Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy/Dodge/Ford......looking @ but have ????

stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
edited February 2014 in Ford
Full front axles are generally stronger than IFS in 4X4s, and have the additional advantage that when both wheels are compressed the diferential stays at the same level, rather than being lowered towards the ground. Most 4X4 mags like them a lot. In the real world, its probably a nonissue unless you do a lot of offroading on decently tough trails. Some say that the straight axle rides rougher -- I don't see it myself.

ESOF doesn't give you the option to shift the transfer case into neutral, which may or may not be important to you. I like it, personally, especially for repeatedly shifting between 2wd and 4wd (eg: snow and ice, muddy roads).

I love my new F350, so I'm biased. The Ford has the advantage of being most recently redesigned. If you go for the Ford, get either the V10 or the diesel; in the Dodge, get the diesel.

Comments

• cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    if you don't tow that often, diesel may be wasting money, unless you just like the diesel. It depends on just how heavy you want to tow. if you're just pulling a couple thousand lbs, a few times a year, the money saved on gas motor will buy 4 years of fuel. but if you're pulling close to the towing limit of a 3/4 ton truck consistently, diesel will save you in the long run.

My household has a 4x4 with IFS and a 4x4 with a solid axle. The IFS is a MUCH smoother ride. The solid axle sits up higher. Performance wise, its been a toss up, whatever you like.
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Is the IFS truck a newer or older design? My '99 Ford is my first 4X4 and its smoother than some IFS 4X4 trucks I've used briefly.
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    Stanford: you stated that the ESOF doesn't allow you to switch into neutral, which you see as a negative b/c you like to do that in certain road conditions... but I don't understand why you would want to keep switching in snow/ice, or muddy roads, or heavy rain/flooded street (more of a problem here in SW Florida, as opposed to snow). Why wouldn't you just leave it in 4wd for the time you needed it? That might help me decide what I eventually buy.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    You really shouldn't use 4wd unless you're able to have a certain amount of wheel slippage. This does not apply to full time 4wd vehicles which are designed differently. Most center differentials force the front and rear wheels to turn at exactly the same speed. Normally, whenever you go round a corner your wheels are all turning slightly different speeds. At best, you've got increased tire wear. At worst, you're putting a bit of strain on the drivetrain and can cause some more serious damage.

Having said that, I should point out that this is a cumulative effect. Driving in 4X4 high a few times on dry streets won't kill your truck. You probably won't even notice any real wear. Doing it all the time, however, would not be a good thing.

Personally, I like ESOF. It's your call however.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    stanford

the solid axle is a '92. I'm sure their have been improvements over the past 7 years.
    I meant that I liked the ESOF. Sorry for any confusion. The reasons are as stated :-)
    Stanford: Thanks for the information. I was just a little confused reading your very first post (that prompted my question). I thought you didn't like the ESOF for that reason. But I see what you were saying now - that you like ESOF for the repeated switching. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought that I was going to spend money for the wrong reasons, but now I know I'm not missing anything.

Thanks again,
    Ryan
  • verdeverde Member Posts: 1
    If you have a manual transmission and the ESOF, you can switch into neutral with the stick. Doesn't that achieve the same results as switching into neutral with the 4X4 shifter?

By the way, I want to thank you all to responding to my original questions in this post. They have given me more information, which is a help in trying to look for a new truck.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Airwolf,

In winter conditions when the highways were well graded, I'd ride in 2wd. However, as soon as I exited the highway, I'd shift into 4wd since there was alot of stop and go on roads that often were not as well maintained as the highways. The ESOF comes in handy for stuff like that.
    Thanks for the info. I had decided I wanted ESOF, then reading the original post, I thought I had picked the wrong thing. Now I know that I didn't. Today's the big day for your Brutus!! When are you going to get the new truck?

Let us know!
    Ryan
  • linz01linz01 Member Posts: 2
    Can someone please help me!?!?!

I've been given the choice of deciding between
    one of the new Chevy heavyduty 2500 4x4 V8, new Ford F250 (heavyduty)4x4 V8, or a Ford F250 diesel.
    I've never owned anything but Chevy's. And I'm a little concerned with the fact that not too many people know everything about the new Chevy's.

I usually am only pulling a two-horse aluminum gooseneck trailer, so my load is not that heavy.

The reason for the option of 4x4 is mainly because of the appearance of the trucks. My current truck is '96 Chevy 350 Dually. It gets the job done fine, but I can't stand the way it sits down low, especially compared to the way the new Fords sit.

My other dilemma is my concern for the new Chevy's manual transmission. I must have manual, I can't stand automatics. But I haven't heard anything about the Chevy's. Also, please report any problems with Ford's manual transmission.

Thanks!
    Linz01
    First off, if you get the gas Ford, get the V10. Its within $300 of the price and, IMO, well worth it.

I have a new Ford F350 4X4 V10, and love it to death, so I'm a little biased here. Either the V10 or the powerstroke would be more power than you'd need (I still wouldn't get the ford V8 for the price though, for resale considerations if nothing else). One good point is that the Fords are on their 3rd or 4th production line cycle, and have caught most of the first-year glitches already.

My last truck was a Ford diesel stick-shift. With the low range (1000-2800 rpm) you will find yourself shifting an awful lot in any kind of slow traffic. This may not be an issue for you -- it got old for me, but I use my truck as a daily driver.

The Chevy (I believe) has the optional full-time 4WD. The Ford does not, but does offer ESOF. I'm not sure if the chevy AWD is available on trucks over 1/2 ton.
  • linz01linz01 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Stanford!

I really appreciate your help!!

If you hear of anyone who has bought or
    even test-driven one of the new Chevy
    3/4 tons, let me know because I'd really
    like to hear what they think!!
  • bigmaxbigmax Member Posts: 11
    To Edmunds,I am interested in a ford F250 lite
    duty,all l see is pricing info on the F250
    superduty,are you going to put pricing info up on
    the Ford F250 lite duty?
    thanks
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    bigmax,

I just noticed Edmund's compltet omission of that, because I was looking for the link for you. Instead, go to www.kbb.com - Kelley's has all the info you need.
  • bigmaxbigmax Member Posts: 11
    thanks kc
  • sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    Should be getting my new F250 SD in about a month. I have to have protection for the pickup box, but have been hearing some bad things about bedliners. I've been told they will rust out the box over the years. People are telling me instead to have the box sprayed with a type of undercoating. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this matter. Thanks.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    There is a topic area on the spray-in liners that discusses Rhino liners and other brands. I had a Line-X sprayed in the box of my new truck and it looks better than the original paint.....in my opinion. The cost was $395 for a long bed, under the rails. They have a website at www.line-x.com.
  • SkiVailSkiVail Member Posts: 1
    No. I've been owning a truck for quite some time. About 7 yrs. Now grant it 3 of the years was with a bed cover on it, but the rest was weather.
    I pulled it off and did a cleaning, the pait was rubbed off in some places but the bed was not rusted at all.
    Danny Picou from Gonzales
  • grasshopper1grasshopper1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a new 1998 Dodge Ram SLT 4X4 5.2L. I have never had a Dodge truck before and have a few concerns about the mechanical reliability and longevity. It rides and looks great, but is it a good truck in the long run?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    My personal reason for ordering Insta-Trac on the Silverado was to get that stick off the floor. But the earlier point about not being able to put it into neutral is valid even if you do have a manual transmission. But it usually only matters if you need to tow the vehicle behind something. By putting the transfer case into neutral, the transmission will not rotate as the vehicle is towed down the road. This is important, because ordinarily, when the engine is driving through the tranny, oil is being pumped to lubricate it. But when it is towed, damage can occur. So when the transfer case can be put into neutral, the tranny does not turn as it is towed, even though the rear driveshaft spins. The front driveshaft won't spin because the hubs are dis-engaged. This is probably not a consideration for trucks, but many smaller SUVs are towed as dinghys behind motorhomes, so it is very useful to put the transfer case into neutral rather that remove the driveshaft for towing.
This discussion has been closed.