Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX

Comments

• sdradioguysdradioguy Member Posts: 101
    I'm looking for feedback from people who've traded in a recent (2005-2006) Audi A4 for a TSX.

I currently have a 2004 A4 1.8T 6 sp. quattro that I bought after coming "this close" to buying a TSX. The car's been a delight to drive, but the electrical problems (windows, lights, speaker connections) are starting to pile up, and I'm only 2,000 miles from being out of warranty.

I didn't buy an extended warranty, and I don't have any plans to. Yes, it'd be nice to be covered by a longer warranty, but even nicer to not have to use the warranty in the first place. My original idea was to just wing it for the first 10K miles or so out of warranty and see how things went. Maybe I'd be one of the "lucky" Audi owners. Now I think I should have leased.

But since I can't get a do-over here, I'm now looking into trading in the Audi for one of the few remaining 2006 TSXS. I began obsessing over this after realizing the 2006s were being sold for a big chunk off the sticker price. Of course, the only ones that are left are autos without NAVI., but after test driving one today, realized I could live with that.

So, who else out there has been in this situation, where they have an A4 they really enjoy, but realize it might be smart to take whatever trade-in value they have left and put it toward a TSX? Three years ago, there was an A4 vs. TSX, but I guess it was closed.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Do you really want to take a $10,000 depreciation hit just because of a few annoying electrical bugs?

Any car you purchase new will only be covered by warranty for so long, and then you'll be looking at out of pocket costs for maintenance and repairs.

Yes, the Acura is predicted to be more reliable than an Audi, but really, how much do lightbulbs cost? Certainly not $10,000.

If you like the Audi, I don't see a reason to get rid of it.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    for a TSX with a slushbox that you're going to hate in a week if you like your 6-speed a4.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    That's why there's the 6MT version of the TSX - which has just about the best MT out there.
    There are no 6MTs left among the 2006 models that the dealers are trying to move in the Central Florida area. It's just as well. I think I'll wait until a new TSX comes along. Isn't that supposed to happen in either 2008 or 2009?
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    are you near ocala. according to the acura dealer website from there they have a 06 white tsx with 6spd.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    It's looking like MY 2009, so maybe fall 2008.
    I'm in Orlando, which, in theory, would give me access to Ocala, Tampa, Daytona Beach, and Melbourne.. but the local dealers have told me that extra "shipping" charges would be involved if I tried to get an out-of-town car through them. I think I'm just going to sit tight, and wait to see what Acura does with the TSX for 2009.
    i live in north carolina but bought my tsx in Pa because they gave me the best price. I bought many vehicles from this dealer while living in Pa. They did not have the car I wanted and had to get it from a dealer in NJ. No extra charge. I agree with you, if you can not get one with 6spd. I would wait. Even their bouchure suggests getting it in manual transmission
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    hows the automanual in this car?
    -Cj
    I do not know as I do not have it nor do i want it. Prefer manual transmission with clutch and shifting. I would advise you to try it. IMO the 6 speed transmission can not be beat.
  • drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    It works well, but it's not a very good substitute for driving a stick. I mostly use it for engine braking on a few long hills in the area.
    see my manual skills are well... I don't have any. :cry: . But a manual isn't the best choice of transmissions for where i live. So i guess an automanual would be practical for me. I'd love to learn but my mom just sold her 5 speed sportage for an automatic miata. No one else in my family (that i know of) has a manual to teach me.

-Cj :blush:
    Where do you live? Get a stick and teach yourself how to drive it. Go out with your mom a few times and let her show you.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The details should be out in a few weeks. The Sport Concept (the future TSX) will be making the car show circuit again over the winter. It is assumed that the TSX will be all new for MY08.
    See, I've been reading mixed info on this. I thought all along it was all new for MY '08, but lately I've been hearing it won't be until MY '09.

TOV still has it matrixed as MY '08 AFAIK, so that's what I'm going with. If that's the case, we should see an all new car next fall.
    Miami, Fl. I'd love 2 but we have no manual car anymore. I wasn't paying attention when she did the whole clutch thing but i always knew when to shift, not how to shift :( .

I did manage to get if from the sidewalk to the gate however. It only cut off once. :blush::D

-Cj :)
    perhaps an all new car confirmation.

I hope honda brings over its CTDI diesel engine as it gets almost 40mpg highway and has ALOT of torque! Heck, do that for the current model!! Thats a gaurrented way to boost sales!!

~*~*~HAPPY HOLIDAYS~*~*~
    -Cj :blush:
    The 2.2l iCDTi engine will be offered - it's just a matter of when. I have a feeling Honda will milk all the sales from the new model with just one drivetrain for MY 08 and then add the diesel option for MY09.
    HERES FOR A 2008 CTD-I TSX!!

Honda already has the technology ready too!

-Cj
  • back932back932 Member Posts: 1
    I'm 6'5" and live a long way from the nearest Acura dealer. Can some of you tall drivers give me feedback on this. Thanks.
  • oldgoat2oldgoat2 Member Posts: 14
    I am 6'1", with long legs. I have no problem in the TSX, and do not even push the seat all the way back. I could not even get into a Honda 2000, as an example.
    Foes anyone here agree/disagree with the tsx getting the 2.3l turbo in the RDX?

Pros:
    *With the TSX relatively low curb weight, the turbo engine should have 260hp and 245lb ft of torque.
    *The TSX would be better up there with the IS350, BMW 335i, ect
    *Better handling by more even weight distribution: The RDX has a 57/43 weight distribution and the current TSX has a 61/39 split

Possible SH-AWD
    Cons:
    *Questionable Fuel Economy
    *Possible SH-AWD. Everything with SH-AWD weighs over 4klbs
    *Lags behind is350,335i,ect

Unchanged:
    *Still Must rev the Tsx to access that power
    *Priemum fuel

Or an optional v6 engine, Either the 3.2 form TL or 3.0 from accord

Pros:
    *Can get great MPG
    *Low end torque
    *Can run on regular gas

Cons:
    *Steal TL, Rl and Accord v6 sales
    *Would weigh more
    *Possible torque steer(LSD or SH-AWD could fix)
    *Still not their with is350,335i, ect
    -Cj
    Adding the 2.3 Turbo to the TSX would change the entire character of the car. It would have a lower redline and make more power down low. Sounds like the TL to me.

Adding SH-AWD to the TSX would add more weight. It would turn -in more slowly and need larger tires and brakes. Sounds like the TL to me.

Optional V6 makes no sense - the TL already has that too.

What the next TSX needs to be is an S2000 with a back seat and luxury touches. It should have a hot, 2.5L I-4 that revs to 8000 RPM and makes 240hp and 200tq - without forced induction. Leave the manual transmission alone, make the A-Spec suspension standard, and include ultra-high performance tires.

The TSX does not compete with the IS350 and 335i, and it shouldn't. It should do what it does best - that is, occupy a "tweener ground" between the current entry level luxury/performance sedans (3-series, G35, etc) and the more family oriented performance sedans (Mazda 6, Legacy 2.5GT, etc.)
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Make it more like an S2000 or I'd even settle if they made it like my Prelude ;)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I could live with the turbo... more power never hurts. But, SH-AWD? No thanks... Have to keep the car light..

I'm sure with a revised traction control system and some engineering, they could dial the higher torque-steer out of the car..

TSX-S.. Bring it on!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

A lot of plain Jane shoppers go for the TSX because of its current characteristics - modify it towards the S2000 too much and you might risk alienating many of them. No main stream sedan should have a high revving engine with an 8000RPM redline. You are not going to see 100HP+/l engine in any main stream non FI car. Not only that but you won't get 200ft-lbs of tq out of 2.5L of displacement without FI (even the IS250 with its DI trickery only has 184).

Yep, Honda has positioned the TSX quite well for the "tweener" position - and it will keep it so.

Seems to me that Honda is going the Audi route to differentiate Honda form Acura - equip its whole lineup with SH-AWD.
  • gdoctsx1gdoctsx1 Member Posts: 60
    I totally agree with you 'fedlawman'. The TSX is already a great car with plenty of power. I'm all for improvements. A normally aspirated 2.5L engine with 220-240HP and 200 foot pounds of Tq would be an improvement (similar fuel economy would be a nice touch!). The TSX is in a very exciting segment.
    "between the current entry level luxury/performance sedans (3-series, G35, etc) and the more family oriented performance sedans (Mazda 6, Legacy 2.5GT, etc.)"
    "

Let's keep it there! Personally, I don't want an all wheel drive car. If I did, I'd pick up an A4.

Not that Canada makes up much of a market segment, but I don't really want a car for 50-55k. The reason there are comparisons made between the TSX and other cars that are more expensive (3servies, g35, TL, IS) is because the TSX is the best overall car in the next lower price segment to the mentioned vehicles. I would rather not see a Turbo in the TSX, but if the rumors are true it will be there regardless (big mistake if you ask me). The TSX has the best normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine of any sedan I can think of. More torque....sure, add it. More HP ...add it. Turbo...keep it out. Forced induction for the next TSX...hmmm...I'll be switching to another company for my next vehicle. Holy crap, it might drive like a turbo volvo (insert vomit face).
  • gdoctsx1gdoctsx1 Member Posts: 60
    "Plain Jane shoppers". Not sure I agree with that. Most of the folks I see behind the wheel of TL's, G35's, IS's etc... all look "plain jane" to me. The entire sedan segment is dominated by the "plain janers". I see more women driving BMW's in the past 5 years than ever before (some not so plain :P . If the plain janers only knew what these cars can really do. Can't wait to pick up a used BMW 550 driven by someone who uses it to go shopping 3x a week.

I'll take the next generation TSX with 220Hp and 185tq at with a 8000rpm redline.
    biker4 - You do bring up a good point about not making the TSX too hardcore. I agree that would alienate many of the mainstream TSX customers. Besides, the aftermarket is chock full of companies that are ready to help make the TSX into whatever an owner could want.

The TSX occupies a unique and difficult segment that is really tough to qualify/quantify. Soften it up too much and you have just another TL. Firm it up too much and you've got an S2000.

My position is that the TSX must occupy a middle ground. More HP is a must to remain competitive, but not too much that it becomes a slower/lower revving also-ran. More chassis refinement is also a must given the level of competence that the Family segment now enjoys, but not so much that it weighs too much or isolates the driver.

I liked the comment about the TSX being more of a near-lux, 4 door Prelude - that's kind of how I've always thought of the TSX.

PS: My BMW 2.5L I-4 FI makes 215hp/170tq at the wheels - with 20 year old technology and no FI. With modern engine management technology, Honda is more than capable of matching this in a mass produced engine.
    Yes that will make the tsx more fun but if the power remains low, it could see the fate of the RSX with the recent introduction of the Civic SI sedan. Honda is making the next s2000 less "extreme" too.

Adding the Turbo will have more low down hp and torque and weight shouldn't go up much at all. I also say no on SH-AWD for the TSX. I do however think that with the turbo, the tsx should get a Limited Slip Differential so we'll here no complaints of torque steer.

Tweeners like the Volvo s40 and saab 9-3? Both offer turbos and the saab has a 250hp one also.

The turbo in the RDX makes 260lb feet and 240hp. Those numbers are where you want it. But the RDX has sh-awd and weighs more than 4klbs. Everything with sh-awd weights over 4k lbs.

The current TSX weighs 33,170lbs so if it gets a more powerful engine and weight increases to 3,500 lbs whats the problem?

Also the tsx now has a 61/39 weight split and the turbo could bring this near the RDX's 57/43.

To sum it up, a Tsx type S (or even standard model) with a 58/42 weight split, a vtec 2.3l turbo 245hp, 265lb ft of torque, near 7k redline, sport tuned suspension, little turbo lag as the heavier RDX flies from zero to 60 mph in 6.8 seconds and completed the quarter-mile in 15.2 seconds at 90.4 mph , and honda reliability doesn't please you?

Here, read or watch the Acura RDX in action!

-Cj :)
    Personally I think the TSX does not need any changes- I love it just the way it is. They should come up with a new model with the turbo and awd and rename it but keep the TSX. the last turbo car we owned was a 1998 eagle talon tsi awd. the tsx is just as good
  • dynatsx1dynatsx1 Member Posts: 10
    Adding a turbo will not improve the TSX's weight split. The RDX has a 57/43 weight split because of the SH-AWD and it's components in the rear of the car. The addition of a turbo to the TSX would just add more weight to the front of a car.

Overall, I like the idea of adding a turbo and SH-AWD, but I also like the (relatively) low weight, handling, and sub $30,000 price tag on the current model. All Acura needs to do is cram that turbo in there, add SH-AWD, maintain the driving dynamics, and keep the sticker close to where it is.... easy, right?!?
    Dynatsx1 is right, the RDX has better weight distribution because it has a rear differential (along with other AWD components) that add weight to the rear of the car. Adding a turbo would not shift weight to the rear of the TSX.

My only opposition to the turbo is the lower compression ratio, lower redline, and presumably, slower revving character of the engine. One of the big reasons why the TSX is so much fun is the responsive, rev-happy I-4. I fear a turbo might rob the engine of some of its throttle response.

Really, they can't add too much power to the TSX. It weighs 300 lbs less than the TL as it is, and I don't think Honda will allow the TSX to be the stoplight king of their lineup.
    You have to look at the market and guesstimate where Honda will aim: MY 08/09 will have 328, IS250/300, A4 2.0, G25, C280, etc. The average of all those in terms of power is in the 230HP range - although the performance varies a bit more. It's unlikely the 08 TSX will have 250HP - it will get there later (via simple turbo boost), but to start, it'll probably aim right for the average.
    Ok. How else can honda add weight to the rear and delete eeight from the front? Moving the ballasts, full size spare tire but still not enough to make it 50/50. Still, i cant think of anw 50/50 fwd car.

So the turbo is out? Wouldn't the tsx only gain like 200lbs by adding the RDX's engine? Also, this is mostly for the gen 2 tsx.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I would think it would gain less than 200 lbs.. unless the suspension really needed some serious beefing up..

Pretty hard to come close to 50/50 weight distribution on a front-driver, but they can do better.. BMW puts the battery in the trunk, and uses aluminum suspension pieces in the front only..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Nobody knows for sure about the turbo yet. I'd be willing to bet an "S" model will be available with the turbo 4, and then a more civilized base model also.

Given that Acura has opened the door back up again with the TL-S, maybe they'll be willing to go that route with the TSX, especially given that the biggest beef about the car seems to be its lack of torque/power. I'll bet it gets the SH-AWD, too. $0.02
    50/50 is easy. Put the battery in the trunk and make it RWD!

Put my name on the waiting list...
    BMW is the only that is hell bent on making its cars with a 50/50 weight distribution. The G35 handles just as well but it isn't 50/50. Those are just paper numbers. Given the current TSX's weight distribution numbers you wouldn't think it can handle as well as it does in real life.

There's virtually no car out there that didn't go up in weight during a redesign. With the TSX it will be just a matter of how much. With an RDX drivetrain and SH-AWD it will be at least 200lbs and probably more. Keeping it FWD only, may mean only a 100 lb gain. The only way it wouldn't gain weight is if Honda somehow downsized it into the compact category - that's not happening.
    Look at how wonderful the S2000 is, can you imagine a RWD Honda/Acura Sedan? Yummy!

Yes, that would be great - unfortunately, it is unlikely to happen.
    Unfortunately, you're right. That's why I own a BMW now.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    One of the car magaizines considered the S2000 one of the best sports cars in the world. :surprise:
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    The leather seats in all my Integra's and Type s Accura's has cracked,because of kidney design.They replaced for free the Type S seatback.
    I was told on here that's what you get when you spend 25K on an entry level Accura. My wife bought a GT Subaru limited AWD and it came with better leather than my car.It 's soft and supple and I love the heated seats.She stores her BMW in winter as she is on call alot and needed a AWD car.
    I 'm buying a new car this spring,but afraid of the TX's leather ,as the TSX is considered entry level. :confuse:
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    I imagine only the type-S will have the 6-speed, as is the case with the TL. Then put those red gauges in the dash, too. yuck.

What I would like fixed is the lousy turning radius and I personally would give up some trunk for a bigger back seat. Yes, I know, I could get a TL, but I did not like the placement of the shifter and it felt like the car was being "pulled" by the engine.

RE: leather I think the Honda/Acura leather is still pretty weak, as is the paint quality. My car is less than 2 years old and my eleven year old Volvo has better looking paint/leather. But the Acura doesn't stall the engine at 70mph :surprise:
    umm... The shifter is in the same place in the TL and TSX and the volvo, Tsx and tl are all FWD unless your volvo is AWD.

As a side note, As Great as the FWD Tsx is, did anyone know that it has a 61/39 weight balance!! This is surprising!

I hope no one wants the Sh-awd TSx as everything with it weighs over 4k lbs.... But a 250hp 260lb ft of torque Tsx with a 2.3l Turbo sounds good to me! Just no Sh-awd unless it weights as a whole less than 3700lbs.

3700 lbs sounds like alot but then again, the RDX SUV with Sh-awd and automatic transmission weighs 3982lbs and gets to 60mpg in 7.1 seconds. It has a 57/43 weight split vs the Tsxs 61/39. The TSX get to 60mph in 8.5seconds with automatic and no Sh-awd. The tsx now weighs 3356lbs

Look Here for any Questions Comments or Concerns

-Cj
    Type-S marketing is when a model reaches the end of the model run - you're not gonna see Type S in the first couple of years of the new TSX. Yeah, a better turning radius would be nice, but FWD limits that.

The paint issue has been address many times - thank the tree huggers. :P

While the weight may go up it won't go up that much - my guess would be 3500lbs with SHAWD.

It's models like the TSX that debunk the myth that you have to have 50/50 weight distribution to get good handling. :shades:
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Well went to Nissan and sat in a 07 Altima 3.5 SL $32,000 car, my son has an o5 and I like it. Did not test drive it since I have to try at night to see if I like HID's. Anyhow for some reason my cheapness detector went off. not exactly sure why. This was a white one and looking on the doors the paint looked funny, kind of like fish scales. Anyhow since this is also an Acura dealer went over and sat in a TSX, also a TL-S.
    Wow talk about nice inside, very impressed with the TSX had to take it for a test drive. This was an auto even with the salesman in the car I pushed it as much as I could. Power as others have said was just ok, not as much as I would like.
    Will have to take on longer drive and try some hi way on ramps and high speed passing, also need to drive at night.
    But the inside quality seemed much better than the Altima and I am an Altima fan. This is too bad since I can get the Nissan VPP program.
    If anyone has more impressions of the auto TSX as far as getting up to speed on high speed on ramps, and high speed passing please comment. I have read most of the posts in this thread. Old Mike
This discussion has been closed.