Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    New? No more than $3,500 under published invoice for the Pilot, destination, and any and all dealer fees.

Used? A lot that that the price above :D .

Dennis
  • fiufiu Member Posts: 25
    Why not VP? you can compare the feature/money difference between VP and SE. BTW, if you choose Honda cheap finance, there is another $1000 incentive difference.
  • cjkbme2wcjkbme2w Member Posts: 82
    I think that the best time to get the pilot will be mid May to mid June. There are still a LOT of 2008 Pilots on the lots (mainly EX-L AWD, then EX AWD) and the 2009s start arriving May 15. Honda will need to increase incentives to move those 2008s. Also, remember that gas prices in May will rise to $4 given todays $100+ oil and increased driving demand in May. Pilots will not be flying off the lots. I am waiting for a $3,500 EX incentive + 2.9% financing.
  • gourami74gourami74 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new 2008 Pilot SE 2WD for 24988 (exclude tax and license)
    This is in Northern CA. and the best price I found. Got the price through the internet and only 1 other dealer was willing to match but not beat the price.
    Was this with the special financing? What dealer?

This is $4,400 below invoice, so it appears that Honda has increased their
    cashback to $4,500? I assume then that you can get the $3,500 back and
    2,9% financing (if this didn't already come with that APR).
  • sidsharsidshar Member Posts: 3
    Hello Honda Hunter,

I am considering Honda of katy, how was your experience there? Would they match price from other dealers? When they quote out of door price do they add some hidden charges later or they understand out of door means out of door.
    I will provide your name as referal in case I go with them. Thanks.
    BTW, if you choose Honda cheap finance, there is another $1000 incentive difference.

If you choose the cheap financing, $1000 of the dealer incentive goes away. So the $2,500 on the VP becomes $1,500 and the $3,500 on most other models becomes $2,500,

Dennis
    No. $2500 can be combined with cheap finance on VP. But $3500 will become $2500 if combined with cheap finance in other models.

Dealer showed me the printout and many other ppl here also confirmed that.

I just got a VP $2800 under invoice with 0.9APR a few days ago in Seattle area.

That's why I said VP is a good buy this month.
    This is true. I have been quoted $2,500 off invoice for VP + 2.9% financing (60 months). If I had done 36 months, it would be 0.9% financing.
  • blazerboyblazerboy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks guys. I'm about to test this out. I will report back.
    Gotcha, but if you wanted to get a different model (SE, EX) you would get the same $2,500 off and cheap money or $3,500 off without the cheap money. So the VP is the same level of "good buy" for all the other models if you are using the cheap money loan and not as good a buy if you don't need the financing.

Dennis
    Hello:

We are looking to purchase a VP 4WD this week. How can I tell if there is a
    vibration problem that everyone is talking about if the dealer is far from a major interstate? What percent of the 4WD have this problem and what is it caused by?

Craig
    Yup, it's same amount incentive cash for all models if you choose cheap finance.

We are looking for EXL orignally, but for $4000 more over VP, we don't think those
    extra feature worth it.

It's about the time to buy if you like VP, it goes very fast in our dealership, they only have 3 VP out of 40+ Pilots, you may not be able to find VP left in May or June.
    You should test driver yourself. Vibration may be related to 4WD but not related to VP. There is no difference in engine/trans for all 4WD models.

I have tested drive a few 4WD VP/EXL Pilots, but didn't find any problems. There may be bad samples,.
    Good point. My local dealer is holding the silver 4WD VP for us until Thurs.

$24,396 including 5yr/100k powertrain warranty
    $200 tags & fees
    3.25% tax in DE
    Out the door = $25,338.

I am now more concerned about this 70mph vibration than the price. Has this been fixed with the 2008s?
  • blazerboyblazerboy Member Posts: 3
    What is this vibration of which you speak?
  • jimmyabjimmyab Member Posts: 12
    No special financing. I got my pilot on Saturday.
    Talk to Janelle or Steve and tell her that you are looking for the same deal that "Deep" got on last Saturday. First of all check if the color of the SUV you want is there in stock before driving out there. I have already talked to Janelle and she said they would offer the same deal if I sent any buddies of mine. But dont bargain..... because this is way way too low and no one else is willing to go that low in NJ & Philly area.

Again the SUV I brought was 2008 Honda Pilot EX 4WD
    MSRP is $31,780 (w/destination charge)
    Lowest Price $28,839 (w/destination charge)
    Lowest Quote $24, 616 (w/destination charge) from Open Road Honda
    Deal from Willis Honda $ 24, 416(w/destination charge)

If you are looking for the exact same trim level this is the lowest price anyone ever paid I guess in NJ/Philly area. More important..... I was very satisfied with the sales person Steve. Once in a blue moon you will find a person like him who will give 100% until you leave the dealership with your new vehicle. :D
  • mike274mike274 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how it works if you buy a New Pilot in Jersey and live in New York? Are there any extra fees you have to pay or how the tax situation works? Thanks
    Something that I have read about on this and hondapilot.org. I haven't purchased the car yet, so I have not experienced this. The dealers I have talked with say they don't know what I am talking about.
  • carslycarsly Member Posts: 32
    This is my hunch, that they are bumping (or have already bumped) to $4,500 below invoice otherwise there are way too many people getting deep into the hold back (some or all) for it to make sense. I'm sure the public view is still the $3,500 but we all know there are extra kickbacks and discounts that don't become public. Besides, the dealers know that once one dealer confirms this it hits the Internet and they all have to drop pricing by another grand - if they stay quiet they can let people think they are taking $400-500 of holdback and keep the other $400-500 for themselves.

If I were making an offer I would think about $4,500 below invoice and holding there until someone bites, particularly for an EX-L AWD and more so for one w/RES or w/NAV.
    Did they say what the deal would have been with the special financing- $1000 more?
  • og4lifeog4life Member Posts: 25
    That price is really low. Did they add any doc/dealer fees to that price. Just curious. Never mind. I just noticed it wasnt the EX-L. Still a good price though.
    I am going to find this out myself, as I now have an email from Janelle at Willis. I will keep everyone posted of my quotes for

EX with special finance
    EX without
    VP with special finance
    VP without
  • nittsnitts Member Posts: 4
    I am in Philly area. I just got an internet quote for a 2008 EXL with Nav for $30,205 plus tax and tags only. MSRP is $36,280. $6,075 discount...this is good, right??
    To see if its a decent price

Take Invoice minus

$3,500 w/o special financing = $29,405
    $2,500 with special financing = $30.405

However, I believe that there is an additional "hidden" $1,000 incentive, so I keep tuned to this board for more info. I am offering $3,500 under invoice to dealers with the special financing.
    Is "Deep" your name. I have an email into Janelle, but what if she asks for your full name?
    Thanks. In my haste, I forgot it was invoice instead of MSRP. Duh.

Separate question...I want both nav and dvd but you can't get both. Am I better off getting one vs the other factory vs aftermarket? For instance, DVD factory and Nav aftermarket better than Nav factory and DVD aftermarket?

I like the factory DVD because it is seamless and you can input the DVDs in the front dash. I figure the aftermarket Nav is easier since it doesn't have to be integrated.

Anyone have experience with this tradeoff?

Thanks.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    It really depends on which you like better. I like the factory NAV because of the button on the steering wheel and voice recognition. However, its a very expensive option. Like you said, having the DVD integrated into the system is nice, too.

Having said that, if I were to choose one, I would go with the factory DVD because to get it the way I would want it aftermarket would involve replacing the entire stock stereo. I have a standalone NAV unit (TomTom) and absolutely love it. I don't miss not having a factory NAV one bit. ESPECIALLY considering the price difference!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I am leaning that way too.
    The Nav includes the backup camera, which is about the only thing that might make the cost of the Nav stuff worth the asking price. Yeah, I know it is voice command and all that but the OEM Nav systems are all horribly out of date and can be expensive to upgrade the maps on - if they ever release new maps at all. For a fraction of the cost you can get a nice GPS (I prefer Garmin, but there are those that love TomTom and Magellan as well) - for enough money you can even get one that offers voice command. You can also use a portable out of the car on hikes, walking around town, or in other cars. For the asking price, even at invoice, the OEM system is WAY overpriced.

That said, you can get a RES put in for less than the invoice difference of the Honda system, but that price is a lot closer than the GPS price is.

You can get aftermarket rear view systems as well, and Honda has an accessory backup sensor system (no camera, just beeps). Not nearly as neat as the built in system you get as part of the Nav package.

So it all depends on what you "must have" and you get to pick since you are paying for it :D . Nav probably holds its value least well down the road when it is time to sell or trade your Pilot, but the RES may not do a whole lot better. A Pilot with neither is likely to return more PERCENTAGE of its purchase price on the used or trade markets.

Dennis
  • manypilotsmanypilots Member Posts: 25
    I just purchased in Baltimore area, my price for an EXL-Nav was over $1,400 lower than yours. All quotes that I got in this area were lower than the price you were quoted. Maybe the dealer doesn't have very many navis on hand, and feels he can move them at that price, I don't know. Personally, I would keep shopping for a better price.
  • jimmyabjimmyab Member Posts: 12
    Hi cjkbme2w,
    Yes! Tell her "Deep" she should remember. I had very good experience with sales person Steve who was assigned by Janelle. Be sure to post your experience.
    Good luck
  • pennywise2pennywise2 Member Posts: 6
    Bought a week ago after spending months haunting this forum and researching. Felt the time was right. Got an EX-L AWD no navi or dvd. Paid $27,560 plus ttl. Thought it was a good deal, probably could have ground them down more. Thought to wait until May, but had a buyer for my other car, so I pulled the trigger.

So does it sound like a decent deal? BTW, family loves the Pilot. :)
  • pennywise2pennywise2 Member Posts: 6
    By the way, forgot to add my buying experience. I had my game face on, went towards the end of the night on a Sunday, coached my wife to play the disinterested buyer, ready to walk out...we had all the moves planned out. Never underestimate a 9 year olds ability to totally trash your game plan. From the minute my daughter sat in the Pilot, she was gushing about how great a car it was, gee, look at all the cup holders, we should buy this car, blah blah blah. The salesperson was loving it, I'm sure.

When it came time to sit down, I chased off my daughter. Got the usual pressure from the salesperson to close the deal. I had my trusty folder prominently displayed on the table, upon which I wrote the names of all the dealers in the area, plus the fleet managers name's and phone numbers, so they would get the idea I had been shopping (which I had been). Plus I had a legit print out with other quotes. Bottomline, knowledge is POWER...is how to save money.

I think if I could have waited, the deal could have been even sweeter, but I'm happy with the purchase and the price I paid.
  • steve_njsteve_nj Member Posts: 2
    Hey,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...$26,623.84 was the base price of the 'unit' , added tax, tire fees, registration (I transfered my plates).........
  • nycersnycers Member Posts: 4
    Is it more cost effective to have the EXL installed with front grill side steps and fender flares at the dealer or buy them after market and have them installed. any experience out there thanks
  • rameshmsrameshms Member Posts: 6
    I bought my chrome side steps from handa-accessories.com. Installation was very simple. I did it myself in about 90 minutes. It costed a little over $500 for parts+tax & shipping. Dealer offered non-chrome version for $800 installed.
  • jellybeaneaterjellybeaneater Member Posts: 3
    I just got a quote of $26,302 for the Pilot 2WD EX-L, no Nav or RES. But when I asked if this price would be eligible for the 2.9% special financing, the guy said it would be $1,000 more if we did the special financing.

So the deal would be:
    MSRP: $32,400
    Invoice: $30,917
    Selling Price: $27,302 ($3,615 below invoice)
    + TT&L

I really want the EX-L with RES, but this dealership doesn't carry them. Instead, they have a system that another vendor will install for $1300 - $1500, which I'm not exactly crazy about. They say it's covered under the warranty, but it doesn't seem like a good deal to me, since I could buy an aftermarket system on my own for less than that.

I think I'm going to keep shopping. I could probably negotiate this dealer's price down a little, but without the RES, it's not really worth the trouble at this point.
  • lufacalufaca Member Posts: 31
    I am waiting to get the best deal I can get I mean low financing and the 3500 incentive. Honda my give you both if the economic situation worsens I personally do not see a good economic outlook all the way throughout the summer. The newly redesign pilots are coming out and they do not want to be sitting in a big inventory. Another negative on the pilot is that they are not well known to be economic cars ( I would say they are known to be a little gas guzzlers). Either I get a good deal or I do not buy the car.
  • godsyndromegodsyndrome Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased an Odyssey EXL from Ourisman Honda of Laurel, and I could not ber happier! We recieved an email quote (the same one everone else here as listed) went to the dealeship and were shown 2 vehicles. We purchased a SIlver Odyssey EXL and paid exactly what the quote said. They did try selling us paint protection, rust proofing and other items-which we refused. We came in with a check from our bank and lefy without paying anything additional! Overall a very good experience, thought hey could have made the whole thing even better by nor trying to sell the additional unwanted items!
    Unless *I* wandered into the wrong forum, this is the PILOT prices paid forum - the Ody forum is elsewhere :D .

Dennis
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    It depends on the dealer.

Some dealers will register your vehicle in NY for you, in that case they collect the NY sales tax.

If they don't, they shouldn't collect the sales tax, you would register the vehicle yourself when they get the NJ title, about 3 weeks after the sale. You pay the NY sales tax at that time.

I've done it both ways.
    Thanks for the feedback. If they register it in another state, do I pay the sales tax in that state and the difference I would pay to NY

Thanks again
    On a purchase an out of state dealer should not charge you any tax at all. The exception would be if the dealer was in a border state and was used to collecting your state's tax and has a tax ID in your state to pay it in. In cases where you want / need to finance the taxes you may can get the dealer to roll your state's taxes unto the deal and cut you (your state's DMV) a check for the taxes to pay. Then you take the MSO from the dealer along with the check for the taxes and register your car.

A lease is a little different because most states charge tax on the payment and any cap cost reduction, but each lease bank has a tax ID for the states they operate in so they can add it to your payment each month.

I have purchased and leased a lot of cars from out of state dealers and they all just sent me a limited power of attorney to title the car along with the MSO/MCO and in some cases a tax check.

There could be some states that collect taxes from non-residents on a purchase, but I would think this would be pretty rare and could lead to you being double taxes.

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis. Once again you are very helpful.
  • mwest75mwest75 Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks, I'm a prospective new buyer. My wife and I are seriously looking into the Pilot as a replacement for her '03 convertible Mustang. I'm learning a good bit from all of the previous posts but also it raises a few questions. First some basics: I live north of Atlanta, GA. I've used the internet/email method to purchase an '05 Accord in late '04 so I'm relatively experienced with this process. Closed that deal with Hennessey in Woodstock. Currently looking at Pilot EX-L AWD w/RES. Has anyone from my general area had any recent experience that they might be able to share with me? I'm not great with face to face negotiations but I imagine that the marketing support $2500/$3500 or even $4500 is only available in the dealership correct? Additionally, there has been some debate about whether the below invoice amount is still available when the APR deal is given. Is this correct or can one still get the $3500 & 2.9% APR? Any kind of specifics (#'s wise) that any of you can provide would be very helpful. Thanks ahead of time for any replies both in my area or not! ;)
    I purchased in the Baltimore area, an EX-L Nav without the financing incentive. I received multiple quotes, all of the quotes I received were into the dealer hold back i.e. on a dealer invoice of $32,905 including destination, all quotes were less than this figure minus the cash to dealer incentive of $3,500. If the Atlanta market is similar to the market here, I would hope you could purchase an EX-L RES for less than dealer invoice w/dest. of $32,363 minus the $3,500 incentive for a deal without the financing incentive. That comes out to $28,863 plus TTL.
  • rbennett99rbennett99 Member Posts: 1
    about 48K miles, leather, moon roof, 4WD in Indianapolis. Dealer price is $21,998, but I'm hoping to get the price down in the $19K range. Anyone have any insight or thoughts on this? Am I being realistic?

Trade value is $14-16K
    PP is $18-20K
    Sugg Ret is $24

Any feedback is welcome! Thanks.
  • mwest75mwest75 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks very much manypilots! I appreciate the feedback. Doing the basic numbers on edmunds.com gives me $30,022 as the TMV price. If I were to pull the $3500 incentive, I'm looking at $26,522. Obviously this is before tax, tag & title. Does this sound accurate to you? As well, do you foresee a $4500 incentive late Spring/Summer?
    I wish I could answer the increasing incentive question, but I don't have a clue. I guess it all depends on if the current incentives pare down '08 inventory enough. If you wait there is a small chance you may get a better deal, but you may not get the color you want, if I were to guess.
    Ridgeline incentive is at $4,500 on certain models, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Pilot will get that low.
    I have a feeling that inventory is getting scarcer on selected trim levels. For instance, at the dealer I bought from, there were 10 EX-L Navs in stock when I started looking 12 days ago, now he is down to just 2.