Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• terumi1terumi1 Member Posts: 130
    We purchased our Honda Pilot EX-L Navi in November. We love the car. I have made various postings in the price section, problems section, accessories section, etc.... So rather than regurgitate those postings here, just click on my name and you will see what I have been posting.

Traded in a 1989 Honda Accord LX-I. Original owner...I believe in buying new and holding forever (seemed like forever). Got $1700.00 for the 1989 at the dealer. Very good price. Car had some rust from northeast winters around the wheel wells. Sunroof leaked a little. So that was bad. Mechanical and interior were perfect, but overall, due to rust and sun roof leakage, car would have struggled to be in the category of, "good condition". More likely in the category of, "fair condition".

You can see the price I paid for the Pilot on my other postings along with other info passed along.

Thanks Edmunds. Your website was invaluable in defining many issues for me on this whole car buying episode. Particularly the article, "Confessions of a Car Salesman". I think all car salesman have read the same article!

We love our Pilot!
  • mdogramdogra Member Posts: 19
    Bought New 2004 Nighthawk Black Pearl Pilot EX with Grey Leather on 11/21/03 from Tom Miller Honda (MI) for $30600 out the door(includes price+ tax + title + new plate + rear splash guards + cargo trey). This was a Christmas gift for the family.
    Edmunds.com is doing a great job in increasing the consumer awareness. Thanks and good luck to all fellow Pilot owners. Enjoy...
  • sapia1sapia1 Member Posts: 4
    Picked up my EX-L 2/03 but sat in my garage 'till July when I return to Fl. Paid 33M with added front bumper, chrome mirror caps, chrome bumperets, wood grain all around, crossmembers,mudgards,fog lamps. Just added side stripes with Honda logo on front doors, body color vinyl door guards and chrome molding to fenders wheel edge to match chrome package for $65.00 from the same guy that does it to the area dealers.Dealer wanted $150.00 Looks fantastic and drives like a dream. Read a lot complaints about sloshing gas, helicopter sound when rear window is open, poor city/highway gas mileage . Glad to report have none of those. Feel like a king when am in it. Quiet, powerful, fast, luxury at its best. Replaced a Pathfinder, what a difference.
  • gymrat79gymrat79 Member Posts: 3
    Great Webpage,Karen!
    Tom from Rochester,NY--purchased in Aug '03.Really love the vehicle so far-I did leave a question under the "problems" sight-hope someone can give me some insight.
  • ccgeggccgegg Member Posts: 19
    Um, hi. We welcomed our new baby at 7:08pm last night. We named her Nighthawk Black. 4400 pounds, 2 ounces. 188 inches long. EXL-RES. Saddle interior. Dad and baby are doing well. It'll take us a few days to get comfortable with each other, but she's definitely a keeper.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,929
    congrats. welcome.

this board doesn't see much action, but the other Pilot boards (Accessories, Problems, and Prices Paid) usually get a few posts a week.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• biologistbiologist Member Posts: 5
    I have had my Pilot since June 8 2002 the week it was officially released. I Have only had to bring it in for the 2 major recalls or whatever they call them for the timing belt tensioner problem recently and the reprogramming of the Airbags.

Other than that i have only had some very minor nits. i.e. the driver side windshield washer nozzle sometimes leaks without using them.

I have driven my car in Death Valley and on the dirt roads around Southern California. Works great to me.
    One thing though is I take my Pilot to Acura for the major services since Honda dealers around here seem to nickel and dime you for certain things that are supposed to be done. Acura does everything for one price with no extras....

Eric the Desert Rat
  • lhr79pilotlhr79pilot Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my '04 Pilot EX-L on Valentine's Day, and the build date is tomorrow; I can hardly wait! My husband informed me it WILL be the biggest and best Valentine's gift I'll ever get, which is fine with me. I didn't search around for the best price (Massachusetts) because the dealership is highly recommended and only 4 miles from work. I didn't want the Navigation system since I enjoy finding my way around the old fashioned way. I ordered several basic options (fog lights, cross bars, trailer hitch, etc.)and expect to be quite pleased (read, ecstatic) when I pick it up in a couple of weeks. Anyone name their Pilot?
  • pilotfanpilotfan Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 2004 Pilot w/RES (black w/saddle leather) a week ago after extensive research. I love it! Had planned to purchase a Nissan Murano (longtime Nissan owner), but I am so glad I compared these vehicles. Far fewer reported problems with the Pilot here at edmunds and similar sites, plus the fit/trim on the Pilot is better (IMO) than the Murano. Looking forward to owning my Pilot for many years.
  • memojomemojo Member Posts: 9
    ... after trading in a 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd. Put 200+ miles on it today, with seven passengers, and it performed flawlessly. My only complaint is a small fluid leak that appeared overnight. Can't tell if it's oil, transmission, brake, power steering or what. All fluid levels look OK; I'll call the dealer in the a.m. Hopefully it's nothing serious -- it's been 25 years since our last Honda (a '79 Accord that worked like a charm) and I'd like to believe they've only gotten better.
  • toolatetoolate Member Posts: 2
    My Nav is erratic. I can't program any "personal address". The system just stalls. The dealers are not too knowledgeable about the nav and how its suppose to work. They gave me a special number for help but all they could do is take orders for updated dvd. I think Honda has a real problem area here. If you haven't used your system much, do so before the warranty expires.
  • senorpilotsenorpilot Member Posts: 2
    Well, our salesman delivered from out of town, to our bowling alley (it was league night) so I asked him to bring it there. We did all paperwork in the bowling alley!! Best of all, paid little more than invoice!! My wife and I feel that it was a fair price. Looking to add accessories now. The kids absolutely love it!
    Our local dealer has no competition, so we looked at Los Angeles angeles, and finally settled on a desert dealer east of Los Angeles. We love our Pilot so far... Still original owner of a 92 Accord DX that drives/looks like BRAND NEW!! What a great site for info. I look forward to reading more posts.
  • massmanmassman Member Posts: 21
    could you tell me what dealership you went thru looking to purchase in the next two weeks, also have you been happy with vehicle and dealership since purchase
  • hondadenhondaden Member Posts: 13
    I haven't seen much discussion about Honda's certified program discussed here, so I'll share my recent shopping experience. My wife and I were shopping for a new Pilot and we were shown an '04 EX. I liked the '04 alot and was not really swayed to look at the '05's since the only significant changes were a 15 more HP and a sunroof. While on the new car lot, I walked over to the certified car lot and found 3 Pilots, all '03's. The one that caught my eye was a Silver EX with just over 14k miles. I was astonished at how much better the warranty for a certified car was compared to a new one. 7 years 100k miles on the powertrain and an extra 12 mo. /12k miles beyond the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. The '03 was no different than the '04 we were looking at other than the 14k miles and it being $5k less to purchase.

I suppose the moral to this post is if you want to save some money and get a decent warranty on a nearly new Honda, their Certified Used program may be worth a look for you too...
  • abisabis Member Posts: 4
    I have a 04 pilot EXL.Can I use the synthatic oil from the beginning instead of the regular oil. I am not sure about using synthatic oil on the new engine. Any advice!

thanks,
    Abi
  • hondadenhondaden Member Posts: 13
    There are clear advantages to syn ove non-syn oil. But if you're chnaging your oil every 3k miles or 3 months, I know I'd be hard pressed to spend the extra $5 per quart at each oil change. What's more, if you have your oil changed every 3k miles at your dealer and should the engine fail, I'd bet you would be in better shape getting help if the engine had a failure with a oil change service history at Honda then if you went on your own with syn oil. Good Luck...
  • tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    It's not $5 extra. I just got a 5qt container of Mobil 1 for under $20 at WalMart. You can get generic brand oil for about $1, but most name brands like Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc go for $1.50 or more (sometimes less when on sale). So the difference is closer to $3 than $5.

If you are getting your oil changed every 3k miles, than perhaps you are getting it changed to frequently. Depending on a users driving conditions, Honda has a recommended range for oil changes - 3,750 under severe conditions to 7,500 for normal. According to Honda, most people fall under the normal category.

I'd be curious to know what type of oil your Honda dealer uses for changes (if that's where you get your oil changed). My dealer uses the recommended oil from Honda for the Pilot, which is a synthetic blend and get it changed every 5k miles.

As for the original question about sythetic oil, I use have used it from day one in my '98 Subaru and have done so with my '04 Subaru. I put about 28k miles a year on that vehicle and the added protection synthetics provide at higher and lower temperatures is something I feel is worth the extra $75 or so per year it costs.

For more info on the topic, here's an interesting article on synthetics. http://www.patgosscarworld.com/syntheticdifference.htm
  • tomertomer Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a honda pilot 05 EXL hawk black grey interior today 12-11-04 pick it up tommorow,Owned toyotas all my life great cars have a 90 camry v6 downstairs bought it new and only put in an alternator,Great car,Looked at the Highlander it was nice but all the options were too much compared to the honda hope i like the honda,Paid 29 thats it,Told the dealer heres my offer take it or leave it.Seems like i got a good deal,Moonroof heated seats leather interior 6cd changer,more bang for the buck compared to the highlander.
  • leoleo Member Posts: 9
    I got the Pilot on 1/28/05. Is a great vehicle. I paid $34,850 take home. I think I have got a great deal. One problem, I kept hitting the windshield wiper stick every time I trying to get to the column shifter.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    I know what you mean, I washed the windshield once already trying to put it into drive. Funny placement of the trans stick.

I got my '05 EXL this past Tuesday. It's really my wife's. They expect 3-5 inches of snow today, so it's her first experience driving a AWD in the snow.

Norm Koller, Staten Island, NY
  • quiptownquiptown Member Posts: 1
    KarenS,
    I need to know how to get the maintainence required light off on my 2004 Honda Pilot. It has 25k miles and runs great. Thanks.
    I'm not sure Karen can help you, but I believe I can.
    This procedure is also in the owner's manual, by the way ...
    while the car is off, press and hold the odometer trip reset button, then turn the key to position 2 and continue holding the button until the maintenance light goes out. That's it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• leoleo Member Posts: 9
    Karen,
    The instruction is in the owner's manual instrument panel section for 2005.
    The steps are:
    1. Turn off the engine.
    2. Press and hold the select/reset button on the instrument panel, then turn the ignition swith to ON(II) position.
    3. Hold the button for about 10 second until the indicator goes off.
    Good Luck.
    Leo
  • rossco1rossco1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Pilot EX-L for about a month. We bought it used with 19000kms on it. Yes I am from Canada. I am looking for accessories such as a roof rack system to go with the factory rails. I hope all the bugs have already been exterminated. I eagerly look forward to searching for information from you experienced pilot owners. ">
  • paglapagla Member Posts: 11
    After long comparison and research and test drive, finally we bought Pilot EX-L and driving it for around a week now. Feels big and powerful. Only problem is to keep the animal within 65mph in california freeways for first 1K miles.
    I am looking for some seat cover and steering wheel covers. If anyone knows any good stores (web or b&m) and can share ... that would be great ...
    Thanks
    Rahul and Runa
    Rancho Cordova, CA
  • zen76zen76 Member Posts: 12
    seat covers for EX-L ? Its leather... dosent need any covers...
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Hi, Rahul:

There are no custom made Pilot seat covers. Your options are:
    1) Buy covers from any automotive store and see how well they fit on the Pilot. Trial and error.

2) Get them custom made from India. Take pictures and dimensions of your seat (height, width and seat depth).

Out of curiosity, which other vehicle was on your short list before you decided on the Pilot. What do you like about the Pilot?
  • fred25fred25 Member Posts: 92
    How would one closed the moonroof in the event of an electrical malfunction. Is there a manual control to closed this moonroof? The owners manual does not have the answer. My dealer does not have the answer. Can anyone provide some answers.

Thanks

Fred
  • sharpster68sharpster68 Member Posts: 3
    Hello me and my wife just bought a 200f EX the Maroon color with mud guards, white pinstripes 2 inches below side window level, alluminum wheels. 6 disk changer, cloth seats ans got up here what they called the northwest package- interior treatments, paint treatment, invisible bra on front of hood headlights and mirrors and the undercoating done. have about 2300 miles on it now made a 240 mile one way trip and a camping trip which involved narrow gravel roads and some pretty steep hills which was done after the 2000 mile point. Love it and dont plan on getting rid of it till its ready to go to the Pilot heaven. handled awesome even with the stock tires o the twisty steep gravel roads.
  • tom3tom3 Member Posts: 8
    Hi folks
    Did any body experience out of this fabulous 2005 EX-L .
    Whenever I am driving w/40 mph and up w/right side window pane pullled down and left side up I am getting a grumbling noise .The noise increases as I increase the speed .The same is NOT true when I repeat with left window.

I was wondering if this is severe .You know what I mean like suspension,struts,ball bearing etc. etc.
    I would appreciate if any body has any suggestion or advice .
  • marcus16marcus16 Member Posts: 11
    As a longtime Honda fan, I've owned several Accords and a Civic, my 2003 Pilot LX hasn't lived up to expectations.

I enjoy the car in its present state, but I've had to endure several recalls, a malfunctioning side airbag system, window seal noise, and recently I've discovered the roof rack and bike carrier accessories are poorly designed, rendering them useless for me (see my post in the accessory forum).

Everything has been addressed, but the issues have left a bad impression.

I'm glad others are having better experiences!
    just curious, but could you elaborate on this malfunctioning side airbags and several recalls?

As far as I know, there were 2 recalls for our '03 Pilot. One was simply a reprogramming of the airbag system. Although it worked, they weren't completely satisfied with its timing. The other was for the transmission.

There was a timing belt issue with the water pump (NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 02V226000), plus the transmission and the airbag software as you mentioned.

Also, my side airbag light would not go out. The dealer had to replace the Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS) unit - luckily it was under warranty. My colleague had a similar problem with a CR-V and she wasn't so fortunate.
    Ah, ok, you had an early model with the timing belt interference issue.

All in all, I wouldn't say 4 problems should be considered a big disappointment, especially if you have never been left stranded by the vehicle, but, obviously, that's your right to feel that way. good luck in the future.

Please re-read my first message. I have had 6 issues so far - 3 recalls, a faulty side airbag computer, window seal noise (technical service bulletin) TSB, and the ridiculous roof rack design. I love Hondas but this has been frustrating. I doubt anyone would disagree that this is surprising for a Honda. This would be disappointing for any owner, let alone the prior owner of 4 Honda vehicles.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Pilot, but I won't buy again during the first year of a new design, and I won't be so quick to recommend Hondas.
    well, the roof rack was designed that way before you bought the car, so I don't consider that an issue .... frankly, that's just poor research on your part. The window seal noise? well, ok, if you really insist on calling that an "issue", so be it.

Wow, I think you're more of a Honda zealot than I am! Please don't take criticism of a car personally.

Poor research on the roof rack? How many new car buyers look at the installation and load ratings for roof racks and accessories before purchasing the car -- did you? Others have expressed frustration with this.

There has been lots of discussion on this site and others about the window seal noise -- it's been an "issue" for many. I had to take the car in twice to have this addressed, the second time was the charm, window seals for all four doors were replaced.
    we don't even own our Pilot any more, and it was the first honda I ever owned. So I think you are reading a bit more into my comments than they deserve. I defend all cars in this same manner when it comes to people complaining about things I don't think are issues that really deserve complaining, that's all.

our pilot had a little rattle/creaking noise that came from the dash above the stereo, however i never once complained to the dealer about it, nor did i ever complain about it to other owners or potential owners. To me, its just not worth the breath it takes to complain. Same with the infamous gas tank slosh. Some owners acted like you just shot their dog when they heard it for the first time. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't get it fixed if its that annoying, but does it really deserve to be listed as a disappointment or even affect your appreciation for the vehicle?

actually, i did look at the roof rack first. BUT, no, i don't expect all owners to look at it. But those who don't, in my opinion, shouldn't call it an "issue." If its important enough to complain about, its important enough to look at prior to purchasing. That's kind of like buying it to tow a 10,000 pound trailer only to find out afterwards that it won't.

All of the problems I mentioned were considered "issues" by Honda (excluding the roof rack), enough to warrant factory recalls or technical service bulletins. You may choose to consider them irrelevant, but Honda doesn't, and neither do I. They adversely affect the owner experience and that's why Honda tries to remedy them - which they've done a good job with, in my experience.

You may have looked at the weight rating for the roof rack, but I doubt you read the installation instructions for the crossbars and accessories. These reveal the deficiencies in the design. Please read my posting in the accessories forum before commenting. Regardless, just because I didn't research this before purchase doesn't make it right or less of an issue.

I didn't say the Pilot was a big disappointment, just a disappointment compared to my high expectations driven by prior owner experience.

I still believe the Pilot is a fine vehicle, it just had some growing pains. I'd love to have the 2006.
    but I doubt you read the installation instructions for the crossbars and accessories

you assume wrong.

let's just say we differ on the severity of the word "issue," and leave it at that.

by the way, a TSB only means there were enough inquiries from service departments on the complaint that Honda issued a standard response for all dealers to refer to when presented with the complaint. Its basically a "ok. stop bugging us. here is our form letter response."

Let's take this outside. :)

If I may ask, where did you get the installation instructions and which ones did you look at, before buying your Pilot? They certainly don't come in the brochure. :)

You're incorrect on the TSBs -- if I'm not mistaken the TSB issued for the window seals compelled Honda to redesign the part and/or acknowledge a defect, much more than a form letter. You're right that some TSBs simply say "By design," e.g. the crazy rear open window noise, but not all.
    i researched as much as i could on another dedicated Pilot forum on the internet. You can find just about every set of instructions there.

for that item in particular, i wanted to see how difficult it was to install to determine what price I'd let the dealer sell it to us for at the initial purchase. At the time, folks were talking about how you could possibly break some part on them (this was almost 3 years ago, so i don't remember the details). So when the dealer came back with a price of about $25 more than they would cost to buy myself over the internet, we went ahead and let them add the bars pre-delivery.

• ur2slowur2slow Member Posts: 1
    Two weeks ago we purchased an 06 Pilot. We currently have 4K miles on it and the only complaint we have is that at highway speeds the driver and passenger side windows make a noise like they are "moving" in their respective channels. Has anyone else experienced this problem ?? Normally this probably would not be noticed but the car is very quiet at highway speeds and of course each window is by your ear.

Thanks for your input.
  • cjg2cjg2 Member Posts: 1
    Drove me crazy too. Just bought it and noticed it the next day. Both rear window dividers was loose causing the window to rattle. The front ones the tech made a door adjustment. Rides quiet now. I was disappointed that it left the factory in such condition. It was very noticeable.
  • wrodwrod Member Posts: 4
    My 2004 Pilot EX-L is the ninth Honda for me, but it's going to be my last. In the past I've always been happy with Honda quality, but the Pilot has not lived up to that standard and their smug attitude has totally alienated me. The transmission recall issues and various brake problems were just the beginning; at least they were willing to do something about those.

From the beginning my Pilot often produced a loud "thumping" sound when braking; they first refused to acknowledge the problem, then told me that it was a "characteristic" of the vehicle, not a problem. :confuse:

Then at about 20,000 miles the vehicle started sporadically losing power; it felt like a miss and it would lose velocity on a level highway, requiring me to kick it into passing gear to get back up to speed. Gas mileage went from 19mpg to 16mpg. I have taken it to the dealer several times, and they even had the Honda district service rep to look at it. But because it doesn't show a code on their diagnostic equipment they insist that there is no problem and they refuse to do anything more about it. So I called Honda's "customer service" hotline, and got a smug person who essentially told me that they're not going to do anything to help me because there's nothing wrong with my car. When I tried to escalate, I was told that there was no one to escalate to; I had reached the end of the line. :mad:

Since there are others who have had good experiences with their Pilots, I have to conclude that Honda's quality control on this vehicle is poor. If you're buying a Pilot you might get a good one or a lemon. :lemon: And if you have to deal with Honda due to problems with your vehicle, you are going to get BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.
  • mysweetjorgemysweetjorge Member Posts: 3
    Honda has finally lost it....through its bad customer service!
    I called up American Honda to document my ongoing problem w/ my Pilot while still under warranty.
    Its a sluggish acceleration issue which is intermittent.
    I was given a case number and a case manager was assigned to me.
    The problem is, I cannot replicate the symptoms or the problem itself w/ the dealership. The case manager called me up and informed me that American Honda will no longer be responsible for any charges should any Honda dealership charge a diagnostic fee should you bring in your Honda vehicle for diagnosis even if the problem is not replicated.
    So, I asked her....what am I paying for if they cannot determine the problem?
    Their time!

If you're experiencing problems with your Honda Pilot and you want to show it to the dealer, ask them first if it will cost you anything.
  • catherine3catherine3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, did you ever resolve your braking issue? I had problems with the thumping sound for about 6 months. They said they fixed it at first, but it came back. Now they tell me it is fuel sloshing around when the tank is half full. I have recently had an issue with the brakes where when I apply them, sometimes I will feel the brake pedal move out from under my foot and the car will brake further without me applying pressure. Since the check brake light doesn't come on and the technician who drove it for 10 minutes can't replicate the problem, I am getting nowhere. I haven't called Honda yet, but don't have much hope from what I've read on this site.

Thanks.
  • crazymancrazyman Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my Pilot 2006 on Dec. 30 I got the exl for total of$30080 out the door that included 5.5 wis tax and 55 dollars for lic.title. I was happy with the price seems great so far except for finding out the screw job on trailer hitch and cross bars.