Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 2cycle22cycle2 Member Posts: 1
    Gentlemen,

Where can I find a clue on how to replace the interior cabin air filter on a 07 Pilot?

Many thanks,

Ed
  • tldtld Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2010
    It's time to look at replacing my wifes tires and want to get some advice on what people have been using. This vehicle will not be driven offroad but does see some snow (Missouri).

I've been considering the the General Grabber, Michelin LTX M/S2, Michelin Latitude Tour and Goodyear TripleTred. I'm worried the LTX is to much of a "truck" tire for this vehicle. Any comments on these or others?
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    We had Michelin on both of our Pilot and Acura rl. I got rid of them as I checked the side wall and tread ply was not as good as the Bridgestone I purchased. JMO folks but I have not had any blowouts or other problems with the Bridgestone brand vs. the Michelin.

Years ago I only purchased Michelin but over the last 10 yrs. I changed over to Bridgestone Credenzas for our two vehicles. This is JMO.

Good luck to all and stay safe.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I replaced the goodyears with the Michelin Latitudes. A TON more quiet!!!! The car is pretty noisy to begin with, but the road noise was significantly reduced which was great.

Only driven in light snow, lots of rain, no problem. If you look up ratings online the tires do well in snow. If you are planning to drive in mud I'd consider the LTX as they are a more aggressive tire and I have been told are reasonably quiet as well.

The Latitudes I'm sure handle better on the road (I believe they are OEM on Porsche Cayennes).

Good luck!

tom
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    so far I don't hear any pinging on my 2010 pilot. I use chevron octane 87. sometime 91..

the only problem I am having now is engine oil consumption. the car is only at 6600 miles. I have to add almost 1 quart...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    a quart every ????? miles.
  • rt4rt4 Member Posts: 13
    Tires;
    Have had 4 sets of tires on my '07 4wd Pilot. The present ones are Mich. Lat. Tour and are by far the best----much quieter than all others. BTW, also had the Cont. HTS Grabber, and got rid of them after 18,000 miles.
    Re: a previous question on cabin air filter-----I too would be interested if anyone could give some info on installing a new one.
    Have got approx. 69,000 miles on this veh. and is one of best cars I have ever owned, and I have owned dozens.
  • lg2207lg2207 Member Posts: 28
    Hi There-
    I have an '08 Pilot EX 4WD with 26K. Purchased used in December. Car runs great. The only problem(s) I have noticed- is the brakes tend to make alot of noise (not squeak/squeal)- but more of a clunk/creak when pressed- I hear it more when I shift from Reverse to Drive and letting the foot off- you can hear it somewhat when applying in normal drive conditions. Have not taken it to the dealer- but the local shop we use inspects and test drives every time I bring it in for service and they indicate brakes are fine. I recall similar sounds on previous mazdas I've owned which I think the dealer corrected with some new clips and a minor adjustment to pad placement...........

I did notice back in January the first time I took it for wash- that the entire brake (?suspension) system seem to creak/groan and generally were quite grabby after pulling out of the car wash. My assumption is the brakes are still quite wet after the wash- seems to be a regular pattern with the car wash- again not sure its related.
  • samzsamz Member Posts: 4
    Recently, I've noticed my 2010 Pilot's fans having these 2 strange behaviors:

1. When I start the vehicle, the fans will sound working but no air from the vents. If I press the mode button to what I want, the air will come out quickly. For sure I never change the mode manually before I turn off the engine.

2. With A/C off, the fans will blow hot or cool air if I change the temperature on either the diver or passenger side. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments.
  • pilotct06pilotct06 Member Posts: 1
    I been informed by a frined that Honda pilots have the mainder system for the oil change, I am selling my Honda 06 Ex , but in the sercvice resport I got fromn the dealer on whre I serviced all this years my vehicle, shows that the first oil change was performed at 11,939 miles, is this correct? or it was not nesccesary? ( i will definetely bring the brabd new vehicle if I will see the signal, is there aa techical explanation for this?? My potential buyer is questionning this, I will appreciet your advice.
    Thanks
  • parksrparksr Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and the milage minder told me to change my oil at approximately 10,000 miles. It was at 5% at about 9500 miles. The owner's manual does not specify a particular number of miles to change the oil on this car. Sounds a little questionable, but I followed the milage minder. I usually change the oil on my vehicles at 5000 miles. That is until I purchased this Honda Pilot.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    I don't know. I never check my oil often. I just check my engine oil at 6,000 miles. It is about 1 quart oil. so I filled up with castrol gtx 5w 20.

anyway. I need to change my oil anyway. I only drive in the winter. the car is only 6,600 miles.
    I bought it on Nov, 30,2009.

Honda manual say I should change the oil every year or follow MM.

one of the remote doesn't work. I have to press 6-7 times to unlock door. I don't know whats wrong.. anyone know?
  • samzsamz Member Posts: 4
    Regarding the remote, it also happened to my '10 EX-L but after I re-programmed the remote following http://www.ehow.com/how_4470692_program-honda-keyless-entry-remote.html, it started working normally again.
  • yoshihamayoshihama Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Pilot as well, and had the exact same problem. I closed the tailgate to find that one of the bolts had sheered right through the metal bracket. The next day my wife closed the tailgate to find that the entire license plate came off. I'm not looking forward to what the dealership is going to charge for this. :(
  • larh24larh24 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 Pilot EX-L three weeks ago and ithas been in the shop for 2 days with soaking wet driver & passenger side floor mats & carpets...they can not find a leak!! Do they think I poured water on it and drove it in to be inconvenienced for 2 + days (now will be 4 since they have it over the weekend??) water tested and can not find leak...checked heater core and firewall...now they think it's from the sunroof drains, but after doing research for the last hour or so I see MANY complaints of the same thing with no resolution...any help would be much appreciated!
    There are limited possibilities here. The diagnostic tree, if I were to build one for myself, would go something like this in my head:

1. Is the water actually water or is it coolant?

2. If COOLANT, then it's the heater core or hoses going to it. That's it.

3. If WATER, then it could be:

a. clogged AC evap drain
    b. clogged fresh air vent drain
    c. clogged sunroof drain (not likely if both sides of car are wet)
    d. leaking windshield seal
    e. leaking body seam

So if it's #3, it becomes a matter of testing for each under the logical conditions under which each might appear.

Since both driver and passenger side are wet, I eliminated leaking outside mirror gasket or door seal.
  • larh24larh24 Member Posts: 2
    thanks...they've had the car since thursday and have tested the windshield and such, heater core & firewall as well...it's still there and everything is ripped up, carpets and dash apart...i have a feeling it's bad seams, but that they aren't catching it...they THINK it's the sunroof, but it's a lot of water on the floor, the floor mats as well as underneath them are soaked....i don't want to have to keep bringing it back in every time it rains, and I have a 2 year old with horrible asthma so I can't get mold/mildew in it.....
    i'm so upset, I love this car, but now after seeing such a huge amount of complaints about the same problem with no resolution is making me feel like I bought a lemon....
    Well really the possibilities aren't THAT many---it's not like an electrical glitch which can take 100 years to find. If it is THAT much water, and it happens only when it rains, it almost has to be the drains under the fresh air vents. They can trap a lot of water in a short amount of time.
  • alwaysadaylatealwaysadaylate Member Posts: 7
    Mr.Shiftright -
    What do you think about the 2011 EX-L Pilot? We are looking to purchase one, but are very nervous due to the transmission issues that people have complained about. Just wondered what your opinion was.
    I think we have a good price for one (35,177 OTD), No matter how low the cost is it won't outweigh a tranny issue.
    Almost seems it is better to not do research. We bought our 2004 Odyssey with no research and have had no porblems. Now we are smarter buyers and do our research. The result? No decision because we are afraid to make the wrong decision.
    Thanks
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I have a 2009 (same platform), have 26k miles on it, and no complaints about the tranny whatsoever.
    edited November 2010
    My feeling is that if there's no recall and no TSB and no class action suit on the Internet, then it's probably a few people having bad luck. I suspect that since modern cars are so good, people have very (very) high expectations---even higher than the automaker, who puts a warranty in place because they fully expect a certain small percentage of cars to break.

If you have a warranty, what's the problem? True, sometimes a breakdown inconveniences you, and that is very real and very annoying-----but my reasoning is, that with a 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty on a 20100 Pilot, if something is truly defective, it's going to break long before 60K miles. Honda goofs, Honda pays. Fair enough.

After a vehicle has gone 3 or 4 times around the earth, however, I don't think you can hold the automaker responsible anymore. It's like a 60 year old man still blaming his parents for everything---LOL!
  • beltlessbeltless Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Pilot and a new dog. She has some separation anxiety issues, when I left her in the car for about 5 minutes to run into a 7/11, she managed to nearly gnaw through the entire seatbelt on the passenger side of the car. I have looked at replacement parts online, but they are asking roughly $90 for two complete 3-point harnesses (driver and passenger). All really need is the new webbing. Is that impossible to get? If I were to find some, would it be pointless because of the spring in the retraction unit or the airbag connection? I talked to a salvage guy, and he said their really aren't any used ones because they lock up and are ruined when the airbags are deployed. Any brilliant ideas, or should I just turn off my brain and pay the man.....again. Too late to renig on the dog!
    The problem is that no one will assemble, sew or fabricate anything for you, even if you had the various parts, due to liability issues.
  • beltlessbeltless Member Posts: 2
    Any chance you could find one in a salvage yard or elsewhere that was not involved in an airbag deployment? Or just a parts provider that would sell just the passenger side belt?
  • strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    We own a 2008 Pilot Ex-L. My wife recently had it in to the tire shop for an oil change and tire rotation. They told her we should think about replacing the brake pads in the near future. I'm not handy, but my Dad is, so I picked up some high-falutin' front brake pads (the expensive ones) and went up to Dad's shop (garage). He took off the original pads - our Pilot has 70,000 miles - and looked at me like "you really want me to replace these good pads?!"

And of course then we also had to replace the front rotors, so all in it was maybe $200. Much less than the shop would have charged. But the point is that after 70,000 miles the brake pads were in great shape. Granted, I think these new pads/rotors stop the Pilot even faster, but I never really noticed a deficiency with the old set up.

FYI I would say my wife does 75% of her driving on suburban streets/state roads driving our kids all over creation. The other 25% of the miles are longer trips into the cities, or on multi-state treks where we don't use the brakes as much. But overall the brakes get a fair amount of use as a soccer mom vehicle.

I'll add my .02...we absolutely love this vehicle. It has been 99% maintenance free, rides like a comfortable car, the all wheel drive is a gem in Minnesota, tows our boat like it was a lightweight backpack, etc., etc. Aside from my Acura TL it's our best vehicle purchase ever.
    I'd like to replace the cabin filter in our 2008 Pilot, but I can't seem to find it! I watched the only YouTube video I could find for my search, and it led me to a Honda Odyssey cabin filter replacement video. On that one they show a guy simply dropping the glove compartment box (easy) and then reaching in and pulling out the filter. But clearly on our 2008 Pilot that's not the set up.

It's possible there is a vertical filter behind the box, but at the bottom of the cavity/opening there's a grey metal bar that's secured firmly in place blocking my ability to free up the vertical filter (?; if that's what it is).

Any thoughts? Or can anyone point me to an online video tutorial? Thanks!
  • leasenewbieleasenewbie Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2010
    [strokeoluck2] wrote:
    "We own a 2008 Pilot Ex-L. My wife recently had it in to the tire shop for an oil change and tire rotation. They told her we should think about replacing the brake pads in the near future... after 70,000 miles the (front) brake pads were in great shape."

You should check the rear pads: while my front pads were still "good" at 74k on my Pilot, the rears were shot and near the minimum.

A number of Pilot owners have also experienced this phenomenon as reported on other web forums.
    strokeoluck2 wrote:
    "but at the bottom of the cavity/opening there's a grey metal bar that's secured firmly in place blocking my ability to free up the vertical filter"

There's a DIY over at Piloteers.org that can walk you through step-by-step.
    tslen wrote:
    "My dealer is recommending replacement of the timing belt because it is 7 years old, though the manual recommends replacement at 105 K miles."

The Honda Pilot 2006 manual states to change the belt at 105k or 7 years... if it's not in your manual, I guess the dealer is applying the newer recommenadation to your 2003.
  • tnltnltnltnl Member Posts: 9
    Recently purchased a 2007 with 100,000k miles.
    Rear end made a thud, thud when moving. The brake right and left rear brake rotors had a bump on each one. Honda replaced them for $600 and the noise was gone. They said it was because pilot must have sat to long and caused the bump on each one. A car sits to long and get these bumps? Makes no sense to me.
    Does anyone know if there is secret warranty for this problem with rotors?
    Also, there was squeak in the steering column. $200 later and a new part and it was fixed.
    Is there a secret warranty for this steering column problem?
    thanks for any help
    Hi There-
    Just called my dealer here in NJ- my '08 Pilot EX with 29K miles- wont shift from D to D3- from any position; Park or slow moving from D. Is my trans shot? I have an appt for a test ride with a tech on Monday. My shift lever does not have a button. I am out of bumper to bumper and assume this is still powertrain- hopefully they wont give me some cock and bull story or runaround. Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    -Larry
    Lg2207
    Hi Larry,

Not sure if this is the same issue, but I had something very similar happen last year. When I would try to move the gearshift lever from Park, to any of the lower gears, it wouldn't budge. I took it to the dealer and they moved it immediately, with no effort. The trick is that there's a little "hitch" in the gearshift lever movement - maybe to make sure you don't accidentally drop it into a lower gear? Anyway, as I recall you need to pull it towards you (as you normally would), then start to pull it down (as you normally would) BUT THEN as you're pulling it down, let it slide back (towards the dash) just a smidge and then continue to pull it down. Once you hit that first lower gear you can move the lever up and down just as you normally would, but it's getting past that first "hurdle" that is the tricky part.

If you're having a mechanical issue beyond that, I can't help you. But hopefully this simple little trick does it for you. Good luck!
    Yep- that did it---- not very intuitive! Thanks a million!
  • tiaciatiacia Member Posts: 20
  • tiaciatiacia Member Posts: 20
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Over the holidays, our Honda navi suddenly started asking us for the navi code everytime we started our 2010 Pilot Touring. Never did that before. Thought it was maybe a battery problem, but everything else in the car worked and it always started.

So, dropped by dealer and asked. Turns out there was a TSB on certain Pilots that covered the sun/moonroof drawing a trickle of power from the battery and that would set off the Navi. They fixed it and seems to be fine.

I had not read anything about this, so thought I would post it for others.
  • safetymatterssafetymatters Member Posts: 29
    I have an 05 Honda Pilot that brakes suddenly by itself. I have reported it to the NHTSA. Could everyone post their outcomes with Honda? I would like to see Honda take responsibility for this problem. Please contact me by email.

caire20@hotmail.com
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
    to say nothing of having your e-mail waiting to be scooped up by a Nigerian prince who wants to give you money.

Visiting Host
  • mishmousemishmouse Member Posts: 2
    This makes sence.
    Since I was looking at Trailer Blazers Ext, my brother-in-law talked to an owner of one and they told them that all of a sudden the breaks lock up and send them into the ditch without warning or senor light. So since a system like this is on alot of vechicles a failure in this system causing breaking is not out of the question.

I am also looking in Honda Pilots aka: a 2005.
    If this model year has issues with there VSA system then I will probably look for either older or newer models and make sure I get one without that system installed.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    edited January 2011
    I predicted this would happen in 2005. I published it in the local newspaper, I sent emails to NHTSA, and I published about 50 identical posts here on Edmunds, in different discussion groups. My posts were deleted by Edmunds because they said it was "spam".

They allowed just 2 posts. One of them is the one you are replying to (#2939 of 3294 published in 2008).
    You were right!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have no resolution with Honda!
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I actually turn my "VSA" (Vehicle Stability Assistance) off when there is snow on the ground. I know that it tries to apply the brakes if the system senses a slippage of the tires to bring the vehicle under control. Since I personally don't like when it does this when going around a corner (since I know how to drift around intersection curves) I turn it off. I do make sure to turn it back on for my wife who is like a cat trying to walk on ice when it comes to driving in the snow.

Odie
    Hi Odie,

When you drive on show/ice and you skid a lot, while having the VSA turned OFF, is the system completely disabled or only partially disabled ?

I am asking because the idiots who designed the VSA system for Chrysler Pacifica never allowed the driver to complely disable the VSA system. When the driver pushes the VSA OFF button, the system only changes its threshholds (so it would act way less, but still stays enabled).

Cheers
    It is actually unclear if the VSA system is at fault or if the entire computer is malfunctioning. So just turning off the VSA is no guarantee.
  • marty651marty651 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 EXL Pilot with 94,000 miles makes a tapping or slight knocking noise when the engine is cold. This seemed to start about 14,000 miles ago. For the most part the noise goes away when the engine is completely warmed up. Could this be a piston slap? I purchased the Pilot new and have always preformed scheduled service religiously. I have driven my Honda all over the east coast many times, lots of highway mileage. Other then this I have never had a problem,not even a burned out bulb. Has anyone ever heard of this?
    Thanks
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    When you turn it off, it's off totally. It is actually recommended to turn it off when in 4WD if you are off-roading or in deep snow because if it senses the tires slipping it will screw you up and try to correct what you are doing. Even if you turn it off, you still need to drive responsibly and know your limits. I've grown up with mud and sand in my blood and know the limits of my vehicles. Plus I've taken my Pilot ("The Beast") up to Rausch Creeknumerous times and have had a lot of fun there.

Odie
  • walk_the_walk2walk_the_walk2 Member Posts: 140
    Your slight knocking/tapping sound when the engine is cold sounds like you need a valve adjustment to me. Given that there is probably a timing chain that needs to be replaced at around 100K miles anyway, you could get both done at the same time and save a bit.

Another possibility is that you have been running cheap gas that is too low in octane - if this is the case, you could try adding some mid-grade quality fuel instead to see if the problem goes away. (I avoid off-brand low-price gas stations as a rule myself.)

However, if the problem is not octane related, you should get a qualified mechanic to look at it, since if it is a valve adjustment, it is not a real expensive fix. Hope that helps.
    Thanks Odie.
    So if it ever malfunctions, till will I fix it I will simply push the VSA_OFF button each time I start it.
    Case closed.
  • steveg64steveg64 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2009 and it is far from junk. I know many people who own pilots and they love them. The only vibration I feel with mine is when the vci kicks in and its running on reduced cylinders and you do get use to it.