Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I saw that one. Lovely car, fantastic color (only offered for a few years IIRC), condition looks amazing. But you'd need to live in a small town to be able to enjoy it. I think the manual only helps so much in slowly gaining momentum as mopeds and sportier bicycles whizz by :shades:
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I think the one that was on chasing classic cars recently (orange? or was it also this blue?) had about 1/2 as many miles and was a total time warper.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

That's not the Chasing Classic Cars one - that one was indeed an orangey red IIRC, and Wayne found it himself. I think it was a few years older too. 1983 was the final year for the 240D here, which is probably special to an insane slow diesel nut.
  • 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    Pretty sure that one is owned by Weird Harold of Bill Cosby's early years. :D
    Today, a mint preserved Capri would be more unusual than a Pantera. Can't remember the last time I saw one.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Exactly.. I saw a Pantera, last Saturday...

Haven't seen a Capri, since the mid-'80s..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We are geeks

Especially when we pronounce it aloud: "CHIM-sill".

:D
    It's kind of like a PRNDL :shades:
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    "Prindle!"

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Wasn't there some episode of 'Green Acres' where the Gabor sister went on about the 'Prindle'? So now I'm and OLD geek...
    edited December 2012
    I remember it from "Mama's Family"...not old yet, just getting there :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    So funny. Kids who learn to drive today won't get the same satisfaction from "PRND7654321L".

:D
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    Yeah, it was the Mama's Family episode where Frannie (Rue McClanahan) tried to teach Mama (Vicki Lawrence) how to drive, in her '73-74 Duster. At first Frannie goes on about the difference between a gas pedal and a brake pedal (wonder if that was a period jab at the Audi 5000?), and Mama gets annoyed and says "Tell me something I don't know! Like, what's a Prindle?"

Ultimately, she gets Frannies Duster wedged between a '75-78 or so Olds Toronado and, I think, a Datsun or Toyota pickup, and starts complaining "I need a 'S' for Sideways!"

After that, her daughter Ellen (Betty White) took her out to drive in her "Nice, safe Seville...it practically drives itself!" Mama ends up wrecking it. Off-screen, of course, as Mama's Family didn't have that kind of budget. In fact, in one episode, Betty White actually drove her own personal Seville!

Oh, not to be too anal, but I think a '73-74 Duster's shift quadrant would have actually read PRND21. At least, that's what it was on my '68 and '69 Darts.
    I'll somewhat shamefully admit I liked/like that show. Part of it because it is from when I was a kid and I remember watching it with my family...and because it does have some funny bits. Dopey simple humor, not much left anymore.

I also remember when Mama bought a used car from a stereotypical salesman - a blue 73-74 Nova I think, and it had some kind of bad valvetrain noise.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    On my 1979 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency it was PRNDSL.
    Fintail is PR0432 - 1st is only accessible by flooring it and depressing a button under the pedal.
    I have to confess that Mama's Family, at least the original NBC run, is one of my favorite shows! I just loved the chemistry of Vicki Lawrence, Rue McClanahan, and Betty White, and Carol Burnette, the few times she was on it. I pretty much grew up with that show, so I guess it does take me back to my childhood as well...and in some ways I could relate to it, as my grandmother was always a strong part of our family, rather than someone that you just saw on holidays.

And yup, Mama had a blue '73-74 Nova. The whole family piled in for its inaugural joy ride, and after about 100 feet or so everything pretty much fell apart.

There was one episode where they showed Vinton's truck, too. IIRC, it was a Chevy LUV, but I could be wrong. And the one episode where they showed Betty White's Seville, it was a pale green '77 or so model.
    edited December 2012
    Here's the dialog from the 'Green Acres' episode:

Tom Blackwell: (teaching Lisa how to drive) Do you know what these are? (pointing to the gear shift) P-R-N-D-L.
    Lisa: Oh yes. that's a pernundel. My husband has a pernundel on his car, too.

Amazing what one can look up...
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,850
    Amazing what one can look up...

Yep, and I'm sure some quick browsing on You Tube would yield a clip of the episode.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Would the dialog be, "Oh, that's the 1H324R?"
  • 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    And a decade before, we thought it was great that the Olds 442 had the L-S-D power train...or maybe that was something we just imagined ;)
    I think I remember the LUV and the Seville - I remember the episode where she crashed it. Both the learning to drive and the used car episodes are on Youtube as well.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,055
    For me, "Mama's Family" was a guilty pleasure. I think Vicki Lawrence just stole the show.

I remember the '73/'74 Nova episode, as we had a '73 Nova coupe at one time. I also remember the 'pernundl' episode of 'Green Acres'.

I was surprised that Betty White used her own Seville in the show, as a year or two ago it was offered for sale on eBay, I believe, and it was a pale, non-metallic green with a white vinyl top IIRC. I'm a big fan of those 'first' Sevilles...I think they've aged just beautifully. A 62-year old friend of mine whose parents owned several new Cadillacs from '56 to '78 said they had '76 and '78 Sevilles and they were both great cars. I remember when they came out, bolts were encapsulated in plastic to keep them tight...or something like that.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    The other day I passed one of those Sevilles with a For Sale sign on it. I agree, handsome car.

edited December 2012
    A bustleback would have been even more fitting for Betty White's pretentious character - but I guess if it really was her personal car, you can't be too picky.

Here's Mama buying a car

And Mama learning to drive

Obscure car this evening - fairly immaculate first gen Sonata, and it was even red (!). Looked pretty mint, freshly plated too - I suspect something that was stored away in an estate for the past 15 years.
    I'm really, really glad that Mama's Family came along, after I grew up... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It's a great show. Frankly, I love most of the late 70s/80s sitcoms! Stupid humor at its finest.

You're not *that* much older than me, are you? I was only 12 when it came out. And the old Carol Burnett "Family" skits that it was based on date back to the 1970's!

Here's one thing though, that really made me start feeling old...I record the Bob Newhart show, and sometimes the DVR will catch the closing credits of the Mary Tyler Moore show that comes on right before it, and there's always a glimpse of Betty White. Well, ever since I've seen Betty White on TV, which has been most of my life, she's always been an "old lady". But, suddenly, seeing Sue Ann Nivens, through the eyes of a 42 year old, she doesn't seem so ancient.
    Carol Burnett played an awesomely dysfunctional Eunice and Harvey Korman was funny as her bumbling husband.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Bob Newhart

Ahhh. Bob Newhart. Superb subtle humor. Great timing, just like Betty White. Love his appearances in various programs through the years. He's a classic just like the cars in the topic of this forum, grin.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Bob Newhart.

Buddy Hackett once commented that Bob Newhart is such a classy, clean guy that he gets out of the shower to take a pee.
    Speaking of Newhart, I remember watching his 80s show when I was a kid, and the opening credit views had some kind of fullsize mid 70s GM sedan (maybe an Olds?) driving in a scene or a few.
    edited December 2012
    "the opening credit views had some kind of fullsize mid 70s GM sedan (maybe an Olds?)"

Yep, '74-ish full sized Olds, I think:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JdxlRIcn1k
    I gotta confess, I record Newhart as well. It comes on right after the Bob Newhart Show...I forget the channel, but I think it's called the Family Network or something like that. It's getting bought out by some rural network at the beginning of the year, that's owned by some guy who looks a little like Meatloaf.

I just hope that when this channel goes Hee-Haw, they keep stuff like Bob and Newhart around. And Mary Tyler Moore.

Here's some useless trivia...that '73 Olds Delta 88 that was used in the opening credits of Newhart was actually a bunch of B-roll footage for "On Golden Pond" that was never used. I was a bit bummed when I discovered that, since that opening sequence was always "Newhart" to me.

There was one episode where they showed Dick and Joanna Loudon's car and, believe it or not, it actually was a brown Oldsmobile. But, it was an early 80's Cutlass Ciera. I don't remember the exact plot, but he got talked into driving some woman out to someone's house, only to find out she was stalking the homeowner. Or, something like that.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Yes, there really was a time when script writers relied on talent rather than sex and swearing in producing a show! I'd like to see these cable channels go back further and bring back some real oldies like Broderick Crawford in Highway Patrol. A good depiction of day to day police action with a great assortment of mid fifties automobiles. Add in Whirlybirds, Rescue 8, Sky King and the original Fugitive! They already have Hitchcock and Twilight Zone on, so that's a start. I find myself watching old shows on cable more than network programming any more. I think there tends to actually be more variety and plot creativity in the old stuff.
    I got excited the other day because this Family Channel had "Movin On" showing up coming on later one evening, so I set the DVR to record it. But, instead of that old trucker show with Claude Akins in it, it got pre-empted by the Gatlin Brothers singing Christmas tunes, or something like that.

I was bummed, as I'd never seen Movin' On before...only heard about it. Oh well, maybe one day it'll come on again.
    I think we need more shows like Knight Rider and A-Team IMHO!

I think we need more shows like Knight Rider and A-Team IMHO!

I've caught a few episodes of the A-Team on Hulu or Netflix or something like that, and it's good old fashioned 80's fun that I can still enjoy. Knight Rider, OTOH, can sometimes be painful. I think it's because Knight Rider would often try to be too serious, although when watched through modern eyes, it can come off as unintentionally funny.

Good lord, between all those car crashes from CHiPs, the A-Team, Knight Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, Fall Guy, Hardcastle and McCormack, Hunter, and so on, it's a wonder any old 60's and 70's cars are left!
    Love that awesome 1955 Buick Century in those "Highway Patrol" episodes. That show is a car-spotters paradise. I recall one show where they had both a 1955 New Yorker convertible and a 1955 Imperial limousine in it.
    That top picture was from "CHiPs?" I thought that was a picture of you late for work and trying to beat traffic in your LeMans? :P
    I'm a big Newhart fan. I actually liked the show set in Vermont better than the first series, although I'm probably in the minority there.

I remember one time on 'Newhart', Michael's (Peter Scolari) "Turbo Z" was in the shop, so Stephanie the maid (his girlfriend) was sad and pouting that she had nothing to drive. Dick (Bob Newhart) said, "D-d-d-on't worry, Stephanie, y-y-you can use my car." She looked at Michael and pouted. 'Dick' said, "What's the matter?" and Michael said, "Dick, your car's American".

Would probably be apropos for some of the guys over on the GM forum! LOL
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I actually liked the show set in Vermont better than the first series, although I'm probably in the minority there.

Nah, you prefer blondes while others prefer brunettes.
    The top pic was from "Hardcastle & McCormick", but the lower one was from "CHiPs".

Notice how easy it was for those old 60's and 70's cars to go airborne in an accident? No doubt the (not always) subtly-placed ramps helped out a bit.
    edited December 2012
    CHiPs and Dukes - two of my biggest childhood faves. I actually visited some Dukes filming locations when I was in GA. I remember I had a Dukes Big Wheel , watch, lunchbox, and some toys. I also liked Knight Rider and I remember I had some toys of it - but the former two can amuse me in reruns, while the Knight Rider can be hard to watch, somehow.

CHiPs chases always amused me - traffic (mostly cars that were old even then) would be moving at 20mph with one fast car weaving through at a normal speed, and there was always some insane jump or flip. I remember a CHiPs episode about an old woman in a ~55 Coupe deVille who was trying to enter a highway on an exit ramp.
    The one thing that makes Knight Rider seem really cheesy is that all the 80s music in it is not from the original artist.

They must have had at 10 Trans Ams they took in and out of rotation. There is no way they all survived the numerous jump and crashes.

There were always tons of 70s cars to look at in every episode. It made the TA look really modern.

I'm a big Newhart fan. I actually liked the show set in Vermont better than the first series, although I'm probably in the minority there.

For me it's a tossup, as I like them both. I grew up with "Newhart", as we watched it when it first aired. However, we didn't watch "The Bob Newhart Show", so I never saw it until I was well into high school, and some obscure local station started showing it. Honestly I didn't like it at first, but it did grow on me.

Oh, on the domestic car rant, there was an episode of "Mama's Family" where the TV producers were holding try-outs for "Jeopardy". Naturally, they picked Mama. Afterwards, one of the producers sayd "Finally, we can get out of here! I've never seen so many domestic cars in all my life!"
    I think the funniest segment from the original "Bob Newhart Show" was when his thereapy group was going to be on a local TV show. The one guy, grumpy 'Mr. Carlin', was worried that it was obvious he was wearing a toupee. After "Dr. Hartley" (Bob) assured him it wasn't at all noticeable, the cameraman says, "Go put some makeup on the guy with the rug" and he walks right over to 'Mr. Carlin'! LOL
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I watched both of the Bob Newhart sitcoms but during my college years, the original was the basis of a game involving one's favorite adult beverage and the need to drink it down every time someone on the show said "Hi Bob!"
    I've got about a dozen years on you, which is a whole generation when it comes to TV...

I am a big Newhart fan.... Liked both shows, but the 2nd one was my favorite... Larry, Daryl and Daryl... :)

Carol Burnett show was fantastic, and loved the Mama character on it, but a whole 30 minute show was just too much for me..

The whole "old Betty White" persona is funny, but as you noted, she has been hilarious her whole life..

Never got the appeal of the whole Dukes of Hazzard genre... too cheeseball for me (I'm sorry.. I know you love Smoky and the Bandit...lol)

'70s TV? Rockford Files was the best, IMO.... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator