Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TSX

Comments

• Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    The leasee would have to buy the car at the residual and then resell it to his friend. Not sure, but I think in this situation, each has to pay sales tax so the state is the big winner!
  • Options
    stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    To avoid the double tax have a dealer do the transaction for you. Most will do it for a small fee $200-$250. Some will do it free if the leasee is buying a car from them at the same time.
  • Options
    brownsugarbrownsugar Member Posts: 1
    I'm want to purchase a new automatic 2006 tsx within the next few months. Can any new TSX owners tell me what's a good price to pay for one? (Navigation isn't important) I'm a female and most car salesman try to take advantage of women.
  • Options
    tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    I ran into this situation when I bought a TSX from a guy who just came to States from HI. A 2004 manual with 17k mi.
    Two years old--hard short trips I would recon but nice overall. Anyway a lease and each state is different. In HI, owners name is registered owner adn title shows lien holder as Honda. So when he paid it off, Honda sent title, with lien removed and he as able to sign to me. HI does not tax sales but you pay hefty reg fee based on weight each year. I believe in many states you would have to use a dealer to avoid the double tax. Leasing is always bad. Honda's leadership purchase gives all same benefits with now lease hang ups.
    I would pay for a nice TSX 20,000 for manual with 20k miles or 20,500 for an automatic assuming no problems--and those are real high prices. Wonder what a residual value was three years ago. 3 yr leases will be up soon and market price will go down.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi brownsugar, welcome! Let me give you links to a few of our resources that should help you out.

First, you should have a look at the posts in the Acura TSX: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. There's a search box just above the first post and just below the last one that should help you.

Also, we have numerous helpful consumer discussions ocurring over on our Smart Shopper board. And there are lots of good articles and tips here: Edmunds.com Tips & Advice.

Enjoy! Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
  • Options
    tcwattcwat Member Posts: 10
    Don't forget that the prices are higher during the first month the new model is on sale. By waiting a few months, you should pay less. And try to negotiate online or with a female salesman, that should help avoid the "mere woman buyer" syndrome.
  • Options
    dc_davedc_dave Member Posts: 52
    Anyone use their iPod on the new 2006 TSX yet? I'm wondering how it works and what equipment is needed??

Dave in VA
  • Options
    crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Just get a stereo patch cord (WalMart, Target, etc., about $5) and run it from the headphone jack of iPod (or anything else) to the radio's auxillary jack. Hit the AUX button on the radio. At least this is how it works on my new Civic.
  • Options
    bz2bz2 Member Posts: 15
    I sat in a new 2006 TSX but couldn't find the aux connector. where is it?
  • Options
    Sorry, but I don't know, since I don't actually have the car (almost got one for my wife). On the Civic it's behind a little door under the radio. Just looks like a headphone jack. I think there's one there somewhere.
  • Options
    Just checked Acura website. Says it's inside front center console. Picture looks like a little grey door marked AUX.
  • Options
    vanfanielvanfaniel Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys,

I got my TSX serviced at my local dealership today. I thought there were problems, but apparently there weren't any. I was just wondering, if there is no charge but they inspect your car, do you usually tip the guy? The mechanic who inspected my car wasn't there though, but the "service advisor" was. Just wanted to know if tipping service advisors and mechanics are customary?

Thanks,
    Brian
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I do not have any advise on tipping but I just wondered how you like your TSX? How long have you had it? Is it an auto or MT? MPG? The TSX is one of the vehicles that I am considering.
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I've never tipped anyone at a car dealer or auto-repair facility before. And I don't think they expect it, either (unlike a restaurant server or taxi driver).

However, one time, I was so pleased with work done (some of it free) by my dealer's service dept. I went and bought $20 of gift certificates at a nearby In 'N Out Burger and gave it to the service advisor to share with the mechanics who worked on my vehicle.

Bottom line- I think tipping in this case is just that- a tip, not an obligation.

Enjoy your TSX!
  • Options
    lutwaklutwak Member Posts: 7
    The "aux" input must be a 2006 feature. My 2005 TSX doesn't have one.
  • Options
    iwantvteciwantvtec Member Posts: 5
    is anyone else wondering if the 240hp/260 lb/tq(SAE) 2.3 turbo debuting in the RDX will make it to the next TSX? i am! I feel it would keep the theme of the TSX without upstaging the TL and wouldn't do more than give it a 0-60 time of the mid 6s roughly; which is dramatically faster than the 2004-2006s we know today. any thoughts? i for one am excited acura is leveling the playing field without playing cylinder count.
  • Options
    johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    The speculation about such a possibility is rampant at TSX sites around the web. SH-AWD has also been mentioned as a possibility. It would address one of the biggest beefs some have about present-gen TSX's: the perceived lack of power and torque.

Of course, there's been zero firm evidence to support such speculation, but it's mighty fun to dream :shades:

One thing is for sure. Come model year 2008 some big changes are in the offing for the TSX.
  • Options
    Aux input wasn't available 'til this model year.
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Come model year 2008 some big changes are in the offing for the TSX.

Time for a "2008 TSX" thread?
  • Options
    halpalhalpal Member Posts: 2
    I want to thank Edmunds and those commenting in the Forum for their help in my car-buying process.

After ruling out a lot of cars, I have narrowed my choice to an Acura TSX or a BMW 325xi. On a bad day I can't get out of my neighborhood or around town with RWD, so I need FWD or AWD. I have also concluded, with some sadness, that automatic transmission makes more sense for me. I currently plan to buy and not to lease.

I realize that I am comparing FWD and AWD. I also realize that even with a fairly bare-bones 325xi (e.g. no premium package or Bluetooth), the TSX is still several thousand dollars less. The TSX is a great value and a fun car. The BMW is a very solid car and somewhat more fun. (My opinions.) The Acura is perceived by many to have greater reliability and a lower cost of ownership. However, the 325xi's warranty is a counter-balance, at least for the duration of the warranty period, after which some suggest getting rid of the car.

Why pay more for the 325xi? Why pay less for the TSX? Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "On a bad day I can't get out of my neighborhood or around town with RWD, so I need FWD or AWD."

Maybe you can expand on this a little bit?

If you get a lot of snowfall where you live, neither the TSX nor the 325i are a good year-round choice. They both have sporty suspensions which result in limited ground clearance.

Maybe a small, semi-sporty SUV like the Toyota RAV4 would be a better choice for you? Initial reviews indicate it's nimble and fun to drive, and it has significantly more power than both the Acura and Bimmer.
  • Options
    halpalhalpal Member Posts: 2
    Snow is not so much a problem as sleet and ice. However, when we do get snow it takes a while to get the streets cleaned. Besides I'm trying to avoid having another SUV in the family!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,201
    The TSX, while being FWD, has fairly wide performance all-season rubber, and is not exactly a champ at winter weather traction.. The 325xi would be much better, due to the AWD.. I'd even take a RWD 325i with winter tires over a TSX with the stock all-seasons...

But, if winter weather is your biggest concern, I'd probably go with a Subaru Legacy GT.. Around $29,500 MSRP, I think...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    "I'd probably go with a Subaru Legacy GT."

Gotta agree with you there.

It's up there with the BMW and Acura in luxury/comfort/fit&finish, it's got an extremely competant AWD drivetrain, and its 250 hp 2.5L boxer engine is a league above the others in power.

I'd go for the Spec B (Bilstein coil-overs, aluminum control arms, and 18" alloys). It's a sweet package, if you can find one.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,201
    ... and, if you can stomach the $36K MSRP.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    cubby10cubby10 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. That is a great idea. My fear is they will get the car back from my friend and then attempt to sell to me at a jacked up price. Any advice on how to approach the dealer to get them to make the transaction for a fee as you suggested? I think the buy-out on the lease is $17,453 for a 2004 TSX.
  • Options
    If the original owner has the option to get the car at the buy-out price it should be easy enough to just change the name on the title at the end of the lease. Your friend takes your money, buys the car and puts the title in your name. The dealer should be able to handle this process easy enough.
  • Options
    MSRP is closer to $35,000, but Subaru seems to be dealing close to invoice right now (about $32,500).

That's cheaper than a comparably equipped Bimmer, but admittedly about $5,000 more than a TSX w/Nav.

Add Cobb Stage I and you'll be putting the hurt on 330i's!
  • Options
    notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    regarding winter performance (from someone who drives a lot of miles and has a tsx at the top of my list for a new car) if I get the TSX or any car for new england weather I will invest in dedicated snow tires on their own rims, and the fwd performance will improve. I've lived the last 20 years w/ fwd cars and am confident of them in the snow with all seasons - but w/ snows you will see a noticable traction improvement. you can also step down the wheel size for the winter tires
  • Options
    tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    lease holder can purchase at any time. Or a dealer can purchase. AHFC cannot take payoff and sell to a third party only to original leasse or a dealer. I just went thru all of this.
    I will try to answer any questions. I am concerned about so many end lease cars dropping the 04 book values as 17400 is the end of lease value on most.
  • Options
    While technically the title couldn't be put into a third party's name directly, what's to keep the lease holder from taking the third party's money, pay off the car and sign the title over to the third party.

The values of the TSX have been abnormally high for a while - the off lease vehicles will just bring them back to normal. The problem is that you could have 3 and 1.5 year old 04 TSXs on sale at the same time and values for those should obviosuly be different.
  • Options
    inkyofokinkyofok Member Posts: 62
    AHFC policy is they only sell to lease holder. They do an odometer statement and a bill of sale toe the lease holder. They will accept 3rd party money on the pay off but they will not give 3rd party the title, a bill of sale. To do that the lease holder has to sell to 3rd party. That means in some states the lease holder has to pay sales tax on the car, register and retitle. Luckily some states like my deal have on title registered owner as lease holder and AHFC is lien holder--this allows them to payoff then sign title over to you. Complicated business. Bottom line go see the Acura dealer ask them to complete the transaction for a reasonable fee. This can appeal to anyone.

Still when 3 yr olds come off lease the 1.5 yr olds will suffer and be worth marginally more but not todays price.
    I still see 04 tsx certified for $25,500 with 30 k miles.
    Taht is nuts based on 06 deal for $26,000!!!!!!!!!!!

Market value will adjust shortly to:

04 clean 25 k miles = $18000
    05 clean 10 k miles - $22000
    06 new out of box = $26000
  • Options
    no_more_vwno_more_vw Member Posts: 10
    i like to know what kind of problems you had with your VW. i have filed a lawsuite and i would like to get more consumers with VW car problems. thank you
  • Options
  • Options
    Dude! We are going to HAVE to hook up when you get it! I gather it's the same year, or close to it, as your 325i?

It looks really clean. Let me know when it arrives. :shades:
  • Options
    Yup, it's an '88. I'll keep you posted...
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    All,

I really enjoy driving my wife's 05 TL and am thinking about getting a TSX for our second car (or perhaps the RSX - have to see what the new design looks like later this year). What I really like about the TL is the steering and handling. It is so precise that it is much less fatiguing to drive than my Chevy 1500 pickup! Is the TSX going to give me this same feel of effortless driving that the TL does?

Also, any word on when the TSX will be redesigned? I saw some pics of a honda/acura concept that looked really cool. One thing about the TSX - I only LIKE the styling, whereas I LOVE the styling of the TL.

Thanks!
  • Options
    The TSX is due for a FMC for model year 2008. If I'm not mistaken, the TSX has a quicker steering rack than the TL, and generally tighter supension tuning.

It has been said that the TSX is more fun to drive than the TL, if only because it is more tossable and has a more nimble feel to it. Yes, the TSX has less power, but its spunky I4 is ready, willing and able. It's up to you to decide whether it's the car for you. The TSX is a very well-balanced car.

Coupled with the excellent six speed gearbox, the TSX is indeed a very entertaining drive. If straightline speed is your cup of tea, then the TL is probably the car for you. If sharp handling, quick, responsive steering, good road feel and a high revving engine appeals to you, then definitely look at the TSX.

Good luck. :shades:
  • Options
    if you aren't stuck on the Acura label you might want to also consider the Accord EX 6Cyl, which comes in a 6 speed MT or an auto. It's closer in size to the TL, and has a more powerful engine (torque and hp) than the TSX. It won't handle quite as well as the TSX, but handles quite well nonetheless. It will cost you about the same as a TSX, has he same safety features (VSA) but not as well-appointed as the TL and lacks some of the eatures of the TSX (eg bluetooth and mp3 plug in)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,435
    I'd like to see the Turbo engine from the upcoming RDX as well as the SH-AWD make it to the TSX lineup.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'm not a huge fan of the Accord styling which caused me to write that off my list.

Does the TSX have the same excellent "straight line tracking" that the TL does? Also, how are the noise levels in the TSX?

Thanks!
  • Options
    check out the most recent car & driver - it does a comparison of the accord 6cyl against the TSX and 3 other cars (mazdaspeed 6, jetta..)

I think they didi a nice job on the redesigned back end of the accord - but I don't like the front.
    The 6cyl/6spd mt can be hard to find - I have a couple local dealers w/o any (they have them in auto)
  • Options
    adamsearadamsear Member Posts: 8
    Hi, all--

I'm getting close to purchasing a new TSX here in the L.A. area. I'm wondering about three things and a bonus question:

1. Exterior Color--I've never owned a black car, but REALLY like the way the black TSX looks. If I think I'm the type to get my car washed about once every 2 weeks, will this work? (We get a fair amount of pollution, around here). And I heard somewhere that black shows more scratches, dings, etc.--is this so? Is there another color that will be much better this way? If I do get black, are there any little things I can do to keep it looking sharp in between washes?

2. Interior Color--what about the black interior--also tough to keep/look clean?

3. Color and heat--since this is southern CA, does a black car get MUCH hotter than other cars? Is it more due to the exterior or interior color? I'd love especially to hear from any black/black car owners from warmer climates.

4. Bonus question--for those of you who now own a TSX, is there anything you know now that you wish you knew when making the purchase?

Many thanks.
  • Options
    drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    1) I owned a black Passat for 7 1/2 years before buying a TSX. Not only did it show dirt, but as the years went on, the paint showed every scuff, scratch and chip. The paint also lost its deep black gloss, although a professional detail may have helped with that. Look around at black cars and I think you'll see that only the newest ones really look good. Most of them are covered with swirlmarks. In short, I vote no on black!

2) I have a black interior on my TSX. It isn't that hard to keep clean, but it does show dust quite a bit. I find that a vacuum every 2 weeks or so is just fine for keeping it in good shape.

3) I live in Washington and have a silver exterior, so no comment here!

4) Nothing at all. Although I've only had the car since June 2005, I have been very happy with the purchase.
  • Options
    Is it me or does the steering seem "lighter" than the TLs? Straight-line tracking was great, but I think I like the "firmer" steering on the TL...

Also, I usually kind of cross my left leg under my right slightly when driving, with my left foot up against the seat and my left knee near the door. That made me notice that the cockpit is pretty narrow. Although I am pretty broad in the shoulders and had plenty of shoulder and head room. Anybody here have difficulty finding a comfortable driving position in the TSX, or was it just the way I was sitting?
  • Options
    re subaru spec b
    a dealer in Norwwod MA told me they have 2 of them - one for sure, on the dealership floor
  • Options
    ckigginsckiggins Member Posts: 68
    Can anyone who has driven the TSX tell me if it has a 1-touch moonroof? With my 2002 RSX you have to keep the button held down while you open it rather than it auto-opening.

I tried to figure it out by the specs page and in photos but I can't tell.
  • Options
    mbros2kmbros2k Member Posts: 71
    No one-touch moonroof, no auto locking doors, no drls, no rear air conditioner vent, no one-touch passenger window, no lumbar support for passenger, but a great car none-the- less. It's hard to find a car with everything you want for the right price.
  • Options
    waw40waw40 Member Posts: 39
    I am looking for a TSX 6MT, Milano Red. I searched the inventories of 12 dealerships in 3 Western states and I didn't find what I was looking for. In fact, over 90% of TSXs are AT (who in the sound mind would prefer AT to MT on a TSX?)and over 90% are grey or silver, just like most cars in the huge parking lot ouside my office window.

Has anyone seen an MT in Red anywhere? My closest dealer offers to order one from Japan but it will take 3-4 months.
  • Options
    drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    "who in the sound mind would prefer AT to MT on a TSX?"

Those of us who use it as a commuter car and don't enjoy continuously shifting in stop and go traffic.

Otherwise, over 90% of us are off our rockers!
This discussion has been closed.