Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TSX

Comments

• Options
    goneineatsxgoneineatsx Member Posts: 1
    I just got a a new 2006 acura tsx. I just had a few questions about the break in period on the car. I like to drive fast and sometimes I will drive to 6000 and 7000 rpms. I have about 2500 miles on the car. My first question is how long is the break in period? my second question is if im doing 6000 or 7000 rpms every now and then while its in the break in period will i loose performance or even mess up my engine?
  • Options
    johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    The break-in period for the TSX is 600 miles. BTW, the owners manual is an excellent resource for all things TSX. In the manual it tells you not to rev the motor out for the first 600 miles. At 2500 miles, you should be fine.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    stealthonestealthone Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,
    I've got a quote to purchase a Certified Pre-Owned 2005 TSX automatic,w/o Navi, and 6K miles for $24,200 b/4 taxes, title, etc... Does this sound like a reasonable price? Thanks to all for your feedback!
  • Options
    novicenovice Member Posts: 64
    It's over a month and someone asked for my impressions now(from an earlier post) in part because I had a 2003 BMW 325i previously. I won't do the BMW/TSX comparison because it's simply not fair--the gold standard is so for a reason (actually--for several). That said, I am incredibly impressed with the TSX. The ride, the seats, fit and finish, standard sound system, handling, quietness--all are real positives. On several points it exceeds my 2003. In truth, my main frustration is I only get to drive it on weekends for any distance. I'm enjoying the car much more than I expected. I knew I was taking a step down, as it were, but now feel I actually like some key elements of the TSX even more. In all, I am extremely happy with this car. Assuming the reliability is as promised, I think I made a very wise and sound purchase.
  • Options
    proffyproffy Member Posts: 46
    I had the chance to drive a 2005 4-cyl Accord automatic this weekend and was supprised how peppy it felt (relative to my 1997 4-cyl manual Accord). Since the TSX has a tweaked version of the 4-cyl accord engine does it basically feel the same, or can owners feel a real difference between the two?
  • Options
    The TSX is sportier all the way around. Drivetrain, handling, etc. It also has 40 more hp.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    40 more hp but only 4 more lb-ft of torque. I don't think you'll notice a real difference until you're in the upper end of the rpm band.

Relative to a 215 hp, 3.5 liter V6, I though the auto TSX was pretty anemic accelerating from 35 mph or so.
  • Options
    All the more reason to buy the car with a manual transmission. I can tell you from owning the TSX that it is not anemic from 35mph on up in MT form.

If the TSX AT feels anemic, how do you think the Accord AT feels?
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I haven't driven an Accord 4. I did drive a TSX manual and agree it was totally acceptable.
  • Options
    cat74cat74 Member Posts: 2
    Looking to purchase an 06 TSX but just noticed that they recommend premium grade gas to be used? Does anyone have any comments on this? Have you been using premium vs regular? Have you noticed a difference in engine performance?
  • Options
    You'll notice a difference if you don't use the recommended premium. The ECU will retard timing to compensate for lower octane fuel, but why buy a car that uses premium at all if it's a problem? Fuel economy and perfomance will suffer.

If you buy a car that requires premium fuel, that's what you should run in it. Otherwise, get an Accord or some other car.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Sold elsewhere than the usa as the honda accord wagon. While the accord wagon we had here didn't sell well i think that was partly be cause gas prices were low and SUV's were the thing to have i think that bringing it here as the tsx wagon will be a good thing. I for 1 like the tsx but think there are families out there with kids and want something sporty and can haul a little more things. This is a nice picture of what we're now missing.

I like the idea of the rdx but i think that it isn't going to be much of a hauler. What else but to give the ford freestyle, volvo v50/70 wagons, a4 avant, a3, and dodge magnum another run for the money (again). Wagons are becoming popular and with this idea, i see no wrong. With a possible lineup like this, what can go wrong?!?

Especially with a 3rd seat option and the turbodiesel powertrain option? This is what you can call a sport utility vehicle! :P Any opinions?
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    I kinda like the idea. I'm not to keen on the rear end treatment though. I think it would be a tough sell for Acura dealers. The majority of car buyers aren't enthusiasts like many here on Town Hall are. They buy luxury marquees to wear them. They want SUVs because that's what the neighbors have and they fell like they "need" 4WD or AWD. Forget about diesels. Say diesel and people think Tractor Trailer, City Bus, or their neighbor's 1970 something smoke belching Mercedes with 18 million miles on it. They want straight line accleration.

I think a well balanced, excellent handling, well crafted TSX wagon would be a good idea for my growing family (our 1st is due this September). The wagon options are slim. The only other viable option for me right now would be a 325 Xi wagon. And I don't like being force fed AWD (from BMW) But if I have to settle for AWD, at least give me the option of a Sport Suspension. I don't do American Cars. The Audi A4 Avants are really nice, but Audi's reliability and dealer network scare me.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    mvc_jonesmvc_jones Member Posts: 88
    I like wagon options, but I do not like the TSX wagon styling. The sharper lines and creases of the TSX sedan, in my opinion, do not translate well to wagon shown.

I do like the styling of the Subara Legacy GT wagon (second choice to the TL I bought) and I like the A4 Avant styling, but agree that Audi/VW reliability warrant leasing only.

I think the wagon vs. SUV argument is going to wane down, with many SUV's going the crossover route. To me, crossovers are largely wagons, maybe a little taller, with a different name, and many of them carry similar MPG and space ratings as wagons now with similar engines. Body on frame SUV's, which used to be the main choice, are starting to wane in popularity to the crossovers, as crossovers are more efficient, handle better, and are more 'carlike', which most people prefer, it seems.

I think a TSX wagon would be a nice option in the US, but the RDX will also serve a wagon role, with the more appealing SUV or crossover name, and probably pretty good fuel efficiency and handling/utility for its size...
  • Options
    taxlawyertaxlawyer Member Posts: 29
    Anyone know why the Honda S2000 engine was never placed in the TSX? From a platform standpoint it would be perfect.

A normally aspirated 237hp 4-cyl and then a 6-cyl with 258 horses above. In addition, the TSX would then outperform the Accord V-6.

Personally, I have been stuck at a fork in the road. I love the performance of the Accord V-6 but prefer the TSX interior.

Anyone know if a new engine will be used in next years model?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Anyone know why the Honda S2000 engine was never placed in the TSX?

Probably because driving a sedan at 8K revs regulary would not be practical.

Anyone know if a new engine will be used in next years model?

From what I read on another forum today is to not expect any changes for the TSX until a new model comes out for 2008 - probably using the turbo motor from the RDX.
  • Options
    Maybe they could call the TSX (using the S2000 engine) the TSX-S?
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    You need a bit of torque to get the 3300lb TSX to get moving - that engine has little. Paper peak power is not that useful in the real world.

Seems like Honda (RDX) and BMW (335Ci) are going the turbo route to get more power from a limited displacement instead of adding ccs and cylinders.

I assume the whole drivetrain (with some tweaking) from the RDX will make its way into the next TSX.
  • Options
    I'd say the biggest thing is the relative lack of torque V. the K24.
  • Options
    Well said. The Mazda6 wagon is another option. It's said to be pretty sharp-handling an fun to drive as well as practical. And you can get it with a manual gearbox.
  • Options
    jpierce26jpierce26 Member Posts: 60
    I currently own a BMW 325XI and my lease is up in a month. While considering another 325, I am not fond of upping my lease another $100 to get all of the options and features I really want.

I test drove the GTI first and was pleasantly surprised. I have no interest in a 2-door car and the 4-door isn't due out for 4 more months.

I took the Acura TSX today for a drive. I am looking for a manual 6 shift with NAV. The dealership is trying to get me to buy before the end of the month which is Saturday for them. They say they are going to pay my last lease payment but they charge me the same amount back in the deal. Makes no sense to me.

I really liked the way it drove. It wasn't as tight as the GTI or BMW, but it did very well. I love the voice command and the NAV. I didn't like the lack of auto up/down windows, including the roof. Can't believe they didn't make that standard on all their windows.

Does anyone have an opinion on the three cars I am looking at?

Thanks,
    JP
  • Options
    I traded a 2003 BMW 325i for a 2006 TSX Auto. I've noted before on this thread that they're two very different cars, and the BMW has some driver qualities that can't be matched. Having said that, I am totally enjoying the TSX. Yes, it is a bit light on things like auto window controls and sunroof controls, and the carpets are a disappointment. But the drive, the ride, the quality, etc. are impressive. I knew I wasn't buying a BMW (the gold standard) but I have been blown away with how this car works and how I respond to it.
  • Options
    Hey Novice,

Thanks for the info. It's cool to hear from someone who had a bmw and now is driving a TSX. I realize the cars are very different. It sounds like I would be happy with the TSX if I go that route.

Right now I am leaning towards the VW GTI. But it changes every day.
  • Options
    Hopefully the VW would prove to be reliable should you go that route. They have a spotty history at best. I think the Acura would be trouble-free by comparison.

To add to what novice said, I like my TSX more now than when I bought it (2+ years). That's never happened with a car before, at least not for me. Food for thought.
  • Options
    :shades: The one standout criticism I'd have for the TSX compared to the BMW is the turning radius. It has a too wide turning circle. But, you can't have everything and I've concluded they haven't made the perfect car (for me). The key point is that on balance--I cannot get over how impressed I am with the TSX. It continues to impress the more I drive.
  • Options
    You guys are making it real hard to decide. I have to test drive the acura and gti again to be sure what I want. I have pretty much decided against another bmw because of the run flat tires (RFT) problem. I don't want to buy a 48K nightmare.

I had never been satisfied driving cars until I had the bwm. The first six months I loved the car. I had to get a loaner for a couple weeks and drove someones Volvo S40. What a piece of junk.

I went back to the bmw and loved it even more since then. The more I drive it, the more I love it. It loves to go and go fast. It isn't uncommon for me to drive 85+ every day with this car. Zips in and out of traffic with ease. I try to push the car on off ramps going 50, 60 off ramps. Sticks to the road, feels sure and confident.

Can anyone tell me if they feel this with their TSX?
  • Options
    but I've never driven a Bimmer on an extended basis. That said, everything you mentioned that you love about your BMW, I love about my TSX. :D
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    There's always the A3. You could also wait a tear for the bmw 1series or Mercedes A or B class. :shades:
  • Options
    devore420devore420 Member Posts: 30
    I have an '06 MT, and noticed something the other day. If I'm slowly backing out my driveway and engage the clutch and tap the throttle, the response is dramatically limited - pressing it pretty hard for a second only revs the motor to 1.5-2K or so. As soon as I stop and shift to first, the throttle responds normally.

Is this a DBW "feature"? Has anyone else notcied it? I can think of reasons they'd do (and could do) that with DBW, but it's sort of a strange feeling.
  • Options
    Check out this link. Maybe it will happen. I'm hoping so.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107644#2
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Interesting idea, but I don't know...

Personally, if I were the boss at Acura, I'd get rid or the RSX altogether, make the TL the "entry-level" sedan, and introduce the "new TSX" as a 2-door sedan (think BMW M3).

The 2.2L engine is a fine engine, but with limited TQ output, it's more of a "race" engine than a "luxury car" engine.

I'm guessing that Honda will bow to (ignorant) consumer demand and put a small V-6 in the next TSX. That would be a shame.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Actually the RSX has been dropped from the Acura line.
  • Options
    heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    I think I would bet that the TSX is going to get a version of the Turbo-4 being introduced with the RDX.
  • Options
    sleekcar4mesleekcar4me Member Posts: 3
    I am having trouble linking the hands free phone system on the 2006 TSX to my new cellphone. The cellphone has bluetooth technology and is the Treo 700W made by Palm for Verizon. The phone is a PDA and phone combination. For some reason the TSX will not recognize my phone so am unable to link the two even when following instructions to the letter. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on making this work?
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    I think I would bet that the TSX is going to get a version of the Turbo-4 being introduced with the RDX.

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner.

This drivetrain is also the way the next version of the TSX will get AWD.
  • Options
    I'm going to be getting a TSX. However, I've noticed that it requires premium fuel. (The brochure indicates engine damage may result if a lower octane level is used.)

I've been told that the TSX is a high compression engine and that's why its required. I'd be fine with that, but then why does the Accord Hybrid (which operates under the same compression ratio, 10.5:1) only require regular unleaded.

Is the compression ratio the true indication of fuel needed? I know this is a TSX board but if it is, then why do the Pilot and MDX also have different fuel recommendations with the same compression ratio?

I will have no problem buying the better fuel (if its truly needed) but I don't understand the rationale behind it.

Thanks all!

Does anyone understand any of this.
  • Options
    is tuned in such a way that requires premium fuel for peak effiency. Definitely do not purchase the car if that is an issue. Since this requirement has been flogged to death on this board, not much more needs to be said (search).
  • Options
    carguygeorgecarguygeorge Member Posts: 1
    Any idea when we see the turbo AWD (SHAWD I assume)? It would be close to a perfect set of wheels.
  • Options
    TSX FMC is matrixed for model year 2008.
  • Options
    maulanamaulana Member Posts: 55
    dear Novice,
    May I kindly troubly you to contact me? I have been trying to decide between a 2003 BMW 325 and a 2004 Acura TSX, and talking with someone who has driven both extensively would help.

I would be very grateful!
    thank you.
  • Options
    I don't know how to reach you...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, the best thing to do would be to have the conversation right here on the board. That way others can learn and ask questions as well.

Maulana, please go ahead and post the questions you have. Novice can try to help and so can others. :)
  • Options
    maulanamaulana Member Posts: 55
    Dear Novice and friends.
    sorry, I was reminded by the host not to ask people to get in touch off list.

Novice, if you wouldn't mind, I'd be very grateful for as thorough of your reflections on the Acura TSX vs. BMW 325 as you care to share. I have tried to read what I can about these two cars, including what you have posted. If you have any other/more thoughts, I'd love to hear about them.

many thanks,
    maulana
  • Options
    f1o3x7f1o3x7 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    i'm a current owner of a Audi A4 (problems galore...)So i'm looking to get rid of it and purchase a TSX. Unfortunately, the nearest Acura dealer is about an hour away :(
    but there are several Honda Dealers in my local area, just wondering if its possible to bring the Acura in for service at a honda dealer? (I hope so, cuz I am really liking the TSX)
  • Options
    drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    Probably not for warranty service, but I get the oil changed in my TSX at the Honda dealership near my office.
  • Options
    meg6meg6 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone ordered the deep green metalic color TSX? Did you like it?
  • Options
    Maulana,

I'll get pounced on from some quarters for this post but I would buy the TSX. Now--I'm basing this on the 2003, not the 2006 BMW. I've driven the 2006 and it's a very nice car. I can only speak for myself. The 2003 BMW does not have lumbar support unless you buy the sports package--something that matters to me and which I didn't realize until after I bought the car--every car I've owned for many years had it and I assumed the BMW would. Second, in order to get some of the 'extras' with the BMW you have to purchase the packages where the TSX has them as part of the deal. Since you're buying the BMW used you'll have to take what you get. I prefer the seats in the TSX by far. I prefer the ride in the TSX by far. I like the sound system by far--no contest. The four cylinder in the TSX is terrific. The mileage is better than the BMW--both in town and on the highway. Today I filled my tank and drove mostly highway to my house, roughly 15 miles and the gauge was showing almost 36 miles to the gallon. And, the 205 horses deliver what I need from this car. The BMW is a sportier ride, I like the tight turning circle. I really enjoyed the BMW. I bought it on the show room floor and it wasn't my favorite color (end of season) and I have the Carbon Gray TSX which I really like. But I actually enjoy the TSX more--again--recognizing this is a personal preference. Remember, I'm comparing my 2003 BMW with the 2006 TSX. But I could have purchased the 2006 BMW and opted for the TSX. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    austinman7austinman7 Member Posts: 313
    I'm about to trade my '04 Accord LX 4 cyl. for a sports sedan and have driven the BMW 325i, G35, Acura TL, Mazda6, Lexus IS300 (used) and, just yesterday, the Acura TSX.

This was my first drive in a TSX and I really loved the car. It seemed to fit me like a glove, fit and finish are exceptional, and it was a very nimble handling car. Softest leather on the seating that I've experienced.

The only thing that gave me pause was the 4 cyl. engine, since I was assuming I'd move to a 6 cyl. The TSX seemed pretty peppy, though it may have reved a little higher in some cases than a 6 cyl. would. Seemed quiet and composed at 65-70 mph. Car & Driver has knocked it for what they consider low power, but otherwise love it, since it's a TenBest pick.

So my question is, has the relatively lower power and torque (about 164 lb. I think) been an issue with any of you?

My other question is about availability. I think the initial 2004 model year U.S. allotment was only about 15,000 units. Has Acura increased this for 2006? My local dealer had only a demonstrator he couldn't sell and a silver one that someone was negotiating to buy as I was there. Is there better availabilty where you are, or is it somewhat of a seller's market?

Thanks for any input you can give me. This is really a beautiful car and I feel on the verge of making a trade. The parchment interior was my favorite, and I can imagine it looking great with the dark blue or green exterior.
  • Options
    Hey Novice,

Thanks for the info. I am in a huge dilema right now. I own a 2003 BMW and the lease is up in a month. I am very concerned about the 2006 BMW because of the run flat tires, the lousy sound system, the higher price, and the gas milege.

I test drove the TSX and loved it. Your post inspired me. If you have any more info on the TSX that you like compared to the BMW, I would love to hear them.

JP
This discussion has been closed.