Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Aftermarket and your 99 Super Duty?

wolf2wolf2 Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Ford
I'm curious what you SD owners are going to
be putting on your trucks, as far as aftermarket
things? My F250 SD "should " be here in late
Sept. And was thinking of what I wanted to add.
It will probably be awhile until the aftermarket
companies catch up to the SD. But I'm thinking
Dual Cat-back, K&N filter, nerfbars, bed liner
just to start. How about you?

Comments

• stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    I'm adding headers and a cat-back system (single) from Gale Banks (system includes filter, etc) and a Rhino liner. That, and transferring my current 12 speaker stereo system... Probably nothing else for quite a while.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I've heard a cat-back system will not void any warranty. What about the headers? How much is the cost of the cat-back ($600ish?)? What benefits do you expect to get with the headers and cat-back? What's the difference between single and double cat-back? I'm not that familiar with cat-back systems.
    The cat-back only systems seemed to add less power than the headers but that's where most of the mileage savings comes from. Note: this information refers to the 460 as figures for the 6.8 aren't out yet. I was unofficially told that the percentage gains will be similar though.

Single and double cat-back would refer properly to 1 or 2 mufflers. It is often used to refer to dual outlets (a standard apperance option). The GB systems are single all the way though, which can be just as good if well designed.
    I'm also going to be adding a fiberglass topper (probably the 1st thing) and a turnover ball 5th wheel hitch (before the rhino). I'm wanting the
    topper for our pups to ride around in on long trips -- I'm impressed with SnugTop in general, but they don't seem to offer the front sliding window the way ARE does (for some a/c pass thru). Oh well, I've got a couple of months to pick a brand I guess.
    Stanford,

I read in a previous post that you are getting a 4x4. It might sit a little high for your fifth wheel. Several companies have developed a rear lowering kit for the trucks for fifth wheel towing. I've even heard that Ford will do it free of charge. Some people are having no problems towing the fifth wheels on the 4wd SD, but more seem to need the lowering kit.
    What percentage gains have you heard with the cat-back and headers as far as mpg, hp and torque on the 460? What is the cost of the Banks cat-back and headers?
    Take a look at

http://www.galebanks.com/GBford.html

for more information. The cost of the cat-back and headers is around 1700-1800 (not sure as its a new design). If it can get 15% on the V10, it will pay for itself in mileage alone and won't carry the same maintenance burden that the diesel would have.
    For the hitch -- I meant to say gooseneck, not 5th wheel (although there is a nifty 5th wheel attachment). I've seen many stock-looking SD 4X4s towing 5th wheels also.

What is the rail height on the 4X4 Dodge 3500? How many inches difference are we talking about here?
    I'm not sure. You might post the question in the Dodge and Superduty areas. I know a few of those guys shopped both trucks pretty extensively before buying what they did, and many of them are towing fifth wheels. My gut feeling is maybe two inches, but that's just a guess.

Thanks for the info on the Banks system. I'll check it out. A 15% increase would be pretty impressive. That would mean 1 1/2 - 2 more mpg, 40 more hp, and 60 lb-ft more of torque. The mpg sounds reasonable, but the torque increase seems a little high.
    Don't underestimate the torque difference a good pair of full length headers can make. 60 lb-ft wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Don't forget that this is a full-day (well, 7 1/2 hour) install job either. Count on getting greasy, or paying a shop $400-450 to put it on for you (the full system).
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    stanford,

Ok, I know I'm gonna show my diesel bias here, but if you're going to put up $500 of additional motor oil for the 100K mile diesel, put up the maintenance for the V10s, too. They WILL require at least one tune up in that 100K period that the diesel won't.
    My dad took his 97 F-350 PSD into the dealer for it's 30,000 mile maintenance recently (mostly towing a 35 ft fifth wheel) and he had almost $500 bill. That's about average for a gas engine if you take it to a dealer every 30,000 and do the recommended maintenance. Of course, you don't have to take it to a dealer and you don't have to do all of the recommended maintenance. You can always choose to run it until a problem occurs, but if you're looking for longevity, the preventative maintenance is a good idea. Barring an unexpected major repair, I suspect maintenance cost will be the same for the gas and PSD during the first 100,000.
  • richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
    Brutus,
    What on earth would cost $500 for the 30K maintenance?
    Rich
    When I sold my truck, I gave them my maintenance receipts, so I don't remember exactly what they did when I had it serviced at 35,000 miles. With the 92, it was a mini-tune. I think they flush the coolant, service the EFI, service the brakes including lubing the caliper slides. There is the standard lube and oil change and tire rotation. It just adds up. It wasn't anything big or out of the ordinary, just a combination of little things. They did do about $500 worth of warranty work on that visit also, including replacing axle seals. Although I spent the $500, I really didn't spend much on the truck again until the 60,000 servicing. The only exception is that I opted to change out all of the belts and hoses around 50,000 miles before I went on a long trip.

I'm not sure what my dad had done with his PSD. He's going to be in town next week with his truck. I'll ask. There wasn't anything wrong with it when he brought it in. I'm sure it was just a combination of small things.

My attitude has always been to let the dealer have their way with the truck every 30,000 miles, even if it cost me a little more than taking it somewhere else. I'd rather err on the side of doing a little extra work and spend a couple hundred more every 30,000 miles then to have a minor problem develop into a bigger problem that will cost me big bucks. Whenever I've taken it to the dealerships, they've also usually found problems covered under warranty that I didn't know were there, and they also occasionally do little voluntary recall items.
    Has anyone out there purchased a hard shell for their SD that they're particularly happy or unhappy with? I'm looking for one that matches the following criteria:

Good color match (black, shouldn't be hard)
    Clamp on, not bolt on.
    Sliding front window to match to the truck rear
    Good styling: nice, smooth, matches the truck

ARE looks alright, but they don't say if they have clamps for attaching. SnugTop also looked nice, but they only offer solid front windows (and the boot that replaces both, but I want to be able to take this on and off easily).

Any ideas? Hints? I've seen a couple of Predator shells that looked decent, but they didn't seem as slick as the others. Anyone have a website for Leer tops?

Thanks...
  • mrwonderfulmrwonderful Member Posts: 6
    Stanford,

I'm really happy with mine, here's the details.

I recently purchased an ARE topper for my F-250 SD long bed. It can be clamped or drill installed, (mine is clamped). This is my second ARE top (1994 was the first) and I never had any problems with topper movement or fading etc. When you order the top, they take the paint code from your truck... ARE uses the same factory paint, so they match like a dream. You cannot tell my woodland green top wasn't painted at the factory. There can be subtle differences in black so it may or may not be an issue with you.

My unit has the sliding front window as you request, various side window options are available. I opted for the dual-design rear hatch which actually has a plexiglas walk-in door as well as a full width, top to bed hinged door. If I remember correctly it is a model MX. Also, the interior is finished in an almost fabric-soft material, (time to go camping) and a neat fold down clothes hanger is also built in.

Anyway, this particular topper is way too heavy for taking on and off... but ARE has several other styles that should satisfy your needs.

Good luck with your truck... and your shell purchase.

Mr. Wonderful
  • sam17sam17 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone tried to get Ventshades for a 99 SD CC. Do they fit correctly?
    Sam
    I just spoke to Frank over at Gale Banks -- the V10 powerpack kit hardware is in production now; the computer chips are still being finalized. They should have pricing and performance information in about 2 weeks, with final product availability in 45 days (or by the end of November).
  • singer4singer4 Member Posts: 43
    Stan--can you fill me in on the intended performance possibilities of the power pack from Banks for the V-10, F250, Ext. Cab. 4.30----need help in making a good decision. Thanks. JB
    Will do. I'm guessing 50 HP, 50-75 lb. ft. of torque, and 10-15% mileage gains based on prior experience and other products that they put out. I'll post the dyno tested numbers as soon as I have them. Cost is probably going to be ~$2000, plus installation if you don't want to do it yourself.
  • longhairlonghair Member Posts: 72
    We all seem to agree that the factory TT mirrors have problems. Has anyone seen an aftermarket heated and/or telescoping replacement? If Ford isn't responsive enough, I'm sure someone else might be, but who?
    If I ever get my truck, I'll be looking to move my winch over to it. Warn isn't making bumpers for the 99 diesels yet. Has anyone seen any yet?
    longhair: All of us? Personally, I love the TT mirrors on the SD. I don't really see anything to be gained by pulling them in, and heating is not really a problem for me. The view is fantastic... I wouldn't trade 'em for anything I've seen in the aftermarket. If the convex portions were adjustable it would be nice ... but the stock positions are fine once you're used to them.

Wouldn't it make sense to take delivery before claiming that some things just won't work? Has anyone suggested to Ford that these mirrors are bad? If not, how can they be accused of not being responsive?
  • f150manf150man Member Posts: 42
    I agree with you the TT mirrors leave much to be desired.
    I have "heard" that Ford ambulances have a heated mirror option... this may be aftermarket and not of Ford origin???? I can't verify it yet... but I am going to persue it. Ford has made unbelievable progress on making trucks... but the guy in charge of mirrors hasn't retired yet (I think he must be related to Billy Ford and can't get fired). I wish they would really make some progress in this area.
    Does Ford ever talk to truck owners? Heck no. I have been driving Fords since 1975 and they have never called me to ask my opinion. I have even written them a few letters, but they don't follow up... Thankfully, the rest of the truck is darn good.
  • mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    longhair,F150man

I agree with you on the mirror's! I sent apost in on the 99 super duty site and not one person resonded concerning the mirror issue. I have been on that site since March and I do not remember any discussion on the mirrors. I have got to believe it is a problem for every one who has truck in all parts of the country. I feel the rear slider should also be heated. It would be so easy to heat the mirrors and the rear window slider it's a sin!

They absolutely should be heated. I have had 3 mornings of frost thus far and 7-10 mornings of heavy dew. I need the mirrors clear because the rear window and the rear cap window are always coated with ice or dew. I do not have time to run around the truck in the morn. while also trying to get two kids to school and myself to work by 7:45.
    There should have been an optionfor this. I looked at a friends new Tarus and they were heated and the vehicle was almost half of my cost!

If you guys hear of any after market applications available, please let me know. Again I have been driving Ford trucks since 77 and know one has asked my opinon either. I have also contacted the factory.

Mroffshore
    stan - my apologies for lumping you in, but the chatter on other sites has included a good deal of discussion on the mirrors.

I realize that I don't have my truck yet, but I objected to the mirror setup during my test drive. And I'm asking the question now because I would cancel the power TT mirrors (save ~$150) if I knew I could find an aftermarket unit that I liked better.

I included the telescoping because other people were asking about it (and I was a little surprised to find that they didn't because they really look like they should.) I'll agree it's not an issue for me because the DRW sticks out just as far. But wouldn't it be nice for the SRW folks to be able to decrease their profile?

What I would like is:
    - heating (at least from Oct to Mar - I guess I only need it half the time ;-) since the truck will never see the inside of a garage.
    - fold both ways so it survives better parked on the street. (I know someone will tell me to fold them in when I park, but that's a step that usually gets skipped when responding to emergency calls)
    - an adjustable convex (maybe larger too?)
    (In other words, something completely different than the OEM setup)

Many Ford Ambulances (E-series chassis) have third party mirrors (Velvac (sp?) being the most common) and these are available heated. I'll have to give them a look, and will report back. (Our rigs don't have them, so I hadn't thought of that - I just needed someone to tickle my brain a little.)
  • dennis4dennis4 Member Posts: 47
    Does anyone have a tonneau cover for their SD? Any suggestions on a manufacturer?
  • joejoe Member Posts: 16
    I don't know if anyone else has done this. But I had my dealer replace my driver side TT mirror, because of the convex mirror was pointing at the ground. The new one isn't any better. Maybe if more of us ask for these things to get replaced Ford might do something about it. I just got my owners survey and I will be including my comments about how bad these mirrors are. Two times I have almost hit someone because these mirrors are adjusted so bad, I think these things are a safety issue.
  • RichRich Member Posts: 128
    On the mirror issue: It's a love hate relationship. The left shows too much truck and the right one shows too much sky. It would be nice if the Dumbo ears could be slid in closer to the door, but........

On the vent shades for the SD. I ordered a set for about $52. These are the type that just snap in to install. I installed them in 5 minutes in the dark. They're great. The nicest thing about them is that they're not really obvious when looking at the truck.

The vent shads are made in Germany and they're handled by a company in the us called Mac something or other. The real key here is that they are 'micro machined' and just snap in without tape or screws.

Rich
  • tom50tom50 Member Posts: 14
    Rich,
    do you have the info to write or call for the vent shades? Would appreciate it. Thanks
    tom50,
    I can't find my latest copy of AutoWeek. They usually run a full page ad in the first dozen pages or so. After things settle down and the kids go home I'll look and get you the info.

I've had stainless types before, but these are superb!
    Rich
    For those of you considering the roll up or fiber glass tonneau covers, take a look at the TrukBox from Creative Industries. Mine was about $560 installed. It's all aluminum, white powder coat that matches Ford white very well. The fit in the Super Duty is unbeliveble! There probably isn't a quarter inch clearance. The really neat thing is that this box is about an inch over the bed rails and the lid SLIDES to either side. It has been through some heavy rain without any leaks. The deluxe model comes with the paint and carpet. I ordered it after seeing a brochure on the product and a conversation or two with their VP of marketing. The quality of the product is second to none! The nicest thing about the TrukBox is that I can't see it in the rear view mirror.
    Rich
  • tom50tom50 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the info, Rich. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm going to call on Monday. Tom
  • sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    I need some info from you folks. Because I'll be snow plowing in my new F250 SD, I have considered getting the bottom of it undercoated to prevent the undercarriage from rusting. I will be keeping this vehicle a long time (8-10) years, and want to keep it as nice as possible. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks.
  • tmd01tmd01 Member Posts: 23
    I am shopping for a new truck and the SD is high on my list. I want a top and some heavy duty bumpers. But I have some concerns.

1. I'm concerned about security with tops and sliding rear windows. Around here, Houston TX, the thieves consider stealing a truck as part of their initiation for gang entrance. Trucks with tops seem to stolen more than others. The tops are easy to break into and sliding rear window, I hear, easier. What is the use of having a locking tailgate if it allows them easier entrance to the truck through the top. I admit it keeps them from stealing the the tailgate, but that's a minor compared to the truck. Further, only camping tops seem to be largely advertised. Where are the commercial tops advertised? I'm almost at a point of designing and building my own top because I cannot find the top that meets my desires.
    2. I see a number of heavy duty bumpers around town, but do not ever see advertisements for same. I've seen a maker called Ranch Hand, but there must be others. Does anyone have information on these units?
    tmd01,
    I've had a slider on both my new SD and older '92 F-250. LA is the stolen car capital of the world. I've been using a "CLUB" for years now. After the first week or two it becomes a habit.
    Rich
  • AKMarkusAKMarkus Member Posts: 21
    Ditto on "The Club" tmd01. I live in Katy and from my experience here cars with the Club just don't get messed with much. The thieves move on to easier targets. Also I heard on the news today today that Ford trucks here on the Gulf Coast are not nearly as likely to be stolen as the Chevy.
  • thebigredonethebigredone Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know where you can get big mud flaps that look good on a SD 250? All the ones we have seen are to small or look like a farmer's creation. I pull a boat and am worried about throwing rocks. Thanks
    thebigredone,
    If you don't mind triming and cutting, go to your friendly full service truck stop. They sell trucker mud flaps for $15 to $20 each. I've seen them in black and white. Buy a set, cut them to fit, install them with stainless hardware and silicone rubber.
    Rich
    The Banks PowerPack is complete and shipping for the V10 motorhome application; the F-SD application is undergoing final tweaking. The person I spoke to this time was fairly useless, but I'm getting the V10/MotorHome info sent to my house. I'll post the numbers when I get them. They should be close to the gains recorded for a truck/trailer combination.
    Well, results are available it turns out. The RV spec numbers (a little misleading as they're measured at the rear wheels) may be found HERE. In a nutshell, about 25% better horsepower and 15% better torque. That puts flywheel numbers up to ~340hp and ~470lb.ft of torque. These numbers assume that the % loss of the drivetrain used in the motorhome is fairly constant. I'll post the F-SD numbers when they're available.
    stanford,
    I've had a conversation with Gale and he knows what he is doing. He'll give you the horsepower and torque without burning your pistons. His company has been around for many years. I've never heard anything bad about the company. A couple of people at different Ford dealers speak highly of Gale Banks. That's good, considering he is some of their competition.
    Rich
    Oh, I have nothing but respect for the company. Great diesel products -- and I fully intend to get the V10 powerpack as soon as its released.
    stanford,
    I was speaking to (his name escapes me) at GBE just a few weeks ago. He said that the V-10 has been completed and that they were starting on the Diesel. Maybe he was speaking of the engineering but not the production???? I'd give them a call.
    Rich
    I did on Friday. The V10 motorhome is out, the guy I spoke to said they were playing with final tuning on the pickup version. I'm wondering if they're going to bring the powerband down a little -- I'll take the numbers the MH is getting though :)
  • jeffijeffi Member Posts: 11
    DOES FORD REALLY LOWER THE REAR FOR TOWING GOOSE NECK TRAILERS? MY F250 4X4 IS ABOUT 5 INCHES TO TALL. I WAS EVEN THINKING ABOUT TRADING TRAILERS.
  • tnt2tnt2 Member Posts: 115
    I've heard that they do at the time of purchase or shortly there after. Don't know how much of a hassle it is to get it done though. I do know that a friend with an F450 wrecker, had them put 550 springs on the back because he said the 450's were softer than the 350 he traded in. He went round & round and finally won, they were going to charge him around $1700. Make the dealer be on your side, if they won't find another dealer.
  • mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    Anyone hear of after market heating for the regular side view mirrors for the SD trucks? The ice scrapping is killing me!

Mroffshore
  • tnt2tnt2 Member Posts: 115
    Anyone ever use a Banks Trans Command for the E40D. If so how did you like it and how did it perform while towing. Thinking of installing one to get more control over the OD and firmer shifts.
  • moe7moe7 Member Posts: 24
    Hello all!

Has anyone seen a unit called "highrider loading system"? It's used to carry an atv on the bed rails
    of a truck keeping the bed free for other things.
    It also saves on the cost of a trailer and registration of said trailer! Just wondering how well it was made, any input would be great.

Thanks,
    moe7
This discussion has been closed.