Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

99 Ford SD 250 Crew Cab 5.4 V8 help

scaperscaper Member Posts: 9
edited May 2014 in Ford
I'm looking at a new SD F250 for a tow vehicle for
my lawncare bus.I prefer the reg cab with the PS
and auto combo. Power and better fuel mil. Now my
better half says why not a crew cab and a 5.4V8
auto with the 373 axle? Not her exact words but
close enough. Will this set up tow a max of
6000lbs. and still provide fair mil. I only pull my
equipment trailer four times a week. Every other
day I'm driving around to work or giving est. for
jobs. One point I have to make, I have three
children that I have to take to daycare and school
not often but when I do I need the space. Could put
a cap on the reg cab with a seat belt in the rear
if all three have to go at once. The price between
the two is a wash when you consider the crew cab
vs. the PS. Does anyone have any exp. with a crew
cab or ext. cab 99 F250 4x4 with the 5.4 V8 gas
motor? If so please let me know what you think of
this motor / trans combo. You can E-Mail me at
LEver39537@AOL.Com Thanks for your help great
site.

Comments

• philw1philw1 Member Posts: 10
    I would get the 6.8 v-10 $285 (invoice) more, about the same milage and alot more power.
  • glenn2glenn2 Member Posts: 39
    I agree with Philwl, the v-10 will be loafing along and I doubt there would be 2-3 mpg difference. You would have the power when you need it and the truck would be easier to sell when you get rid of it. Most folks who buy a truck that big tow with it and will want a V-10 or a powerstroke. Scraper in 88 I let a salesman talk me into a 351 in a 250HD instead of a 460, but I'm older and wiser now.
  • maplemaple Member Posts: 16
    I've driven a 250SD 4X4 with the 5.4 and it could use some more pep if you got a load to haul or pull. By the time you load it down, the V10 would probably get as good as it mileagewise. Your trade in will be worth more once word gets around that the 5.4 is OK for commuting but that's it. You can replace 2 V10's for the price of that diesel. Know anybody who has 125,000 miles or more on their crew cab who hasn't had half of the front end replaced? I had a 1997 2WD 250 crew cab with the PS and it smelt like diesel in the cab often. Also the oil change costs $54 at the dealership. I went back to a gas. But if you pull trailers often, especially on the highway, the PS is it.
  • glenn2glenn2 Member Posts: 39
    Maple I have a 93 Supercab 7.3 and I have never had a diesel smell in the cab. boy that would get old quick. And your right the $50 dollar oil changes get old. I try to do them myself when I'm at home. with the price difference between the PS and the V-10, I will have to consider going back to gas when this one dies. but it runs as good at 96,000 as it did new so that won't be for awhile.
  • drozdroz Member Posts: 30
    I have the v-8 supercab F-250. I have towed my Bobcat for a total of 7500 lbs. I also don't do it often but it was certainly sufficient. I guess if I were doing it all the time and needed to accelerate fast, then the v-10 or diesel would be a better choice. I am not sure about the gas mileage. I have heard all sorts of things but nothing absolute. But if there really is a 2-3 mpg difference, that would still be a lot to me for my purposes. Obviously the initial cost difference is minimal unless you want the diesel.
  • chadw1chadw1 Member Posts: 22
    droz,

I would like to know exactly what kind of mileage you are getting with your 250 V8.

scaper,

I was in the same boat you were when I ordered my f-250 cc. I wanted a heavier truck (up from my '93 f-150) but didn't want to fork out the $4000 extra for the PSD and a friend of my brothers had a v10 and was getting 9 mpg in town. NO THANKS!! Now he has a PSD.
    I looked at the extended cab, but for an extra $1000 (approx.) I could get the crewcab. When me and my family (me, wife,2 kids)travel out of town we take the truck plus we use the truck 50% of the time in town. For my needs the 5.4 V8 is fine.
    One after though, I was at the ford dealership the other day I picked up a brochure comparing the 1999 F-250 LD to the F-250 SD the new LD has a 260 HP 5.4 and SD a 235 HP. Max towing was 8700 and 7800 respectively.

I'll still take my 250 CC, I wish the new sd come with the extra HP and torque, But like one of my co-workers always says "wish in one hand and crap in the other and see wich one fills up first."

cw
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Was this a Ford or a Dodge V10? I find it unlikely that he's on his second F-SuperDuty already...

The Dodge V10 has a rumored mileage of around 9-10 while the Ford is traditionally at around 12-14.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Stanford,

My guess is the 4.30 with the dually will get in the 9-12 range empty and 8-10 towing, depending on how heavy the load is. The 14mpg range is likely for the SRW 2wd 3.73 owners who have a light foot.
    I agree.

The Dodge V10s are running 9-10mpg empty at best from what I've heard though. I'd hate to see their towing MPG.

Then again, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really care all that much... :-)

As an aside, I'm calling Hilltop today. If my order wasn't pulled (and I don't think it was, or they'd have called me), I'm switching to the Dark Toreador Red Metallic, even though its on hold. Am I nuts or something?
  • trap2trap2 Member Posts: 19
    I've got an F350-crew-swb-5.4-auto-4.10-4x4-900 miles on it. I'm getting 10 mpg city, 14 mpg highway.
  • philw1philw1 Member Posts: 10
    F-250 sc lwb v-10 auto 4X4 3.73 11-12mpg city 14-15mpg highway.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Stanford,

You're likely going to own this truck for awhile. Unless you absolutely need to have the truck sooner, rather than later, I wouldn't hesitate to change the color, even if it means waiting a little longer.

When I ordered my truck, I knew exactly what I wanted....except for the color. I was surprised at how long it took me to decide. I finally ended up on black, almost out of default. I looked at a lot of well maintained, older trucks (10+ years old), and the ones that were black and white seemed to look the best. My last truck was offwhite with a mocha stripe, so I opted for the black. The white is the safest color. It will hide your scratches and dings. The black will show dings and scratches easier, and it will be tougher to keep clean. The "clean" aspect was a moot point for me. I'm moving back to Alaska. There is no such thing as a clean vehicle in Alaska, regardless of what color it is. It's a matter of being "more dirty" or "less dirty". Prior to my order being pulled last week, I didn't see any color that made me want to change my choice of colors, but I was looking right up to the last minute. I never thought I would own a black truck.
    I was not kidding about him saying he was getting 9mpg in his FORD cc drw. It was green (very nice truck). Now he has an amber and tan truck with lariet pkg (very,very nice truck). And yes this is his second truck (I know for a fact that he paid cash for both of them)
    Also, I don't know all the details of the truck, like rear end and such, but I do know that his foot is a bit on the heavy side.

In the Wichita Falls, TX area I have noticed alot of xlt trucks with 5.4's that are being used as work trucks. I do believe that the v10 in these fords are going to be great for these trucks when towing alot.

cw
    His second SD? Already? What happened to the first one? Or was the older one a '97 with the 460? The SDs have only been out 6 months or so.
  • shawn5shawn5 Member Posts: 5
    anybody have any info on the 3.73 and the 4.10 rear end compared to one another in gas mileage concerns. e mail would be appreciated. just check my profile.
  • drozdroz Member Posts: 30
    chadw1,

I am getting about 12-13 combined mpg with my F-250 v-8. Except for that and the difficulty parking and maneuvering, it is a superb vehicle. I switch between it and my Toyota so I only have 1500 miles on the Ford so far.
  • leedtleedt Member Posts: 1
    I have to replace my 91' F-150 supercab do to an accident. I want another supercab with an 8' foot box. I have 1100# 8' pickup camper that I use off and on and an 18' ski boat, so I need payload and towing. I have been looking at the F-250 SD because it seems I can't get a F-250 with an 8' box but I'm concerned about mileage since I use it to drive to work. Can you tell me what you are getting for mileage
  • dadhartdadhart Member Posts: 2
    Just read a whole lot of news about FORD SD owners and expecting owners and I am now wondering if there is any chance of me receiving my order . I ordered a F 250 SD /V10 auto trans/ XLT LARIET/CREWCAB /SB fully loaded on SEPT. 1st 1998 .I would like to think that I would not have to wait 3/4 mths to receive my new toy up here in WINNIPEG, CANADA but now I am wondering what my chances are on a delivery date NEW YEARS EVE. The delay in my order may give my dealer a chance to add a LTD. SLIP DIFF. to my order now that I found out it should be avil. Thanks for the information enjoyed all the great letters and will give you a up date when I get a VIN no. .
  • singer4singer4 Member Posts: 43
    DadHart--just scroll back to Topic 159, Post 577--some insight and Ph.No.'s that might help. Good luck with your unit!! JB
This discussion has been closed.