Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Are you happy with Tacoma?

Jackieo87Jackieo87 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I'm thinking about buying a 1998 or 1999 Toyota
Tacoma 4X4 extended cab. Does anyone have any
comments? Good experiences or bad? Help!!! Thanx.

Comments

• Options
    GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    I have a 1998 Tacoma Ex-Cab w/5 spd, 4 cylinder, SR5 and I love it. I use it for weekend do it yourself stuff and weekday commuting. The 4 cylinder is fine, if you are not pulling a trailer or boat, otherwise I'd consider the V6, which romps!!! The only thing missing is a 3rd and/or 4th door. That would certainly round out the package.

If you have specific questions, send me an e-mail at gischpel@hotmail.com.

Terry
  • Options
    Thanks for responding, Terry. You have given this vehicle a much better report than Consumer Reports did. I'm glad because I really like the Tacoma.
    Jackie
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    I have a 1999 4x4 V6 SR-5 and I love the truck. I wished I had purchased one earlier . . .
  • Options
    bryan99bryan99 Member Posts: 22
    Hi Jackieo87. I am responding to your comments about Consumer Reports and their view of the Tacoma. I just got my Dec. issue and they rate the Tacoma, Ranger and S10. I respect their opinion on most things, but on compact pickups I think they're way off. They call the Tacoma's ride "punishing" and seem to lean toward the Ranger as the best of the three, even though it has a worse repair record. It seems CR doesn't like the Tacoma because it's more like a truck than the popular Camry or other sedans. Well, duh. Get a clue.

What I'm looking for in a truck is reliability, flexibility, power and ease of use, which I think the Tacoma V6 4x4 will deliver. Can someone back me up on this? I think CR's reports on cars are all skewed to those who are looking for comfortable family cars.
  • Options
    jatjat Member Posts: 11
    Bryan,

I agree with you, in fact the Tacoma had the best acceleration unloaded, second best towing acceleration (2 tenths of a second off the best time), best fuel efficiency, and was the most reliable of the compact trucks tested. What more can you ask for in a truck? Comfy ride?... It is a truck not a luxury sedan.
  • Options
    One thing they also dinged the Tacoma for was road noise. That's probably more a factor of the tires chosen than the truck. Put the same tires on all three trucks and then compare them. I have no problem with road noise on my 98 with the stock tires -- Firestone Wilderness AT's.

The report was not very well done in my (obviously biased) opinion.
  • Options
    I plan on ordering the 15" aluminum wheels, with the 225/75R15 tires. They also sell the 265/75R15 tires with those wheels (for $400 more), but I assume these are more aggressive and thus louder. Plus, in Vermont winters, a thinner tire it more useful in the snow.
  • Options
    lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    Regarding the latest Consumers Report, no one seems to be commenting on the article following the compact-pickup comparisons where CR seems to be attacking the character and perhaps mentality of people who drive pickups, especially the compact ones. I don't know the accuracy or the relevance of the statictics being quoted but I, for one, don't believe I'm a menace because my vechicle of choice is a pickup, irrespective of its size.
  • Options
    paulp575paulp575 Member Posts: 12
    I have had my '96 Tacoma 4x4 Xtracab now for over two years and have only two (small) compaints:

1) I got the 60/40 split-bench front seat. That seat, to me, is almost useless. You can not fit a third person in the middle (I'm small, 5'4" and have to slide the driver's seat way up). I would have preferred the buckets, but you could not get the buckets on the '96 without the SR5 package (cost about $4,000 more).

2) CR did a review of the 96 Tacoma and said the stopping distance was excessive. I whole heartedly agree! I understand the 99s have a shorter stopping distance. Anyway, next time I'm getting the ABS.

My 96 has just a little under 24,000 miles. Have had no problems with it.
  • Options
    LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    I read the CR report and found it biased towards someone looking for senible family transportation. The report really didn't fit the profile of most compact 4x4 pickup buyers. I mean really, how many 4x4 pickup buyers really care about where to put a child seat? To give CR some credit, I think they put more weight on on-road handling and comfort because most trucks spend more time on-road than off. I'm guessing that's why they thought Ranger was best. Than again, if a potential truck buyer is serious about on-road driving, than they'd go with a 2x4, not 4x4.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight, Paul. I plan on ordering the 4-wheel ABS on a 99 Tacoma. It seems that ABS is not a popular option around here - most Tacomas in stock do not have it.

We'll see what happens. I have now written email to four dealers in my area. Two have responded with questions so far. They want me to call them. I want to keep the negotiations as impersonal as possible until I get assurance that they either have the truck I want, or will order it for me. Then we'll talk price. :-)
  • Options
    cymcym Member Posts: 12
    I'm hoping to buy a Tacoma 4X4 extended cab 6 cylinder, 5 speed by the end of the year. I know I want to get the ABS brakes, bucket seats, SR5 package of options and the convenience package (tilt wheel, cruise control, tach, trip meter and lighting package). Is there any advantage to getting aluminum wheels versus the standard steel wheels? Is it just looks? What about the 4WDemand option. Would there be a down side to always having the wheels locked (like gas mileage, possibly??) It seems to me that it wouldn't be that big a deal to manually lock the wheels. I have yet to see this particular truck on a lot with ABS brakes. One dealer told me it was because it is not desirable for off roading-could this be so?
  • Options
    I'm going to order the aluminum wheels on my Tacoma because they don't rust. Steel wheels usually end up looking all rusty no matter how you take care of them. Also, I like the more rugged look of the aluminum wheels anyway.

Regarding the auto-lock hubs, I have this on my 1992 Explorer. It seems like an unnecessary luxury to me, and another avenue of breakdown that I don't want. I don't see it as an inconvenience to manually lock the hubs when I need 4 wheel drive in the winter, so I'll forego the expense and repairs of the auto hubs.

Regarding ABS, I will be ordering a truck from the factory with ABS, since like you, I have seen no trucks in stock anywhere with this option. I don't know why they're not pre-ordered with ABS, since most people would use a truck on-road most of the time. Maybe since it's an expensive option, people generally don't want to pay for it. I'll pay the price for increased safety though, and Consumer Reports recommends that option as well.
  • Options
    AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    FYI- Toyota will be redesigning the Tacoma for the 2001 model year, and will hopefully add four doors at that time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input about the Tacoma options. I'd be interested as to how your e-mail process is working out. I have been thinking about doing a similar faxing type process as an alternative to driving to each dealer, but I'm kind of worried that noone will take it seriously.
  • Options
    It's been 10 days now since I sent an email to the area's dealers. I have received responses from two of them so far, asking questions clarifying what I wanted. One quoted what the MSRP would be on the "package" I wanted. I sent responses back confirming what I wanted and have not yet received any answer in 5 days. I assume they are either "looking" for a truck somewhere in stock that fits my requirements, or have since decided that if I haven't called by phone I'm not that interested. ;-) I will eventually have to talk to someone in person, but I'm putting that off until everyone's decided that they will have to order a truck to get what I want. I'd like to have an order in place by 12/31, so I still have a couple weeks yet. I'll let you know...
  • Options
    bryan,

I am curious if you tried www.autobytel.com
    I think you can specify what options you want
    and they will try to find a truck that meets
    your requirements.
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    I tried them for a different vehicle. They couldn't come close to the prices the dealers would give me in person. I don't know how frequent this is, but I've heard a couple of other people mention the same thing.
  • Options
    I guess I plead ignorance about Autobytel. All I know is that they charge money to call around and find a car that you want, which I could do myself. I don't see the benefit gained for the money paid, other than my time. And I've also heard what stanford said as well...
  • Options
    Bryan, I've never tried it but I think the
    service is free. It is supposed to be
    hassle free, no haggling with sales. The
    dealer e-mails you what they can find and
    the price they are willing to sell the vehicle
    for. I think there are no obligations to buy
    from that dealer. Sounds good to me. Then
    again that is assuming that my assumptions are
    true. I'm not sure how good of a deal you would
    get (from what Stanford said you don't get a
    good deal) but at least you can use it as a
    basis for haggling with other dealers.
  • Options
    ApexEnv34ApexEnv34 Member Posts: 23
    I got my 98 4runner little over a year ago, two of my co-workers bought a 98 Tacoma 4X4 ext. cab and a 99 toyota prerunner (?). We are all very happy with the trucks. The Tacoma 4X4 was off-road several times already, as I understand it did better than all other trucks on the trips. I plan to join them soon. The prerunner looked like a 4X4 but is a 2X4 in disguise.

Please also consider the high resale values when you look at the toyota trucks. Only thing I did't like was the toyota dealers. They seemed to have more attitude than others. Service was great though.
  • Options
    drozdroz Member Posts: 30
    I used Autobytel when looking for a T-100. They were supposed to guarantee the best price but I still had to walk out on the dealer to get what I wanted. He did call back but they couldn't get what I wanted. At least it is worth a try to get started and find the best price. I eventually bought a Ford F-250 SD for the size I needed and used the service but had to argue again. But it again did get two dealers at least to call me. I still have my 1991 Toyota pickup which is great and should last another 20 years at least.

As for ABS, you do not stop any faster with them (most studies show slower). You can steer better when lacking traction. That is their purpose. I know how to stop on ice so have no desire for them and don't need the extra cost and maintenance.
  • Options
    ApexEnv34ApexEnv34 Member Posts: 23
    ABS in my area is mostly for raining days. I have driven cars and trucks with and without ABS sytems on wet highways during emergency avoidance, I will pick ABS any day for the added safty. Four wheel ABS is even better.
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    One of the common statements by people who don't like ABS is that they can just apply the brakes to just before the point of slippage. I've always wondered why ABS would affect them, as it doesn't kick in until it detects slip anyway. Cheap insurance IMO.
  • Options
    sHasHa Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 99 Tacoma 4X4 Xtra Cab SR5 and love it so far. One major problem -- NO CLOCK ! I didnt want the convenience package because the Intramentent Wipes come with the tilt steering wheel and I NEVER use cruise control so I thought why would I need it ? Get the convenience package for 2 reasons -- THE CLOCK and THE LIGHTED IGNITION. Can anyone help out - Im looking to buy a compact digital clock for my Tacoma - one that looks like a digital alarm clock and glows at night without having to push a 'LIGHT' button. All I have been able to find is crappy ones that dont light up at auto stores. It wouldnt have to be battery powered, I could wire it if necessary but it must light up/glow and it must be compact. Toyota wants $ 71.00 plus installation for the in dash clock. Forget it. Can anyone suggest a catalog or internet site for a clock ????
  • Options
    Hi Sha. I am interested in the truck you purchased since I am currently in the process of buying the same thing. Can you write to me and let me know the options you bought and what you paid? I won't ask what options you wish you had bought but didn't. ;-)

Thanks!
  • Options
    skyburnskyburn Member Posts: 5
    Hey...unbelievable...I bought a '99 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Ext. Cab w/out the Convenience package...and I can't STAND the fact that there's no damn clock!!! We obviously have the same problem. If you do find a good clock, please let me know..and I'll do the same! Good luck in hunting for one, I haven't been able to find anything that's acceptable yet.
  • Options
    Bryan, I bought a '99 Tacoma V6 Ext. Cab 4x4 with the SR5 LX package and the TRD off road package. If you don't need true 4x4ing capability, the TRD package isn't necessary, however it does give you nice aluminum alloy wheels and big tires, as well as black overfenders and then of course the push-button locking rear differential and the better shocks and suspension. I also got the power package (including windows and locks) and then tilt wheel and cruise control. I got bucket seats and also the All-Weather guard package. So, the options I got are as follows:
    CK : All weather guard Package
    LX : SR5 Package
    PO : Power Package
    AC : Air Conditioning (included in LX)
    CL : Cruise Control (mandatory w/ PO package)
    TW : Tilt Wheel
    CH : Chrome Package (included in LX)
    WR : Sliding Rear Window (includein in LX)
    BU : Cloth Bucket Seats
    EX : AM/FM w/ Cassette (included in LX)
    FD : 4-wheel demand shift on the move (mandatory with the TRD package)
    OF : TRD Offroad Package
    FE : 50-state emissions (won't find this on Carpoint or Edmunds I don't believe..but it doesn't add money to the total)

So...all of that MSRP'd for $24,063 which includes the $420 destination charge.

I got a good deal since I got a $1000 rebate from Toyota and a $1000 match on my downpayment. So after the $2000 taken off of it and after negotiating a lot, I paid $20,706 plus Colorado tax. We got a pretty good deal.

All in all, we paid out-of-pocket (minus tax) about $600 under invoice.

Good luck in finding the truck you want!
  • Options
    Hi! Thanks for the info. I thought I would post the results of my recent visit to a Toyota dealer to "preference" order a 1999 Tacoma 4x4 ExtrCab V6 5-speed:

To make a long story short, we ended up at an impasse in the end over a matter of $109. Here is the breakdown of what we figured, prices are dealer invoice cost:

Base price for Tacoma 4x4 5-speed V6: 18036
    Total options: 2936
    Sub-total: 20972

Profit 200
    Destination 420
    Advertising fee (TDA) 200

Total 21792

I had presented this price after he talked me "up" from pure invoice (I offered the 200 profit) and he went and brought back the sales manager after about 10 minutes. The sales manager gave me a lecture about how he wanted to keep the company-I-work-for's business (which is right next door to the dealership) and wanted good word of mouth and how he'd take my "$200" offer because blah blah blah and shook my hand and left. So the salesguy and I started drawing up the documents to actually order the car. I figured it was a done deal. Then he gets down to what price to write on the order form and says "OK, so it's *this* invoice plus $200 and..." and I said "Hold on. That price is not the same as the price we agreed on." So we go into this hassle about *his* invoice vs. *my* invoice,
    where I allowed $200 for advertising fee, and his invoice had $303 plus another $6 for something-or-other.

So I said no, the price I was willing to pay is the one that *you* took into the sales manager, and the one he apparently agreed on. The salesguy says no, he "agreed" on $200 over invoice. *Their* invoice, apparently. I said no. I was kinda ticked -- other dealers had done this to me before -- have an informal agreement on a price, then at document signing time it's "Well of course there's this fee and that fee...".

So, I offered to pay his invoice plus $200 if he'd include a can of touch-up paint (which he agreed to) and a Toyota shop manual, since I would have bought these anyhow. He said no on the manual.

So I walked. Oh well. We'll see if he calls back, which he hasn't yet in two days.

Anyhow, lessons learned: There is a set "configuration" of 4x4 Extracab V6 Tacomas that are built and sent out to different regions. The one that our region gets the most of (30% of their allotment) is:

AA, CK, CQ, FD, and LX. It seems that if you "build" on an already preset configuration, you have a better chance of getting what you want. So my request would have been the above options, substituting VK for LX, and adding BM, CF, DH, HP, SR, and BL.

I'm going to call another dealer today to see if he'll meet the *first* price I had agreed on with the dealer yesterday. If so, I'll just order it from them.

That's it for now. The saga continues... :-)
  • Options
    Sha/skyburn,

I am in the same boat as you -- no clock in my Tacoma and have learned that I really need one. If anyone finds one, please post it here for us all.

Thanks,

Terry
  • Options
    paulp575paulp575 Member Posts: 12
    I presently have a '96 Tacoma 4x4 XtraCab with a lease that will expire on July 1, 1999. I am looking into buying a '99 PreRunner V6 XtraCab (the V6 gives you the locking rear differential - need for my occasional off-road trips). I whave been talking with the local Toyota dealer and they tell me that you absolutely can NOT order a PreRunner from the factory. He suggested I give him a list of the options I want and they'll find a PreRunner with those options, or at least as close as they can. Here's my list of options:

Mandatory:
    BU - Bucket seats (I hate split-bench)
    CL - Cruise
    DQ - Digital clock
    OF - Off-Road Package
    TW - Tilt wheel

Desired:
    AB - ABS
    DH - Towing hitch receiver
    SE or SN - Special Edition Package (because it
    includes a sliding rear window)
    SR - Sun roof
    ZU6 or ZU7 - Deluxe Sport Package (because it
    includes chrome side step rails)

Other:
    BM - Body side moldings
    HP - Hood protector (aka bug deflector)
    MF - Mud guards or mud flaps as the code
    suggests

So far I have been unable to locate any 99 PreRunner so equipped.

Anyone with any thoughts about any of these combinations?
  • Options
    I have been through what you are doing, trying to order a 99 Tacoma 4x4. There are certain "packages" that Toyota builds and ships to certain regions. Apparently, dealers have little control over what packages they get. However, you should still be able to "preference" a certain color/options/etc. Ask the dealer about preferencing.

Regardless, it would help you to know what "packages" the dealer in your area usually get, and "build" on those - by adding options, etc. In my area, the most popular package (30% of trucks) is AA,CK,CQ,FD,LX. The AB option apparently is only available on certain trucks, mostly with the TRD package. Other options, like body molding, hood protection, mud guards, tow hitch, are "port installed" options, meaning that they are installed after the truck leaves the factory. It is sometimes cheaper and better quality to get these at an aftermarket place. I'm going to have a sunroof, hood protector and tow hitch installed locally here, becuase it's about the same price as dealer invoice, and they have a lifetime warranty instead of 3 years.

If you decide to still order a truck with these options, be prepared to have Toyota say "no" to your order. It seems that the dealer, unless they have a lot of clout, has little influence in getting a specific truck for a customer.
  • Options
    stan11stan11 Member Posts: 12
    If you plan on keeping your Tacoma long-term you might consider replacing the factory stereo with an aftermarket system (including speakers) since most of them come equipped with a clock. I know it's more expensive than ordering the part from Toyota and having it installed, but you will benefit from having a great sounding stereo with better features. Sitting in traffic has been more tolerable since I dumped my stock stereo. BTW, my Tacoma came with a clock and I always feel kind of silly looking at two of them.
  • Options
    Okay Im back -- Still no luck on clocks huh...

I got what I believe to be the deal of the century on my 5 Speed 1999 Tacoma 4x4 Extra Cab (4 cylinder). The options i got were the standard SR5 package, the tilt steering wheel which includes intermittent wipers, an over the rail bedliner and the 4 piece floormats. The invoice price on all of that is 18,348 with the shipping. The MSRP being 20,581. I paid a cool 18,144 after the 800 dollar Toyota customer rebate (which expired 1/4). Plus they gave me 650 for my old Nissan truck, which was in shambles, I expected not a penny over 300 for it. So I got more than 200 off the invoice price. I accomplished this by walking twice and having the salesman call me back both times. My original offer was 300 below invoice. I settled on 204 below invoice. I had one thing going in my favor. Massachusetts toyota dealers seem to stocked solid with Tacomas so he was eager to deal. One note on the clock on stereo thing. The stock SR5 stereo cassette (with cd changer controls) is made by CLarion and is a better than adequate system once you replace all 4 speakers (I reccommend JBL or Infiniti if you cant afford Bose), I think it sounds rather excellent for my needs (im beyond my "booming system" days) so long as you replace the paper mache crap they put in for speakers. So a new stereo just to get a clock is unreasonable. Help me Obi-Wan, I need a damm clock ! PS - Im currently doing research on whether or not there is a after-market CD Changer compatible with the Toyota/Clarion system.
  • Options
    stan11stan11 Member Posts: 12
    If the factory cassette stereo is as good as you describe, then I agree that replacing it would be extreme. (The Tacoma LX packaging offered in Hawaii when I bought my truck came with an AM/FM radio -- replacing the unit was a must.) I suggest you contact Crutchfields for information about adding a CD changer. Most factory systems aren't configured to plug-and-play an aftermarket changer, but maybe Clarion offers something. An electrician friend of mine was able to wire a single-player to his Nissan/Sony(?) factory system and it worked great. You could always install an FM-modulated model, but the CD controls on your deck might be rendered useless.

P.S. If you really want a clock, I'll trade my 1995 4X2 for your 4X4. I'll even throw in a full tank of gas!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on your truck. I paid $18,300 for my 98 (equally configured) and am still pleased with that price, but you worked hard for a great deal. Congrats!!

Terry

PS Thanks for the info on the speakers.
  • Options
    I finally broke down and bought a factory clock, but I have some connections w/ the dealer and got the clock and the bezel you need to replace to make it fit for like $48. I also picked up the single-CD deck in-dash (controlled by the cassette deck w/ CD controls) and an under therail bedliner and a bug shield. All that for a cool $480 or so. Got a better deal than most would since I had the right connections. Also got a friend of mine about $1500 worth of 4runner options for about $900. It pays to know people :).
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me how to find out the invoice price on a truck (assuming I know exactly what option packages it has)? I know some services that will give you the invoice information, but you have to pay them for it. Is this something you can ask the dealer to see? I tried that once at an Olds dealer and they would not comply. Is the blue (orange) NADA book the best resource? I have always used that book as a guide but there is not always pricing for brand new vehicles.

Also, has anyone heard if the 2001 Tacoma extended cab will definitely have the extra door option available? Thanks!
  • Options
    whiteyemwhiteyem Member Posts: 2
    Hey there Jackieo87.
    You are at Edmond's. This is the place to get the invoice price. Just got to the new truck site here and you will find the info. It's FREE! Good luck!
  • Options
    JDIAZJDIAZ Member Posts: 23
    HELP...HELP...HELP

I'm helping the outlaws (inlaws) to purchase a 99
    4cyl k-cab 2 weel drive Tacoma. As you all know most trucks come fairly equipped.
    Chrome Package
    Convenience package
    and all that stuff.

Where I need your help is how much should we expect to pay, and are there any rebates going on
    at the present time. We are going this Sunday to
    buy it and even though is Super Bowl Sunday I don't want to rush into a bad deal.
    Please help.....

jd
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    First off, I will not argue that Toyota makes a good truck. However, this year I was in the market for a new 4x4. After test driving them all and doing my homework, I purchased a Ranger. The Tacoma is very expensive. I purchased a Ranger XLT 4x4 kingcab stepside 5spd loaded for thousands less. I am an outdoors person. This truck has been tested in the mountains and back roads of Oregon. I know, reliablity, reliablity, reliabllity. Only time will tell. So far it has about 10K and no problems. With the money saved I was able to fix it up with a bug guard, spray in liner, better tires, brushguard, nurfbars. See you in the hills.
  • Options
    I just picked up my new 4wd SR5 Tacoma extended cab V6 truck this past weekend. I have a little confusion on the proper tire pressure for the stock tires (P225/75R15). When I asked the fleet manager, he said 32PSI all around, but the manual and sticker on the door frame says 26 front/29psi back with these tires. This is quite a variance, especially since I always read that it is so important to maintain the "correct" tire pressure. So, what is "correct"?

Also, is the 26/29 for an empty bed or assuming you have weight in the back? Someone once told me that with an empty bed you would want more weight on the front tires because there is comparitively more weight up front in that situation (the engine). Thanks for any help, or direction to another topic that will help answer this question.
  • Options
    I would use the recommended tire pressure from the tire manufacturer as stated in their documentation in all tires. That way you are covered under the tire manufacturer's warranty should you have a problem.

Terry
  • Options
    In response to the Ford owner who seems to be claiming his ford was a better value :

2 Reasons its not...

1) Resale price - do your homework - Resale Value on a Ford from 4 years ago is about 20 to 25 % less than that of a four year old tacoma...which transitions nicely to point 2

2) Longterm Reliability - Taking a ford over 100,000 miles without MAJOR costs is HIGHLY unlikely - Taking a TACOMA over 100,000 miles is routine. Again, I researched this one as well.

These were the two major reasons I paid about 2,000 more to get a Toyota.
  • Options
    LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    sHa,

Since you did some research on this stuff, I was wondering if you know how the Tacoma stacks up against the Nissan Frontier on those two things.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    In response to sHa. I found the Ranger to be less expensive for the same equipment as the Tacoma. Now, I paid less, ok my resale will be less than a Tacoma. So I see it as you either get it coming or going. Like I said also, I am an outdoors person. I really use my 4x4. The Ranger has never let me down. I was also able to add some nice add ons to my new Ranger with the money saved over a Tacoma. A co-worker bought a Tacoma just before I bought my Ranger. He and I had a shoot out in the mountains of Oregon. I could do everything he could. So my feeling are the only difference between the Tacoma and Ranger are price and the reliablity issue. I feel confident my Ranger will last a long time. I know how to take care of 4x4 vehicles. See you in the hills.
  • Options
    tc14374tc14374 Member Posts: 22
    A few responses back someone mentioned a redesigned Tacoma for 2001, anyone seen any pictures if so post it. I would really like to have the option for more doors like the new Tundra. A local dealer told me to expect that a loaded tundra would go for 30-35k. He's getting 20 in June and he already has deposits on all 20. The Tacoma maybe more in my budget;
  • Options
    erickarterickart Member Posts: 5
    Just my thoughts regarding Toyota trucks. My 4wd has never once failed to start, nor has broken down since the day I bought it in August of 1988. It has been the most dependable vehicle you could imagine. Eleven years old (almost) and 145,000 miles later , it still has the original clutch !!! All I have done is replaced the tires 4 times, three batteries, and one muffler. I've had it tuned up every couple of years and replace the oil like religion every 3 thousand miles. My only complaint is the terrible rust that formed around the bed/rear wheel areas . Now I am trading her in on a new Dakota club cab 4X4. I wanted to wait for the Tundra, but after talking to the Toyota rep at the local auto show, thought it would be too expensive. I only hope my new truck is half as reliable as my old one.
  • Options
    wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    sHa

Bought a 98 Tacoma Xcab V6 SR5 in June 98. I love it . I tried AutoByTel, and the service was great, but the dealership they hooke dme up with SUCKED! The price was right, but they low balled the trade. I went to a another dealership and got a better price and $1000.00 more for my trade. I had to haggle but it was worth it. I tried complaining to autoBytel via email, but nothing became of it. Either way i love my Tacoma,and most of all love that it will be worth more than a Dodge, Chevy, or Ford when i sell it for a 4Runner in a couple years.

-wsn
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    Bought a '99' extended cab Tacoma with the SR5 package and V6 engine back in November. Only gripe I got is that you have to turn your head downwards to see the clock that is blocked by the steering wheel. I find that the running boards are a nice feature that makes egress for those that may have a harder time getting in or out. Toyota recently had a survey regarding the future Tacoma. Did anyone see the survey?
This discussion has been closed.