Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

F150 vs. SuperDuty F250

richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
edited February 2014 in Ford
The only thing you're missing is that the SD F-250 is wider, taller and smoother riding.

Rich

Comments

• stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    You missed more fuel efficient. Numbers I've seen for the V10 are often higher than the V8, implying that the 5.4L is a bit underpowered. Of course, YMMV :-)

Then again, I'm ordering a F350 CrewCab 4x4 DRW diesel myself... total came to $33,781 plus tax and fees. Not bad for everything but the kitchen sink.

Considering that that's only $6,836 more than the half ton supercab SRW 5.4L, I think Ford has a real winner here.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I was surprised that the Superduty wasn't priced higher.....pleasantly surprised, of course. I figured they would take advantage of the tough new look and additional options. The V-10 option is only a little over $200. I'd have paid more. It's nice to see that Ford chose not to gouge us. I suspect it wasn't because of their undying love for the customer, but rather their determination to maximize the number of trucks they get on the road this year.
  • dunbartondunbarton Member Posts: 46
    Isn't this comparing apples and oranges?

A pleasure vehicle vs a work vehicle?
  • kirkpamakirkpama Member Posts: 64
    My F250SD may be considered a "work vehicle", but it sure is a "pleasure to drive".
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    dunb,
    I don't think we are comparing apples to oranges. A work truck or pleasure truck, it doens't matter. Most people here have bought a truck for both. In fact, most probably would say they bought a bigger better truck for pleasure.
    The difference in cost for a fully loaded 250 and a 150 is more than worth or so. I plan to use my truck primarily for pleasure with a little fun (boggin' in the everglades) thrown in. I want to know if I get stuck, the V10 and winch can get me out! :)

Ryan
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    To follow up, I meant to say that the extra $500 or so difference in the F150 to F250 is more than worth it. The only thing the F150 has the 250 doesn't is fog lamps. Big deal, I can throw those PIAA lights on my brush guard with the winch install.

Cheers,
    Ryan
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The sad thing about that breakdown is that it's not limited to Ford. All the trucks are priced like that. As we have all debated in other topics in the conference, the manufacturers want people to buy half-tons instead of cars. Thus you get the jacked-up price for them. The heavier duty trucks also have the benefit of not having to meet the same fuel economy or emissions standards, so the manufacturers can put whatever powertrain combination they want without as much fear of regulation.

If you want a real sticker shock, take those two truck prices you have up there, and compare them to a "comparably-equipped" Explorer Limited, an even smaller truck.
    The F150 is strong enough to use as a work truck, and the SD is nice enough to drive as a pleasure vehicle. Of course, the SD will out haul/tow the F150, but IMO the F150 is not as nice to drive or ride in. This is probably biased, as I like the feel of big trucks, but I'd love to see the F250 SD V8 compared to the Dodge V8 (or V10 to V10) in the next review rather than the F150. I think a lot of people will like the styling on the SDs better, and for the same money there's no reason not to get the stronger truck.
  • dunbartondunbarton Member Posts: 46
    Kcram

I think essentially you hit the topic right on target ...... I'm looking for the "cushy" ride of the loaded f150 and still have a truck and the manufacturers know this and they "gotchca."

The pickups of all manufacturers are their highest profit vehicles.

And yes, I have noticed how much more an F150 XLT or Lariat 4wd "Off Road" equipped truck costs than a similar F250 SD.
    Pickups are more profitable for manufacturers than SUVs? It must cost a lot more to make an SUV, because they sure are a lot more expensive. Although prices continue to go up, I still think a pickup is one of the better bargain vehicles, unless you're going for a real econo vehicle. A midsize four door sedan is going to run you over $20,000.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Brutus,

Unless they use very specialized parts, SUVs are no more expensive to build. Look at a Suburban for example. It's on the exact same 131.5" wheelbase as the long bed regular cab pickup. From the back doors forward, it's the Crew Cab pickup. Add a "cap" and a roof and your done. However, because they are then marketed as people haulers, not cargo haulers, they can command a premium over a work truck. GM supposedly clears in pre-tax profit $10,000 on every Suburban; Ford clears $14,000 on every Lincoln Navigator.

The pickups, on the other hand, *collectively* make more money for the manufacturer. Ford is on pace to screw together 800,000 F-series this year (maybe more as they pick up slack from GM), so when you multiply it out, the F-series makes more total money than the Expedition.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    its supply and demand, and right now there is one hell of a demand.
    That is what I figured. I was having a hard time believing that manufacturers make more money on a pickup than a SUV. I can see it in overall volume, but not in per auto figures.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Personal truck? Who wants the SD? What about the light 250? Sound as though more should check that out.
  • bobobobo Member Posts: 1
    who has the f-250 super-duty diesel? do you like it?
  • auction1auction1 Member Posts: 1
    What about the 1999 F-150 - am looking to replace my present 1996 blazer. Good move or bad.
  • ron4ron4 Member Posts: 24
    auction1

Its really a matter of personal preference. I like the looks of the f150 better than any truck out there. Thats one reason I got a 99 f150.

Most people dont need a super duty that weighs about 1200 lbs more, burns more fuel, takes longer to stop, and wont fit in some garages. As they advertise, it is more intended for commercial applications.

I will be using mine to go to work, hunt, fish, and pull a camping trailer and boat.

If you go to a supercab (rather than a regular SWB p.u.), be ready for a loss of nibleness compared to your blazer. It will take a bigger circle to turn it, and parking and garage space will be affected.

But, I dont think I'd ever go back to a regular, non supercab.

I really like the superduties, but the f150 serves my needs/wants better.
  • signasigna Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone compared mileage on the F-250 SD with the 5.4 V8 to the V10? Is it a significant difference?
    Nope, they're about equal from everything I've seen. Check the 1999 SD conference, the delivery issues conference, and the gas mileage (and gas v. diesel) conferences for more details.
This discussion has been closed.