Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lmartilmarti Member Posts: 16
    The dealership was Pohanka in Fredericksburg. Let me know if you want the name of the slesperson I worked with. He was terrific. Provided the best price on the Pilot, matched trade in qoute from another dealer and even located a CD I accidentally left in my old car and mailed it to me.

I live in the Richmond area but made the drive to Fredericksburg, However, they offer vehicle delivery. I just checked USAA and they are now offering a slightly lower rate - $27,068 on an EX w/ 4WD.

Good luck
  • nucargurlnucargurl Member Posts: 30
    Do you know if these prices include destination??
  • mbinmimbinmi Member Posts: 6
    My offer in Michigan:
    Touring NAV & RES $34,602
    Aftermarket remote $359
    Doc fee $180
    Tax (6%) $2,108.46
    Title $15
    Plate $8
    Out the door $37,272.46

They were not able to locate a silver Touring with Navi only. Being forced to get RES also.
  • cb35cb35 Member Posts: 27
    the price seems good provided you are quoting a 4WD model touring - I would be wary of the $180 doc fee - what is it for? Also, is the aftermarket remote the one honda advertises for remote start? I'm also interested in that feature.
    Yes, it is for a 4wd model touring navi with res.

The remote start is the one the dealer recommends and uses as their standard model, it is from Ultra Start (ultrastarters.com) and is the Ultra 1270. They wanted $810 for the Honda remote started, installed.

What is a reasonable figure to accept as a documentation fee?

I more than willing to pay what is normal and reasonable, I just don't want to get hosed. Within a couple of hundred of the lowest final price is fine with me, I just don't know what that figure is right now.
    Doc fee is really all profit for the dealer - granted they have to go down to the registry to get your paperwork together from the DMV but keep in mind yours is one of many in the pile their lowest paid employee takes care of this. well what is that worth? its highly negotiable is all I'm saying. I would push for it to be waived.

I'm not sure what the rules of this forum are in terms of directing people to certain dealers - but $800 for the honda remote is insane - bernadi honda a dealer in massachusetts will ship you the system for $250 and an extra remote for another $107. granted a honda dealer has to do the install - but $550 labor on a $250 remote start system isn't fair. I would say $100 - $150 max would cover the labor bringing the cost to $350/$400 tops - maybe others had it installed and can quote an exact price. They have the instructions on that site too - an extra remote appears very easy and shouldn't have much if any markup.

That all said - read the reviews for the honda remote - some don't like its safety features - so that may be a factor for you.
  • jtabohiojtabohio Member Posts: 1
    Just negotiated price of $32k for new 2009 Pilot EX-L w/ RES in Ohio. Price includes all but sales tax, plates/reg. fee ($25) and doc fee ($250). No trade-in. Also, Honda Finance has good rates (mid 4%) for 10% down and good credit, which they have not done a good job at publicizing. You see special financing of 3.9% on other models, but no mention on the Pilot. Most Banks are north of 7% for 60 month loan, although Chase was in the low 5%.

To negotiate the best price on the car, find more than one dealer that has your car in stock and let each of them know your are a serious and educated buyer and looking for the best overall deal.
  • carbcarb Member Posts: 14
    Still waiting for incentives to be better. Best price I got on a 2WD EXL is $28250. If it was $27k and below, I'd sign. When are new incentives scheduled to come out?
  • zojirushizojirushi Member Posts: 10
    I just got an email from one of the dealerships I've been working with and they mentioned they "just received some new, unadvertised incentives from American Honda". Anyone know what they might be referring to? I wouldn't think this is related to the $1500 dealer incentive and 2% holdback. Sounds like it could just be dealer tactics, but I'm following up to learn more. Will post back with anything of interest...
  • glennjrglennjr Member Posts: 37
    Keep me posted. I am looking to lease a pilot but the money factor is horrible right now. I have to think they are in trouble with trying to sell these things.
    Well the dealership never responded to my emails, so I was forced to call. Turns out my hunch was right - it was just a salesman fishing around. No "unadvertised incentives" that we're not already aware of ($1500 & 2% holdback)...

Oh well. Might just have to settle on $34K for a 4WD Touring (no RES) since supplies are dwindling out here and time is starting to run short.
  • newyearnewcarnewyearnewcar Member Posts: 24
    So we just got back from the local Honda Dealership (Washington PA), and we test drove both the Honda Pilot EX 4wd, and the Honda Odyssey EX. I personally like the Pilot, but my dad likes the Odyssey. Here's our pricing.

2009 Honda Odyssey EX

MSRP-$30,125
    Invoice-$27,525
    Price they are offering-$24,961

Tax (6%)-$1497.22
    Plate Fees-$201

=$26,659
    (Possible trade in 2000 Dodge Caravan) $2,475
    Total with Trade in for the Fair Condition/ Price for the Excellent Condition=$24,234/23,984
    Total with No Trade in =$26,659

2009 Honda Pilot EX 4wd.

MSRP-$32,765
    Invoice-$30,285
    Price they are offering-$28,347

Tax (6%)- $1702.44
    Plate Fees-$201
    =$30,250.44

(Possible Trade in 2000 Dodge Caravan)- about $2,475
    'Total Trade in for Fair Condition/ Price for Excellent Condition- $27,825/27,575
    Total with no trade in-$30,250

So my questions are

1) Do you think these are good deals, or can we do better? If they are, we are hoping to buy one of these next week.

2)Which do you think is the better deal and why?

3)Do you think that $ 2,625 is a fair price for a 2000 Dodge Caravan with about 78,000 miles in Excellent condition, or a $2,475 is a fair price for Fair condition? These are from Kelly Blue Book, not from the dealership, so they could be better. Do you think these prices are fair, or should we try to sell ourselves?

4) What do you think the 2000 Dodge Caravan is worth?

Thanks.

-Haha, today is my birthday too ;)
  • lufacalufaca Member Posts: 31
    The dealer will never give you the full value of your Van unless you give it away. My advice is for you to not include the van in the negotiations until you get the right price for the van on the SUV you want. This will be the only way you know for sure what they are offering for your trade in. I am not sure where you are but the prices may vary depending on which state you are in. In summary :
    1- Do no include your trade in until you get the bottom price of the vehicle
    2- Select the model and the options you must have before you show up to the showroom.
    3- Price a few dealerships around your area before you go to the dealership.
    4- Once you got a price you might like then research around this board you in fact are getting a good deal.
    I am so cal so I can provide you with info in my area.

Luis
  • kellysimkellysim Member Posts: 26
    $28,347 for an '09 Pilot EX 4WD is a terrible price.

In PA you can buy it for $27.1k or less. I paid less than that for mine.

With respect to which is a good deal - don't know much about the Odyssey but there are a lot of them sitting on dealer lots.

If you aren't in a hurry wait until the '10s come out. The '09 Pilots came out on May 22 of last year. The dealers say that the '10s won't be out until November but the dealers are liars. They are in the business of selling vehicles at overinflated prices based on how much they can extract from unwitting buyers. Aren't you outraged that a single mother who holds two jobs and has no experience in negotiation is forced to pay $2000 more than an affluent businessman who knows how to research and negotiate (for the same vehicle)? Of course it's outrageous, but this is their business - ripping off the less informed or financially capable. Now their business model doesn't work anymore (see GM and Chrysler's shutting down of thousands of dealerships). The stupid (young) Honda salesmen think that this means that somehow they are going to get more business. What they don't understand is that the consumer, in general, has too many cars, too much debt, and that the car business is going to just continue to weaken across the board. A model that requires ripping people off eventually must die - that's what we are seeing right now.

Would not surprise me if the Pilot '10s were out in July. It's worth the wait, since there will be a huge glut of Pilots out there, especially EX-Ls.

Good luck.
  • mcpher38mcpher38 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Virginia and found a 2009 4WD Touring with Navi for 32,915 (35,259.05 out the door). Looking at the boards, it appears to be a good price, but any input is appreciated.

Thanks
    I'm not sure the 2010s coming out is going to create a huge drop in price for the 09s - particularly for the trim packages that are in demand (touring it seems). Also, its widely known that auto manufacturers are cutting production across the board. It appears EX-L should have the biggest supply and therefore should have the most room to move on price. I'm hoping to land a touring model at a decent price - we shall see. I feel that Honda isn't going to panic and change their strategy - you won't see the customer cash deals that the Big 3 are stuck with.

reminder - those that are quoting invoice prices - there is a $1500 factory to dealer incentive going on through june 30th so subtract that from the invoice. Do your quotes include the $670 destination charge? I certainly wouldn't pay anything above invoice less $1500 + destination. I have a feeling dealers will be happy to sell the car and keep the holdback 2% + whatever monthly incentives they receive. I don't think in this market dealers can support these inflated documentation fees - know the DMV fees before you go you negotiate the price.

Also agree to keep the trade in seperate - used car values are difficult to pinpoint - check kbb.com, ebay.com, other classified ads for your car and try to guage the market rate - you won't get that but something near that is fair for both.
    Actually the only trade-in information worth anything is from Galves. kbb and edmunds are worthless.

The '09 EXLs will drop some more. When you say Honda won't provide any more dealer incentive, how exactly do you think these '09 EXLs are going to move out the door? By magic? The $1500 incentive isn't getting them anywhere on the EXLs. There is huge inventory on those.
  • carsalesman2carsalesman2 Member Posts: 22
    Just curious, have you ever lied when negotiating? The answer is yes. I find it funny that a $1200 difference makes the other persons price absolutely TERRIBLE. I understand your problem. You want cars to be one price for everyone. That way, the person who doesnt have time to do all the lying/research you do to get your price (which still makes the dealer plenty), will pay the same as you. Sounds great.
    You're funny. That is terrible advice. KBB and Edmunds are excellent sources for the consumer to research their trade in values.
    Example question:
    30,000 msrp
    27,000 invoice
    1,500 incentive
    600 holdback

What price in this example is a good deal?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    A year ago I traded in 07 Odyssey LX to get a 08 Pilot VP AWD. They are both the base trims so I can't tell you anything re loaded one.

The Ody is lower and longer. That makes the minivan more convenient (load/unload everything) and more space for passenger / cargo.

They both have 3.5L engine and the MPG isn't a big difference. I got the 4x4 Pilot so the AWD system will have 1 MPG less than the FWD. However the AWD is great for New England harsh winter.

The steering in the Pilot feels heavier (that make the driver feels this is heavier car) in low speed than the Odyssey, but quieter than the Ody in driving, softer over bumps/holes, better handling due Pilot is about 1 foot shorter than Ody.
    No, I don't lie when negotiating. Why would I?

I maintain that it is outrageous that car salesmen target single women and minorities for inflating their pricing. What is your justification for charging a single, woman with kids $2000 more than a well-heeled businessman? The funny thing is, you actually believe that this is the right way to do business. It's not.

Essentially car salesmen are the lowest form of salesperson on earth. Today, no self-respecting salesperson would ever get involved in selling cars. Besides the fact that there is no money in the business, only the lowest of low integrity people (i.e. they have no integrity) get into this business.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Salesmen aside, it's the Business Managers that are the target for your disdain. The salespeople are the first line...always low ball them until the real decision makers appear.

Then the fun begins! Had fun negotiating my '08 CR-V EX last November. I'm starting to like it since it will be a buyers market for a long time to come. Change the way you look at it and it is really fun particularly when you walk away and you get reams of e-mails with counter offers! Did this with the 5 H dealers in my area.

Regards,
    OW
  • bob1007bob1007 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking in the Annapolis Maryland area for a 09 pilot ex-l with Res and black side steps and trying to understand what is a good out the door price. HELP Please.
  • mcpher38mcpher38 Member Posts: 2
    I talked to a Honda dealer today and was informed that while Pilot Touring models are scarce, they are expecting Honda to send out another batch within the next 30 days. Is anyone else hearing this?
  • alycalyc Member Posts: 3
    in ny looking to lease 2009 pilot EX-L - 12,000 mi, 36 months, no out of pocket, what is the price i should be looking for? Looking to keep costs down - thoughts on 2WD vs. 4WD? EX vs. EX-L
  • sp2000sp2000 Member Posts: 19
    i got mine for 31695 plus Tax and plates. However this is without side step. I am in Long Island, NY. I did research for few months and i think i did ok. after reading over 60 pages of this forum i saw the best price for this model was only about 400$ lower than what i paid. I know in MD you can find a better deal. so just figure out what you can get it for. i think maybe you should aim for 32k with side steps. of course plus tax. just make sure you doc and destination fees are included in you final price before taxes and plates. i am assuming you want 4wd model. thats what i got.
  • smilingfacesmilingface Member Posts: 1
    I don't know why my original post was deleted. I hope Edmunds are not run/sponsored by dealers like Ohare Honda. Here it is again:

We were very disappointed when we found the treatment that we received at O’Hare Honda so incongruent with the values espoused by Honda brand. O’Hare Honda misrepresented the price at which they could offer us the car that we wished to purchase and, once we indicated that we would share such behavior with consumer watchdog organizations such as the Better Business Bureau and the online consumer forums available at Edmunds.com, general sales manager accused us of threatening him. This was not meant as a threat; the dealership was dishonest in their dealings with us and this behavior is a threat to the Honda brand and a menace to innocent consumers.

When we requested the quotation from the Internet Sales Manager, we specified that we wished to purchase a brand new 2009 4WD Honda Pilot EXL with black cherry exterior and black leather interior (no navigation, no RES). We further specified that we wanted an “out-the-door” price for the vehicle when we requested the quote. O’Hare Honda provided us with a quotation of $32,539.38 in email and asked us when we could come in to view the vehicle. The internet representative also stated that O’Hare could beat the $32,500 price offered by another local Honda dealership and that we should just come in.

When we came in to view the vehicle, the general sales manager told us that he was not able to offer us the price that the internet representative quoted us and that he could offer us a price around $34,000. In response to this, we forwarded the general sales manager the attached email correspondence to substantiate our claim that we were quote a significantly lower price. The general sales manager first attempted to tell us that this quote was not accurate because the price that we were offered was based on a 2WD automobile; this was in spite of the fact that the quote that we requested explicitly referenced a 4WD vehicle. He also told us that the price that O’Hare had to beat must have been based upon an “illegitimate quote,” thus attempting to maneuver to avoid the fact that we received a written quote from an O’Hare representative for the exact automobile we wished to purchase [three] days before and there was only one car on the lot matching this description (so there was no room for O’Hare to state that they based the quote upon a different automobile).

Eventually, the general sales manager stated that he would offer us the quoted $32,539.38 price out-the-door but he then tacked on approximately $700 for an extra car body protection package (surely to ensure that he would “recoup” any lost profit to which he felt he was entitled). First, if there was only one car matching the description of our desired automobile on the O’Hare lot, the quotation provided to us should have included any additional costs such as the car body protection package. Second, if the online representative was quoting us a price based upon the cars available on the O’Hare lot (which is clearly what one would expect him to do) and he did not include the cost of such additional package in his bottom line when quoting a price for the only car matching our purchase criteria on the lot, then the cost of this error should be borne by the dealership and not by an innocent consumer that relied on the internet manager to accurately quote the purchase price for a particular vehicle.
  • nucargurlnucargurl Member Posts: 30
    I've been emailing a Superior Honda in New Orleans for months now. I want a Touring 2WD no RES. He quoted me "$33,536 plus TTL". I drove 2 1/2 hours on Saturday to see the car. I spent a total of 5 minutes with him. He failed to tell me that the car was a demo & had 5,000 miles. I say no problem - I'm sure we can work a deal. He says that the Honda incentive isn't offered anymore and he can't go down on the car. It had chipped paint on both sides of the front bumper - down to the metal. I basically told him that that I knew that the incentives were still good. I was in and out of the door in less than 10 minutes. How do these guys make any sales??
  • nate25nate25 Member Posts: 11
    Example question:
    30,000 msrp
    27,000 invoice
    1,500 incentive
    600 holdback

If this example is in today's market then I would say 25,000 is a good starting place. I wouldn't pay a dime over 25,500. $600 holdback is plenty in today's market. But considering that we are coming up to the next years model I would wait for the incentives to change... especially if this were an EX-L. In that case I would imagine I could get the car in a couple months (when they raise the incentive) for $24,000.

I believe this is a fair price for the consumer and the dealer considering the current market situations. Especially with gas going up in the future.
    Amazing! While I did deal with several Honda dealers in Michigan, for the most part, I was happy with the way I was treated, especially by Brighton Honda.

I was not able to find a Silver AWD Touring without RES so I was forced into this one extra option, RES. The other vehicle I was looking at was the Acadia, which I really liked, especially with the head-up display. Unfortunately the way GMC dealers configure their cars, I would have had to purchase $3,000 worth of tires, RES and trailer hitches I didn't want in order to get the vehicle with navigation and head-up.

So far I love my Pilot. I switched from a 2005 MDX which was a very fine car.
    The price I was given by the "internet manager" was $34,602 plus $180 doc plus 6% sales tax and $23 title and plates. I was able to get an aftermarket remote start included as well as the cargo area floor mat. They did screw me on the trade-in but I expected that, funny what we think of as natural.

Overall, Darryl was great to deal with and had integrity. I drove extra miles to give him and them my business and would do the same again.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to hear from current car-shoppers by 5pm Pacific on May 18, 2009. Please send to jfallon@edmunds.com your daytime contact info and a few sentences about the impressions of the marketplace in relation to the dramatic news surrounding the auto industry.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The honda Pilot has been a 6000 off msrp vehicle this time of year for the last 4-5 years. In summer clerarance about $7000 off. Perhaps a bit more with the price increases.

If Honda has its production in gear and has managed the production of pilots/elements properly there will not be a huge need to dump stock and offer 10k off. (6000 off invoice). The imports are very flexible in their manufacturing, much more than the domestics. With a few more of 09 Pilots out there than they would like, and reduced '10s coming out, The scenery shouldn't change much. Ya never know, but don't hold your breath.

The Ridgeline has been about a $7000 off msrp vehicle since its intro in the May-July clearance timeframe. If the've got production down enough you may not even get this this year.

The average individual may have about $20,000 in depreciation, finance charges, gas, insurance etc into a vehicle like this the 1st 36 months of ownership, so killing yourself for months to get 500 in mats,oil changes isn't very fruitful. Shopping agressively for financing rates and insurance can easily save one $1000-3000 over 3-4 years.

Then of course there is the $3500 clunker trade in voucher they are mulling with in congress. What the terms of it will be when or if it materializes is not clear yet.

Cars.com can give one a fairly good idea sometimes of how many new models are sitting on dealer lots 100 or so miles from your home.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • crcmttcrcmtt Member Posts: 4
    MSRP is $36,192
    2WD, Dark Cherry Pearl
    Was thinking somewhere around $6500 off MSRP, but am new to all
    this incentive, holdback, invoice stuff. Is this too low or too high?

Thanks in advance!
    jfritsch,

I think you might have been confused with my last post. I was not talking about any specific vehicle... That responce what just an example of how to buy any car. I believe you should be able to buy a car at the dealer invoice price minus any dealer incentive. That's what I based my estimate on. The dealer gets to keep the 2% holdback... I think that is fair.

what does this mean? "so killing yourself for months to get 500 in mats,oil changes isn't very fruitful."

For the specific model 2009 Pilot EX-L, I believe that when the 2010s come out there will be a $3000 or similar incentive on it. So I'm waiting a couple months for $1500 off of what I can get the car today for... whatever that price may be. There are hundreds of EX-L's within 50 miles of where I live. And that is just sitting on the lots right now. There is no way they are going to sell all of those cars in 3 months! I can wait for much longer than that so a good deal is inevitable in my case. :shades:
  • erikancerikanc Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I'm new! I am thinking of getting the 2009 Honda Pilot Touring 2WD with RES. Similar to the posts about group/member pricing through USAA, I have a member price through Upromise for $33,615 (2300 below invoice). I think this includes destination charge. What do you all think of this? If we wait, can we get a lower price? Seems there is a shortage of tourings.

Also, what about the $400 doc fee in NC? This seems outrageous! But seems dealers won't budge. Sales tax is 3%, so this is not bad.

Any of your thoughts would be extremely helpful! Any recommendations of dealerships? This price is for Honda of Concord. I am willing to go just about anywher in NC/VA if the price is right.
    I'd be interested to hear more about Honda releasing more Tourings. However, I asked my dealer today if he'd heard anything along these lines and he said Honda has begun manufacturing the 2010's already and he wasn't aware of any cold storage of the Tourings. He could be wrong though (and I'd certainly be happy if some stock became available).
    I could be wrong.

My opinion on a good price for a Touring is invoice, including destination, minus $1,500 (the current incentive to dealer) minus 2% of MSRP (to cover the holdback). The dealer will then add title, sales tax and documentation fee to the deal. The title and tax aren't up for discussion. The documentation fee in Michigan is the maximum fee allowed by law the dealer can charge for paperwork. This is and should be negotiated. In Michigan they are limited to $180 as the max doc fee. Find out from the dealer what their legal max is and negotiate that down. They will make money on the doc fee as well as their monthly sales incentives as well as other rebates. I believe this is fair and the dealer will make a good profit from this.

As an example, the dealer told me their cost for the cargo mat was $101 and as a favor they would pass that price on to me. I see a Honda branded mat, so the same mat, offered to anyone on the web at $67. Now they may very well be charged $101 but they also will then get a rebate of their sales, I'm thinking that's 50% or so.

It is so hard to determine what their exact cost is. I believe the above prices are fair.
    Everywhere I've read say the dealers will not give up the holdback under any circumstances.

Not all states regulate the documentation fee - I would cut that out and let them have the holdback.
    Maybe someday you'll get your wish and you too will pay the price thats on the sticker. Otherwise, at this time, a dealer can't survive on the $100 profit on a $30k car that you want to let them make (if that).
    Today is the one week anniversary of buying my 2009 Pilot Touring with NAV and RES. The MSRP was 40,765 on Edmunds, the invoice 36,976. From the invoice I subtracted 1,500 (incentive) then 815 (holdback) and set 34,660.70 as my target price.

I then contacted the internet manager and asked for pricing. I did tell him I was checking with several dealers. His offer to me was 34,602 plus 180 doc fee plus TTL. I did visit the dealer, drove the car and let him know I was serious and ready to buy.

From there I was able to get the remote starter installed at no charge and the cargo mat thrown in. The remote starter was installed by a local installer and listed for $199.

I was very happy with the price I received. After coming to these terms I drove my trade-in vehicle for appraisal. This is where they made their money, or at least thought they were. The car was a 2001 Hyundai that was a disaster. There was no way I was going to sell this to a local and let them try to drive it home. With every bump it pulled all over the road. They looked at the car but did not drive it. The offer was $200, which I accepted. Within 30 minutes I was out the door and driving home. I did have to get the starter installed today which was a 5 hour wait. All in all I am very happy with my experience at Brighton Honda in Michigan.

I do think you can get a Touring AWD NAV RES at invoice minus 1,500 minus 2% of msrp. I also had an offer that was $30 less from another local dealer at the last minute. Two other dealers were $1,000 over this price, almost to the penny.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Price 09 EXL w/Res should be $30,800 (incl dest chg) + doc fee + TT&L... you can always add the running board of your choice (3 kinds) after the deal.
  • erikancerikanc Member Posts: 10
    I don't think cutting out the doc fee is negotiable. Got a quote for 33,376 for a touring 2wd w/res, but they didn't have any! Said they'd have to get from another dealership and may be charged for wheel locks or any additional equipment??

If we were to get one for this price, OTD price would be 34,850. (~1000 tax, 400 doc, 74 reg) Should we offer lower?
    You are silly. People get invoice-$1500-2% every day on '09 Pilots. The dealer is still making money on their monthly incentive. You are continuing to push inaccurate information. This is not a good business, but it is typical. The point that's being made here is that the existing business model for car sales doesn't work. An auction model, like ebay, is probably better. That's probably the future of car sales. Today's car salesmen are not making a living, and it's just going to get worse. The problem that the manufacturers have is in migrating to another model given their existing dealership agreements. Obviously someone also has to service these vehicles. They'll work it out though.
  • malashmalash Member Posts: 5
    I'm in Southeastern PA and received 8 quotes for 4WD EXL ranging from 30,900 to 32,250. The majority are 31,100 to 31,500. The 32,250 quote came from "PA's #1 Honda Dealer 2008" and they have 25 EXL's in stock. I had to call to make certain they didn't give me a quote for EXL w/RES. She told me that it was for an EXL and they would match a price quote in writing. This dealer has 1 Sterling Gray versus 8 Billet Silver and 10 DC Pearl. She told me there is not difference in price as long as they have it in stock. I spoke to a few other dealers and they seemed to not budge on the price. I'll wait a bit longer, but I see a handful of Sterling Gray out of 100 or so EXL's and I certainly do not want to have to select between a Billet Silver w/blue and Nimbus Gray with Brown.
    that sounds like a good deal. I'm hoping I can have similar results. Did you get the OEM factory remote? how do you like it? - I understand you cannot open the door and have the car running? I'm interested in the remote start but have read mixed reviews.
    I did not get the Honda remote starter. After reading how it operated it just didn't make sense to me and how I do things. The dealer has a local aftermarket installer they deal with and I decided to go with their model. It is nothing special, just starts the car and runs for 15 minutes. Seems to work o.k. but I only had it installed yesterday.

The dealer wanted $359 for this starter and $810 for the Honda. When I went to get it installed at the aftermarket shop I saw it advertised for $199.
    May I ask what profit margin your business works off of?

I think your general stereotype of a salesman is incorrect. In any business you have your shady people and this one is no exception. My experience is that most are honest and make a decent living doing what they like.

It will probably never happen, but unless it becomes a one price, no negotiating transaction there will forever be that battle between salesperson and customer.

I simply believe that buying a car at MSRP or anywhere under that is a good deal regardless of race, gender, profession and anything else you stated as "targets".
    Actually Mini Cooper does has a no negotiation transaction policy when I bought one 5 years ago. I hear they are they same way. I sent 30 letters to different dealers and they all came back with the MSRP and said that they cannot move on the price at all. The salespeople there do not work on commision.
  • glennjrglennjr Member Posts: 37
    Carsalesman2,

I do not blame car salesman one bit for trying to make as much as they can off of a sale. The salesman and consumer have the same object in mind. One to make it one to save it. If as a consumer you do not try to save as much as you can on such a large purchase then that is your fault. I respect you and your profession as i know it is not an easy one.