Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    In the 'post a message' box below I see all the buttons, don't you?
  • jljacjljac Member Posts: 649
    edited October 2013
    For the first time in about three weeks I see the buttons on the post message box. When I try to reply to a message they disappear. I can only see these buttons when I use a Google Chrome Browser, not Internet Explorer.

Uplanderguy and I were discussing this change over at the Postwar Studebaker forum on September 22nd at post numbers 2149 and 2150.

Just I tried to post the image from yesterday. I see it on the preview but it disappears after I edit and post this message to the site.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >...don't you?

No.

They disappear when you click the "reply" button.

Hence, my recommendation to keep a second window open to the Naked box that is not a reply and insert your post there, edit, and apply the html codes. Then copy your message to the reply box.

Or just insert an image in the box with the buttons, apply, and copy only the image with the proper markup coding.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Right, they're not there in the reply box. So I either make a new post, or use the box for the new post to compose the message (using the appropriate buttons) then cut and paste the results into the reply.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Saw a high spec early Pontiac Transport - white with white factory wheels, suddenly it's 1991! Also a Topaz, a pristine light blue 87-88 T-Bird, a couple of 70s Civics, and one of those boxy tall Stanza wagons.
    This time, I am using Google Chrome Browser so I can see the buttons, no reply no editing and if you see an image I figured out how to do it, if not I didn't.

Above is the daily driver of a semi famous guitar man named Cooter. This car sits on the street every night, is driven on a regular basis and does not smoke, although it has a 6 cylinder Champion motor. The green one is mine, but was semi-retired about ten years ago although I drive it for a few days every couple of months. Studebakers last a long time so long as the streets are not salted in the winter.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Lots of early 90s Pontiacs had that white exterior with white wheels. That must have been a pain to keep those wheels clean.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    On my way into work today I was behind an absolutely pristine 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix Brougham. White, with a white vinyl roof and a dark interior, couldn't tell the color. I knew it was an '86 because it still had the GM Canada '86 sticker in the window - I can't recall what that was in support of, but I remember them from back then. I was a pristine original from what I could tell, with the original selling dealership badge still on the trunk lid and a perfect rear bumper (they almost always rusted through). It had Rally II wheels, much like the Magnum 500 style, and it looked like it just rolled out of the showroom. Maybe the nicest one I've seen since the 1990s. It made its way into the Dodge dealership across the street from my office, hopefully not to be traded in. Maybe one of the mechanics there owns it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Saw a "like new" 1984 Dodge Omni Charger (not a Shelby) hatchback, burgundy, automatic, 35,000 original miles. Might make someone a nice commuter car, not very valuable regardless. Hasn't run in 8 years, so it has needs. Looks like it just came out of the box, though.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    at the same place (I think) a 72ish GP (just the nose) and a '65 T Bird. Red with hardtop. man, cars from that era just look odd these days when they are sitting with modern cars. You don't notice it so much at car shows, etc. But sprinkled in a parking lot, yeah.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...dark blue 1966 Plymouth Belvedere wagon on Oxford Avenue and Bleigh in NE Philly.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    Those Grand Prixs like the one you saw ('86), I appreciate more now than I did back then. Seems like they were always overshadowed by the Cutlass Supreme and Regal, but IMHO the Pontiac had the best instrument panel of all of 'em and were attractive outside. I didn't like the 'casket handle' door pulls inside that I think I remember the Brougham having though.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,763
    '77 Camaro Z28

1st generation Monte Carlo (lots of "patina" on this one)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I always thought the GP had too many round vents on the dashboard.

I never liked the square instruments and pod of the Buick Regal dash of that era.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    on Rt. 287 in north Jersey, passed (of course) a nice clean looking VW bus. I assume a 70s something. The flat front air cooled post-facelift. Actually moving on the highway.

and darnedest thing, a few minutes later, coming the other way, another one, but this was a 60s vintage (original style) that looked brand new.

unless there was a hippy convention of a grateful dead concert nearby, the odds of seeing 2 of them back to back like that were long.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Saw 3 Merkurs today (2 obviously not runners), a VW Squareback, early no-grille Infiniti Q45, ~86 Tempo coupe in surprisingly nice condition, another 87-88 T-Bird, a decent 78-80 Cutlass coupe, and an 80s XJ6 with real wire wheels.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    edited October 2013
    I think I had issues with all of GM's intermediate car displays from that era. The Chevy design seemed nice, but used cheap materials. The Olds was pretty nice I thought, and seemed to use nicer materials, but the strip speedo really compressed the inner numbers. And if you got optional gauges, they were pretty small.

The Buick dash, I thought, also looked pretty nice for the most part but I didn't like those square cutouts for the gauges, either. And the silver-faced gauges that the earlier ones used were worse. Later models used a strip speedometer that had huge numbers on it. And, there was the digital dash that gave you very little useful info...just speedo, fuel, and a tach I think. IIRC, you couldn't even get full gauges in a Regal, until the final-year GNX. Even in the T-type and Grand National, I don't think they offered a full complement of gauges.

The Pontiac LeMans/Grand Prix dash, I think, tried to mimic the '73-77 Grand Prix dash, but it just comes off a bit awkward IMO. I think making the HVAC vents into little circles was just overkill. And worse, they replaced what would have been one large rectangular vent with two small round ones. So in addition to the two big gauges for the speedo/fuel and the four small ones for idiot lights/extra gauges, you got an extra EIGHT round cutouts for the HVAC!

As for obscure cars, the only thing old/interesting I've seen this weekend is in a video game. My roommate got the latest "Grand Theft Auto" and at one point asked me "what kind of car is that?" I went and looked, and it was a pretty reasonable facsimile of a Sedan DeVille...around a 1978-79. In the game, he had been driving it, but stopped and got out, and when he went back to it, it wouldn't re-start!

Oh, now that I think of it, I did see something kinda sad. I had gone into DC on Friday night. On the way home, I saw a nice black '85 or so Crown Vic sedan, that I usually see parked along the street. VERY nice shape, although it could do without those blingy 20's. Alas, this time there was damage to the rear door, as if it had been sideswiped. Couldn't tell if the damage extended beyond the rear door or not thought. Actually, the trailing edge of the rear door looked like it had been pulled out some, so I wonder if someone opened the door and a passing car hit it? Or maybe it happened when they tried to pry the door open, after it was sideswiped?

Kinda sad though, seeing a nice car like that succumb to the brutalities of city life. But, I guess it can happen anywhere...after all, my 2000 Intrepid was totaled by a hit-and-run in a parking lot in the 'burbs. :(
    edited October 2013
    At a car show in ridiculously tiny Marshallville, OH, in a persistent rain, a black, bone-stock (even bias-ply tires) '62 Corvette with hardtop, and factory fuel injection.

Yes, I know it's still kingpins up front that are the same part no. as a '49 Chevy, but to me, I can't think of a 'Vette that says "Route 66" more to me than that year.

I'd be delirious with even a 250 hp 327 and Powerglide, as long as it was not bright red.

I know the '61 is similar, but I like the 327, narrow whitewalls, single-tone paint, and cleaned-up trim of the '62 much better.
    edited October 2013
    Rare car--only 1,918 fuelies made.
    On the road in downtown Bellevue - 63 (.5 for those who go that way) Galaxie fastback, unrestored, looked decent. And an 80s Toyota 4x4 diesel - might have been a conversion as I only recall 2WD diesel trucks sold in the US.
    ...a 1960ish Austin London cab drove by Saturday morning. A diesel, by the smell. Must be a handful in all of Texas, I'd think.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Land Rover 2 door towing a trailer loaded with a John Deere lawn tractor.
    The tractor looked new, but LR did not.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I've always wondered...are there any statistics on how many '57 Chevies had fuel injection?
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are more '57 Chevys out there now with F.I. than were built by Chevy. ;)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Now show me a 63 Galaxie 500 XL convertible and I'll get much more excited! Seriously, I wonder which coupe roofline would have sold more if they were both available from the gitgo? The fastback certainly looked nice to me, but starting back in 59, Galaxie and a formal coupe roofline were pretty much tied together it seemed.
    Red 450SL with 90s wheels in the workplace parking garage today, and a flat painted or severely oxidized 190E on the road.
    I love this video; you can just feel the happiness here. Full of old cars, trucks, and Jeeps. I notice a Packard pretty early in the video. Filmed by the guy's father. On another forum someone mentioned about people's 'ancestors' being in WWII, like it was 200 years ago. Anyway, great video. I get a chill when I see the gal pointing to the sky as if to say, "Look! No airplanes!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=CZ85j6U2Fvs
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...nice black 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS with black vinyl top at Bingham and Rhawn in NE Philly.
    I saw not one, but two MB W126es. The first one was a metallic brown that had sort of a glow to it...that's the best way to describe it. Like it had just a slight touch of red mixed in, perhaps? The second one was a nice, subdued luxury-car green. Both were in pretty good shape. I've noticed that it's very, very rare that I see a ratted out Benz from that era...usually they're pretty well taken care of. BMW's on the other hand, often seem more hit or miss.

And yesterday, when I picked up my '85 Silverado from the shop, they had a burgundy '37 Chevy 4 door in there that was good looking, resto-modded with modern wheels/tires, at least. I had to ask what year it was, although I guessed pretty close with 1938. They also had a 1978 Malibu coupe up on a lift, with all the wheels off. Looked like it was in pretty good shape. It was green, but a non-stock looking green. Sort of like that "Spring Green" that was used in the early 1970's.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    andre, how is the work coming along on your Desoto? It's been a while since you've provided us with an update.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

W126s can age well when maintained, and do often attract a more mature audience. Still tons of them on the road around here, some nicer than others. The most neglected ones you'll see are W124s and W201s. Sounds like those are nice colors - brown works on that body design, and there's a nice green one I see now and then here, too.

Here's something I just noticed, in my area anyway, Craigslist now has the ability to search vehicles by year.
    of that Continental Mark V I occasionally see near my job...

Sorry about the pole, but I was stopped at a traffic light and that was the best I could do!
    Period colors for sure.

Also a final run/facelift (94-95) MB W124 in the background - that design aged very well.
    Doesn't that Lincoln front end and color remind you of some 70's & 80's big Chrysler's?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Actually, I think the Chryslers were trying to mimic the Lincoln.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Agree and some of those Chrysler's I thought came out pretty sharp in the looks department. With the recent Sonata and Fusion, I'm thinking cars may be heading back to a more angular styling theme for awhile now. I guess time will tell.
    I'd love to have a Mark V. I passed up a 79 Collectors series some years back in great shape for a stupid low price. I still kick myself for not buying it.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Nice ride, same option set and interior color as my 89 was. Mine was just about as clean as that one. You don't see silver/blue too often.

I bet he gets 6k easy.

Very western WA scene this afternoon - Volvo Amazon wagon to the right of me, MB W116 300SD to the left. Also saw a 560SEC and a ~65 Cutlass 2 door HT.
    Current bid is market correct @ $5100.
    I sold mine in 2004 for $4500. I guess they gone up since then, at that time that was top dollar according to my research.

Or possibly just regained where they were. Lotsa "classic" cars took a huge hit in 2006--2008. Some of the "hot ones" lost 50% of value and are now just breaking even again. (e.g., Shelby GT350)
    andre, how is the work coming along on your Desoto? It's been a while since you've provided us with an update.

Still in limbo, at the shop, and nothing's been done for quite awhile now. I know I should try to light a fire under the mechanic, but I've been procrastinating myself now!
    At some point, some Ford stylists jumped ship to Chrysler, even before Iaccocca transitioned over. That's one reason that some cars took on a heavy Ford influence. I think it really became apparent starting in the late 1970's. For instance, the R-body (Newport/New Yorker/St. Regis) had a strong creased look reminiscent of what Ford was starting to do. I always thought a 1979 Newport looked like a cross between a LeSabre and a Grand Marquis. In 1980, the Aspen/Volare got a minor update up front that made them look like a Fairmont/Zephyr in my opinion. Also in 1980, the Cordoba/Mirada had more than a passing similarity to the 1977-79 LTD II/T-bird/Cougar.

Ford tends to get credit for kicking off the "luxury compact" craze with the 1975 Granada and Monarch, but the domestics must have had some kind of foreshadowing, that there was a demand for nicer, more upscale compacts even before that. The Dart and Valiant, for example, started going for a more pretentious look starting in 1973, and they even started adding ritzy Valiant Brougham and Dart Special Edition trim levels for 1974. But then, the Maverick LDO came out in 1972, so perhaps this is no big surprise.

I think Chrysler really started going for those more pretentious, upright front-ends starting in 1974, with the redesigned Newport/New Yorker and Imperial. The Newport/New Yorker grille seemed more Mercedes-inspired, though. I wonder if the Imperial's hidden headlight look, which would transfer to the New Yorker in 1976, was inspired by Lincoln, or simply done because the '69-73 had hidden headlights as well?

For 1975, the Plymouth Gran Fury and full-sized Dodge Monaco offered top trim levels that had upright grilles. The Monaco had hidden headlights and looked pretty sharp, IMO, although the Plymouth, with a big Mercedes/LTD-esque grille, and an odd mis-match of a single headlight and big rectangular turn signal didn't work as well, IMO.
    The rather svelte "new" 1983 Ford Thunderbird was a result of Ford execs absolutely hating what their design teams were proposing for the 9th generation 'Birds--they looked like warmed over 8th generation cars. The "faux Benz" styling was getting old.
    I think the 1983 T-bird still looks futuristic by today's standards. I think the main things that betray its age are the fact that it's a coupe, has a big overhang with a short wheelbase, and small wheels and tires.

Some styling features, such as aircraft-style doors, large windows, and low-slung profiles are always "modern" in my opinion, so much of today's fleet is actually pretty throw-back, style wise. FWIW, the T-bird's windows weren't all that large for the time, but by today's standards they certainly are.
    The '83 is not perfect but it could have been another 1982! Arghhh!