Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• motichormotichor Member Posts: 32
    Can you tell me what all things did the dealer installed on your car?
    Today I just brought a 2009 Honda Pilot AWD EX-L with RES for 32200$
    The dealer has put some sealant coatings on the outside and inside to the leather and also the wheel locks and cargo mat and tint and pin stripes.
    How did I do?

Also, I just noticed while going thru the Pre-Inspection list that this Car was on the lot for 6 months (Pre-Delivery Inspection completed on 23rd Oct 2008). Is there anything I should be worried abt? It had only 49 miles on the Odometer when I brought it home.
  • exwsoexwso Member Posts: 1
    New to this--was told by a internet sales manager that these forums and edmunds are misleading--fake post by toyota dealers, prices posted are demo's, etc and all it will do is cause me to have a bad buying experience....

Anyways, does anyone in the DFW area (north side towards Denton) have quotes from dealers on the above (msrp of 35,965 or 35,865)--all I have been able to get is invoice minus 500 for around 32,300. From what I have been following in this forum it seems 2,000 too high. Am I missing something here???? HELP needed....
  • shileishilei Member Posts: 11
    Which dealer and an what is there phone number? I am in South Florida but I will go anywhere to get a good price.
  • aln1aln1 Member Posts: 23
    Hmm... maybe it is the other way around in that the Internet Sales Mgr is trying to sell you at a higher price.

AN
    In DFW area, I got my Car from Honda Cars of Mckinney yesterday.
    I paid 32200 + TTL (could have negotiated further, but it was late in night and wanted to get home) for a 2009 EX-L with RES (4WD). I wanted to claim the Section 179 for Business purposes and hence was keen on the 4WD and only this dealer had it.
    Email me at xtraintel@yahoo.com and I will give you the salesman details etc.
    In my estimate, you should be able to get this car for no more than 30200 + TTL for 2WD.2009 EX-L + RES and may be 29000 for one without DVD.

Most important things I learnt and this may help you.
    1. Go in the morning or during the day. In the night, its more hectic for you and you just want to get the deal done.
    2. Check how long the car has been on the lot. If it is over 3 months, he will have to give a bigger discount.
    3. Don't budge from your price above. You should be able to get that. If not, tell him that you will come back later as you are not in a hurry.
    4. EX-Ls are plenty at each dealer and they have the 2010s in stock so they would want to sell these asap.
  • eka1eka1 Member Posts: 41
    I wasn't talking about the DFW area,(plus who cares about that area),I'm talking about the tri state area there are no more Pilot left
  • akplnjpeakplnjpe Member Posts: 6
    I am looking for a good deal on 09 EX AWD in NJ. Any Idea of what is a fair price to pay? Any NJ dealer recommendations?
  • sp2000sp2000 Member Posts: 19
    try paramus honda internet dep.
    Any why do u think I will care abt your Tri-State area?
    I am stating my figures here on actual facts and not just generic tri-state area or whatever.
    I have no idea what is your problem ... chill man.
  • eka1eka1 Member Posts: 41
    First of all your are stating that Honda is going to offer $3000 incentives to move the remaining 2009 Pilot...I'm just wondering where are you geeting this information? Then when September or October roll around I want you to come back to this forum and tell everybody that you were wrong....Chillllll Man
  • py09py09 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 4WD EXL at 30,000 (without DVD) plus TTL by using your price as reference. I hope it is a good deal. Anyway I also had a good experience with the dealer Reza at Larry Hopkins Honda, Sunnyvale California.
  • franklwfranklw Member Posts: 46
    I am not sure if $3000 or $4000 incentives will be for 09 or 10 but the ways gas price has been moving up, it's not entirely impossible. It could be different amounts different regions as I remember Toyota last year offered $5000 incentive for its Highlander in the South/North East vs. $2000 on the West coast. Happy car shopping everyone.
  • indigo123indigo123 Member Posts: 3
    Paid 30250+ 298 doc fee out the door. I am in NH so no taxes, paid registration extra in NH. Great deal!. Cherry with Black interior.
  • blkpilotblkpilot Member Posts: 2
    I wouldn't trust what the Internet Manager told you. Thousands if not more use sites such as this to educate themselves so they don't get ripped off. You should print off some of the postings and say "here, is what other people got it for, I want you to meet this price". If not, walk away. I would probably trust what other Pilot owners posted more than I would trust the lines many sales reps dish out.
  • travelguytravelguy Member Posts: 12
    Just picked up my New Honda Pilot 4 WD Touring with DVD in Chicago area for $33,500 plus TTL.
    Great deal - great car.
  • gsidgsid Member Posts: 7
    Hi ,
    Can someone share recent buying experience in Seattle area. I am looking for 09 AWD EXL with no RES. Min quote in this area I am getting is 30,400 +TTL.
    I am thinking given new 2010 models that are arriving soon and gas prices going up, I should wait for a good deal. Any advice? Shall I broaden my search to Oregon, California ? :confuse:
  • chi7chi7 Member Posts: 1
    Care to share the dealer's info?
  • seatlsteveseatlsteve Member Posts: 5
    That looks to be a pretty good quote. For a 2009 4x4 EXL (No Res) Cars Direct is quoting $31628. I am looking at 09 EXL w/Res They are showing $33074. What dealer did you talk to? My last time out in Dec '06 Capitol Honda in Olympia gave me the best deal on my Pilot lease. Good luck...My current lease runs out at the end of the month.
    It was Discovery Honda in Moses Lake,WA.
    Selling Price 30,595.00
    Cargo Tray 65.00
    WA Sales Tax (8.2%) 2,514.12
    License/ Title 86.25
    Document Fee 50.00
    Total $33,310.37 Out-the-Door

I have gotten similar price from a dealer in Seattle as well. I have to look up the dealer name as it is in my e-mail somewhere. I will still wait for price to come down further or further incentives to kick in. They should as 2010 are coming in and dealers would try to clean their lot of 09s.
  • metalprofmetalprof Member Posts: 7
    Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up a 2WD EXL with no res in the Kentucky area. My first quote was at 31,700, which seems absurdly high, since I've heard others talking about getting a 4WD for 30,000. I've looked over inventories, and it looks like all the EXLs in this area are AWD (not sure why -- it doesn't even snow here). All of the 2WDs I'm interested in are in FL or TX. What would be a reasonable price to shoot for, and how much might be reasonable to expect that the dealers will jack up the price in order to ship what I want in from a different part of the country? I'm looking to buy in the next month or so.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks much -- J
  • shreeankitshreeankit Member Posts: 7
    Guys,

we went to one of honda dealer in SC today to buy two pilot 2wd EX 2009 (one for me and one for my friend) and finally we got only one for my friend (they didn't have the color that i wanted). So my friend got Silver 2wd EX at $26,700 out of door south carolina. What's your opinion about price ? Personally, i don't like leather because it become quite hot during this season. however, dealer offered me Honda
    Pilot 2wd EX-L 2009 (no dvd) out of door (south carolina) price at $29000. What is your opinion ?

Thanks
  • erikancerikanc Member Posts: 10
    After a month of combing this forum and hundreds of phone calls to dealers, we got our Pilot today! Our OTD price was 34,800. We did find it easier to negotiate using otd prices only. Here is the breakdown:

Nimbus gray/beige interior
    33,315 - actual price
    1011 - NC 3% tax
    74 - licence and titile
    399 - doc fee (ouch, standard in nc)

Many thanks to all of you who have unknowingly helped us make sense of this crazy process! There are still tourings out there! Don't give up, and don't believe these dealers who say "We've got the only one in 3 states." Good luck to you all.
  • scott_red_wingscott_red_wing Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 09 Honda pilot from the local dealer for 31300 +tax + 180 doc fee +23 plate = 33381 OTD.

EXL with RES DVD
    White with darke gray/blue int.

180 doc
    23 plat xfer
    1878 MI tax (6%)

I used this site a lot to negocite with few dealers, and this one was the best I got for the color I wanted. No dealer had white one for a while, and this one is 40 miles a way and they were nice to work with them. :)
    Could I trouble you to break down the offer that you got on either the EX or (preferably) the EXL. I'd like to use your offer with my dealer. It sounds like you got a good deal. Thanks.
  • Hoop1234Hoop1234 Member Posts: 18
    without RES...15 to 1800 less as of mid June. The 09's value is sinking fast...as is the 2010's value.
    hi,

In SC tax is some % (I don't remember) or flat $300 which ever is lower. so in this case tax is $300.00 and another $400 for title and registration. so you can consider $26000 (Including dealer handling fee) + 400 (Title and Registration) + 300 (tax) = $26700.

Thanks
  • speechladyspeechlady Member Posts: 2
    Are you saying that there are dealerships in the MD/DC area with Tourings w/o RES in stock? That's what I am looking for but I cannot find it? I live in NJ and am willing to drive down to DC to pick up a vehicle?
  • shileishilei Member Posts: 11
    Could you give me the name and as much contact info. as you can for the dealership?
  • erikancerikanc Member Posts: 10
    There are some in NC, if you are willing to do that. Look at Flow Honda's inventory. (Are you an slp? I am too...) Let me know if I can help you, b/c we just got ours Thursday.
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help.
    Hi,

I don't have phone number handy but go to "Vic Bailey Honda, Spartanburg" website by searching google. I know, they still have couple EX left.

Thanks
  • rayzamrayzam Member Posts: 11
    Hi guys,
    I am looking for an 09 2WD EX-L in southern California, and my target prices for the models with and without RES are 28k and 29.5k. I already have offers within $1000 of my target, but I am still negotiating. Should I continue pressing for my targets, and are my target prices really that good?

On a side note, you guys are lucky with those ridiculously low sales taxes! Take 9.5% here in LA - that is almost $3000 in taxes alone for us...

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks!
    Friends,

My friend just got silver honda pilot EX 2wd at $26,700 (Out of door SC). I wanted Nimbus/Sterling Grey but i could not find in SC,NC,GA,TN. so today, i went for EX 4WD instead of 2WD and i got Honda Pilot EX 4wd at $27650 (out of door SC). Some dealer have EXL in grey color but i didn't want leather. Hope, this may help my friends here to negotiate. I got it from Lake Norman Honda of North carolina. I visited two dealers in SC, two in NC and what i noticed is that most of dealer have EX-L with RES in stock, so if someone can wait for three/four months (around Nov/Dec2009), who really wants EX-L, will probably have about 1500 more discount compared to right now. Hope this will help.

Thanks
  • kellysimkellysim Member Posts: 26
    Pohanka Honda in the Washington, D.C. area is offering 2010 Pilots at $300 under invoice through USAA.

This means that you should also be able to obtain these vehicles for about $300 under.

I think this is more of an indication that the 2009 EXLs will require a $4,000-$6,000 incentive by the end of the year (if the dealers want to have any chance of moving them).

Good luck.
    Best offer so far I have in Northern CA is for 09 EXL 4WD with RES.
    30600+ TTL + Doc fees.
    Given this quote I think you should lower your target by atleast $500 as there is about 1400-1600 diff between 2wd and 4wd.
    Target dealers who are very closely situated to one other - they seem to be competitive enough. Negotiating towarsd the end of the month can yield better results.
    Good luck.
  • rayzamrayzam Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your help and advice. Waiting towards the end of month is actually better for us too, since we are moving and don't have space to keep this beast for a few weeks. I was just a bit worried that with 2010 models coming out, the inventory for 09 models may be running low and we'd better seal the deal ASAP. Thanks anyway.
  • yuliya1yuliya1 Member Posts: 4
    I just got a call from a local dealer in MI who said that dealer cash has been increased to $2500. Is that true? Anyone else heard about it? Edmunds.com still has only $1500 posted.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    It doesn't matter wheter you can find 2,500 in Edmunds because your local dealer has to give you $2,500 off instead $1,500. Remember the dealer has certain programs with Honda that are not published thus consumer is not aware of.
  • inthistogetherinthistogether Member Posts: 9
    The incentive is $1500, the Holdback is around $750. $2250 should be the target off invoice. This is good through 7/6 as per Consumer Reports.
  • winterminute99winterminute99 Member Posts: 3
    Can someone help me make some sense out of these numbers? For reference,
    I'm looking at a 2009 EX-L 4WD (no RES) in Seattle area.

Edmunds claims invoice is: $31,969
    TrueCar.com claims factory invoice is: $33,031
    TrueCar.com claims dealer cost is: $30,472
    Dealer claims cost is: $32,738

The dealer has already offer the $1500 marketing support on top of the quote, but I'd like some evidence that his actual cost is much lower so I can bargin, but I don't know which number is the real dealer cost.

The closest I came to making sense of it is:
    (Edmunds Invoice price) - (Marketing support) = (TrueCar's actual dealer cost)

Can someone help me break down Edmunds vs TrueCar DealerCost vs TrueCar FactoryInvoice?

On top of this, i don't see how anyone is getting this car for less than $30,469 as all numbers above point to the dealer losing money on the sale below that price. Dealers like having the math proven to them, so if I should be using a different number please let me know.

Thanks!
  • cb35cb35 Member Posts: 27
    the invoice price is $31,969 + $670 destination charge = $32,639

holdback is 2% of MSRP (excluding destination) the base MSRP is $35296. Holdback increases to 3% if the vehicle has been on the dealer lot over 90 days.

2% = $705.92
    3% = $1058.88

You have the factory to dealer incentive at $1500

You *may* be able to get lower than these - depending on what you believe on these boards and real unpublished dealer quota incentives - best bet - wait to the last week of the month - have multiple dealers bid for your business - this will always net the lowest price in your area.
  • winterminute99winterminute99 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks cb35, so I'll set these are my target price. I can definitely wait until the end of the month, I just initiated contact with the idea that I'd draw it out until the end of the month if needed to get the best price.

For those quickly skimming posts, I'll do the math and summerize for the forum:
    The rock bottom dealer cost (with $0.00 profit for the dealer) for a 2009 EX-L (no RES) is:

$30,433 (on lot 90 days or less)
    $30,081 (on lot 90 days or more)

For what it's worth, ConsumerReports says to add 2%-4% (to the above number) for dealer profit as a fair price for all parties. Not sure how the boards feel about that.
  • inthistogetherinthistogether Member Posts: 9
    Winter,
    I've been offered $30,500 on 2009 Pilot 4WD EX-L w/ no RES by many dealers in Philly/Jersey/MD. Wait til month end/July 4th sales and get the vehicle around $29,500 or less. It also seems the incentives will update for the better (or worse) around 7/7/09.

Remember that in Year 2 (which is now for the 2009 model) Kelley Blue Book drops the resale value to 56% of the MSRP. The above vehicle has resale value of $19,775 as soon as it leaves the lot. This is most likely assuming 12,000 miles/yr, but still drops considerably.
    Good Luck.
    There is really no rock bottom...

Other dealer profit area:
    Dealer admin fee, dealers in some states charge as high as 600 to 700 dollars.
    Other Honda incentive program for dealers that we don't know, such as dealers meet sales target/quota, which is sliding scale cash back. I think urban large dealerships have the advantage on this as they will sell more cars. It is like chain supermarkets always have lower food cost than the neighborhood stores.

Whether dealer is willing to dig into that is based on degree of urgency.
  • fairchild2fairchild2 Member Posts: 1
    What do you think of $33,000 (not including TTL) for a 09 AWD Touring with navi and res, plus cargo mats, running boards, towing packing and vent shades with 12,000 miles??? Price includes 100,000 mile warranty.

We were originally looking at EX-Ls, but found this in our hard-to-find color choice (mocha).

Would love some opinions on if this is a good deal.....
  • acadia2009acadia2009 Member Posts: 6
    I'd like to purchase a 2010 FWD Touring with Nav and Res this week in the Chicago area.

Edmunds TMV shows $40,619 on an MSRP of $40,955, but it does not show the Invoice Price (it says N/A). Does anyone know the Invoice Price on this vehicle? Another post mentioned a recent offer on the 2010's in Washington DC for USAA members of $300 under invoice, so I'd like to know the true invoice.

What would be a good deal, knowing that dealers aren't ready to "deal" this early for the '10's?
    The invoice is not available on 2WD Touring w/ RES+NAV.

I will guess the invoice for $40,995 is around $37,495 based on the 2 of 2010 pricing below...

4dr Front-wheel Drive Touring w/Navi $37,045 $33,550 (diff 3,495)
    4dr 4x4 Touring w/Navi $38,645 $34,996 (diff 3,649)
    * Destination Charge: $710
  • travelguytravelguy Member Posts: 12
    Honda of lisle.
    They had 3 more in stock as of last week.
    Go thru the Internet and request a quote from the delaership.
  • honda2009honda2009 Member Posts: 30
    Hey all,

thanks for all the great info. here. We are looking for a Honda 2009 Ex-L w/ Bluetooth and RES. We are open to picking this up in several states as we'll be driving from GA to MI soon. Any idea where is the best place to target? Also, what would be a great price for this?

Thanks!
  • arm9farm9f Member Posts: 4
    We're seriously considering this offer but would like any thoughts on whether this is a good deal for a 2009 EX-L w/RES 4WD with less than 20miles on it. Thoughts?
    Base price: $30,095
    Destination: $670
    Processing: $100
    Taxes/Tags/Registration (Virginia): $1083
    Dealer Appearance (cargo tray, wheel locks, door and frame protection strips, one other item I can't remember):$395
    OTD: $32,343