Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hjr1hjr1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts the last few days. It is possible to get what you want out of a car deal if you are methodical and thorough.

Here's what worked for me...

I started here at edmunds looking at comparions, reviews, etc. Went online to request quotes from the internet sales dept. This works great if you're on the go w/o much time. it keeps you out of the dreaded cubicle and keeps you more in control. I had each email me some starter numbers.

Each reply was structured a bit differently. It's always a combo of loan rates and sale price. Make sure you're given the car price, all dealer fees, dealer installed items, tag and registration = true out the door costs. If they keep telling you to come in for a better idea say no and move on to a new dealer.

Line up the best financing you can find for yourself and make the dealer beat it if they want your loan. This takes the price vs. loan variable out of play and gets you focused on an even tighter OTD.

I bought from Gwinnett Place Honda near Atlanta. 08 exl with navi - 29,600 otd. I bluffed a bit on the rate I brought with me and got 4.9 % for 60 mos with no money down. I managed to get the incentives and a good portion of the promo rate too.

By using the internet and not getting caught up wasting time at dealers I saw salespeople at two dealers in a one day span and came home happy. I brought my infant son with me as a prop to keep the upsales folks at bay in the ole' finance managers office.
  • hjr1hjr1 Member Posts: 2
    Compared to what I see in Atlanta that sounds like they have higher 'dealer fees' tacked on than others. They always have a 'hook'
  • mmedicmmedic Member Posts: 15
    We just bought 08 4WD Pilot EX-L w/NAV for $28,900 + tax in Northern VA. Total OTD came to be $29,900 including VA tax.
  • cheshire1cheshire1 Member Posts: 16
    I was hoping for a reality check. I'm e-mailing several dealers in my area looking for a 08 AWD Pilot EX/L with navi.

1) According to what I've read, those in my area invoice for $33,030 (including destination fee), dealer's holdback is $1,091, and the dealer can expect to see an additional rebate from Honda for $3,500 if they sell this month. If I understand correctly means that the price, excluding any non-bogus fees and taxes, at which the dealer makes no revenue at all is $28,439.

1a) Am I right on my assumptions and conclusion?

2) Leaving out the outliers, most dealers are coming in within about $100 of each other, about 400-500 over that "break even price" before fees and taxes. On top of that, most dealers are asking for title and fees between $250 and $300.

2a) Are those fees real or do they include profit for the dealer?

2b) How low can I reasonably expect to go? It sounds like the dealers want to get the 08s off their lots, but they obviously have to eat. Is it worth pushing it or am I getting close to their rock bottom already?

Thanks!
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    If you can buy a new Honda for invoice less all known incentives that is a good deal - if that includes the Honda, destination, and dealer doc or prep fees. Anything down into the hold back is a great deal if it includes all that.

I didn't check your invoice numbers, but I assume you double checked them from a couple of sources online?

Edmunds shows Honda hold back at 3% of MSRP but I have been told several times by other sources that it is actually 2% of MSRP now. If true, the the model you are looking at only has $727 in hold back and not the number you state.

As to what fees or legit or not, you have to figure that out for yourself. Get a break down of what they are adding to the Pilot and destination. All dealers in your area should be charging the same to title, tax, tags or tag transfer, etc - the difference may be the amount of their doc/prep fees.

So just take each deal and look at the price for the Pilot/dest/dealer fees and if you are into the hold back that is a nice deal no matter what the dealer fee is. If when you include the dealer add on fee you are over invoice less incentive then you have more bargaining to do :D .

Dennis
  • mike274mike274 Member Posts: 35
    Hi Dennis

Thanks for all the great info that you provide. Are these BOCH Honda prices for real? They seem so much lower then everywhere else in the NorthEast. Do you know of any hidden fees they charge? If they are for real, I would make the trip to Mass from NY. I have a buddy who wants an Accord and we can make it a road trip. Thanks again
    I think they do have a doc fee, but just contact them and get a firm quote for the vehicle with destination and any dealer doc/prep fees included. I have seen folks here in the various Honda "prices paid" forums get nice deals from - you can search in the Accord, Civic, and other forums for examples I guess.

Dennis
    I got on the Holmes Honda e-mail list a few years ago when shopping for a new Honda. Never did any business with them, but they seem to have nice prices from time to time.

From an e-mail today:

HONDA PILOT VP SPORT UTILITY
    BEST MID-SIZED SUV
    AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    MSRP: $28,190
    DEALER INVOICE COST: $25,590
    HOLMES INTERNET PRICE: $23,590
    60 MOS AT 3.9% APR: $433/MO

Good through March 24, the e-mail says.

Again, no connection to me nor have I ever purchased from them but I thought I would pass it along. I don't know if they add a doc fee or other stuff like that.

Note that this seems to leave $500 on the table as profit on the VP (not counting hold back) - since there should be a $2,500 incentive on the Pilot and their price is just $2k under invoice. Perhaps the 3.9% financing would more than make up the difference? Or you could ask them for a $500 lower price :D .

Dennis
    Thanks. I have one more ettiquette question.

I e-mailed several dealers and told them that I was ready to buy, and was shooting for the best OTD price. Several really came through, and if I'm doing the math right, I'm into holdout, even if you assume the "documentation fee" is pure profit.

Here's the ettiquette question. I'd probably prefer to deal with the dealership where we took our test drive, because the sales guy was very helpful and not pushy, and because he came through with a fair price. (He's at about 29,000 OTD including all fees but not including tax).

1) A couple dealers are $100-$150 under him. Do I owe them anything for coming up with such a good price? If I email them and say I decided to go with my test drive dealer, am I being a jerk?

2) I could go back to the guy I want to buy from and ask him to match, but that feels cheap when I am getting a good price. Am I a sucker for leaving money on the table, or would I be a jerk for going after it? (Techinically, I guess I could also e-mail all three leading dealers with a final price $100 under the lowest offer, and buy from whoever bites first, but that seems even cheaper to me).

Thanks again - Cheshire
    If are sure you are getting a good deal, then $100 or $150 really is not that big of a deal. That is what, 0.35% of your total deal? For such a little difference I would go with the dealer you like the best, closest to home, best color choice, etc.

A few years back we could have saved $200-300 by travelling 2 hours more (4 round trip) to a cheaper dealer. My wife and I decided it was really not worth the time, trouble, and gas so we paid a little more and purchased closer to home.

Sales people do deals, test drives, talk to folks, exchange e-mails all day long. They cast a wide net many, many times to land a single sale. So they should be used to rejection :D . A more aggressive person would play the dealers against each other to try to drive the price lower - and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are not comfortable with that, and you are sure your deals are into hold back for the vehicle / dest / dealer fee then do what ever feels right to you. Be sure that no matter which dealer you choose that once you are there ready to sign the paperwork that nothing has been added or changed - if so just walk out and go to the next dealer on your list.

Dennis
  • fiufiu Member Posts: 25
    It's just a common practise to bargain for sth, why dealers never feel shame for stealing money from buyers, but you customers feel guilty to get fair deal for your money.

The dealer still can make profit even you go $100 below their best price. Take a easy, it's just business, you deserved what you pay for, it's their job to provide you their service and their time, and you make choices based on both the price and their services.
  • djangodjango Member Posts: 13
    Dennis

I live in Aurora , IL. I am in the process of buying a Pilot Ex-L. The best price received by me is OTD28770. Is this a good price ?

My target price is OTD 28200. Am I being unrealistic. ?

I am providing the break-up to arrive at this price:

Base price 26070
    Doc 150
    License Plates 143
    CVR Fee 25
    Tax @ 6.75

Let me know wahr best to expect.

Thanks for your help.

Satish
  • orcafellaorcafella Member Posts: 2
    I have just started the process of buying a new 2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4x2. My first quote from the internet sales department breaks down like this -

$26,351 - Pilot
    $726 - Dealer Fees ($399 Doc Fee, $299 vts fee, $28 title fee)
    + Tax

I will be trying to get the Pilot for $25,500 - $26,000 and do not see a problem getting that price because of the first offer being $26,351. The question I have is the $726 for dealer fees. That seems way to high, I was expecting the fees to be under $400. Could someone who has purchased a new Pilot tell me if the $299 vts fee is real? And do we all pay $399 Doc fees? Thanks for the help!
    4Wd or 2WD? Invoice on the 4WD is $30,917 and $29,651 for the 2WD. Take off the $3,500 dealer incentive and you have $27,417 and $26,151 . If someone is offering you the 4WD for $26,220 (Pilot and doc fee) then snap it up. If that is for the 2WD then you may be able to deal price price down a little lower.

Your price may be a bit unrealistic as there is not that much profit left in the deal at your price.

Dennis
  • hondapilot08hondapilot08 Member Posts: 14
    A quick live chat with BOCH honda would reveal that their price is nothing great and definitely not worth the long drive for people from far away.

The promo price $23,988 is for a 2 WD EX-L, and for AWD it's over $30K.
    I have a better quote from my local dealer, $27,800 (and he is willing to do better than this, I just have to prepare myself to spend that much money) for a Honda Pilot 2008 AWD EX-L with Navigation.
  • reidcarlbergreidcarlberg Member Posts: 4
    Cheshire1,

FWIW, I would keep going. Don't worry about upsetting a couple of car salesman. Yes, there's the karma thing, but they do it to people all the time. Most dealers will beat your best quote by $200. That means a quick question to your dealer asking them to beat your next best price would be worth something like $350. How long does it take you to bring home $350? If you can spend an hour or two on the phone, wouldn't that be worth it to you?

Re: the karma thing. You can ask nicely. And if they refuse just say, OK well thanks for your help. I'd prefer to buy from you but I need to take the lowest possible price. That doesn't make you rude or anything. And if you're worried about it, just be super nice to everyone.

And if/when they start talking about needing to make a buck of whatever, ignore them. The car dealer business is complex enough that you and I, who only buy a car every few years, have no idea of the details of their business. Nor do we need to.

Just go for the lowest price. That's a win for you. Moving the car is a win for them.

Good luck & have fun!

Reid
  • reidcarlbergreidcarlberg Member Posts: 4
    I'm not Dennis, but FWIW, if you have the patience, you might try to beat the price by shopping it to at least two other dealers. You never know. You might find someone willing to beat it by a couple of hundred bucks (or more) just by asking around. You'll **know** you have a good price when the dealers stop trying to beat their competition. And if you save a couple of hundred bucks based on a couple of hours or work, that's what $100 per hour? I'm guessing that would be pretty good ROI for you (as it would be for me :) )

Good luck & have fun!
  • jillyrenejillyrene Member Posts: 33
    Can you tell me what dealership gave you that quote (was it for a 4x4?) I'd gotten a few good quotes, but when it comes time to pin them on it, they keep falling through. . .
    Dennis

Thanks for your advice. I am looking at 4WD.

I have not got a offer of $26220. The best I have got is 26920 ( Pilot + Doc ).
    This is the first offer I received ( and may be this is the best offer) . I am trying to find if i have room to negotiate & get a better price.OTD 28200 would be nice.

Satish
    Thanks Carl

I agree with your thought process. Unfortunately i have not received a deal where my OTD comes to 28200 ( read base price : Pilot 4WD Ex-L + Doc= 26220). I was seeking Dennis advice for I have read some of his posts & he seems to know the price point much better than a guy like me.
    I got a quote 26920 for 4WD Ex-L from Honda of Joilet & 26900 from Valley Honda. This is base price of Pilot + Documnetation fees. Taxes & License plates would be additional.
    I have not got a quote of 26220. I was trying to find from Dennis what is the price I should expect to get.

Let me know if you have received better prices than what I got
    For a 4WD you are well into the hold back at this price, go get it. There is not much profit in that deal and I don't think worth your time to try to get. You are around $500 into the hold back including the doc fee.

Dennis
  • hondapilot08hondapilot08 Member Posts: 14
    Here's the final quote that I'm thikning of jumping on for a 2008 Honda Pilot EX- L AWD with Navigation.

$27,500 + State Tax+ $199 Doc Fee + Title, registration, plates and $7.50 for tire tax.

What do you think of this price?

Thanks
    Dennis,

I am a little confused here. Why would anyone give such as offer as the first offer ?
    Also I read two posts in this thread where they have said that they have got Ex-L 4wd for 26078 & 26182. Your explanation seems logical to me.At the same time $500 difference is making me think as if I am missing something.

Satish
  • piccachupiccachu Member Posts: 5
    Hi Here is the lease quote I got from Honda today
    08 Pilot SE 12k/36mo
    700 out of pocket at signing
    came out $404 monthly including everything.

Is it a good deal? Or I should keep shopping?
    I am in northern new jersey

thanks for helping.
    My opinion -- stay away from Valley Honda!!! They will not deal with you straight at all. It's a long story, but last year we made a trip out there being told that they have exactly what we wanted, except they tried to sell us an '08 (obviously at that point we were looking for 07). With 2 kids and a long drive -- we were NOT happy. And they were really sleazy about the whole process. Everything about them is disgusting.

And with Honda of Joliet, I was really disappointed. You can read my earlier posts, but we were on our way to pick up our new Pilot -- and never made it because they "just realized" the EXL was really an EXL w/ RES. . .

anyway. . . so far, Community Honda in Orland Park seem to be really straightforward. . .

post more later
  • andyman1970andyman1970 Member Posts: 47
    You're still on the prowl?? Have you tried any of the north or northwest side dealers? I can tell you Schaumburg has little or no stock left, and Elgin is diminishing fast. You could try Castle or O'Hare
    Yes, isn't it sad ???! I can't seem to get anywhere. I've had bad luck O'Hare. Castle gave a good quote, but can't get a direct answer about any "extra options" that I do not want.

I think I'll be going with Community, even though they're a couple hundred more -- they're closer and seem to be most upfront--telling me the dealer-installed options. Does that make sense or should I just go with the lowest bidder?

I am SO ready to be done with this -- even strangers are tiring of my shopping! ;)
  • ejayejay Member Posts: 1
    27,053 OTD, best deal I could find within a two hour drive. 2WD pilots seem scarce around here {Va.} and I paid exactly invoice - 3500 + ttl. People at Pohanka Honda were excellent to deal with.
    Ej
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    I have a quote from a local dealer for a 2WD Pilot SE for $24,300 and $25,600 for a 4WD Pilot SE. Those prices do NOT include Freight, processing, TTL.

Are those considered good prices? Both quotes appear to be slightly under the invoice - $3,500.

Thoughts? :confuse:
  • rdeshrdesh Member Posts: 9
    I bought 2007 Pilot EX-L 4WD in the month of July 2007 for 26200 plus dealer fees, taxes and registration. OTD price was 28263. Then 2008 were just started coming.
    26200 was Invoice - 3500 dealer incentives - 900 hold back. So if the dealer is desparate and having lot of stock, they might go in to hold back too. So check with couple of dealers.
  • ksr674ksr674 Member Posts: 11
    Bought a Honda Pilot EX-L with Navigation 4WD 2008 model. Billet Silver. No extras.

Price: 28,400.
    Doc Fee: 150
    Taxes: 2143
    Title and Registration: 168
    Total: 30,861

Financing: 2.9% for 36 months, 0 down.

Dealer: Honda Superstore of Lisle, Lisle, IL

Other low quotes were 28705 from Honda in Joliet (email quote), 28990 from Community Honda in Orland Park (Phone quote), 29168 from Continental Honda in Countryside (Visited the dealer and talked to the salesman).

Personally visited the shop and said I will do it now if they sold it for 28400. They agreed, no pressure and gave for 2.9 APR.

It is the lowest february quote I received from Honda store in Joliet (the sales manager refused to honor their own february price and increased it by 300).

This website helped in getting a deal I am happy with. Took the fear out of me in entering a car dealer shop. Thanks EDMUNDS. PM me for salesman name.

Suresh
    Hi Jill

Pulled the trigger today. Final OTD for 4WD Ex-L -28600 which works out to sale price of 26640. Got it from Continental Honda. I would recommend them if you are unable to get better deal anywhere else. I was assisted by a guy by name was Roberto Orozco. Nice guy - not pushy & not trying to sell what i did not want. No hassles. Pleasant experience. If you need more details let me know. Would be glad to help

Satish
    Dennis,

Thanks for your advice. Wanted to let you know that I purchased the 4WD Ex-L for Sale price of 26640 - OTD 28600. You were spot on when you mentioned there was little wriggle room for negotiating a better price. Thanks for helping in arriving at the right price.

Satish
  • chicagobuyerchicagobuyer Member Posts: 6
    After reading this post, I contacted 3 Chicagoland Honda Dealers, and ended up going with Continental. Overall a good, low pressure experience. At the end, they did do a little number and got an extra $75 out of me, but that is not too bad. $28,700 for EX-L NAV. Would have gone for $28,500, but I wanted more for my trade-in, which they gave, but then held firm on the price. I got the 3.9% for 60 mos as well.
    Overall a good experience. The Internet Manager/GM is fairly upfront. His Internet quote was within $200 of what they sold the car for, so not bad.
  • snikdasnikda Member Posts: 1
    Took the plunge today on a 2WD EX.

Price $23,050
    Dest $635
    Tax $700
    Doc $398
    OTD $24,965

What's the feedback on my deal?

I got a little bit of money in the final negotiation but there wanted to discount price and not adjust doc fee for some reason.

I actually received an offer from Gwinett Honda in Atlanta for $22,657. This was below their President's Day sale quote which is listed here on this forum. I decide the drive from Raleigh to Atlanta was not worth $400.

Used Edmunds and followed the Motley Fool's car buying advise. I got all of the $3500 incentive, but was stopped short of getting into their hold back. I had several dealers decline to match the offer, which told me I was near the bottom. Inventory on 2WD EX is now very tight here. Seems only VP's and EX-L's are left in inventory. I was able to get the exact color combo I wanted, Nimbus Gray/Gray cloth.

Buying experience was good, but there is a smugness to dealing with Honda and their lack of wanting to negotiate. I guess when you have a great product, there is little need to haggle much.
    Congratulations Satish! I bought today too. Finally. From Community, I actually paid 26625 -- which was almost 300 more than my lowest quote -- but I have to say it was worth it because (1) pretty close to home and (2) they were very professional, upfront and no pressure. And I couldn't take going to another dealer with some bait + switch tactic. So who knows if that lowest quote would've actually been honored.

One thing though, how did you get an OTD at 28600? Ours was 29035. Our taxes in Cook are 7.75%, so maybe that's how. . .

Oh and does anyone know the answer to this? The finance guy said you can no longer buy extended warranties from Honda, so if I pass on this chance, it's done. I didn't take it because I don't think it's true -- any one know for sure?

Thanks!!

And maybe I'll see you on the road Satish!

Jill
    Congratulations, everyone. I bought a AWD Pilot EX-L w/ Navi today for 31,200 OTD. (29,021 base, $250 doc fee, $1,903 sales tax, $26 title fees). I used the "donkeypunch" method from the Odyssey board and was amazed how well it worked.

I actually got some quotes that were about $150 less than the one I took, but they didn't actually have the car in stock. I probably could have cut about $200 off the price if I had really worked it, though, but I thought it was a fair price and wanted to go with someone who could deliver my car to me immediately.
    Congratulations Jill!

I think what you did was right. I only interacted with dealers on mail. This was the only dealer I visited. The difference is definitely due to tax. Tax in my region is 6.5%.

I have never opted for extended warranty in my earlier vehicles & I did not opt for one this time too. Dennis may be able to give appropriate advice on this one.

Once again Congrats!

Enjoy your ride
    Congratulations to all the new Pilot owners - seems like several were sold just today to forum posters. No recession here :D .

Dennis
  • chevynovalnchevynovaln Member Posts: 10
    We got one too! :) $29,867 OTD price for a 2008 Nimbus Grey 4WD EX-L w/Navigation. We ended up getting the running boards, bug deflector and roof crossbars for an additional $1100 on top of that, but the OTD price was for a fully loaded from factory Pilot. We love it! BTW, our dealer said they would match the price from Saccucci Honda for $1195 (8-year / 120k miles). Amazing! :D

Pictures here: http://www.ChevyNovaLN.com/Nimby2008/

Brian / ChevyNovaLN
    So I declined the extended warranty. Should I purchase this? If so, where's the best place? From the dealership or from the internet?

thank you!!
  • chicagobuyerchicagobuyer Member Posts: 6
    Hi Jill,
    I am in the same boat - I haver never purchased an extended warranty before b/c of Honda reliability, and have never needed it for anything major. however, i have had other small issues with the high-tech stuff- CD changer, ABS sensor, Airbag sensor, sunroof motor, Oxygen sensor etc. So, I am thinking about going in for the warranty this time. Since the online dealers (Sarcucci) are basically selling them at cost, I will likely get one, and if I am going to, it makes sense to get the longest one ($1195 for 120K). I figured, that way I know that my Pilot is guaranteed for at least that long (8yrs) without any other funds out of my pocket, including the Navi, cd changer, oxygen sensors, etc. Afterwards, I will keep it running another couple of years and then get the model 2 gens from now....
    Good Luck!
  • grupo999grupo999 Member Posts: 4
    All,

One more purchase: 2008 Nimbus Grey 4WD EX-L w/RES for 30K OTD in Chicagoland (Grand Honda). Declined Extended Warranty per latest Consumer Reports issue. Great experience. Stock may be indeed low - Grand Honda was all out of NAVI and their Sunday ad today mentions 21 Pilots in stock. Thank you forum posters for the guidance provided. It greatly helped!
    If you decide to get an extended warranty (AKA service plan) be sure to only buy HondaCare and not a 3rd party plan. Honda has decided to crack down on "Internet sales" of HondaCare so it may be hard, harder, or impossible to get an Internet cheap deal on HC after the end of March.

Normally you can pay a little more and wait to buy right before the basic warranty is up at 36/36k, but if this ban from Honda holds up you might be stuck going to your local dealer for HC at a rip off price.

Saccucci, Bernardi, and others sell it just over cost online - at least they do right now.

Your Pioot is a Honda so you probably will never need the coverage, but it is pro-rated refundable if you cancel it for any reason (totalled car, trade it in, etc). For $50 it can be transferred to a new owner should you decide to sell the car to someone else yourself.

Dennis
  • lufacalufaca Member Posts: 31
    II joined the board to see what could be a good deal be for a 2008 Pilot EX-L 2WD in southern California. I had secured a line of credit at 5.25% for 60 months but not too long ago I saw a special with AHFC (Honda) at 2.9% at 60 months. I saw the pictures for the 2009 Honda Pilot and I was not impressed. As a matter of fact We (my wife and I ) preferred the existing model. I am a little confused with the dealer hold back and the current 3500 incentive they have in place. What would be a good price bottom line for this 2008 Pilot EX-L 2WD in Southern California? The lowest I've seen was: 26800 plus destination fees and taxes. Is this a good deal?

Thanks
  • awaheedawaheed Member Posts: 2
    Looking for any Honda pilot lease deal experiences in the bay area in the past few weeks and details on the deal you made including Money Factor & Residual and the OTD price
  • fred25fred25 Member Posts: 92
    To all:

If you are really going for the extended warranty make sure your read the fine print carefully. We all try to know what covered, but you should also know what's NOT covered so that you really know what you are paying for up front. May I suggest that you reach out to other Edumunds forum members who have purchase these extended warranties and get THEIR experience.

Fred
  • orcafellaorcafella Member Posts: 2
    I am shopping in Las Vegas and have a quote for 26300 + docs and tax. So your 26800 seems to be average. But mind you that this was my first quote that I received and will be looking to pay 24-25k for the Pilot. This is for the 2008 EX-L 2WD.
  • yen_sawyen_saw Member Posts: 7
    Pilot EX-L w/navi 2WD price is going at $27,500. 2.9% for 36mths and 3.9% if above. The Pilot w/navi is selling like hot pancake at the moment.

I am sure 2009 will have better features like availability for both navi/RES, blue tooth, milage reading based on exisitng gas left, fuel efficiency reading, power rear gate, etc but for the current rebate/discount on the existing model makes it a very "money for value" car. I don't like the look of the 2009 Pilot either. ;)