Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I saw a stretched, four door 1980 Chevrolet El Camino, with rear doors the same as the fronts, causing a huge V-shaped 'B' pillar. Wacky. Hopefully I'll see it again (it's sitting on Ashland Avenue) and take a picture of it, which I will post.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,549
    ...if you see that 4-door El Camino, definitely take some pictures and post them! Back in March I made up a 4-door El Camino in Photoshop, and I'd be interested to see how the real thing compares!

I'm used to working on a Macintosh, but I'm on a PC at home, so I can't figure out how to post the dang thing here! But here's a link to where I posted it on Edmunds...

/direct/view/.ef0925b/211

It's post #178, the first in that segment.

...I gotta find my brother's digital camera and run over there, hopefully I'll have them up by tomorrow or Monday. It doesn't look a whole lot like yours; like I said, it used front doors for the rear ones, so it's _really_ stretched quite a bit, and since the door glass is so raked on both sides, it has a pronouced 'V' shape to the fabricated B pillar. The car looks to be in decent shape, except it's got some primer or body filler between the doors. I'm wondering what the interior looks like, too.
  • checkmecheckme Posts: 73
    An Acura SVX SUV. It looked like it was from the early or -mid 90's. Has anyone ever heard of this model? It looked like a giant Iszuzu Trooper. This one had consular plates, so it was probably brought here from overseas.
    ...I do see an SVX every now and then, it was basically a rebadged Trooper, that's why it looks like one, checkme.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Subaru SVX is an AWD Sport Coupe that I could be convinced to kill or die for.

The Acura SLX is the rebadged Isuzu Trooper that is/was Acura's biggest mistake EVER.
    But I submit that the 5-cylinder Vigor was a bit of a mistake.
  • no way! I loved the Vigor! It was a kick [non-permissible content removed] automobile.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Die for an SVX? Life is getting cheap these days.

Hold out for an NSX at least if you want something Japanese and highly competent.
  • Or a last-generation RX-7!
    I test drove a Vigor a few years ago (with a 5-speed), then a 190E 2.3 automatic right after (they were on the same used lot). The Vigor was faster (though not what you'd call fun to drive) and roomier, but generally felt ragged. I'm not a big fan of frameless doors on sedans, and the thing still looked like a big Accord. I'm also not a big fan of 5-cylinder engines.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,560
    I was a previous gen Camry so badged today. WTF?
    Must be an aftermarket deal.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• hahaha!
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    Basically Acura did it because Audi did it. I always thought Audi did it because they were stupid. What's the point of an I5? Why not go ahead and make it a 6?

In both cases the cars were clean designs at the same time the engines were done, so it wasn't done to fit it into the available space.

I submit that their current popularity speaks to their success as a design.
  • I saw a brand new 2003 Nissan Z350 in white parked on a parking meter downtown last night. It looked pretty nice, but the hump is pretty portly.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,560
    AFIK Audi pioneered the concept based on the idea that they'd be torquier than a 4 but use less fuel than a 6. Gains in fuel efficiency have
    negated the latter and Audis and Acuras are all even numbered cyl counts now. Meanwhile Volvo now makes a line of Turbo and non-turbo fives--maybe just to be different.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Yep, fewer mouths to feed was the basic rationale.
    It's still a sound concept but debatable as to any real necessity or advantage.
  • well about 30or 40 post back someone asked about the VW pickup based on the microbus . I got a 61 sitting in my driveway waiting for me to restore ..

i drive a truck everynight so i see many cars , i am in ca , but do to the 80's < man i killed alot of brain cells then > can't remember alot of names but i will try lol

today i saw a way pos renault alliance convertable , a La car , and a freugo ? is that spelled right .
    also saw a late 50's early 60's toyota or datsun pickup in back of a house behind a garage and it wasn't on blocks . might go back and see if i can get that cheap it really looked clear from where i was at on the road .
    also saw my first 350 Z car fly by me today . still had the dealer plates on it .
  • I moved to a new house about 2 weeks ago, and am getting the feel for all the neighborhood cars. While I'm only about 10 blocks away, it's on the other side of a major road so the neighborhood's vastly different. I live next to two (2) Eagle Medallions, one a sedan, one a wagon, both really beat up.
  • sildogsildog Posts: 50
    Please get that picture of the 4 door El Camino in Chicago! I am dying to see it!
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,711
    Hey, don't be dissing 5-cylinder engines! The 2.4-liter twin-cam five in my 850 is the smoothest powerplant I've ever known.
  • How often do you meet engines? :)
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Posts: 363
    Today, in SF, I saw for the very first time a BMW 760. Had the 19" wheels on it.

It also had liscence plates with the typical american dimensions, except it said "Consul" at the top and did not have registration stickers. Diplomatic plates maybe?

Anyway, there was a hot mid 20's girl with long blond hair driving it:)
    I haven't seen the four-door ('80) El Camino lately. If I see it, I'll take some photos (I'll even pick up a disposable camera if I don't have the digital with me). It's extra wacky. I have an eighteen hour work day tomorrow though, so probably not gonna happen.

Today I saw a Subaru DL/GL/Loyale (white) with a fake convertible roof (in blue). Nothing has been spared this treatment, apparently. Jeez Louise.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Toyota should have kept them on in the Lexus lineup or something. (T_T)
  • Newer or older one?
    I saw a second-gen (82-84) silver-blue metallic, rusty Cressida wagon near DePaul University yesterday.
  • This morning:

1. A Toyota Cornona wagon- a woodie!- in that 70's avacado green.

2. *3* Hummer H2's. Two yellow, one reddish-brown.
  • I saw a Cadillac CTS this morning. That's how rare they are here.
  • Love that CTS styling, eh? Move to Detroit! >;p