Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wsgallwsgall Member Posts: 3
    Have been reading with interest the various buying experiences previously posted. I have a questions with regard to the incentives with the Pilot. If not mistaken, many on this board have been able to get the cash and 2.9 financing, or am I wrong. When you read the incentives as shown on this site it too makes you think both are available. Appreciate any clarification.
  • aixaix Member Posts: 30
    For the higher trim lines, I believe it is $2500 + the low apr (if you qualify) or if a cash deal you could get $3500 off. Though the VP might have only be offered at $2500. From my personal experience, we just bought an EX-L Navi $3155 below invoice with the 2.9% financing. I would have attempted to push them lower had I not needed the financing. Hope this helps. The 2009's are literally around the corner, I would think that prices are going to get even better on the 08's once the 09's hit the floor. Just make sure there is inventory so you get the color/trim level of choice. Good Luck! ;)
    Thanks aix, that is what I thought 2500 plus finance. The salesman called me last night with the offer you describe, the offer I told him I wanted and was available two weeks ago only to get jerked around. But, because it was the last day of the month suddenly they could deal. I passed on it, you could have heard a pin drop. Since I am interested in the Pilot, I will begin looking for new dealers today.
  • yobobyobob Member Posts: 4
    I got the 2.9 percent finance rate and $2500 back on the new 2008 Honda Pilot VP on April 29th.
  • sidsharsidshar Member Posts: 3
    Ok, My base price was 25138+8.25% tax+ttl.
  • mqumruz88mqumruz88 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Vandypilot,
    I know you bought honda pilot from goodson north with best deal. can u email me your sales person's name at mqumruz88@yahoo.com. Thanks a lot.
  • skipperskidskipperskid Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to thank everyone on this board for all the information you have provided. I will definetely be paying less for my next vehicle after reading on this forum.

We are looking at an 08 EX AWD in Minnesota. I just got quoted $24653 base +tax, title, $50 doc fee and destination charge. This is $3551 below invoice. I believe this a good deal? Should I be trying for more off, or perhaps try and combine this with the 2.9% financiing? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!
  • manypilotsmanypilots Member Posts: 25
    If you are at $3501 below invoice, the dealer is essentially giving you the $3500 cash incentive, and you are only into the holdback by a buck. I purchased an EXL-Nav about 2 weeks ago, I got into about half of the hold back. It probably depends on supply and demand in a particular area. I have read that Honda has decreased the cash incentive to $2500, if that is the case, then you got a good deal IMHO.
  • rsh6rsh6 Member Posts: 7
    I'm waiting to see if Honda announces new May incentives over the next day or so before buying.

I spoke to a Philly dealer just now and he said that once the '09s are out (i.e. sometime this month), Honda will pull dealer cash and the dealers will be on their own to provide incentives to potential Pilot buyers -- that all seems a bit odd for two reasons:

(1) the expiration on Honda incentives are typically found right on the announcement (http://automobiles.honda.com/current-offers.aspx) -- you will also notice a disconnect between what Honda says the incentives are and what Edmunds says the incentives are (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/honda/pilot/100891109/incentives.html) (i.e. the $2500 in dealer cash through May is noted by Edmunds, but not Honda).

(2) On cars.com, I counted about 70 EXLs without NAVI/RES in the Philadelphia area (30 mi radius around a Philly zip) -- if '09s are rolling on the lots early this month, do they really expect to clear the '08s without, at a minimum, maintaining the current incentives.

One more thing, as I'm writing this post, a Jersey Honda dealer just called and offered $27417, including destination, with special financing
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Dealer cash is not advertised by Honda and we are not "supposed" to know about it. The idea is the dealer can make you a super deal and give you too much for your trade due to the $2,500 or $3,500 incentive money. You get a good deal without knowing how desperate Honda is to sell Pilots. Honda never has customer rebates and they claim that they never will - as it cheapens the brand. With hidden money and cheap financing they try to reach the same goal - move slow sellers.

Normally they will do a final buy down on the left over models - basically just mark down the invoice to the dealer for good and at that point they are on their own to sell them. When that point comes there will probably be no cheap money or leases on them either.

We don't know what they will do for May, but April was again a good month to buy or in some states lease a Pilot. Getting one for $3,500 and more under invoice and cheap financing is a real bargain. I would expect more incentives but I am not sure if they will raise the amount any or not. Clearly the model you are looking for is widely available so I would just wait and see. Worst case you miss out on the deals, but it will not be long before they have to have incentives on the 09s to move those as well.

Dennis
  • ntikkuntikku Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2008 4WD EX yesterday (4/30) in Manassas, VA for $24,031 including destination + tax + tags
  • carslycarsly Member Posts: 32
    Although I don't always agree with Dennis in this case I think he's right. Honda has held the line on the $3,500 incentives for what seems like four months with the occasional cheap financing as an add-on in different regions to move inventory. With the dealers I've been investigating in the NY/NJ area the past two months I can tell you supply is tight on some trims (EXL w/RES, for example, are almost all gone) with other dealers being bloated with VP's and SE's. EX's and EX-L's seem to be moving with the discounts and not many NAVI's left.

Believe it or not, more than a few dealers INCREASED prices the last week of April in order to keep some inventory for May as the 2009's don't float in until the end of the month. Happy hunting!
  • rsh6rsh6 Member Posts: 7
    Just spoke to the Jersey dealer again, they said Honda incentives for May are the same as April ($3500; $2500 + special financing)
    Although I don't always agree with Dennis in this case I think he's right

What! I thought I was always right.

Dennis "legend in his own mind" :D
  • jvidhunjvidhun Member Posts: 5
    Planning on getting a Pilot Ex-L this weeknd. Had earlier posted the message about EX-L navi quote, but decided to forgo the navi for 2k, plus 4wd with navi are scarce.

Am debating between the 2wd and 4 wd. I live in so california. Have not need a 4 wd car in the 8 years I have lived here, but feel if I have an SIV maybe it should be 4 wd. Can you guys pls advise.

Thx
  • ohresohres Member Posts: 46
    It looks like a very good deal.
    What was the price before destination + tax + tags?
    Thanks.
    If the Pilot 2WD models were rear wheel drive, then I can see the point of getting a 4WD model even if you don't live where there is snow. Since the 2WD Pilots are FWD then I would save the money (and gas) and get the 2WD model.

The exceptions would be if you need the extra towing capacity of the 4WD model (4500 VS 3500 lbs) or if you were the one out of a million SUV owner that actually was going to take your SUV off the pavement :D .

Dennis
  • carslycarsly Member Posts: 32
    Just checked in on carsdirect.com (whose pricing reflected the standard $3,500 below invoice the last few months) and they are now showing $3,600 below invoice. Has anyone else heard of Honda bumping by $100?
    Try some different ZIP codes, it is probably just that dealer dipping $100 into the hold back.

Note that the carsdirect.com prices do not (usually) include dealers fees, so a dealer can show a nice price on there and then add a fee on top to make it not as nice. You are free to ask them to knock the price down to cover that, of course :D .

Dennis
    MotorWeek is road testing the new 2009 Pilot on program #2735 which debuts on PBS stations (that carry the show) this weekend. It should be on SpeedTV next week.

You can read the review online at this link.

Dennis
    It was $23,400 + $635 destination for a total of $24,035 for a brand new 2008 EX 4WD...
    Preliminary American Honda Sales Report Shows April Sales Increase
    Honda Division sets April record; final numbers to be released as soon as available

Due to technical difficulties, American Honda Motor Co., Inc., is forced to delay the posting of final April 2008 sales numbers until the issue is resolved. All reported numbers are approximate and are expected to show increases when final results are tallied. Preliminary sales tabulations show that American Honda April sales will exceed 134,000 vehicles, compared to 126,419 vehicles for April 2007.

Individual April records for the Fit, Civic, Civic Hybrid and CR-V will push Honda Division sales to an all-time April record of more than 121,500 units, compared to 111,226 units a year ago.

"Selling conditions are certainly tough, but at Honda we see this as an opportunity," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda. "In difficult times, consumers make very rational, thoughtful purchase decisions, which play into Honda's core brand strengths of outstanding fuel economy, safety and quality
  • kel180kel180 Member Posts: 3
    what dealer? that's a deal!
  • rg66289rg66289 Member Posts: 3
    With approved credit, you can finance for as low as 0.9% for up to 36 months, or 2.9% for up to 60 months.

Here is the special!!!

2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
    MSRP = $34,080.00
    INVOICE = $30,917.00
    YOUR SALE PRICE = $28,598.00
    You can have either a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, or your first 3 years of maintenance

Thanks
    The incentive is $3,500 on this model and they are just $2,319 under invoice so this is not a good deal.

The powertrain warranty is some 3rd party and is likely worthless (buy a HondaCare complete plan if you want to extend the warranty). 3yrs of maintenance for most Hondas is not that much and they change the oil when the minder tells you it is time (about 6,500 miles depending on driving conditions) and NOT every 3 months / 3k like some folks like to do. You would have to consult a Pilot service schedule to see what else would be needed in 3 years, but probably just an air filter and a cabin filter - both are cheap online and easy to do yourself.

So I would tell them keep the freebies and drop the price on the Pilot :D .

Dennis
    Koons Honda in Manassas, Va...I really liked how they quoted the "Final Out the Door" price on the online quote and I then negotiated an another $300 off from there to offset difference in the lower processing fees that other Honda dealers were charging in nearby Maryland...I guess it also helped that the date was 4/30, the last day of the month and they wanted to meet their numbers...Their Internet Sales guy was named Ahmed and was a good guy and easy to deal with....
  • cleo13cleo13 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all of the information. I just purchased a Pilot EX-L RES FWD for $27500. With the fees I paid $27820 + 3% sales tax in New Mexico. I also got the 2.9% financing for 60 months. There were only two (2) RES vehicles left in NM at the time of my purchase on 04/28/2008.

Did I get a good deal?

Thanks
  • mancomanco Member Posts: 4
    Please share the dealer name and the Sales person. Looks like a great deal.
    Looks like you got a very good deal. $3600 under invoice with low apr..very good. ;)
    I have a price of 27,717 plus tax and title for a Pilot. This using the 2500 dealer cash and 2.9 finance. From reading other posts, this seems fair, not the best but pretty decent for this car. Most of the dealers in the Pittsburgh area seem to be in the same ballpark. What should I expect to pay for an extended warranty? I know these can be profit centers for the dealers, but I plan on hanging on to this Pilot for a while and would like the comfort of knowing it was covered if needed.

Thanks in advance.
  • kucha12kucha12 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to thank everyone in this forum for the great discussion, information and advices. I have been reading this forum for about a month and also thinking of purchasing a Pilot EX-L. I debated between FWD and AWD. FWD was cheaper and had VCM, which could save some money on gas. On the other hand, Pilot is SUV and leaving in Northwest (Western Washington especially where we have rain for 4-6 month in the year) having AWD is preferable. Even dealers said that they did not have many FWD in stock because Honda usually does not ship them to our area. I emailed several local dealers around Seattle and received some quotes. They were different, varying in thousands of dollars.

The cheapest quote was $26740 + tax 9.3% +ttl ($29500 OTD) if I have my own financing and $30780 OTD if I take low APR financing. I ran some numbers and found out that it is same thing in terms of monthly payment and overall price of the car if I take 2.9% and $2500 or go with 4.49% and $3500 off. All dealers I spoke to in my area said that it was impossible to combine $3500 incentive and low APR offer.

Same dealer offered 4.49% through Honda Financial. They had great selection and we got color with an interior we wanted. They also had to throw wheel lock and mud guards for free. After all we got our EX-L 4WD Pilot for $26740 + tax (9.3%) + title + doc. fee ($29500 OTD). It was about $4200 below invoice with my financing. I think I got a good deal.

Thanks again.
  • ohresohres Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for the information.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    This week promotion at Boch Honda in MA good til 5/9/08

$25,988 on EVERY 2008 NEW PILOT AWD ...

Model: 4X4 SE W/RES With MSRP of $33,630 (Save Over $7,800)
    Model: 4X4 EXL With MSRP of $34,080 (Save Over $8,088)

excludes taxes, title, doc fee, and registration fees; prices include all customer rebates, promotions, and incentives to dealer.
    I wonder if they can combine those prices with the low apr? Great deals nonetheless, if you're looking at those specific trim levels. They're really trying hard to sell those 1,000 cars per month..... :)
  • jvidhunjvidhun Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Just bought a EX-L with navi, white 2 wd. Final price was 27700. Dealer installed a bluetooth system for telephone calss, which I didn't ask for, but figure will beuseful with the new cell phone law coming into effect in California this summer. OTD was about 30K.

Love the car...

Thanks for all the advise and posts. I wasn't even thinking of getting one till 10 days ago when I stumbled upon the forum and discovered the rebates etc..
    aix -

if you're at Boch's site, you can talk live with sale rep. to ask that ?.

The online talk can be print out as record & Boch can do same also.
    Ask them if it includes the destination charge or not and how much the doc fee is. Boch claims to be the largest volume Honda dealer "in the world" but in the past folks have reported the super low price quotes did not include destination and whatever their doc fee is.

Dennis
    Price exclude TTL, Doc Fee is 298.

Destination is already inside the MSRP. If the Ad says how much OFF MSRP then the destination should be included. However they may add it on again to see whether buyers protest. If not then they make 600 more extra profit.

I once spoke online and the quote didn't mention destination, when I got there the floor manager put it on. As soon as I said it was not there during online chat, then he scratched it quickly. I think this floor manager will add the destination on ALL his quote to test the water. I wonder what % on his rate of success to rip off another 650 - 680 from customer.
  • wyyangwyyang Member Posts: 29
    Sales of light trucks fell 4.8 percent to 52,655 from 55,300, as demand for the Pilot dropped 30.9 percent to 8,321 and sales of the Element fell 14.9 percent to 2,907.
    Actually, the Pilot for April 08 dropped 36.2% compared to April 07. YTD 08 is only 14.7% behind YTD 07.

Even with all the dealer money they still did poorly.

Dennis
  • wyyangwyyang Member Posts: 29
    30.9% is the drop of total sales in the month. 36.2% is daily sales. Somehow they managed to sell a lot more Odyssey. I guess incentive there as well?
    Amazing how gas prices/sentiment are directly impacting uptick of FIT and Civic hybrid, while Pilot and Element are sinking. I think Pilot and Elements sales negatives are also compounded by old/no change to styling, and '09 Pilot release in May...... Sad that we have to wait until $4.00 gas, to respond in an ECO-friendly manner...... :D
  • mike274mike274 Member Posts: 35
    HI Dennis

Do we know what the current incentives will be for May on the Pilot

Thanks
    They had dealer money on the Ody, Ridgeline, and Element in addition to the Pilot. Cheap leases on some an in some places and cheap financing. Looks like right now $1k-2k per Ody for may.

Pilot incentives are still $2,500 to $3,500 and they have cheap financing. Low, but not real cheap, lease rates are available for May in some states.

Dennis
  • manypilotsmanypilots Member Posts: 25
    Dennis,

Do you think one reason Pilot sales were down so significantly, despite the big cash to dealer, was that historically fewer '08s were produced at this point at the very end of the cycle, what with '09s due to hit the floor imminently?
  • markandhillsmarkandhills Member Posts: 15
    Dennis, is there any way to differentiate who is offering $2500 vs the $3500, other than just plain asking? I guess I'm wondering if a certain region of the country (or some other factor) dictates the amount, or is it simply different from dealer to dealer based on their volume. We were thinking of buying in the Chicagoland area just because the volume is higher there vs. in our home state of Montana, but if our local guy will make the deal we'll go for it.

Heck, I could spend $300 (thanks to esaver fare this weekend) and get to Boston and drive 'er home... :P
    The dealers I checked on still had lots of Pilots to sell or lease, the supply of the less expensive models seems a little lower than the supply of EX-L models. I am sure that varies from region to region and state to state. One dealer has over 30 in stock but just 2-3 VP models, another has over 30 as well but 5 VP models. Most seem to be top-heavy with the most expensive trims.

I think the rising cost of gas may be the biggest factor, that and the lack of a nation-wide cheap lease deal. I don't know what incentives and deals they had on Pilots in April of 2007 but they sure sold a lot more Pilots then than they did for April 2008.

The Pilot has never been popular and Honda has had incentives on it for years - maybe non-stop for years. I know we looked a leasing a Pilot in 05 but chose an Accord instead - but the incentives and cheap lease made it a nice deal. Fast forward 3 years and it still is a nice buy and a nice lease (back in Jan).

You would think Honda would be getting more desperate to sell these than they are. They will struggle to sell the new Pilot as they did with the old one. They listened to customers (good thing) who said they wanted a tougher looking, larger SUV and they got it. The trouble is they should have been listening to the folks that DID NOT buy a Pilot and make one they would buy.

Dennis
    The VP models have $2,500 and all the others should have $3,500. The amount appears to drop $1k if you take the cheap financing. If you have to finance and run the numbers, I would guess the cheap financing would save more than the $1k but it all depends on your rate. Some credit unions are doing 4.49% to 4.9% for new car loans, so it might be close.

Invoice is well known you can find it a number of places, the dealer incentives are shown here. Hold back should be 2% of MSRP. If you take invoice less incentive that should be a nice price, if you can get into the hold back a bit even better. I would just be up front with them, tell them you know invoice and incentive amounts and know the 09 Pilot is on the way and you would take one of the old Pilots off their hands if they are willing to make you the right price.

My local dealers would not come close to the deal I got on our Pilot by driving 3 1/2 hours each way. Not even close - we are talking $1,200 or so IIRC. I have leased cars from all over, WI, CT, KY, GA, etc - going where the deal is. I have used a car hauler to bring them in or done the fly out drive back or driven both ways - as long as the deal was right on the right car it was no problem.

If you want to fly and do a long drive home, I am sure I can find you a deal in Louisville or Atlanta areas. Might not be worth the plane fare and gas, though.

There are several low price dealers in Chicago, but you also have to watch for tricks. They get someone in from out of state and then remember to add the destination charge or the dealer fee on top of the price you were quoted. I can vouch for dealers elsewhere I can recommend, but if you do something like this in Chicago get several deals with several area dealers and if the best one does try something just leave and go to the next dealer until you get what you want for the right price.

Dennis
  • mike274mike274 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for all the great info Dennis. I live in Long Island. Do you know any dealers in this area to go to and if they still have stock available

Thanks again
    I think we have had folks here from NY / NJ get Pilots in the last few months. Maybe one of them will step up with a recommendation or you might to a search of the forum to see if someone is reporting good (or bad) deals.

Dennis