Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Gas Pedal Sticking on BMW 330--known problem?

jlmedinajlmedina Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in BMW
I have a 2001 330i, I got new and have been having problems with the gas pedal feeling sticky. It's not smooth. I read on one of the message boards when I first got my car that this was a know problem by BMW and that there was a memo sent out to dealerships to repair only if the customer asked about it. I mentioned it to my dealer and the sevice manager said "ya, bmw knows about it but they are still investigating it and have no soulution for now". This is'nt what I heard from other BMW owners. Does anyone have more information on this?

Comments

• jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    It sounds like a the throttle cable needs replacing. They probably do not ave a true fix, but are replacing the cable at the customer request to keep them happy. For now I would go that route, and keep your ear to the ground for the true fix to come out.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I asked about this on the 3series board within the last week or so. I received a reply which stated that BMW does, in fact, have a fix in place. I would contact BMWNA (by phone or through the owners circle on bmwusa.com) and see what they say. If there is a fix in place, they will most likely contact you to see who you want to use for the work and send that service dept the necessary parts (this is how they handled it with my steering retro). Good luck.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I don't think the new BMWs have actual cables anymore. They're "fly-by-wire" throttle now. I believe the problem lies in the pedal itself.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Didn't know they went to fly by wire already. WOW, GM is just wading in the pool on this one, only in the new model trucks, not in any cars that I know of yet.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Corvette, for several years.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    BMW had drive by wire in the early 90s I recall, on the 750s.
  • jlmedinajlmedina Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info on the gas pedal. I also hear a lot of people talk about the noise coming from the door, right above the seat belt. Any solutions? I hear a lot of dealerships are giving owners a hard time about this.
  • chrisc151chrisc151 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my gas pedal replaced twice now because of it sticking, yet my friend has the same year/model and hasn't had the problem. Dealer explained that the problem was fixed in '02, but couldn't confirm if the '02 pedal would fit the '01.
  • y0tsuyay0tsuya Member Posts: 1
    Don't know about gas pedal sticking. A few days ago it started squeaking so I just took a silicone spray to it and voila, good as new.
This discussion has been closed.