Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• optigraboptigrab Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2010
    I'll be heading to some dealerships soon, with intent of grabbing a 2009 Pilot EX-L, 4WD without Nav or RES, and less than 20k miles. There are a handful of models advertised in the NYC metro area (I've a hunch northern Jersey will be slight better than NYC, L.I. and Westchester). Prices in ads seem to be in the range of $29.5k - $30k. I'm not interested in paying a premium for "Honda Certified" designation and will be content without it. Is it reasonable to set a limit at $28k before taxes and such? Please let me know if I'm aiming too low or too high. I'll likely pay cash.
  • motichormotichor Member Posts: 32
    I brought my Honda Pilot exact 14 months ago. It is a 2009 EX-L model with AWD and RES. I paid 32200$ + TTL.
    I just want you to get an idea of how much it cost to me then. Remember it has RES and AWD. Those 2 options together cost me 3200$ more (1700$ for RES and 1500$ for AWD). Thus the 2009 EX-L model would have probably cost me 29,500$.

If I read your post above, you are willing to buy a car for the same price what someone would have paid for it 1 yr ago. SUVs depreciate fast. A 2009 EX-L Used without Navigation/RES and Not-Certified should not cost you more than 25000$ + TTL.
    Many thanks for the information, motichor. I neglected to say I want a 4WD. So the difference between your car and the one I'm shopping for is RES. Your estimate (and mine to a lesser extent) are both below Edmunds TMV and TrueCar.com. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled at the prospect of saving money. I just don't know how much fat the dealers have built into their advertised prices.
  • shopowner1shopowner1 Member Posts: 2
    Jon-

I got my EXL 4x4 RES at Honda of Illinois in Springfield. Dealt exclusively with their internet manager. Whole deal went smoothly. He's very friendly, easy to work with & low pressure.
  • 514329514329 Member Posts: 60
    got mine for $37275.00 + tax w/32 miles on the odometer. financing is 2.9%
  • doglover4everdoglover4ever Member Posts: 19
    Just curious - what color is everyone's favorite? I am still waiting for a Bali Blue to show up somewhere close by.

Thanks
  • luvthosehondasluvthosehondas Member Posts: 5
    Is this a 4WD? Where are you located? I am in MD (Baltimore/Washington area) and I am negotiating a price on a 4WD Touring as we speak. The best OTD price I've gotten is $38,854.30.
    I LOVE the Bali Blue exterior, but really, really wish it came with a Black interior. Or if the gray was a dark gray I would get that one. Instead I'm going to get the Dark Cherry Pearl (I call it burgundy) with a Black interior. I don't know why they have so many other colors with a black option, but not with the Bali Blue. Watch...next year they have it with the black interior.
    sorry, yes its 4WD
    Can you give any other purchase details? What state/city/dealer etc you bought it from? I am waiting to hear back from two dealers right now.

Thanks!
    sale price $37275.00 ( dest. charge included ) + sales tax (4%)
    Ralph Schomp Honda in Littleton CO
    so, did you find a good price somewhere?
    I've been given an OTD price of $38854.30. They are charging a $150 locate fee to bring the car to the dealership, but said they will deduct that from the purchase price. If the deal doesn't go as they've said I'll walk because I have another dealer who has said they will honor that price, but won't have the car until 8/10 - 8/15. I can wait.
    good. thats what we did. my wife purchase her CRV from another dealer bec. they beat the no. from ralph schomp by $10/month LOL
  • tphrastustphrastus Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have a question about my recent purchase of a 2011 Pilot EX-L. I negotiated a price of $50 above invoice on the phone and email with the dealer. I got to the dealer to buy the Pilot, and at that time they disclosed that it had 450 miles on it, and that the manager had been driving it for a couple of weeks as a demo. In my negotiations, they never mentioned that it had the 450 miles on it. It's a great car, I checked it out carefully and saw no problems, so I went ahead and bought it at the $50 over invoice, which was their lowest price. Did I get screwed? Does this still seem like a good deal? I worked hard negotiating with several dealers to find that price, and now I am wondering whether I should have paid a little more at another dealer for a car with less than 100 miles on it.
  • bretambretam Member Posts: 12
    No big deal. Full warranty begins at 450 miles and goes to 36,450. My "new" Honda had 200 miles. Enjoy your car and move on. I think you did well with your negotiating.
  • tphrastustphrastus Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response! Yeah, time to let it go and enjoy the vehicle.
    Ended up springing for a 2011 (Dark Cherry) Pilot instead of a lightly used '09. Based upon an earlier post that seemed okay, I took a lengthy ride to DCH Academy Honda in Old Bridge NJ.
    $31840 + 780 destination + 249 doc fee + 304 NY reg + 2407 NYS tax = $35579 OTD

I feel like I could have done better, at least to get one or two goodies thrown in (all weather mats or something). The only option I really wanted was premium running boards, and spent $762 installed - not a break there.
    Here's how my search for a used 2009 EX-L panned out. I visited two Honda dealers to discuss used 2009 EX-L's (no NAV, no RES). The first one, Hudson Honda, was a bad joke - or at least the saleman I spoke with was. Relunctant to tell me his name, shake my hand, smile (he basically scowled at me during our entire interaction). The car had ~10k miles, but also a number of troubling blemishes: missing trim, glaring crease/ding/chip on driver's rear panel, etc. Yet he wouldn't come down from high 28k's, and was reluctant to *consider* fixing some of the blemishes. He let me walk even though I was ready to buy. Unbelievable.

The salesman at the next dealership was completely professional. Test drove an EX-L with 18.5k miles. Salesman seemed to jump at my FIRST offer of $27.3K. Checked with his manager, and apologized; he couldn't go lower than $29k. I politely told him I appreciated his position, but the price was far too close to the price of new 2011. He acknowledged we were too far apart to strike a deal on the used model, and tried to intiate a negotiation for a 2011. I walked. Nice enough guy, though.

Went home and shifted my search to a 2011.
  • esemesem Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2010
    In the last month and of shopping for a SUV I've noticed the same pattern as your 2nd experience.

I think dealers being firm on the price of used vehicles may also be related to how long they've had the vehicle in their lot. But I have seen them drop the price as the vehicle rots in their lot.

Not sure how they can work this way though... $29K EX-L if you finance @ 6% (for used cars) is only $30/month less in 60 monthly payments than a new $33K EX-L(high price) financed @ 2.9%.

Carfax reports will show when the vehicle was first offered for sale.
  • surfgermanysurfgermany Member Posts: 24
    We just picked up a Silver EXL 4wd in the Northren VA area yesterday after about 10 days of pricing and comparing a couple other cars (highlander edge traverse)
    and ended up at the pilot again (we have a04 as well)
    had prices from 4 dealers ranging from a otd (with no dealer addons) of 33500 to a high of 35500 we went with
    34001 that was from a dealer 8 mins away vice the lowest price that was over a hour away, he also knocked down the price for the app pkg (trim strips pin stripes wheel locks) and the 5 yr leather warranty from 700 to 499 so we took it as we still have teenager and his stuff to hual around. Could have took the cheaper price but it was 103 in DC this weekend and we were ready to finish it up. Got the 8 yr 120k mile honda care from Hyannis
    for 1270.
  • jamoonjamoon Member Posts: 5
    Got my 2011 Pilot EXL/RES for 33900+tax in NJ. Think it s good price ....
  • jhs70jhs70 Member Posts: 213
    who did you get bids from and which dealership was the lowest. i'm looking at a similar pilot as well and i was wondering which dealership is dealing. thanks.
    Well done. 34001 OTD is a very good price, I think. Looks great compared to my price, but I am consoled somewhat by the fact that a lot of the difference in our numbers is related to my higher sales tax (NY vs Va).
  • kaharris83kaharris83 Member Posts: 1
    I second the request for where you got the lowest quote. We have been searching for 2 weeks and trying to get quotes in the N. VA area but havne't gotten 33500 OTD yet. Thanks for the info.
  • acesteracester Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2010
    I received a costco price of $33,627 + $150 doc fee + TTL. This seems like a good deal. Please let me know if this is a fair deal. Thanks
  • churchill6churchill6 Member Posts: 4
    is it through Costco or dealor?
    If $33,627 includes destination, that's a good price, I think. That's virtually identical to the price this fellow got:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0e959/14236#MSG14236
  • nyyankeefan1nyyankeefan1 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Today I purchased a Honda Pilot Touring 4WD subject to them locating me a White one which they said may be difficult.
    Price was $37,900 plus NYS Tax $3,363 and $117.50 for plates.

Total out the door was $41,381

Financing for 60 months @ 2.9%
    It is Costco price but from a dealer.
    yes, the price includes destination. Only extras are doc fee of $154 and TTL.
    edited July 2010
    That is a great deal according to TRUCAR price report. Their report says $35000 (for LA area) is a great price for that vehicle.

Which area are you getting this deal? I'm looking into going thru costco in Los Angeles, CA area.
  • nac123nac123 Member Posts: 3
    I bought (on 4th July weekend) Honda Pilot 4WD Touring (NAV + RES) black total $40742.00 includes Dest. charge + TAX + Doc fee+ Registration + Plate. I bought it from a Long Island dealer.
  • talentsmarttalentsmart Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Funny you should ask because I just purchased a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring 2WD w/ Resi & Nav there yesterday for $35,096 + tax, title, and license. I honestly don't know if they mark up their vehicles because I paid less than invoice and negotiated on the phone. I was led to Spreen by USAA's car buying service, which listed two dealers in San Diego who would sell at invoice and $500 below invoice, respectively, plus Spreen who would sell at $1,100 below invoice. When I called Spreen's Internet sales department I was told their USAA member price is actually $1,200 below invoice!

At first, the problem with Spreen was they would only give me $5000 for my trade (booked for $7700). A local dealer in San Diego told me they'd match Spreen's price and give me book for the trade, but they reneged in person. Two days later I received a mass email from Spreen offering 110% of KBB value on trade ins + an additional $1000 trade-in bonus as part of a weekend sales event.

So, I got the Pilot for $1,200 under invoice and they gave me $1,770 more than book for my trade. I couldn't resist digging at Spreen to find out how they do this and someone in management told me they are willing to lose money on fleet sales because the volume (read: notoriety) brings them more than enough retail business to make up for it. As long as you're willing to set up a fleet (read: Internet) price ahead of time, you can make out like a bandit there!

I should also mention that when I was price shopping on the phone with dealerships in San Diego I was warned there would be hidden add ons at Spreen (who sells the most Hondas to San Diego residents, btw). So, I was fearing the worst during the 90-minute drive up to Loma Linda only to find the SD dealers were merely trying to scare me away. Their price was legit. No bs and no add on fees. Sure, they tried to sell me a service plan, security system, and whatever other crap dealers hope to sell to you during the last minute squeeze, but they were not pushy and didn't react to me saying, "no." Pretty amazing considering they were LOSING money on my transaction!
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Very good buy.... what matters is the OTD price because we all pay it.
    The deal is in Chicago. Sign up on Costco.Com -> Auto Services (you have to be a costco member) and it will display Honda dealers in your area that are with the Costco program. Then when you visit them, they will give you their best price.
  • hp2011inmdhp2011inmd Member Posts: 2
    Made the purchase for $32,800 + Tax + Destination Fee ($780) + Tag (Maryland)
    Added the running board for about $650
    Color: Bali blue

Happy with the purchase. Couldn't get a good trade in, so ended up selling my trade in at CarMax.
  • joer2001joer2001 Member Posts: 32
    Feel really dummb asking...

What is Resi?
  • hp2011inmdhp2011inmd Member Posts: 2
    Don't cuz I was in the same situation...

RES = Rear Entertainment System (basically dvd system) :)
    Yes... Unlike Costco AMEX gives you the price right away. For Costco you'd have to get that info from the dealer. Not sure if they'd even tell you over the phone.

But based on acester's numbers Costco's deal is much better.
    Pulled the trigger on the 2011 EXL with Navigation for $33,627 (includes destination) + TTL. I shopped around with 5 other Honda dealers in Chicago and not one could come close to the Costco price. Also the buying experience is so easy and "game" free.

If you are in the market for a car, Costco is the way to go. A few of my friends bought cars (BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E350, Toyota Highlander & Corolla) through Costco and they have all received best pricing and good buying experience.
  • surfgermanysurfgermany Member Posts: 24
    Sorry haven't been on line in a few days here was the price.

Hendrick in Woodbridge

Hi ,your price for pilot exl-4wd is $ 31,295 OTD is $ 33,481
  • finleydogfinleydog Member Posts: 13
    Seems like a great price for that trim line, wish I could get $31,295 + TTL in eastern, PA.
  • boscbosc Member Posts: 1
    MA-Metro West-

Finally ..Bought a 2011-Pilot with RES for 33122 (Including destination) + Tax
    l +Running board for 750

It seems like good dea
    If you are a Costco member, you should check out the price through the Costco Auto program.
    Isn't it the same as the USAA program? Which I believe you could haggle a better price then what they were showing. Maybe I'm wrong but when I looked into the USAA version I didn't think they gave me great price, good but not great. Maybe i need to give it another shot.
    My understanding is that Costco pricing is better than USAA.
    personally I'm not a member but the company I work for is and I can utilize the member number, wonder if Costco will bark at that.
  • zeh3406zeh3406 Member Posts: 4
    After a lot of negotiation, I got quoted $33,100 incl. destination fee in Houston. Is this a good price? Through this forum, I have seen some lower prices. But on the other hand, Houston seems to have a harder time getting a lower price for the Pilot.