Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Care and Scheduled Maintenance

13»

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    most people also use their oil changes as reminders for other services like tire rotation, fliud level top off, battery check, and filters (air and oil).

I already went over to the local Goodyear and had the Lifetime Warrenty added to the Goodyears that came on the Pilot ($10.00 per tire). This way every 6000 miles I get the tires Repressured, Rebalanced, and Rotated for Free, and every 18,000 I get the 4 wheel alignment done (strongly recommended for 4WD vehicles). I have had this in the past on my Escape, and when I had a problem with the original 60k treadlife tires on the Escape, I got a Full replacement at no charge, but since the tire that was on there was no longer produced, it was replaced with a tire comperable at no charge.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    most people also use their oil changes as reminders for other services like tire rotation

Good point - the oil change is the only time some people's tires get checked for proper inflation, much less rotation!
  • komodo519komodo519 Member Posts: 8
    Then the Honda reps should be telling people to check THOSE things at a certain mileage interval. Not get the oil changed at such and such mileage. I am not trying to be mean, but if an oil change is the only time that some people check for proper tire inflation, let alone the other things, then they deserve the problems that develop with their vehicle.
    "Then the Honda reps should be telling people to check THOSE things at a certain mileage interval. Not get the oil changed at such and such mileage."

But don't forget, some care sales people don't know the vehicle's they sell or the maintence intervals from a hole in the wall. Then again, so sales people, will tell you all that, but customers will just plainly ignore it.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • jkoehlerjkoehler Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to locate the ATF drain plug on my 2004 Pilot? Thanks.
  • suvtimesuvtime Member Posts: 58
    I have a 2003 Pilot and have noticed the engine is starting to look like it could use a cleaning. Do most of you bother doing this?

If so, do you take it to the dealer or buy something yourself and clean it. I'm afraid of just spraying down the whole engine and maybe ruining something. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • zeuspilotzeuspilot Member Posts: 18
    I purchased a '06 PILOT last month. I am not aware that you can add Lifetime Warrenty to the factory installed Goodyears. Would eb interested to get that. Is it an offer from your regional GY shops or rather nationwide?
    Thanks
    sj
    it's national. Just go to your local Goodyear / Gemini Service Center and ask about the Lifetime Road Hazard Warrenty, you get the re-balance / rotation as part of the warranty. They take the S/N from each tire.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • 7milehi7milehi Member Posts: 28
    I just bought a 06 Pilot EX AWD and hopefully it will not be in the shop nearly as much as the Volvo XC90 that it is replacing. My question is where is the best place to go for warranty work if needed? There is a local independent shop that only works on Honda and Accura and their ad says they can do warranty work. I've driven by this place and they have been in business a long time and always look busy.

I always thought warranty work had to be done at the dealership. I have read on other forums that often independent shops that specialize in a brand offer better service and price than the dealer.
    Magnuson-Moss prohibits "tying the performance of warranty obligations to the buyer’s use of a particular product or service. For example, it is now illegal for a car manufacturer to honor its implied or express warranty only if all maintenance and service work is performed by one of its dealers."

Illinois Legal Aid Online

Good post here:

0patience, "Reputable Mechanics: Separating Fact from Fiction" #65, 17 Sep 2004 10:27 pm
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    What do you mean by 'warranty work'?

If you mean warranty repairs, done for free under warranty, you must go to a Honda dealer, if there is one available.

If you are talking about service work for which you are paying, any independent shop can do that work, be sure to get and keep the receipts.
  • mattchalmersmattchalmers Member Posts: 159
    why do you say that 5w20 is a joke?
  • don105don105 Member Posts: 6
    My owners manual,2006 Pilot, says on page 235 "If the message "service oil" does not appear more that 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year". This is also stated on page 6 of the service history booklet.
  • ciacia Member Posts: 10
    hello again,i'm not sure what milage your suv is at this point,but trust me on this,change your diff oil at least once a year or every 15,000 miles.read my post #2159.
  • karkarkarkar Member Posts: 6
    I bought by '06 Pilot new in August. They put a sticker in the corner of the windshield to have the oil changed at 3750 miles, but the oil life % gauge says 50% and I have 3550 miles. So what do you go by?
    The % is calculated by the Pilot's computer depending on the way you drive (acceleration, braking, rough driving, city driving, etc. etc.). I'm using the general rule with my tires as my reminder for my Oil. I have my tires done by Goodyear every 6000 miles (free re-balance, rotation, & alignment), so I keep an eye on my %, but normally have the oil done at / or about same time as tires.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • mattchalmersmattchalmers Member Posts: 159
    Definitely go by the % Oil Life indicator, especially on your first oil change. The 3,750 is merely a target. The Owners Manual will tell you to use the Oil Life %, and that will keep you on the right track. You can also check out https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/

That site will help you keep straight all of your maintenance.
  • rcolemanazrcolemanaz Member Posts: 8
    We have a 2007 purchased Dec 2006 with 26,000+ miles. I am getting ready to change oil for 4th time as the computer in pilot is telling me. Down to 10% oil life. I rotate tires every 2nd oil change and replace air filter every 3rd. No problems to date. Use FRAM filter and buy 5w/20 synthetic that is on sale or cheapest at time I go to store.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Not so sure about FRAM. Looking into some research posted online, FRAM is now manufactured by some of the generic filter manufacturers. Given that the price difference is very minor if you buy the OEM filter online through one of the discount Honda retailers and you change oil only couple of times a year, I would stick with the OEM filter.
  • plchanplchan Member Posts: 66
    I will have a trip (from my home to the destination and back home) coming up in this weekend. Currently, my oil level is 40% and I have around 40xx miles clocked in the car. It is a 07 Honda Pilot.

Do you think I need to do oil change prior this trip? or I am ok to drive the car with 40% left until I come back and go to get oil changed on next Monday? I will have another trip (which it is around another 2-300 miles.. go to visit a friend and go to SeaWorld in San Diego) coming up in next weekend.

Would it be too risky to drive to a trip for 300 miles while oil level is only 40% left?

Thanks.
    I guess you mean oil life not oil level. :shades:

I change my oil at 7,500 miles (per my owner's manual), so I'd say you're just beyond the half life of the oil in your engine now. You probably have around 3,000 miles left before the indicator will get down to 5 or 10%.

From what I've read, Honda discourages changing the initial oil in their cars early.
    I was in the same situation 40% oil life left at close to 4800 miles. Took a 1300 round trip mile to Canada from NJ and now have about 15% of oil life left so I think you should be fine to take the trip as long as it is under 2500 miles.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    It's funny how the Pilot's owner manual will call out for an oil change every 7,500 miles while most service departments from Honda to Jiffy Lube want you back every 3,000 miles. :confuse:

It's rediculous how the need for revenue and profit will cause people to see if you're willing to waste your money.

I prefer to check the oil every 3 months to check the level and see how dirty it is. I usually change it every 6 months which is 6,000 mile for me. If you take a service tech advice everytime without question, you will surely be pi__ing your hard earned cash away. The proof is in the little sticky thing placed on the inside of your windshield scheduling you back in 3 months!
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    Steve,

I have also heard about not changing the original oil early. I can't find any justification on it though. What have you seen on the subject?

I have 5100 miles on my '07 and the oil life is 20%. I have had the Pilot since Nov. '06 and plan on changing oil every 5000 so that I can stay on the 15,000 mile interval for other services.

Joe
    You can try an Advanced Search here - this is one thread I found searching on "Honda break in oil":

stevedebi, "Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair" #5332, 14 May 2007 11:44 am

Scroll down to post #5345 in that thread for some quotes from Honda about the subject.
    For my 1999 ML320 I changed with Mobil 1 every 7500 miles. If I had followed the onboard computer, it would have been about every 10000 miles. But i don't trust computers that much. My cousin now has the car with over 100k miles. No engine problems. I plan to stick with 7500 miles for my first pilot oil change and then maybe every 5k or 6K miles thereafter.
  • robsdadrobsdad Member Posts: 20
    Hi. I've got a 2008 Honda Pilot. Just took delivery 2 days ago. All of the sudden I heard a noise coming from the engine. The service tech said it was the "time bolt tensioner". And it needed a new shim and bolt to fix it.... actually pulling it away from the manifold, so it wouldn't vibrate any more. Is this common?

Thanks.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,945
    timing belt tensioner? hmmmm... wasn't this a TSB on early '03 Pilots? There was an issue with breaking belts, no? Am I remembering this correctly?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Yes. There sure was. I have already looked it up. I am at the dealership now. I must admit, I am getting a bit soured at owning a Honda. This is more of an annoyance than anything else. But it's still annoying.
  • joeyjoejoejoeyjoejoe Member Posts: 68
    All the Pilot's I've seen at the local dealer have this listed on their "features" sheet. It is right there with the usual "splash guards" that apparently cost like $300. I've never heard it mentioned in my negotiations though.
    Well, they are replacing the water pump and timing belt. I'll update after I receive the car back.
  • honhon Member Posts: 34
    What safety recall are you talking about? What is the number? Are you talking about the drive belt or the timing belt? Two diferent belts. Timing belt is inside the engine while the drive or serpetine belt is on the outside.
    The Safety Recall in 2002 NHTSA Campaign ID #02V226000 was supposed to be on 2003 Pilots. It was not supposed to happen any more. Supposed to have been resolved. Since it is still happening even in the 2008 Pilots, IT HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED. Why? Does the NHTSA know about this or are they asleep? It is also happening in my 2005 Pilot. What is Honda doing anyway?
  • carollee3carollee3 Member Posts: 10
    I have washed and waxed many cars before and never have had the difficulties I am having now with a Black colored vehicle. Can you tell me a secret that I do not know concerning this particular color of car.
    Some people use a "California duster" between washes to keep the dust down.
    What difficulties are you having? :confuse:
  • carollee3carollee3 Member Posts: 10
    After applying the wax it is very difficult to get rid of the haze and wiping off the wax is more difficutl than other colored cars I have waxed in the past
  • rmulayrmulay Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everybody,
    I have a certified 2006 Honda Pilot.It is due for its 30,000 mile service.The dealership quoted me $600.00 for servicing.Is that fair price for what they call a major service.Is there any kind of literature I can refer for servicing schedules.
    thank you very much for your feedback in advance.
    Ranjit Mulay
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what Honda recommends be done at 30k and will tell you what it should cost in your zip code.

It's about half your estimate in my zip code.

The dealer is probably recommending that additional stuff be done that's not in the owner's manual recommendations. You may decide that some of that extra stuff is worth it, but remember that most service writers work on commission.
  • skendaleskendale Member Posts: 1
    I had my major servicing done at 32,000 miles. My dashboard has maintenance light on with code 16(tire rotation and VTM4 fluid change). I am thinking this was done at major service. Dealer is recommending minor servicing ($120) which includes tire rotation. Do you think I need tire rotation every 7500 miles? Does automatic maintenance reminder smart to know what maintenance was done and what is due?
  • appliancemanapplianceman Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Packaged services like minor, major, 7.5K, 15K, etc. are meaningless descriptions. Look at what services are included in the service package. I'll bet that your "major" at 32K miles didn't include VTM4 fluid change - - first, check the 32K service bill to see a list of services performed; if you see that VTM4 fluid was changed, the mechanic should have re-programed the maintenance computer just like if the engine oil was changed (re-set to 100%). NO, the computer doesn't know that a service was done unless the mechanic tells it. Therefore, have the VTM4 fluid changed per the reminder (assuming it was previously not done; otherwise, the mechanic was lazy in not re-setting). The only exception is noted in the manual where you change fluid at 7.5K, then 15K if you drive under HARSH conditions.

Yes, I think tire rotation at 7.5K miles is reasonable, if you tie it to another service like engine oil - - I wouldn't take in in just for a tire rotation. But don't get bothered if that's at 9K miles. After 40K of driving, I think the alignment is off spec enough that you will get uneven wear at intervals greater than 7.5K miles.
  • popawalkerpopawalker Member Posts: 1
    My wife got a service schedule last time she was in for an oil change. Schedule -C recomends along with what I assume normal checks that we have them "Install Wynn's Fuel Additive, Perform Wynn's Transmission Flush, Perform Wynn's Coolant Flush, and Perform Wynn's Power Steering Flush." Sounds to me like they are going for a lot of extra money. The cost of the 30,000 mile service is $529.00 in Baytown Texas.
  • mainewildmainewild Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    2 things - First - We have a print out from our Honda dealer for our 07 pilot awd - it does not include a maintenance for what our mechanic is calling a 4 wheel transfer case fluid change. He wants $92 for that. Is that for real?

Also he wants $194??? to change the transmission fluid while the dealer printout quotes $90. Is there something special about AWD that would make this changing of the tranny fluid cost so much? thanks.
    I just got the dreaded B-1-4 service indicator on "The Beast". The B I'm not worried about since its the routine Oil Change and such. I don't do the 1since the tires are fully covered and serviced by Goodyear. The 4 on the other hand is the biggie. I have been quoted by 2 seperate Honda Service centers as $1700 and he will need to be in between 8-10 hours total. Oh well, guess this needs to be done, but Ouch on the price for Regular service.

Odie