Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• le3s9hsle3s9hs Member Posts: 3
    Begining of this month, both of two biggest dealers in DFW Metroplex have inventory of 2009 Honda Pilot EXL more than 50 for each. Suddently, now they have only 3 for each.
    Is it weird !!! either they have discount of $10000 or all of 2009 Pilots gone to rental car companies.
  • le3s9hsle3s9hs Member Posts: 3
    Recently, are there any one who got lucky to buy any deep down price of 2009 EXL Pilot in DFW area, Texas?
    Especially from 2 dealers: Honda Cars of McKinney or David McDavid Honda in Frisco.
    All of their 2009's gone. They had the largest inventory of 2009 EXL in the metroplex.
  • prreed10prreed10 Member Posts: 1
    Our local dealer quoted us $29,600 for an '09 EXL w/o RES or DVD on their lot or add $500 for a color we want to be brought in from another dealer. Good deal?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    If $29,600 includes destination charge and AWD, it is OK figure. However negotiate to $300 for handling re swap from other dealer.
  • arrowhead98arrowhead98 Member Posts: 7
    I got my 09 pilot ex-l 2wd with lojack and aftermarket bluetooth for 32,100 out the door.

car price w/DS/lojack/bluetooth: 29000
    tax at 9.25 and plus 418 registration

That was the best deal i got offered from 6 diff dealers in Los angeles.
  • eka1eka1 Member Posts: 41
    you believe in everything you read on the internet?
  • chrissbuchrissbu Member Posts: 7
    Hi, guys...

I just got an offer for $28,295 + ttl for a 2010 Pilot EX AWD. My wife and I are arguing over getting an EX or EX-L (she doesn't like leather, but I'd like the sunroof and backup camera, especially on something this big), and I was thinking of seeing if I could get the 2009 EX-L down to the same price...

My question is about the TCO that Edmunds calculates. They're listing the 2010 EX as having a higher TCO than the 2009 EX-L, but the 2009 EX has a lower TCO than the EX-L (and the 2010 EX). Any ideas of why the TCO for a 2010 EX would be higher than a 2009? Is it the way that they've factored in depreciation? Which way would you go?

Chris
  • zebraheadzebrahead Member Posts: 7
    After lots of help from this forum I purchased last week a sterling grey Pilot EX-L 2wd w/o res or DVD.

Shopped all Atlanta dealers by OTD price since the doc fees can vary greatly and one dealers low price before doc fees and TTL can become quite high after fees.

Inventory was getting very low on 09's and only 2 dealers out of about 12 had the sterling grey that I wanted in a EX-L.

Only accessory I wanted was the cargo liner (not tray) which my dealer had never even heard of. Ended up paying $50 more for this which is included in the below price.

OTD price = $31049.80
    Sale price w/ destination = $28673.45
    Dealer doc fee = $599.00
    6% tax = 1756.35
    Registration = $21.00

I came in with a capitol one finance check at 4.3% for 60 mos and the dealer beat that at 3.99 for 60 months.
  • pilot20pilot20 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am in Toronto Canada and made a deal for a 2009 Honda Pilot in Rochester area but this delership told me that Honda-US has told all US delership not to sell to Canadian customers.(so I was not able to buy the Pilot)

Does anybody know a US Honda dealership which will sell to Canadian customers.

Thanks
    Helpful info
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/index.htm

If you change the mind to TOYOTA ... here is a dealer very much like to sell to Canadians. Toyota will honor warranty on US imported into Canada.

http://www.carswithoutborders.com/http:/www.carswithoutborders.com/forum/us-deal- - - ers/

This is link related to Honda/Acura... Honda will NOT honor warranty on US imported into Canada.

http://www.carswithoutborders.com/http:/www.carswithoutborders.com/forum/auto-ma- - - nufacturers/honda-acura/

Jun 01 2009
    CDN 1.0875 U.S. today!
    Today the Canadian Dollar hit 1.0875 U.S. It appears we are heading towards parity again.
    pilot20

Did you browse "Import US car into Canada" in this forum? When you are in that forum, then search "Honda", "Pilot", "Honda Dealer" or "Honda Pilot"
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef18c13/4456

This one can help you re which dealer will sell to Canadian.
    Send an e-mail at info@carswithoutborders.com with your name, a phone number were you can be reached and a detailed description of what you are looking for.

There is an Import service may also help you
    hacheyimports [at] eastlink [dot] ca
  • honda2009honda2009 Member Posts: 30
    I'm actually looking for an 09 EX-L 4wd w/RES.

Local dealer doesn't have this in stock and offered me a 09 Touring demo with 6,700 mi. for $32K.

Good price? He said they can't lease it b/c of miles. Thoughts?
    They can lease you as 3 yr/45000 mi instead of 3 yr./36000 mi + 6,700 mi, and refund or credit you the the amount difference betweeen the 2. You have the extra 9,000 mi to offset the driven 6,700 during the demo period.

32k is OK price as new one is around 33k, the took off 1k for the 6,700 mi, that is 0.15/mi.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Yes, I believe everything I read on line. But only for 2 minutes then I hit the delete key behind my left ear and move on.
  • carbcarb Member Posts: 14
    I got a quote for a 2010 EXL 2WD without RES for $30243 + TTL + doc fees. Is that a good price? I initially wanted a 2009 version but the best price i got so far is $28500 + TTL + fees. Seems the 2010 is a better deal. What do u guys think?
  • nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    First year 2009 EXL Pilot depreciation appears to be around $3,999 (see link below). If you add that to the $28,500 you are well over your current 2010 offer, so I'd say the 2010 deal is probably better given there isn't much difference between the 2009s and 2010s. Of course, the 2009 doesn't really have one year of depreciation since it's still "new", so it's not really that simple. If you plan to hang on to it for a long time, I'd say go with the 2009 and save yourself some money now. If you don't plan to keep it very long, you'd probably be better off with the 2010 since you will get more for it later. Just my opinion.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/cost-of-ownership/99-int/2009/honda/pilot/ex-l-- sport-utility/676/index.html
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If you keep your pilot until the wheels fall off, the 09 is the better deal. $1700 worth of free gas. If you look to trade or sell your car in 4-5 years than the 2010 is probably the best course of action. You may be restricted to limited color choices on the 09's but the 2010's should offer every choice available. That may be worth 1700 or not. Ask for free maintenance for 2-3 years on the 10 -- available in the st. louis area- and you narrow the price gap. Either way, that $1700 shouldn't mean the difference between life and death financed over the next 5 years.
  • erikancerikanc Member Posts: 10
    I would go for the touring. It has SO many more features than the EX-L, most of which I didn't realize until I started reading the manual. For comparison's sake, we got our 2009 2wd with res for about 33,300. Just my 2 cents!
  • ang2482001ang2482001 Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a 09 HondaPilot EX-L with RES 4Wd on friday 26th ....in Virginia...the total cost of the car OTD was $33,488...
    The breakup is as follows...:
    Cost of the car : $29,969.00
    Freight : $670.00
    Dealer processing fee : $399.00
    VA Sales Tax (3.25%) : $966.67
    VA Tags : $63.75
    LO-Jack : 550.00
    Extended Service Warranty : $1149.00 for 6 yrs 120,000 miles.

We bought the car at Hendricks Honda, Virginia... They were nice people to deal with....
    Got a couple of freebies too...like the appearance package and all season mats...
    I hope this information will be helpful for you guys .Let me know if you have any questions....
  • cb35cb35 Member Posts: 27
    I would look into getting the warranty online from another honda dealer - bernardi has 6 years 120K for $965
  • marutimaruti Member Posts: 9
    Here's a quote that I have got from a dealer -

2010 Honda Pilot Touring 2WD NAVI DVD

$36,331.37
    $666.75 license and $55 document fee
    $3001.88 TAX

$40,000 OTD

The tax is for LA county (that's what I presume as I told the dealer I live in LA county). Please let me know if this a good price or how much further negotiations should be done?

Any prompt response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • carsalesman2carsalesman2 Member Posts: 22
    You paid over $2000 for tint and Paint Protection? LMAO!
  • pangaroopangaroo Member Posts: 8
    Sorry I am late, I have been out of town, but here was the e-mail. You should go [non-permissible content removed] at Jerry and see if he can give some freebies.

The price was 28,500 for the one w/0 bluetooth and 300 more for the one with it. The email below is talking about the Black one that did not have the Bluetooth. Over the phone he said 28,800 for the one with it.

Regardless, 29k is still not bad pricing. Especially if you got a color you wanted. Had I not found the little BMW at what I thought was an amazing price, I was planning on going back to buy that Sterling Grey w/ bluetooth and lojack. I figure $500 buck for a color you will be happy with is well worth it, and $500 bux for the lo-jack and bluetooth isnt bad either. Add that to the lowest price I have found in LA area of 28,000, $29,000 is very competitive.

Best of luck.

"Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:31:21 -0700
    To: xxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
    Subject: Customer Number[3138271001] Re: Price Quote from Jerry Ng at Diamond Honda

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the opportunity. You've gotten so awesome prices!!! I had to go to my General Manager for this one.

This is what we will do $28,500 w/ lojack for the black one w/ gray leather.

If you want the sterling gray....it will be more because of the bluetooth.

Let me know if that will work???

Jerry Ng
    Internet / Fleet Manager"
  • emilyk3emilyk3 Member Posts: 2
    Can you typically get the dealerships to go lower than the pricing they offer through their internet sales dept?

I have 3 quotes for $31K for the EX-L (in the Seattle metro...doesn't include tax, license or dealer options)...per conversations here, it seems I should be able to get much lower, but I am a squeamish negotiator, particularly since the quote is already below invoice. I don't want to overpay, but also want to be fair as they should make some profit.

Any advice? Thnx!
  • imzeppyimzeppy Member Posts: 7
    I have been told by a dealer that there are incentives for 2009 Pilots that expire on July 6th. I currently have a quote from 2 dealers for a 2009 4WD EX-L w/RES at $32.6K + TTL + doc fees. Debating on moving to 2010 but hoping I can get a better deal on the 2009. Seems to me that I should be able to get a better price. Your thoughts?
  • arrowhead98arrowhead98 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for replying back to me. Congrats on the BMW! My dream car is a 335, hope to get one of those later.

I am talking to Jerry now and see if he can work something out. Thou I am sure he won't be able to do anything. But like you said, it's still a good deal. I am just disappointed that he can even match his own deal.

Thanks again for replying and enjoy your new ride.
  • ednemednem Member Posts: 7
    2009 4WD EXL RES are going for 30500 + tax + tags and processing fees in VA.
  • nick05nick05 Member Posts: 3
    Where in Virginia?

I'm in SW Pennsylvania and I'm looking for a Black or White 2009 EX-L "4WD" with RES. If I can get one below $30K with around 3% APR or less financing on a 60-month loan and no fees other than TT&L, I'll buy tomorrow.
  • ednemednem Member Posts: 7
    contact the internet sales department.
    this is for 2009 honda pilot 4WD +RES (30500+tax+tag+processing fee)
    14201 jefferson davies highway
    hendrick honda woodbridge va
    good luck
  • curtecurte Member Posts: 4
    I think I'm going to take this...what do you think?
    2010 Pilot Touring 2WD with RES and NAV
    Price with premium running boards with lights and cross bars installed = $36,398
    Tax, tag and dealer fees $624 for a total of $37,022 OTD
    Hey folks - just wanted to know what price you think would be reasonable on a 4WD Touring w/ DVD with 5500 miles on it? The initial quote from the dealer is $35,476 including destination. MSRP is $40,765. Obviously the intial quote is too high, but I'm not sure how low to go and still be reasonable. I'm thinking $31,500 incl destination for a demo seems ok assuming it's in great condition, but not sure if that's in the ball park. Any thoughts?
  • marutimaruti Member Posts: 9
    This is a great price including the accessories. I have got quotes around the same price without the accessories in SoCal.

You tax is also pretty low. California tax is a killer now!!

In my opinion, you should go for this deal.

Enjoy!!
  • curtecurte Member Posts: 4
    Yep. I'm headed to the dealership tonight to see if it is true? So far only talked to them on the phone and via email?

Yes - SC sales tax is capped at $300; however, we do get hit each year on the autos with property taxes.

Thanks and good luck!
  • rayzamrayzam Member Posts: 11
    So does anyone know if there are new dealer incentives for 09 Pilots in this month of July?
    I was just told by a dealer here that they lost the extra $1000 volume incentive that was active in June. I believe the only thing going right now is the $1500 one. I'm going to meet with him tomorrow afternoon, so maybe I'll find out more then.
  • imzeppyimzeppy Member Posts: 7
    the only incentive I know about at the moment is $1500 which is set to expire July 6th. Not sure what, if anything, will be in place after that. That is in addition to any dealer holdback.
  • 43434343 Member Posts: 8
    I need some help on which way to go, an '09 or '10 Pilot EX-L. Here are the deals on the table out of Jay Wolfe Honda in KC.

'09 EX-L 4WD with RES, $33,583 OTD, TMV pricing $34,330, INV $34,085
    '10 EX-L 4WD no RES, $33,313 OTD, TMV pricing $ 35,578, INV $32,814

I really don't need the RES. I usually keep my vehicles about 7-8 years so I don't think it would make much of a difference on resale by then. Both deals look good against the TMV but not so good against some of the deals I've seen discussed here, especially from Hendrick Honda in VA. I think I also read here recently that to make an '09 deal stack up against a '10, I'd really need to pull about another $4000 off of the $33,583 quote I have, for the first year's depreciation, meaning $ 29,583 for the '09. MO doesn't charge sales tax but when I register the car I'd have state and city taxes equal to 5.475% of the purchase price.

So what do you think? Try to work the '09 deal or just focus on getting a better deal on a '10? Assume this would happen before the current incentives expire.

Thanks.
    I'm actually pondering the same thing.

I have an offer on the table for a 09 4wd Touring (RES, NAV, Running Boards)

32K OTD 35,100. Its a Demo with 6,800 miles.

I'm starting to lean towards a new 10 4wd EX-L w/ RES, Running Boards and after market bluetooth

Best quote for this has been 35,200 OTD 38,350

I haven't worked the 2010 Ex-L price down yet, however, so I think this is still a bit high.

I am leaning towards the 2010 car for the simple fact that the trade-in value in 4-5 years will be higher.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    I was the one that mentioned the first year depreciation on an 09, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it. It's not really one year since it's a new car, and I'm not sure how well the argument would hold with a dealer. If you can get the 09 for between 31K-32K including destination, I think you will have gotten a very good deal. I'm not as sure about the 10 because I haven't run any numbers on it. I don't know what's going on with Honda in VA, because the prices people are documenting here are pretty amazing.
  • aln1aln1 Member Posts: 23
    Here's my experience if it will help.

I started out wanting an 09 2WD EX-L. I started getting quotes and pretty soon had some offers and constant communications with dealers. I was specific on color combination so it was a pretty hard match. As it went on, I started thinking well, what if I compromise on it and maybe pay extra for 4WD EX-L or maybe 4WD EX-L with RES, etc etc. After a few days I thought about it hard and I came to the decision that I do not want to spend the extra on 4WD or RES just to get the color or the 09s I want. If I can't get what I wanted, I say to myself, I am not willing to pay more for something that I don't need for a specific year model. I rather not buy. Plus it sure makes it confusing for myself without the dealers help. Hahaha... Compare apples to apples. Your situation may be different.

Best 09 2WD EX-L was $29,000.00 + doc fee + TTL but not the color I wanted.
    Best 10 2WD EX-L $30,000.00 + doc fee + TTL

If I waited it out, I may have been able to get the 09s at $28,000.00. However, with what I can compare with the 2010, even at $28,000.00 (if I get it) for the 09s is only a $2k difference. I went with the 2010. I feel that the 09s and 10s price difference have to be larger to make it worth getting the 09s.

Hope it helps.
    That's a tough choice. I'm going to a dealer tomorrow who has offered a 4WD Touring w/ Nav and Res demo with 5500 miles on it for around $35,500. Assuming the car is in great shape, if I could get him down to $32K including destination, I think I'd have to jump on that deal. It a $40,765 MSRP, so almost $9,000 off sticker - pretty unheard of for a Honda Pilot and still a mostly new car. I plan to get a 100/120K extended warranty on it, so I'm not as concerned about the mileage.

I'm not sure what to say about the 2010 EXL w/ Res as I haven't considered one yet. There are a few features on the Touring that I would really like to get, I just don't want to pay too much more for them. Given the 09 and 10 are almost identical, I'm good with going with a better deal on a 09, regardless of the extra year. After all, that's the whole reason you are getting the better deal (in addition to the demo miles).

Good luck with your decision!
    I agree with this thought process - in your case, given the minimal price difference for the same style / feature set, I would have gone with the 2010 as well.
  • nightowlmollynightowlmolly Member Posts: 2
    That's a lot to pay if you don't even want RES, IMO.
    Got a quote in Waterloo, IA for '09 EX-L 4WD with RES @32,292 +TTL and there are two on the lot: Blue/Gray interior and Silver/Gray interior. According to Truecar.com that's a great price for our region. Really nice guy I spoke with - email me if you want his contact. In IA, EX-L 4WD w/o RES are about impossible to find, but Chicago area has quite a few yet.
    After I looked at your prices again, I think both are kinda high as well. 4343, see how low you can go on both, maybe the decision to make will be easier then.
  • jungle_catjungle_cat Member Posts: 18
    Hello all:

I bought a 2010 4WD Touring with NAV and RES for about 36900 plus tax in the Boston area. I went to a few dealers in the area and there were not a lot of Touring models in stock. A few dealers did not have them at all.

I think I could have done better but oh well.

JC
  • carbcarb Member Posts: 14
    Finally pulled the trigger on a 2010 EXL 2WD here in Atlanta, GA. Price was $30100 + TTL. THink I did ok though.
  • dgallagh28dgallagh28 Member Posts: 1
    I just put a new 2009 2WD Touring w/ RES on hold through Monday. The price I was quoted was $33,130. The only fees not included in this price are title and plates, which amount to approx. $300. Does this seem like a competitive price? Thanks!
    I'd say you got a great deal.
    So I had a pretty sweet deal, similar to Nuzy's above, but actually for a few hundred less for a demo '09 touring. We were in the process of going through financing, and without warning or notice, after getting off the phone with financing they called back an hour later to say they sold the car. They had given us a few options that we were going over, and being that is happening at 5pm on 7/3, we felt that we'd have at least the night to think about it before calling on 7/4 to pull the trigger. I know this is not personal, but I am PISSED. I feel that at the very least we should have been given the first right of refusal or something. They took a completely laid back approach with us as we'd been going back and forth about this car for a few days, and never once mentioned someone else was close to a deal on the car, which would have made us go a bit faster.

Anyway, do you think it is fair for me to ask them to honor the OTD price of $35,1000 that we had "settled" on for the demo, instead now for a 2010 EXL w/RES and added bluetooth and running boards? Or should I just take my business to the 10 other Honda dealerships in the city in which I live? I am very upset with this dealership, and feel that they are going to have to give me something outstanding in terms of a deal to get my business (not that my business is anything special....)
    Yes, it is a bad situation. Stay calm. One of two things. They obviously had someone that may have not negotiated much and was going to buy at a higher price than you. They are in the process of making money so they made their money. If not, they might be playing games in that, hoping you will settle for something else at a much higher price than you intend to spend since they might have felt that they have you hooked on the new car feel and smell.

Just hang on for a few days. No hurry. It is likely they will call you back and ask if you are still interested in a Honda Pilot. If you feel that the prices you want to offer is satisfactory to you and fair, go ahead and say, I'll buy X if you sell it for $Y. If they refuse, you have nothing to lose, just walk away and start looking elsewhere. Or better yet, take $Y then and ask someone else to beat it. Always be prepared to walk away.