Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mgc407mgc407 Member Posts: 20
    i was decietfully lured to that dealership and they were trying to sell an EXL, i just walked out on them.I wont believe whatever they offer until you drive out of that shop at that price. i wont be suprised you get slammed with all sorts of add on charges.
  • jc9394jc9394 Member Posts: 39
    Well, I never liked them from the beginning. I went to Herb Chambers in Seekonk on last Friday and closed the deal on Sunday. Here is what I paid and will pickup the car tonight. Double checked the Stock and VIN number before I left the dealer yesterday.

MSRP 40665
    Off MSRP (match Boch) 4800
    Trade in (99 Pathfinder with 112k miles) 3500

Total paid before Tax and doc fee 32365

Have the following accessories installed

Lighted running board, Remote Start, and Wheel lock. 1260 installed
    Lighted running board - 784 (list price on honda.com)
    Remote Start - 509 (list price on honda.com)
    Wheel lock - 81 (list price on honda.com)

5% tax - 1681.25
    doc fees 299

Total OTD - 35605.25

I highly recommend Herb Chambers in Seekonk, no pressure, very relax and in and out under 3 hours.
  • tally667tally667 Member Posts: 2
    I have an initial quote from one local dealer for $33300 before tax/tag...I am in the Tallahassee, FL area. This is $767 over invoice. I know there are better deals out there, I am looking for others to share what they paid for same vehicle. This quote is from Proctor Honda. Thanks
    Thanks, that sounds like a good deal. I will now negotiate with the aim of getting this 4800 off MSRP.Is there any Honda special finacing on yet? I am also interested in the lighted running board,all seasons mat,fenderwell trim and cargo tray. Most of them are quoting the running board 1100+. Most of the dealers dont actually charge for the wheel lock. What color did you get, so far they dont have a dark cherry with biege interior. I will check Herb chambers in boston
    No special Honda financing, but I did go thru Costco and got 4.84% from Capital One. I was surprise that both the lighted running board and remote starter only cost me around 1200 installed. As for the wheel lock, they normally gave that for free but since I got them to sell me the vehicle below invoice, I figure they can make few bucks on the wheel lock. I try to be as fair to the dealer as possible, they do need to make some money.

I got black on black.. :shades:
    Thanks for the finance info, the best i had was 5.47 so far from the credit union with 20% down, i did not know costco could be that good never used them before but i am a member. I will go out to pull the trigger this week. I will keep you posted.
    Good luck, I will be picking my up this evening.
    Get your Honda Care from here, it is the cheapest I found. They are a very reputable dealer in Boston area.

http://www.bernardiwarranty.com/
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    The site says if you live in California you can noy buy it on line. I know it used to be true for Florida but CA id news to me. Anyone has any info on this?
  • maureenwmaureenw Member Posts: 7
    We looked two weeks ago at the Roseville Honda at a touring model. Loved it!! The owner of the dealership was not willing to go much lower than msrp. We said we would wait until prices drop a bit. I am actually hoping the dealers will go for invoice plus Honda offers 0% interest! A girl can dream can't she?
  • cabbqkingcabbqking Member Posts: 11
    you are not dreaming....you might not get the 0% interest, but you should be able to get very very close to invoice. I called around a month ago in Orange County, Southern CA, everyone wants msrp...this past weekend I called the same group of dealers, all will jump on $500 just on the phone...I am sure if you go to the deal and turn the screws, you will get invoice or invoice plus 200.
  • bsandersbsanders Member Posts: 2
    The 2008 Pilot is selling fast, but you can still get a great deal if you can find one.
    We just purchased a 2008 EXL 4x4 w/aftermarket DVD and remote starter (wanted the factory dvd but could not find it in the color we wanted). It also has rear mudflaps, wheel locks, cargo mat and dealer installed paint protection -- these are all features we were not looking for but were already on the car.
    Purchase price: 27,362
    With 670 destination, 150 Doc fee + T.T.L. There was also a 25 dollar optional electronic filling fee that I did not worry about (could have fought that charge) but I felt good about the price.
    I got internet quotes and after going to the dealer with the lowest price, they played their dealer games and tried to increase the price and used usual tactics to try and close on another car. They promised to deliver, but after putting up with their B.S. for one day I shopped around using their low price and found the car in the color we wanted. There was no negotiating and no pressure. We received the same price for the features we wanted and some extra perks thrown in (see previous mentioned add ons). We got what we felt was a fair price and the dealer made a good profit...all this on a car that is selling fast and furious. Be aggressive in your search and firm in your price and you will also find a fair deal.
    You could upgrade to the 2009 using the same internet quote tactic to get the best price, but for us it did not make sense to pay an extra 5000 for a new design and minor upgrades.
    P.S. Received internet quote of 33,145 no destination charge and remote starter included on 2009 EXL w/RES
    Avoid River Oaks Honda in Calumet City...original low internet quote.
    Planet Honda in Matteson, IL was great, no pressure, no games, great service before, through and after the sale.
    Good luck!
  • bakstge1bakstge1 Member Posts: 24
    Currently working a deal in Long Island, New York. Been doing the internet email thing with all the locals, here is where I am at...

Vehicle MSRP is $31,995. (Edmunds National Avg is $30,395)
    Edmunds Invoice is $27,526
    Numerous local email offers at $30,500
    One dealer is advertising in the local paper $29,795
    Destination add $670

I am offering paying $28,500 plus TTL & Destination. Think I should go for the juggular, play real hard ball and offer $28,500 including destination?
  • bsandersbsanders Member Posts: 2
    Good luck! Contact all of the dealers and mention the lowest quote you have received so far and see if they are willing to beat it. My only advice is to take a written offer or print out of the lowest e-mail offer and go to the dealer that you would probably buy from. If you mention the "magic words" you will be amazed at what can happen. magic words: I'm ready to buy today...if the price is right.
    I have emailed offer of $28,500 including destination in that price. My math tells me that is about $300 over invoice. To me that is fair as they still get that and the holdback. Will post results.
  • rockettrrockettr Member Posts: 7
    You seem to be mixing up the prices on the FWD (front wheel drive) and AWD (all wheel drive). Here's what I see for a 2009 Pilot EX AWD on Edmunds:

$31,995 - MSRP
    $28,972 - Invoice
    $670 - Destination

Invoice + Destination = $29,642

So your $28,500 offer is $1142 (or 4%) below invoice (if you really are looking at an AWD). I don't know what the holdback is, but I'd guess it's less than 4%.

If you are really looking at and for a FWD model, than your calculations are correct and you seem to be making a reasonable offer.

Good luck.
    Correct, I am working a deal on an AWD and your replys make me feel even better. I have been in constant email communication (no phone calls yet) with one specific dealer whos latest response was.. " If I can get you in at $28,500 OTD, plus tax and tags, do we have a deal today" They do seem to be trying to make this happen and this would equate to $3495 off MSRP if I can nail it and I would be happy. I will post the results.
    $3500 off MSRP on a 4WD EX is a really good deal, I would jump on it before they change their mind. Ask them how much is the doc fees..
    MSRP $31995
    Invoice $28972
    Holdback 2% of invoice $560
    True invoice $28412

OTD 31995 - 3500 = 28495

28495 - 28412 - 670 = - 587 (dealer lost)

They are selling you the car at lost, jump on it.
    Still waiting on an answer from them, however I find it hard to believe they will lose money if they go ahead with the deal. Isn't there factory quota bonuses and such they get?
    Only if they sell certain numbers of cars per month, the other reason I see it happen is they want to move it so they don't need to pay the bank interest rate.
    I recieved my reply, and I appreciate the fact they were honest and nice about it. I will most likely buy from this dealership, just on that fact alone in the very near future.

I spoke with my manager and right now we are running an ad in the newspaper for a Pilot EX 4WD of $29,795 plus tax, tags, and dest, and thats the best we can do on that vehicle. We appreciate you're offer but we cant do it, if you got that number elsewhere, go get it because its a great deal. Sorry if this inconveniences you in anyway. I'm here if you have any questions. Thanks again.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    "Only if they sell certain numbers of cars per month..."

Honda is not offering any factory to dealer bonuses on the 2009 Honda Pilot either at time of purchase or total volume.
    $29,795 = $823 over invoice. Doesn't sound like a great deal to me. (Not awful, but not great.) Depending on your area, how many dealers you have around you, how much time you are willing to spend on the effort, etc., I'd think you could get it +/- $300 from invoice.

Good luck!
  • sacramentojattsacramentojatt Member Posts: 3
    hi i m also looking for same model 2009 tourcing with nav i live in sacramento n i went to roseville honda ..?did u already bought the car or r u still in market let me know what kind of deal u got it. my email address is..indersac26@gmail.com...thanks maureenw
  • zorkonzorkon Member Posts: 22
    2009 Honda Pilot 2WD EX-L

$31,995 + $599.95 Dealer Fee + TTL = ~$34,778

Is this a good deal? Is it worth it to move up to a Touring?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    I hate this dealer fee $599.95. Just too much. No standard.
    So folks, this is the bottom line price, best I could get - $29,795 plus tax, tags & destination. A few other dealers have quoted $1K - 3K higher. I think I am going to wait a little while longer to see if I can deal again. So for now, my wife & newborn will keeps our 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara.
    backstage

check this link out

http://www.boch.com/bochhtml/bochhonda/pages/HondaSpecials.aspx

Promotion until Jul-31
    Buy For $27,988 OR Lease for $348
    2009 Honda Pilot-EX 4WD
    With MSRP of $32,630
    Save over $4,648 off MSRP!
    Stock#: 60008 (mocha), 60069(sterling grey), 60157(mocha), 61001(nimbus grey),
  • audifansaudifans Member Posts: 8
    Just got the basic ex-l no DVD or NAV pricing.
    Got the Quote for 26700 Socal Area (Orange County) Folks. What do yall think.
    :confuse:
  • chdchd Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone,

I was thinking about the 09 pilot. Liked MDX but thought price was too high and did not want a luxury SUV ( did not need it). That was until I got an offer for base MDX at 33,700 which is equivalent (somewhat- give or take a few things here and there) to 09 Pilot 4WD EX-L. Best price I got for 09 Pilot 4WD EXL was 34,800 (which is about what everyone is stating). I got the MDX instead. I hope this help with some people's decision.

Take care.
  • sacramentojattsacramentojatt Member Posts: 3
    HI EVERYONE I GOT HONDA PILOT YESTERDAY FROM ELK GROVE HONDA I PAID 36532.00 + SALE TAX 2835.49 + DOCUMENT FEES 55.00 +LIC,REGRATION 320.00 TOTAL AMOUNT 39742.75
    BUT I THINK THEY RIP ME OFF ON HONDA CARE I PAID 1935.00 DOLLAR EXTRA FOR 6 YEARS 10000.00 MILES EXTEDED WARRANTY....LET ME KNOW GUYS ..I THINK I PAID TOO MUCH FOR THAT..N W IF ANYBODY FROM SACRAMENTO NEED HELP OR QUE MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS INDERSAC26@GMAIL.COM
  • daman4daman4 Member Posts: 1
    Paid 25,480 2008 EX-L no dvd no nav 7/5/08 Cary, NC :shades:
  • wrobakwrobak Member Posts: 6
    After months of noodling, I finally bought a 2008 SE this weekend. Got for about $5,000 off invoice. No ups for junk from the dealer. I got internet quotes at $5,000 off from a couple dealers, then took the e-mails to my local dealer and made him go a little lower than he wanted. When I got home with the new car, I got an e-mail from another dealer I was speaking with that they will discount all 2009 models $1,700 to $2,300 below invoice until the end of the month. Makes me think maybe I should have gotten a '09. My sense is none of the Pilots are moving. I have only seen one 2009 on the road hear in LA. I don't know if folks saw the news last week that Honda is reducing production of the Pilots and Odysseys. Automotive News reported Honda has a 99-day supply of Pilots, about twice their target. These big cars are sitting on the lot. If dealers want to move these things, they have got to deal.
    Seems high to me. I bought a 2008 Pilot this weekend and was offered the 6-year insurance for $1,200. Finance guy told me list price was $24,000. When I said no, he asked what price might cause me to buy. I told him it would need to be really low so he didn't give me another price. Seems clear he would have gone below $1,200. I think you can cancel the insurance. My finance guy told me I could add the insurance any time until I hit 6,000 miles.
    Again, this is too high. I just spoke to my credit union and they can provide 7-year, 100,000-mile coverage for $585. If I accept a $50 deductible, the price drops to $405. I may do it at this price. The coverage is provided through Mercury Insurance. They are sending me the info. Suppose to cover same stuff as the Honda Care coverage.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    At that price it may just cover mechanical, which given you're buying a Honda is most likely not going to be an issue. What you want to look for is electrical component which is a major cost if a repair is needed. For example, if you're looking at the RES system, it cost almost $1700.00 to replace a broken RES system that fails after the 3yr/36000 mile coverage.

Just a thought. I would rather have a service contract written and backed by Honda for my Honda then a service contract written by some random insurance company that may or may not go belly-up while I still have contract.

Anyway, good luck and happy shopping.
  • xunjxaxunjxa Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Would you mind posting the name of the dealer you got the e-mail from (regarding the discounts on the 09s)... it sounds like a great deal! Thank you :-)
    Got the e-mail from Spreen Honda in Loma Linda. I only dealt with them via e-mail.
  • fred25fred25 Member Posts: 92
    One important note is that please remember the the 2009 is still new and dealer incentives are just not available at this time. I have visited several dealers in the New York and New jersey area and they have Pilots sitting on their lots. They are not discounting these vehicles to move them out quickly. The dealers are quick to respond that the 2009 are selling fast. Well if thats the case why have I not seen any on the road? Dealers are entitled to make a profit, but they have to be reasonable. At this time prices are still very high. If you can delay your purchase for several months, keep reporting on this forum your experience, this will send a powerful message to Honda and their dealers. With the economy in a state of flux, how long do you think dealers can hold out not moving 2009 pilots?
    What do you think - lets hear from you.

Fred
  • xunjxaxunjxa Member Posts: 2
    Thanks!
    I requested a quote for a 09 Touring with Nav, let's see what happens..
    In case they deny the offer, would you mind forwarding the e-mail to me, if
    you still have it? Thanks again and enjoy your 08, it's still an awesome car!!! :)
  • gaberahamgaberaham Member Posts: 5
    After some weeks of haggling, I bought a 2009 Pilot 4WD ex-l (sterling grey/black)with res for the invoice price of 33,300 (or thereabouts) here in Indianapolis. I had hoped to get it for about 500 below invoice, but while the dealer wouldn't move below invoice, they were anxious for my business, so he threw in the all season floor mats at no charge (MSRP of about $200) to even things out a little. I traded a 99 4 runner for the paltry sum of 3k so my final price before taxes and fees was about 30k, which ends up being about 6k off MSRP.

The dealer still made some profit on the vehicle and I think I got about the best deal I could get (and I talked with sev dealers). So, if anyone in Indy or the surrounding area is looking, I would contact my dealer (Indy Honda on the southside) and ask for Matt in internet sales. He was very upright, honest and willing to work with me throughout the process.
  • j_hoj_ho Member Posts: 4
    Which dealer is discounting the 2009 models $1,700 to $2,300 below invoice until the end of the month?
  • camatt1camatt1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm still shopping the internet & getting offers on this vehicle. The most recent
    I've had is from a Dealer in Chicago with an OUT THE DOOR PRICE of
    $22,860, yet I'm holding out for $22,000-$22,500. I see pricing on this base model
    from other Dealerships in my area of Ohio ranging from $23,500 to $24,750, also
    quoted as OUT THE DOOR. My questions are;
    1) What have any of you experienced on the basic model '08 VP (4WD) in ACTUAL
    VALID OUT THE DOOR NUMBERS? I personally feel legitimate CASH
    BUYER'S are few & far between & should warrant a significant discount?
    2) Any known or unusual mechanical problems, complaints or issues surrounding
    the '08 Pilot VP as I've heard that Honda has discontinued this VP model
    as of the new '09's?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
  • rasu57rasu57 Member Posts: 14
    One of my dealer is offering this price. I would like to know if it is reasonable quote and is it worth negotiating? How low I can go for? I have 2004 Murano planning to sell it separately in carmax or cardirect, if not planning to trade in.

I am looking for Honda Pilot EX-L with RES(dvd)
    4WD

This is the dealer quote
    For The 2009 Honda Pilot ; EXL

MSRP: $35,195 + $670 Destination

Your Price: $31,963 + $670 Destination, tax, MV fees & $199 documentation fee.

You may also want to consider the 2009 Honda Pilot ; EXL with dvd

MSRP: $36,795 + $670 Destination

Your Price: $ 33,409 + $670 Destination, tax, MV fees & $199 documentation fee.
    Thanks
  • ryan14ryan14 Member Posts: 15
    This is where I got :)
    I tried to buy extended warranty from myhondawarranty but they not available in Ca ????. Any ideal anyone?
    I think Honda's extended warranty, selling online much cheaper, are not allowed to sell to Honda owners in 3 states, and unfortunately CA is one of the 3.
  • maureenwmaureenw Member Posts: 7
    I am in northern CA. I went to Roseville Auto a few weeks ago. The price then was still msrp. Ummmmm ... no thank you. I am still waiting. I want the 2009 Touring Pilot w/RES. What I am hoping for is the price to drop to invoice AND 0% interest. I heard maybe there would be a special over Labor Day offering 0% interest to get sales moving on the Pilots. Anyone else heard of that?
    maureen
    The "Your Price" that they have quoted you for both models is $100 over invoice. So add the $199 documentation fee, and you are paying $299 over invoice + Destination, Taxes, and MV fees.

I assume "MV fees" are state required fees. I'd make sure they aren't adding anything unexpected into that.

Also, I'd make sure that there aren't any dealer installed options on the vehicle. In my experience dealers wouldn't tell me about those until I directly asked. Then they'd say that "Oh yeah, it's got X, Y, and Z installed and that adds another $2000 to the price."

Otherwise, $299 over invoice sounds like a pretty decent deal. Getting them all the way down to invoice will probably be difficult (although you never know an you may get lucky especially if you aren't in a hurry).
    I wouldn't stress about it. $1700 below invoice on a 2009 is significantly cheaper than anyone has been reporting here. With no incentives on the 2009's they would be selling them at a loss.

I'm skeptical that this offer is what they are saying. They probably didn't mention that there is something like a $3000 Protection Package that they've added to all of their vehicles that isn't included in the price.