Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Maybe once or twice a year our 03 Pilot doesn't start on the first try.

The starter spins the engine and the engine acts like it is starting but will make that "Knuckle on the glass" noise and not ever start running. It will do that a second or even third time. Then on the 3rd or 4th try it will start, but it is rough for a few seconds and I can smell gas. Again it seems to only do it when it has been sitting for a while. May not do that again for months. I'm reasonably sure the throttle was not touched during the starting procedure. The computer does not record any failure.

This has nothing to do with the actual starting, but every once in a , before the engine is completely warmed up, it seems to be extremely sensitive to throttle input. It is jerky. Let off on the throttle and the car nose dives instead of being smooth. Give it throttle and it JERKS the front end up. Reminds me of manual transmissions of days gone by. When it gets to operating temperature everything works as it should. Again nothing is recorded on the computer.

Our 03 CR-V occasionally has dead spots in the throttle when warming up. On an uphill grade, at a constant speed, a little pressure on the throttle seems to be ignored by the engine. Throttle may have to be pressed enough to downshift before any acceleration is achieved. Then everything works as it should. Nothing is recorded. This hasn't happened in several months now.

I'm thinking that with all the stuff the computer and sensors have to keep up with, I can live with the occasional glitch. :shades:

Kip
  • rekhrekh Member Posts: 47
    This is another post regarding "Engine noise/ Starter?",
    Post # 1321 under Discussion title " Honda Pilot 2006",(by calg):
    This noise happens first thing in the morning with our 2006 Pilot only when it is very cold outside... usually below zero. It also happened when we had our 2003 Pilot. I have no idea what it is, but it has never caused us any problems. We had 60,000 miles on our 03 when we traded it and now have nearly 30,000 on our 06. I remember asking a friend who has an 04 and she said hers did it as well. Hope this helps.
  • montztermontzter Member Posts: 72
    Sorry I have not tried it yet - my wife has a strange infatuation with "her" Pilot and I have trouble getting it away from her because she then gets my Civic! (Claims my Civic sits too low, rides too stiff, and the steering wheel is too small and the steering is so sensitive that it turns just by thinking about it, blah blah....)

But I did happen to remember that you can hear a noise when you press the brake. It comes from the area of the steering column and it is the mechanism that releases the gear shift when the brake is depressed. The only time I ever seem to hear it is in the mornings when I start up in the garage ( place my foot on the brake when starting), unless I specifically listen for it another time.

Try placing it in park with the key on but the motor off and slowly press the brake pedal on and off and listen for it.

....just a thought
  • rogerpilotrogerpilot Member Posts: 2
    Pilot owners and potential Pilot owners should be aware that there is a surprise waiting for you when you need to change your Cabin Air Filter. Its not covered in the owners manual and it is very difficult to do without going to the dealer. Before buying a Pilot and after you have gotten your best price, you should strike a deal to get the dealer to agree to change it the first time and to do the modifications required. Also suggest call Honda USA customer service and open a case.
  • boughtalemonboughtalemon Member Posts: 28
    How do you know when to change this filter? I didn't know there was one. I assumed that anything relating to maintenance is done by the dealer.
  • amenonamenon Member Posts: 12
    Picked up a brand new 07 Pilot and noticed that whenever I accelerate from low speeds there is a jarring sound from the front right side. It only happens when accelerating from very low speeds (0-40) if I punch the accelerator. Any insights?
    Noise could be the VTEC kicking in, a bad shock or strut or CV joint.

Wondering why you would be punching the accelerator on "a brand new 07 Pilot"! :confuse:

Kip
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    Search the threads here or in the Odyssey forum for assistance if you want to replace it yourself. I just did Odyssey (15,000 miles) and the Pilot looks to be similar. It is not a good design feature for the shop owner who has replace it, but I am sure it helped the assembly worker at the plant. Take the glove box out. I used a utility knife to cut the dash part away until I inadvertently twisted it and broke the blade, my last one. Used a blade from a hack-saw and that worked great. Side-cutters should work good too. I only removed the screw on the right side of the bar and that gave me plenty of room to put in the new filter ($20 at Kragen Auto Supply). Another little tip. I taped a piece of garden hose to the vacuum to get inside the air box and suck out all the crud that was in there. Then I used it to suck out all the gunk that was in the drain hose (from inside the engine compartment). It seem to be draining better and I don't have as much moisture coming through the defroster
  • rogerpilotrogerpilot Member Posts: 2
    Its meant to be changed every 30,000 miles according to the manual. Its a $20 filter that costs at least $65 or more to change at the dealer. I struggled to do it myself, then decided to take it to dealer. More tomorrow. On gm cars, its easier to change then air filter. You may want to check and see what your dealer charged.
    Today I had the noise again, the only thing that has changed was the weather temperature, it was below zero!!!
  • amenonamenon Member Posts: 12
    Thanks!. I misspoke when I mentioned "punching". What I meant to say was accelerating from any cruising speed. Anyway, the problem was a bent heat shield under the exhaust. The vibration caused the noise. It was a simple fix.
  • brentwood5brentwood5 Member Posts: 14
    HELP!! Our DVD player stopped working after momentarly disconnecting the car's battery. Does anyone know if anything needs to be reset to get it working again? :confuse:
    When you turn the radio on you might be getting a message that says C O D E ! In or with your owners manual you will find a card with "Your" radio code and how to apply it. It is part of the anti theft stuff. If someone steals the radio, it won't work for them.

You will also need to do an ILP and probably reset the drivers window "AUTO" feature.

See post #202 of the "Pilot Real World MPG" forum.

Kip
  • caugncaugn Member Posts: 29
    After having the radio on for a few minutes, there is an annoying squeal noise coming through the speakers. Usually it is tolerable. But, if we're using the head phones with the DVD system, you can't hear anything but the squeal. What could this be and how do I fix it?
  • caugncaugn Member Posts: 29
    I have absolutely no air flow from my rear AC unit. Doesn't matter if it's heat or cooling, or if the system is on manual or automatic. What would cause the rear unit to stop working like this?
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Early Pilots had a transistor in the rear air conditioner that needed to be replaced when the rear stopped working. That may be your problem.
  • davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    Nearing the end of my first winter in my 2007 EXL. I can't say that the heated seats don't work, but they don't seem to do very much. I leave them on the high setting. Especially as compared to my other car with heated seats, in the Pilot coverage is narrower and not powerful enough. Lived with it this winter. Combination of the feature working a little bit and my being too busy to bring it in to the dealer. I'd like to ask people with heated seats in their Pilots whether or not they are satisfied. I hope to get a sense of whether that's just the way it is or whether my car has a problem that should be taken care of before next winter. Thanks.
  • jmac8jmac8 Member Posts: 12
    We have a 2006 exl and the heated seats work great. Actually I start them on high then have to turn them to low or off because they actually are so warm my back starts to perspire. Sounds like you need to have them checked out with the dealer.
  • pratzertpratzert Member Posts: 19
    I have an '06 Pliot EXL. The heated seats are minimally effective. I have it set on high and feel very, very little warmth. And when I do feel it, it is only a very narrow strip of warmth.

So it sounds like mine and yours are the same.

It's better than nothing, but not much better.

I can't begin to express how disappointed I ma in my Pilot.

I've had it for 6 months and it's been in the shop 10 times and STILL has the vibration defect and now it's started with the infamous leak on the floorboards.

I am SOOOOO sorry I did not buy the Highlander, but I'm stuck now.

Tim
  • mropportunitymropportunity Member Posts: 11
    My wife has '06 Pilot EXL w/ heated seat option. I put sheepskin covers on her seat and you can still feel the heat coming through the cover.
    I recommend you take it in to dealer for evaluation.
    Good luck.
    Thanks to all who responded so far. Responses were mixed but provide hope that there's room for improvement if I bring my Pilot to the dealer. I'll do it over the summer when it will be less inconvenient for me.
  • castle888castle888 Member Posts: 17
    2007 EXL

we start off in high, then turn it down to low, then sometimes off when inside temp warms up

Chicago, IL
    My heated seats do not generate enough heat that they ever get so hot that I turn them down to low and then even turn them off.

Looks like I have a problem that should be checked out. The feature works but should apparently be putting out more heat.
  • hoshos Member Posts: 31
    I thought I was the only one. I have been having issues with the heated seats as well. Sometimes they do not seem to be on at all while being set on High. After driving for a while and the car get nice and warm, it kicks into gear and get pretty warm. Very inconsistant and unexpected behavior. Please let me know what you find out. I contacted the dealer once about various issues and no matter what issue I brought up, they had an excuse for it trying to convince me that there was nothing wrong !!!
    Yeah, doesn't it seem to work something like this?

During the warranty period, dealers' approach is that problems are with the owners (being unreasonably fussy) and not with the vehicles themselves. That noise is normal. That smell is normal. That's the way whatever it is is supposed to be. Your awful gas mileage is because of the way you drive.

After the warranty period, dealers' approach is to find (and charge you to repair) problems you did not even know you had, while of course acknowledging (and charging you to troubleshoot) each and every concern you now bring to their attention.
  • plchanplchan Member Posts: 66
    I just purchased a 07 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD in Feb 2007. I was told that I would not need to do the first oil change until the car reaches the first 5000 miles. Is it true? Actually, I purchased the "service" warranty (like oil change and stuff) from the dealership where I purchased my Honda from. Long story short (I know, it was a dumb move but what it is done is done), the service package includes oil change for every 5k miles. Is it normal or should I change oil for every 3000 miles?
    I have a 07 EX-L. My wife said the passenger side heated-seat is pretty good. She normally sets to low then she would need to turn it off later. However, we live in Los Angeles so heated seats might not be too useful, except during few cold nights out.

I have not really tested completely the heated-seat on the driver side yet. I started it as LOW and I did not really feel much of the heat coming from the back and the bottom. I will try it again to make sure the heated seat works on both driver and passenger sides.
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    You should get out the owners manual and review the maintenance schedule since it is different than what you are used to. There are codes (that show up on the oil life indicator on the odometer setting)that refer to items for service, which are based on ~5000 mile intervals. A local dealer has a website that lists the items, you can probably find something similar in your area.

http://www.autowesthondaroseville.com/index.cfm?action=service
    There is a thread of posts, which I think is so useful and I believe answer your question in details:(Annoying Maintenance Alert)

davidd3, "Honda Accord (2003-2006) Maintenance & Repair" #2225, 7 Mar 2007 2:40 pm#2224

Also see: MM revised (#2264)
    Dark oil Myth (#2261)
    2006- Accord first oil change(#2260)
    Thanks for the link and I am reading the thread now.
  • todd40todd40 Member Posts: 1
    I just came across this same fill up prob and am not sure what to do? Pump stops after every squeeze. 2004 Pilot.
    From above davidd3 post:During the warranty period, dealers' approach is that problems are with the owners (being unreasonably fussy) and not with the vehicles themselves. That noise is normal. That smell is normal. That's the way whatever it is is supposed to be. Your awful gas mileage is because of the way you drive.

After the warranty period, dealers' approach is to find (and charge you to repair) problems you did not even know you had, while of course acknowledging (and charging you to troubleshoot) each and every concern you now bring to their attention.

This is a partial from Post 209 of the Pilot Real World MPG forum a while back.

Kip,
    ....If I may be trustworthy to a fault, you seem to be at the opposite end of the spectrum. I have no reason not to trust my dealership....

Actually our discussions started around post 203 of that forum. Remember the fun we had over whether or not the ILP had been done and whether or not to trust the dealer, especially on things that could not be verified? :)

Kip
    Hi Kip,

I do remember that.

Different issue there. Dealer trust in the context of dealer prep. There, if the items are checked off on the list (such as ILP), I trust that the work was done even though I have no way to verify it.

Issue here is dealer trust in the context of handling customer complaints during warranty period. Here I think that dealers try to avoid doing some work.

My impression is that you distrust dealers in all situations. My distrust for dealers is much more limited. They are local businesses relying on repeat business from customers. They cannot screw their customers every which way and still stay in business.

Regards,

David
    David, either we trust the dealer or we don't!

Why would I trust him to always do things I can't verify when I'm not paying anything, and not trust him under warranty situations or when I'm having to pay direct.

Under warranty I tell the dealer my gas mileage is bad. He tells me it is normal for my type driving, or I should wait 3 years until it is broken in or whatever....Now the warranty period is over and I tell him my mileage is bad. He will be glad to charge me for diagnostic work, tune ups and so forth. Then I tell him again my mileage is bad. He tells me it is normal for my type of driving! :sick:

They cannot screw their customers every which way and still stay in business.

You have basically said they are screwing us by saying a warranty concern is not a problem. Then again when they say the same concern is a problem once the warranty period is over. I agree! They are screwing us in the service department when they can!

So if they will screw us with something we can openly see, hear, feel, and smell, why wouldn't they take short cuts behind the scenes? Such as in the "Get Ready" area.

My impression is that you distrust dealers in all situations.

We agree again! I firmly believe the dealer will take as much money from us as we are willing to give him. From the time we drive onto his lot anticipating a purchase until we trade that purchase on another, then another, then another.. Then the cycle starts all over again.

Do you honestly believe the dealer is going to offer you the very best deal possible when you start a trade?

Or do you think he will attempt to sell you the car for as much as possible while offering you the least possible for your trade, if you don't know any better?.

I'll bet a dollar to a donut that you don't take the first offer the dealer makes! If that is true, you don't really trust that dealer any more than I do!

I thought we were finally on the same page. Guess not!
    You get the last word! :)

Kip
    Kip,

Do you honestly believe the dealer is going to offer you the very best deal possible when you start a trade?

Or do you think he will attempt to sell you the car for as much as possible while offering you the least possible for your trade, if you don't know any better?.

I'll bet a dollar to a donut that you don't take the first offer the dealer makes! If that is true, you don't really trust that dealer any more than I do!

Neither does the dealer accept the first offer the customer makes. It's just a negotiation. Dealers want to sell high and customers want to buy low. Local competition, supply and demand, applicable incentives, and the customer's intelligence and preparedness for the negotiation, all come into play. A high first offer from a dealer should come as no surprise and should not be a basis for loss of trust. To the contrary, I respect that they are selling cars to make money. And dare I say it, there's nothing wrong with that. The killing they make on people who pay MSRP because they do not know the price is negotiable will be offset by the slim margin they make on people who have done their homework and are strong negotiators playing dealers off against each other to reach the bottom line.

I do not see what possible motivation dealers would have to cheat or skimp on dealer prep (say that they did it when they didn't do it), since any problems resulting from what they neglected to do will adversely affect Honda's reliability ratings and result in more customers returning to the dealership for the very work they wish to avoid (warranty claims). This is where we strongly disagree.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    hmmm. in order to put fuel in, there needs to be a means to allow displaced air out.

you could have a defective filler tube (from the neck to the tank), or a vent solenoid, or vent line from the tank.

since it is a 2004, is it still under warranty? even if not, i would take to Honda dealership and insist it is picked up by Honda. i believe it to be part of the emissions system. anyway, see if they will goodwill repair it.
    I agree!

Our chevy van was doing the same thing. Had to run the pump at lowest possible speed or it would shut off every few seconds. Turned out to be a kinked vent hose on top of the tank. Found it when we replaced the fuel pump.

Kip
    I do not see what possible motivation dealers would have to cheat or skimp on dealer prep (say that they did it when they didn't do it), since any problems resulting from what they neglected to do will adversely affect Honda's reliability ratings and result in more customers returning to the dealership for the very work they wish to avoid (warranty claims). This is where we strongly disagree.

Moreover, while I am not sure of it, I believe that it could be a legal issue (compliance with motor vehicle laws and/or safety regulations) for dealers not to perform dealer prep.

When they reject a warranty claim, it can be justifiable because the determination of validity of the claim is often subjective. My car makes a noise - normal or not normal. My car has an odor - normal or not normal. My heated seats are not hot enough. These are fuzzy situations where something is not necessarily wrong with the car, unlike the situation where your 6-month old car broke down and had to be towed to the dealer.
    David I gave you the last word and you took it!

Now you have started over again with the "Moreover".
    Therefore I respond.

Unusual noises such as rattles and squeaks are not are not normal. Odors of mildew and antifreeze are not normal. Water coming into the cabin are not normal.

"Fuzzy situations"? Possibly to someone that has 100% faith in the dealer. Not to me!

You choose to believe the dealer and his various departments are absolutely honest because he is a local business man, blah, blah blah...

Good for you!

BTW, You say negotiation is done when buying a new car. Yeah, I agree. The customer is desperately attempting to keep from being ripped a "new one" and the dealer is desperately trying to "RIP"! :cry:

Have a wonderful day. I have to go to work. :sick:

Kip
    OK Kip, I'll give you the last word then, unless just saying that I'm giving you the last word counts against me.

I can only defend dealers for so long and then I'm done.
    Finally someone else who mentioned the awful gas mileage. I complained about it once and all responses were that other people got great mileage (23/gal???!!)Ridiculous! If I am lucky and drive mostly on the highway, I get 16 and no, I don't drive through snow and ice and no, I am not heavy on the pedal. Yep, I am sorry too I bought the Pilot. I traded in my CRV and almost got the new CRV, but a little devil whispered to me to buy the Pilot. Big mistake! The CRV is a great little SUV, never had a problem with it.
    One more thing. My windowashers are not functioning now, wonder if the dealer is going to tell me that it's a "characteristic" of the Pilot.
    Forgot to mention how obsolete the navigation system is. It's almost useless, never finds any streets even in neighborhoods that are 5 years old. I lived in my house for two years, but my street is "unknown" or an "undigitized road". When you buy a new car, you expect to have the lates version of the map system.
    I agree that the CRV is a great little SUV. Actually, not so little. It's small on the outside but somehow big on the inside. I used to have a 1999 CRV in my family. We loved it. Don't really need the Pilot and its, yes I'll say it, awful gas mileage, if it wasn't for those carpooling occassions where we need a third row. However, I did check the Real Life MPG forum before I got my Pilot. So what I got was about what I expected, despite the 17/22 EPA ratings. Lifetime mpg for my 2007 Pilot EXL 4WD is 16.81 after nearly 5,000 miles. Pretty much same as yours. The only silver lining is that at least our Pilots take Regular gas. The MDX, the luxo brother to the Pilot, gets the same lousy gas mileage but requires Premium gas.

I'm fairly neutral on the Pilot. Nothing to rave about. Only a few things to complain about. Overall I think it has a rather cheap feel for a $35,000 vehicle. For instance, it drives me nuts that the steering wheel controls are not illuminated and that the channel changer goes in only one direction (they are illuminated and more fully featured in my $25,000 lower trim line Accord). The third row isn't even leather in the EXL. Driver's left foot rest is short and uncomfortable. Etc.
    Why does everybody blame the dealers? Yes, of course they are in the business of making money and will make as much as they can.
    The issue here is not the dealer, it is the manufacturer. Why does the Pilot have so many problems? If if were a better car, you wouldn't have to go to the dealer 10 times for the same problem.
    I absolutely agree with what you said about the "cheap feel" for a $32K car (this is what I paid for my 4wd, with navi and third row is leather as well, though very poor quality leather). For the price, the Pilot should be better quality and have better features.
    Good point.

Until Honda can make perfect cars, things would be a lot better if Honda manufacturer would instruct Honda dealers to give customers the benefit of the doubt on warranty claims, and pay Honda dealers more for doing warranty work so that they do not find warranty work to be unattractive as compared to work for which they can charge customers.
    Check your brochure, if you still have it. 3rd row is not leather. That's why it seems very poor quality to you.
    Check your brochure, if you still have it. 3rd row is not leather. That's why it seems very poor quality to you.

This is true! The third row seat is some type of synthetic.

Salesman said it is because that seat is likely to be used by kids that may spill stuff and it is easier to clean from the "Fake" leather!

That's what he said! :)

Kip
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    makes sense actually... :)
    Well, if you opt for leather (EX-L) and pay for leather, you should get (to clean) leather on all 8 seats, not only 5 seats.

Also, what they said about the third row (used for kids, susceptible to spills and stains) is almost as applicable to the middle row. What's next, no leather there too?