Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• zorkonzorkon Member Posts: 22
    What dealership gave you that price?
  • angie_bangie_b Member Posts: 8
    Re: trade value for your 97 Explorer, you should consider taking it to CarMax and let them appraise it for you. You didn't say the condition/mileage of your vehicle but you might be able to get more than the $3500. Might be worth an hour of your time to find out.

I did that with my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado. Based on my research I believed I could get at least $5K for it. Was planning to sell it on my own, but CarMax offered me as much as I'd hoped to get through private sale so I was happy to sell it to them for much more than CARS value.

CarMax folks were great to work with. Good luck!
  • bavicbavic Member Posts: 1
    Have quotes from three different dealerships. For 2009 Honda Pilot EXL W/RES.
    MRSP Eprice
    1)37,605 34,275 w/Dest + TTR
    2)36,895 33,665 w/oDest + TTR
    3)37605 33,125 w/Dest + TTR

Clearly #3 is the best pricing
    But is it a good price outside these three dealers.

Thanks for the time
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    These prices are 2K more than deals in June. Surely not a good time to buy without the incentive and dealers are busy on cash for clunkers. For me I would wait a month or two for a more favorable buyer market.
  • nasgroupnasgroup Member Posts: 14
    just bought it.for $34,200 + tax / tag /doc fee = $35,694 out-the-door North Carolina
  • nasgroupnasgroup Member Posts: 14
    just bought it.for $34,200 + tax / tag /doc fee = $35,694 out-the-door North Carolina
  • ky1234ky1234 Member Posts: 6
    We purchased a '10 EX-L 4WD with RES in polished metal on July 31st, 2009 for $33,400 in IL. Dealer fee was $151, drive-away tag was $10 and KY taxes are 6%. Grand total OTD was $35,565. Overall, we feel we got a great price at about $800 under invoice when there were no incentives.

We looked at '09s back when they had the $1500 dealer cash, but didn't finalize before it ended. We are glad we didn't.
  • erikancerikanc Member Posts: 10
    Why? I paid less than you did for a Touring 2 months ago.
  • ksiebelmailksiebelmail Member Posts: 2
    dude,
    can you suggest any dealers in wa who give lower than invoice price.

Thanks in advance.
  • robodiazrobodiaz Member Posts: 1
    So I recently bought the above mentioned car for $40,500.
    They told me the factory invoice was $38,8xx.00.

I gave them 4K down plus my trade in (1k). The color I wanted was on its way in (they didnt have it on the lot but it was in their computer).

I got the extended warranty for $2,100 and they dropped my APR .25%.

1 week later they told me they made a mistake and had sold that car (hence it was not on the lot).

What actions should I take? And why is their invoice so much more then truecar and consumerguide?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    You can get the 5k back or file a complaint with BBB.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Please check out the extended warranty thread, that will save you a bunch.
  • anstaranstar Member Posts: 1
    do you guys think is a good deal for the OTD at $30895 for a 2010 Pilot EX 2WD with about 4.55%APR? thanks for any clue!
  • btwilli1btwilli1 Member Posts: 11
    penfed.com has 3.99% financing for 60 months
  • kmc143kmc143 Member Posts: 4
    Got a quote of $29,303.00 + destination/tax/motorvehicle/doc fee for '10 Pilot 4WD EX. Is this a good price right now since I want to avail of the CARS rebate program?
  • yeayea1yeayea1 Member Posts: 5
    We call them on our way to the dealer ask them if they have a white ex he says let me check calls back say its there we get there guess what its not there. He also said they would match my offer guess what another lie. SMUCKS huntington honda :lemon:
  • cubraincubrain Member Posts: 11
    Wow! Out the door for $30,895 for a 2010 Pilot EX 2WD? Is this true? That's below invoice if you add in destination fee, etc. I can't seem to get any dealers in Dallas, TX to accept $32,000 out the door.
    Sorry...I'm looking at an EX-L
    Any purchased an EX-L lately? What is a good price for out the door?
  • tom242tom242 Member Posts: 1
    I JUST BOUGHT A PILOT EX-L FOR $32400. THAT WAS OUT THE DOOR PRICE AFTER $3500 REBATE. HOWEVER, I THINK THAT I STILL OVER PAID ABOUT $1000. ANYONE HAS BETTER DEAL OUT THERE.PLEASE LET US KNOW. :mad:
  • ky1234ky1234 Member Posts: 6
    Good for you...

Because it's a year newer...less depreciation when we drove off the lot than an '09 would have been.
  • wonderpetswonderpets Member Posts: 14
    Interesting, I went there yesterday to look for a car/van. They tried to pull a quick one on me by offering me a 09 with a quote above invoice + tax + other charges then subtract the C4C credit...... I just walked out.

Is the C4C credit apply b4 tax+fees or after? As I always operate under the assumption that the C4C credit goes towards the purchase price... not after taxes and fee (or the final purchase price)....
    :lemon:
  • tommatetommate Member Posts: 4
    It must have been Riverside Honda in CA. I learned never to put a deposit without having the car on the dealer's lot. Also, the sales manager has a very hot temper too. Buyer Beware.
  • brmkrbrmkr Member Posts: 1
    Any one bought or got a quote on 09 Pilot 4WD with RES in Chicagoland area recently.

All the ones I got are around 33600 - 33800 before TTL. Please let me know if anyone got better quotes.

Any help is appreciated.
  • zuluwarriorzuluwarrior Member Posts: 22
    First of all, you're asking these questions after you've signed up. If they
    had the car, you'd be potentially very disappointed at your answer.
    Always post BEFORE buying.

That vehicle lists for: 40245 plus 710 destination
    invoice is 36442 plus 710 destination
    So, total invoice is 37152.00
    That is a FAR CRY FROM THE 38800 you were quoted.

You should be able to buy that car all day long all over for 37600-38000
    This would give a dealer 500-800 profit plus his holdback which is 2-3 percent
    of list, or in this case another 800 to 1000 dollars.

As to the warranty, I've been in a Honda finance dept and I can tell you that
    their dealer cost on a 6 year/100k warranty with zero deductible is less
    than 700.00. If you paid 2100.00 for a warranty, then you effectively allowed
    them to make more on the warranty than they typically do on a car.......
    my advice to you would be to use your factory warranty of 3/36bumper to
    bumper and 5 year/60k mi powertrain and then decide whether to buy extended
    coverage. The dealer's assertion that you CAN ONLY BUY IT NOW......is absolute
    hogwash.....they are lying plain and simple.....don't believe me? Call one
    and tell them you have a Honda with 35K miles and you want to extend
    the coverage. They'll roll out the welcome mat for you......

As to your APR being lowered .25%? That doesn't come close to making
    up for the 1400.00 profit they made on a typical warranty......
    I hope you know there are sources offering 3.99 for 60 months and my credit
    union is currently offering 4.75% for up to 78 months!

I was looking hard at a Honda Pilot touring. I ended up buying a base
    Acura MDX with a longer warranty, more luxury and full time all wheel drive
    for 37215.00. They have a 2K dealer incentive right now. Sure, I've got to
    add the DVD and it doesn't have NAV, but even with NAV and all the other
    stuff that goes with the technology package, you could likely get one around 40K
    and add an Alpine DVD player for 500.00

That brings me to the next thing folks:

Any time you buy a vehicle with the DVD slot in the dash, that DVD drive
    is covered by the BASIC warranty of the vehicle for adjustments, which
    is 12 months or 12,000 miles. Why? It's an internal moving part subject
    to dust, and failure may not be from manufacturing defect.......think of
    it as a set of brake pads, they're not covered either......
    SO: that drive will run you 2500.00 typically if it breaks. Save your $$
    Buy a really good aftermarket DVD unit all integrated for 500.00 and when
    it breaks, rip it out, buy another one and throw it away. Marrying a DVD
    player to a car that's subjected to heat every day is not a smart move......
  • bubbaloobubbaloo Member Posts: 1
    I am buying a Pilot EXL 4x4 in MA for $32,104 including destination. Less the $3500 clunker deal it comes out to $28,604. They did get me at the back end with a $298 doc fee that I couldn't get them to remove. It seems all the dealers have that ridiculous fee around here.
    Is $32,104 out the door price or PLUS TT&L?
  • shileishilei Member Posts: 11
    I paid 33,???.00 broward county florda exl 2 wd. Since cash for clunkers, that might be the best you can do. They do not seem to be in any hurry to sell.
  • twin22twin22 Member Posts: 8
    what dealer quoted younthat price?
  • cb35cb35 Member Posts: 27
    @zuluwarrior

few things you posted are inaccurate.

1st - any time you buy a honda extended warranty you will pay less if you have less miles on the vehicle - I don't know what the magic number is - but you will definitely pay more for less coverage if you go in @ 35K than say 5K. So if you want the coverage - buy it early and shop online for it many sites out there you can use to get the dealer down to a realistic level.

2nd - the dvd coverage you mentioned is simply not true. At least not with the honda care warranty - you can easily find the actual contract online - it only excludes non authorized american honda ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES/NAVIGATIONAL, DVD ENTERTAINMENT AND SECURITY SYSTEMS. So your advice may be sound to buy an aftermarket system and save some money in general - however - the idea that a factory system isn't covered by the full length of the warranty is simply untrue.
  • zorkonzorkon Member Posts: 22
    All said and done, I paid about $33,200 OTD for my new 2010 EX-L 2WD no-RES
  • honda2009honda2009 Member Posts: 30
    Finally pulled the trigger. OTD $39,500. Sales price was about 36, 900.
  • johnplymouthjohnplymouth Member Posts: 1
    Got a quote for a 2010 Pilot EX-L w RES at $33,750. This is before TT&L. Is this a good deal? Any need to get rnning boards on the Pilot?
  • zuluwarriorzuluwarrior Member Posts: 22
    1st- You're absolutely correct, you will pay a little bit more for a used
    car policy at 35k good til 100k than a new car policy at 0k til 100k that
    really doesn't take over until 36k.
    According to my brother in law's dealer cost guide, the difference to the
    dealer for these figuring 0 deductible is 220.00.
    HOWEVER, in this case you did not have to pay interest on the warranty
    for the first 36k miles you put on the car which should offset most if not
    all of that 220.00. This sort of difference might or might not be passed on
    to the customer, but it should/could. I was mostly referring to the absolutely
    exorbinant price regardless that he was asked to pay for a warranty.

2nd - Most DVD repairs are not due to manufacturers defect, they are due
    to dust/dirt and liquids. Ask your dealer if after the 12K mile adjustment period
    if they would replace a skipping dvd player that obviously had signs of armorall
    inside it and I would ask you to post the answer here, since you say I'm wrong....
    Of course they will replace it if it's under the B-B warranty for DEFECT,
    but how many folks keep cars longer than 3 years, LOTS on HOnda I would hope.
    A top flight Alpine DVD unit costs 599 installed. That is 1/4 the cost of a replacement for a Honda DVD drive/electronics unit in dash.
  • 1008020310080203 Member Posts: 4
    Is this a good price for the 2010 Pilot 2WD Touring W/Res and W/Nav in Southeastern Virginia:

Price $35,468
    TT&L $1,684

Total OTD: $37,152

Less $3500 for Cash for Clunkers

Is this a good deal? Thanks for your help.
  • sdp1sdp1 Member Posts: 4
    That's a good price. Also based on truecar.com, it's a great price. If I could get that here in GA, I would pull buy it right away.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Ignoring the Clunkers cash rebate, your deal is good. However, I believe before the end of this year, this will cost $36000 OTD.

Which dealer did you use? Thanks.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    hello i am lookin to buy a 2010 honda pilot ex-l 4wd. mrsp is $36,155 . what price do you think i should pay? thanks you.
  • bflowngsbflowngs Member Posts: 2
    Tried to get a clunker rebate in addition to the best Internet deal. Found a dealer who was still offering the rebates. I figured he would match my best offer from another dealer and then give the rebate. No such luck!!! He only took $500 off the sticker and then the 3,500 for the rebate!

If I sold my 97 Explorer for $2,000 I would still have a better deal not using the rebate.

Bottom line.....I went to the dealer that offered the Internet price of $31,368 including destination.....not including NC tax, license or 398 doc fee.

So...don't feel sorry for the dealers, they are not giving the rebates in addition to their best prices!
  • lufacalufaca Member Posts: 31
    What would you expect? They will ride the wave as long as we the taxpayers allow it. The clunkers was a good idea but it only benefits one sectod of the economy. Lets's see how long it last.
  • bchardeebchardee Member Posts: 2
    Mind sharing which dealership? I am looking for an EX w/o leather and your price looks promising.
  • mugen19mugen19 Member Posts: 2
    Honda Port Richey and Brandon Honda were at that price. I took me about 2 weeks to get them down to that price. I'm pretty sure it's the best deal around as i'm under invoice already with no incentives.
  • cmancdf1cmancdf1 Member Posts: 18
    Pulled the trigger on 2010 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD on 12/1/09 in the Northeast Ohio area. Paid $32,799 before TT&L with little negotiation involved. I'm very happy with the price, and I really love the truck. No trade-in involved, and I got the 2.9% for 60 months.
    Finally took the plunge and bought a 2010 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (Polished Metal Metallic w/ black interior) before the Cash for Clunkers rebate runs out.

2010 Pilot EX 4WD - 29,303 Plus $710 dest (+tax/ttl/doc fees) + free oil change for 7years or 100,000 miles. (minus $3,500 rebate for my Chevy Astro van clunker).

BTW, this is in Central NJ.
  • bgaskillbgaskill Member Posts: 2
    Was it 29303 less 3500 cfc ? what dealership? I am looking to buy in central Jersey as well. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks
  • megankpmegankp Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone recently bought 2010 Honda Pilot EX 2WD or receive a quote from any dealerships in Southern CA? If so, can you let me know the dealership & sales person info as well as the breakdown of the pricing? Thanks!
  • hemlock87hemlock87 Member Posts: 10
    I was offered $35,255 (incl dest) for a 2010 Touring 4WD w/ NAV, is this a good price to go ahead with?

This is a very informative forum, thanks for all the advice.
  • jungle_catjungle_cat Member Posts: 18
    Hemlock:

To me the price looks good as it is almost $ 500 below invoice and almost $ 1,600 below TMV.

JC
    yes, that's correct. It's from DCH Academy Honda in Old Bridge, NJ.

Open Road Honda gave me a lower quote but with the free oil change and plus DCH having lower doc fees it came out even at the end. I went with DCH since they're the first I dealt with and it's nearer my place. Also got better reviews from dealerrater.com.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Anyone buy a EX FWD in Virginia or Maryland?

Kindly share the price details and name of the dealer.
    It would help if you can give the price breakdown: Vehicle price + TT + Doc Fees + Freight

Thanks!