

Actually, it seems more like an IS350 sales aid ("No sir, it's not very quick, but it's only the entry level model. For just a few dollars more, I have something over here that'll knock your socks off. What color were you thinking of?").
  • Options
    Considering the TSX is FWD, there are many people that question it's performance credential vs. the RWD IS. Additionally, there are slower cars that handle better and faster cars that handle worse than the TSX. "Performance" is in the "butt of the beholder".

As much of a Honda fan as I have been for the past few years, I'd take the IS over the TSX. Especially now that they have totally messed up the front end of the TSX with those ugly afterthought looking fog lights.

There is lot more substance in the IS than just the performance numbers. When you compare other RWD $30K sedans for performance/interior quality/amenities/dependability history, the IS is almost a steal.
  • Options
    Considering the TSX is FWD, there are many people that question it's performance credential vs. the RWD IS.

Sports car enthusiasts will definitely take drivetrain layout (FWD vs RWD) into consideration. However, surely you agree that 95% of shoppers in this segment care more about having a reverse-tilting mirror than the ability to induce oversteer with trailing throttle.

I'll reserve final judgement until I actually drive the IS, but on paper I have to say that it probably doesn't handle any better than the TSX, and it's power:weight is sub-par to justify it's $3000 premium over the TSX.

I do agree that I think the IS looks classier and likely has superior build and material quality.
  • Options
    That $3000 can also be attributed to the IS's not having 20 other high volume models built off it's platform like the G35 and TSX.

Might also be attributed to the fact that its interior doesn't look identical to a model on a lower rung branch of the brand. Not to mention that other model has a V6 that would clean the TSX's clock. AND that V6 is now available with a 6 speed manual.

That $3000 premium can be attributed to many other aspects of the car other than just the handling or power-to-weight ratio. I mean the C-Class is even more expensive than the IS with very similar power numbers.
  • Options
    The actual cost to make the IS for Toyota is probably not much more than the TSX for Honda. The only diff is the markup from cost they can command.

As an auto enthusiast the RWD advantage is worth about $1-2K to me - all other things being equal.
  • Options
    Cost to make the car is one thing. Developement cost is another. The TSX, Accord, TL and even the RL all share the same platform and the Accord sells around 400k a year in the U.S. alone. The IS has no other high volume model to share developement costs with. That's why I included the G35 when I mentioned cars with many platform mates. Nissan uses that 3.5L V6 and platform for many different models. And the price shows. The IS250's engine is only used in that car in the U.S. and the platform is only shared with the GS. So far.

Also, if the RWD advantage is worth $1-2K, would it be safe to assume the V6 would be worth another $1-2K? Even if not, I bet it would cost at least that much more if Acura decided to include a low displacement V6 instead of the I4 in the TSX.
  • Options
    Lightweight? High rev limit? Flat torque curve? Smooth delivery? Quick revving?

In the realm of 2.4L/2.5L engines, the TSX's K24A2 is pretty much as good as it gets - regardless of the number of cylinders.

The TSX is exactly as it should be. Light, nimble, responsive, tossable, and fun-to-drive. Slick transmission, responsive steering - I think a V6 would change the character of the TSX for the worse.

There's a reason why in 1988-1990, the E30 M3 was so much more desirable than the 325i. This is how I think of the TSX vs. the IS250.
  • Options
    These are two terrific entry-lux sedans that are pretty comparable yet possess pretty different characters and capabilities.

I've created a topic to address this comparison...

fedlawman, "TSX vs. IS250" #1, 5 Dec 2005 10:13 pm
  • Options
    What kind of mpg are you getting on your TSX?
  • Options
    I never kept track of mpg when I owned it.
  • Options
    I did not realize that you sold it. Why?
  • Options
    I caught the track bug a couple years ago when I brought my TSX out to Pacific Raceways for a BMWCCA HPDE.

Once I became more serious about (addicted to) high performance driving and increasing my skill level, I decided to get a car that was better suited as a driving school/track prepared car (light weight, balanced chassis, RWD, simple/cheap to maintain, etc.).

Since I drive a company car during the week, it was easy for me to sacrifice the TSX's luxury and comfort.

I decided to seek out a BMW E30 325i and last June, I found a really pampered 1988 325is:

And a link to my cockpit video of one lap around Pacific Raceways with me and my E30:

http://home.comcast.net/~fishkin1/wsb/media/SIR_Lapping_2.mpg
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    That is just awesome...

I am so jealous...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You keep saying that. Thank you... :blush:

As a side benefit, I'm also growing more enthusiastic about another hobby I'm now enjoying - basic auto maintenance.

It's fun to get the Bentley Manual and a few simple tools and perform basic electrical repairs (window switch and cruise control so far) and change your own brake pads/rotors, brake fluid, oil/filter, etc.

I'm learning more about my car and getting a deeper understanding of how the parts make up the whole - which I think will also make me a better driver. I should have done this years ago...

I take it you haven't found that special 318i yet?
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    If you get any more enthusiastic about DIY auto maintenance, you might find one of these useful:

;) Looks like you've got ample garage space for one! :shades:

I used to use basic auto ramps to change the oil on my TSX, but even with the ramps, there was barely enough clearance for me to slide under the car on my creeper and easily drain the oil and reach the oil filter.

Now, stuff like oil and tranny fluid changes, suspension work, brake jobs, and tire rotations are a breeze. It cost me just under $1500 (got it at asedeals.com), and I figure it's paid for itself already.
  • Options
    No... and, now that the wife has a new car.. I may be "looking" for a long time..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I must admit, when I try to imagine your disappointment, all I see is you behind the wheel of a 330Ci - smiling.
  • Options
    Yeah.. but, that is the wife's car...

And.. amazingly enough... since it snowed 4" last night.. She has left for work, and the convertible is still in the garage..

So, today.. I get to drive it..

No matter.. in four years, my son turns 16, and we'll be driving beaters until he gets out of college and off of our insurance... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    Yesterday I drove my TSX home in a raging snowstorm. It was lightyears better than my Accord V6 in the snow. The VSA and the manumatic made all the difference.
  • Options
    speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I am still in my honeymoon, with my '06 black TSX. I love the features and the small premium I paid vs. an '05 are well worth it. The handsfree system is awesome, memory seats means no more adjusting seats after my wife drives it. The car is fun to drive, a great bargain, and very luxurious.

On the down side:

I have to buy a new cell phone!!. My Palm Treo 600 does not support Bluetooth. I am thinking of upgrading to the Treo 650, but have heard that Acura's Handsfree does not support the 650 using Cingular. Any help here from Bluetooth gurus out there would be appreciated.
  • Options
    notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    I needed to ugrade my phone recently and wanted bluetooth (tho it's not yet paired w/ any car) I have the LG VX8100 and it has great reception thru verizon. I also have a plantronics bluetooth headset that I use and it works really well.
  • Options
    arcticf7arcticf7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently thinking about purchasing a TSX, but I noticed that it uses premium fuel.

I put a lot of miles on my cars and if I have to put premium in, I'm going to have to axe it from my list.

Some cars that I have read about recommend premium, but upon slight knock/detonation, the computer backs off the timing and you end up with a few less hp. Is this true of the TSX, or does it have a "dumber" system?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    in addition to the knock/detonation that ends you up with a few less hp, you will also certainly get worse gas mileage which will pretty much negate the fact that you use regular instead of super. Premium is $.20 more per gallon than regular. You're pinching pennies here.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    In general, if a car was meant to have a certain grade of fuel, put in a lesser/cheaper grade does not get you any overall savings.

If milage on regular grade gas is your main priority stay away from any of the luxury makes or higher performance engine equiped cars - they all use premium.

Having said all of that - you will be hard pressed to find many other cars with the combination of performance, reliability and overall fuel cost as the TSX.
  • Options
    jordan5cyljordan5cyl Member Posts: 7
    As far as I know, every premium make requires premium fuel. The reason being is they try to get everything they can out of the engine (easiest with higher octane). So you won't have any better luck in an Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, or Lexus. They all use premium fuel.

If you want something that uses regular fuel, you're better off getting a 4-cylinder Accord EX-L (166hp).
  • Options
    notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    The 6cyl Accord EX uses regular as well
  • Options
    ipodgirlipodgirl Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of purchasing as new 06 TSX in the next few days. I wanted to know if anyone
    out there has gotten their ipod to work? Does the dealer provide the cable? Also, how has your experience been with the car and all the features, blue tooth etc.
  • Options
    tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    Be aware that for 2006 Acura has greatly reworded that premium is required anything less will cause engine damage.
    I suspect performance pump has made premium mandatory to the tune that sensors cannot degrade performance enought to compensate. With that warning who would use less. The old warning was regular OK but will degraded performance. Not anymore. Got info from 2006 Brochure.
  • Options
    That's what happens when lawyers get involved.
  • Options
    thusrtonpthusrtonp Member Posts: 23
    I use a tank of gas a week in my TSX driving about 350 miles - burning about 15 gallons. Using premium vs. regular unleaded gas costs me about $3.00 more per tank. That's $156 more per year.

That's $13 per month, or pocket change - viewed in the context of a $27K car....
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    My sentiments exactly.

If 87 octane cost only $1.00 and 91 were $1.20 then buying premium be more of an issue, but alas, we don't have to worry about that now, do we? ;)
  • Options
    cubby10cubby10 Member Posts: 2
    My buddy has a 2004 TSX. The lease expires in May and he offered to sell it to me. What is a conservative purchase price if the car has 21,000 miles and all the goodies? I was thinking of buying a new (manual tran) from the dealer also. Any advice on a reasonable price would help a great deal.
  • Options
    It's up to the leasing company to sell it to you - your buddy doesn't own the car. The offer would have to be to the leasing company - just ask what the residual is to get an idea for the price.
    If he owned the car a reasonable price would be 1/2 way between trade-in and private sale price on KBB or NADA.
This discussion has been closed.