Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• maverixmaverix Member Posts: 21
    Just curious as to what your OTD number is. If possible can you pl post the break up too? :)
    I agree with you on the RES thing. Not the best of the screens out there.
    Where did you buy at?
  • pilotseeker1pilotseeker1 Member Posts: 6
    Twin City Honda in Savoy,IL (Champaign)
  • npmommynpmommy Member Posts: 3
    $32,000 for 2011 EX-L (no nav, no RES) but with the cargo mat package (all floors plus back cargo, tinted windows and advanced cargo net

1938.00 sales tax
    125.00 document fee
    75.40 dealers inventory fee (Pilot in my color was about 1.5 hrs away)
    Title fees 132.55

TOTAL OTD $34,271

Honda care extended warranty 990.00
    Frank Kent Honda (FW, TX)

Very professional, wonderful place to deal with. They did try to charge more for the extended warranty but we were prepared, had a printout and that was easily changed.
  • jbonfortejbonforte Member Posts: 1
    Honda pilot exl 4wd 2011

with navigation package
  • rmcewan_nhrmcewan_nh Member Posts: 1
    @npmommy

32K sounds great. What method did you use make the offer?
  • methodical2methodical2 Member Posts: 2
    2011 EX 2wd Crystal Black Pearl
    $28,008 + TTL
    $716 Premium Running Board installed
    $32,080 OTD

This was purchased at Hardin Honda (Anaheim, CA - 9.75% sales tax). 90% of communication was through email with a few phone calls for last minute details. The salesperson was professional and very easy to deal with and there were no hidden fees or extra 'required add-ons'.
  • lennygmanlennygman Member Posts: 5
    Aim for Low 33k range with destination. tops 33.5k
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Excellent advise superman12. We purchased a new 06 Pilot exl, and later an 08 Acura rl. Both vehicles were purchased at 17 % for the Pilot and 18 % off for the RL calculated from the sticker price.

And I also recommend what superman12 suggested as to send emails, get quote, then I waited until the dealers sent you return email/or phoned you up. And I will do it again with the same procedure. :)

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • bulgokeebulgokee Member Posts: 36
    What credit score do you need to qualify for HFS Super Preferred and Preferred credit tier??
    Thanks.
  • dan5222dan5222 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a 2011 Pilot 4WD EXL/RES around in Kentucky. Anyone knows any good deals?
  • esemesem Member Posts: 11
    Vehicle: 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD (No NAV or RES)
    Price: $31,614 >> OTD Price with taxes, reg and other fees was $34,770
    Honda Finance: @ 2.9% for 60 months.

Went thru the Costco program. AMEX had the best quote ($250 less) between the two but Miller Honda matched it and they were closer to where I live.

The sales people were great. Finance person wasn't too bad either. He went thru a lot of options, warranties and insurances to buy but he wasn't too pushy.
  • smenonsmenon Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2011 pilot. Can someone pl.tell me the difference between EX-L and Touring?

Also, what is OTD price I should be looking to pay.. looking to buy in NJ.
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    edited September 2010
    Probably the biggest differences are certain features you can't get on the EX-L that are standard on Touring:

1. Memory seat settings
    2. Navigation and RES (you can only get one or the other on EX-L)
    3. Power liftgate
  • rt4rt4 Member Posts: 13
    For those of you that are thinking about buying a Pilot, you should do a couple of things. First of all, go to the Edmunds forums that are relevant to this vehicle, and notice two problem areas that have received numerous complaints. (1) moonroof problems (will not close properly) Honda admits there is a problem and is issuing (has issued) a fix for it. (2) some vehicles pull to the right. Honda refuses to recognize this as a legitimate problem. How would you like to be stuck with this for 4-5 years?
    I will be buying a new one shortly (after I sell my '07 Pilot) and here is what I will be doing and you might want to consider this: after reaching a price with the salesperson, but before signing anything, go to the lot and check the roof for proper function, then, and most importantly, take the vehicle for an extended drive at all speeds and make sure it tracks straight ahead, if not, go back to the lot, and start over with another car until you find a good one.
    Compared to other suv's, the Pilot is a very good machine (read forums about others with all their problems), but plz. check things out first.
    Good luck!
  • evarayeevaraye Member Posts: 4
    We have been searching for the best deal on the Pilot EX-L... there is a demo on the lot with less than 5,000 miles and she quoted us 32,000... I thought that was crazy, because the quote on a brand new one was 32,600. How much should I offer for the demo... it has been driven for 6 months... I thought that once a car has been driven, the depreciation is something like 6,601 the first year...

Help! We are so ready to buy, but don't want to pay more than we should. (in Louisiana)
  • hondagirlnjhondagirlnj Member Posts: 1
    Got it at Sussex Honda, Newton NJ - 31,850 quote - 35,913 OTD. This is my 3rd Honda & the 6th car I purchased & was by far the easiest. Sales guy etc were great! :P
  • cmartin411cmartin411 Member Posts: 42
    I got a quote for a 2011 Touring 2WD for $36,031 plus $577 doc fee and tax and title. What do you guys think? Edmunds has the invoice price at $35,914.
  • jaffmanjaffman Member Posts: 51
    just bought 2011 pilot touring black/black awd, nav, rear ent system for $37,995 plus tax plus dmv. that figure includes destination charges. honda city, levittown, ny (long island).

may i respectfully suggest to anyone looking to purchase extended warranty to call bob leab at hyannis honda (im not allowed to put in contact info- just google it). i got 6yrs/80k for $670 no other costs. The dealer that sold me the car wanted over 2k for the same thing!!! very easy transaction. good luck to all, hoping this all helps.
  • doofus1doofus1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys I think we'll brake down and buy a new one, 2011
    Should I do EX-L with or without the RES?

What are the prices OTD that I can expect? Thanks for your help. :)

Best Regards,
    Dan
    we finally purchased a 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L (no NAV or RES) after reading information we obtained from this website...

Our final price was $31,000 + TTL... Team Honda in Baton Rouge, LA

We are really enjoying it and are so thankful for this website in helping us get the best deal we could find.
  • pitbull1980pitbull1980 Member Posts: 8
    Looking for a good deal in NY/CT/NJ areas. Please let me know what type of deals you were able to get MSRP vs Invoice vs amount paid. Thanks,
  • maverixmaverix Member Posts: 21
    Congrats!! :)
    Is it 2WD ??
    How much did they quote you? Did you go through Online pricing dept?

Thx
  • bretambretam Member Posts: 12
    That is an excellent deal...one of the best I have heard about. Way to go! You will really be pleased with your new Pilot.
  • konakaikonakai Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am ready to lease a 2011 Pilot EX-L in the NH or Boston area.
    Anyone out there gotten any good deals lately???
    Any recommendations for a dealership?
    36 mos 15,000yr $1,000 down.
    Thanks!
  • rontamrontam Member Posts: 12
    Just got an EX-L w/RES for 33845+TTL at Honda Cars of Boston (Everett, MA)
    I think that was a great deal.

Love the Pilot.
  • konakaikonakai Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    That is a great deal! Is yours 4 wd or 2wd?
    Thanks
    I shopped online with 4 dealerships. My original price at the beginning was $30,000. No one wanted to negotiate... said that was lower than they could go. I waited until the last week of the month and began mentioning their holdbacks and dearler incentives. Team Honda met me in the middle of their 32,000 and my 30,000 so we paid $31,000 and are very satisfied.

The first quote was $32,363... a month ago... I waited another month and they came down to $31,000. So glad I did my homework on Edmunds.com...
    Eva
    It's a 2WD but id loaded with leather seats, review camera ... very nice. We didn't want the NAV or RES.
    It's a 4wd. I am a little disappointed in the MPG tho, 15 for the first 700miles.
  • 8enough8enough Member Posts: 3
    My husband and I are coming into some money in 6 months and will be (maybe) buying a 2011 Pilot cash. Is there a way to get it lower by paying cash? I am so confused by all this. We test drove one today that was $29,000 did not have the luggage rack which we will have to have. It did have heated seats . did not have a DVD TV etc but that's ok. We are located in Edmond.
  • polypoly Member Posts: 14
    Hi Car man and all,
    I live in NJ and plan to buy Pilot ’11 4WD EXL/RES Black/Gray. The best price we got is $34,000 (not including Tax/MV fee and $100 processing), they will pay off our last ’08 Pilot (also EXL/RES) payment ($465) and about 500 extra miles we did ($100 - @$0.20). I planning to buy using the Honda financing at 2.9% for 60 month. They say that they can make a good deal due to some equity that is left in the old Pilot.

Can anyone please let me know if they know about any better deal.

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Steve.
    Hi rontam,
    Is that includes all taxes and fees? I got an offer of $34K for 4WD EXL/RES but that's not include taxes and fees...
  • pitbull1980pitbull1980 Member Posts: 8
    Just got a quote for 34k on the 2011 4WD EXL with Nav (includes Dest). Anyone do better? Also, have 08 Pilot EXL with Nav to trade. No quote on the trade yet.
  • callaway68callaway68 Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a 2011 pilot 4wd with navi and I also have a 2008 exl with res. did you find out what they will give you for yours. I have 25,000 miles on mine and they offered 23,800 for my trade and 34000 for the new 2011 pilot with navi.
  • scampcatscampcat Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    8enough - no matter what they tell you, cash makes no difference. All money, whether cash or check or 3rd party check, goes into their same bank account. You may end up with a rookie shark salesman that suggests that cash motivates their manager to lower the price, but that's just not true. What it really does it puts a big bulls-eye on your back. They're motivated by same-day sales. Cash indicates that you will buy same day, but they don't need to know that. If you tell them you have cash, there are a lot of tactics they will use to try and raise your price since you have cash to burn. "Someone else is looking at your exact same car right now, and you need to pay more to beat them to it", etc. The fact is, there's the Honda Factory that is continuing to push out cars as quickly as they are bought. So if someone takes the one on the lot, who cares. Another one will be there in a week to replace it. They don't make money by selling out of inventory and not replacing it. And for that matter, they frequently trade cars with local dealerships to obtain the car they need to close a sale.

As tempting as it is to go shop for a car and talk with a dealer now, try to hold back. Most sales people will try to back you into an emotional corner to buy immediately, referencing low interest rates that you can pay off immediately once you have the money (thus you have the car today), deferred payments, deferred checks...the list goes on. The safest financial advice I can suggest on buying is to wait until the money is in the bank as *secured funds*.

In six months the market will still be in a lull, but as spring starts up, so do car sales. It is cliche to say, but still true: wait until the last weekday of the month, come in at night, and they'll drop the price to crazy lows to get that last sale. Winter months are brutal on sales no matter how much they will probably claim that it isn't.

As far as the car you choose, make a list of the features you want. You're buying new. That means that you get to essentially design the car the way you want. You're not getting used so you're not forced to buy what they have on the lot. Don't let them tell you what you can buy. You tell them what you will give them money to buy. If they claim they can't do that for some bizarre reason, walk out. They'll chase you out the door and guarantee that car within a couple weeks (depending on which features you're demanding). You've got to be willing to wait for them to bring in the right car though. Don't sell yourself on driving a car out the day you go in or the job is already done for them.

Which model are you looking at? LX, EX, EX-L, Touring? 2WD? 4WD? Navi? Rear entertainment? Knowing those will help us suggest what your deal price should be. Ever bought something for a sweet price that wasn't exactly what you wanted? It probably ate you up from time to time on the missing features. Don't buy something you don't completely want - buyer's remorse sucks.

One last thing: ignore MSRP, and ignore invoice. Invoice is not a bill, and it is NOT what the dealer is really paying for the car, no matter how much they claim it is. It's an outright lie. Invoice is a statement from Honda to the Dealer saying what Honda values the car at. However, the dealer will get a bill later that is much less (by as much as $2-3k lower). There are a lot of factors that go into what the true dealer cost is, and it varies dealer to dealer for many reasons, but if you're paying anything over invoice, you're being taken. Shop around. Don't be afraid to spend $300 on a plane ticket to cross half the nation to get a car that is considerably cheaper if the dealer is truly giving the good deal.
  • scampcatscampcat Member Posts: 2
    doofus1 - is that 2WD or 4WD?

Rear entertainment has an improved sound system that you'll probably not be able to match with an aftermarket solution for price. However, if you don't need an awesome theater experience in the back of your car (seems a little excessive), you can buy an after-market solution for usually about half the cost of the Honda installed version. If you don't end up getting the RES, you should be able to buy just under invoice, which puts your OTD price at or just under MSRP.
    they mentioned there was $3,000 equity in the leased car they could use. we bought the 4WD EXL-RES for $31,700 (not including TTL but, they paid the last payment of $465 on the leased car)
  • jeepman69jeepman69 Member Posts: 1
    I am being quoted a price that is $26,934 +TT&L for an in stock LX. The price is touted as being about $500 over their cost, and further in answer to a statement I made about incentives direct to dealer based on the dealerships volume, etc it was said that Honda doesn't really give that much back.

So, I don't know how much that is true, but I do know the price I have been given is a little over $800 above invoice + destination. I just don't know if I can do better since there are not a lot of Honda dealers in a city our size. Thanks!
    Hi Poly,

That was with destination, TTL was extra.
  • arganteargante Member Posts: 1
    I went to honda dealership in union county, and got following quota:
    2011 Pilot LX AWD
    OTD: $28300
    I tried to negotiate down further, but not successful.
    I used the costo auto program, but that does not help. It end up 200 over invoice + TTL

My questions:
    1. Is this a good price?
    2. anyone got better deal for LX and EX in NJ for 2011 or 2010?

Appreciate your response.
  • minnu2minnu2 Member Posts: 10
    Guys what is the latest price on the 2011 Honda Pilot 2WD LX near Atlanta suburbs?
    Please reply with your #`s. Thanks
  • wantafairdealwantafairdeal Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    I'm purchasing a Pilot EX-L 4WD (NO Nav or Res). Initial price from dealer is 34,220. Using 2 sources, the True Market Value in my area is approximately 33,400-33,700, so I plan to go back with a number in that range.

I also have an 08 Odyssey with one lease payment left. The dealership will give us $19,600 (includes $500 and our last payment of $475), so they are giving us approx. $1,000 above our residual as "equity". The trade in value of the van is $21,400 (NADA) or $23,975 (KBB...which the dealership says is high because the local market won't support that price).

It seems to me that we should be getting another $500 off the price of the Pilot and another $800 or so for the trade. Before I go back to negotiate, is there something I'm missing here? Is it reasonable for me to expect the same trade-in value for a leased vehicle?

I just want a fair deal. Thanks for your help!
  • newbuyer23newbuyer23 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me the location (dealership name?) where you were given a quote of $34k for the 2011 4WD EX-L? I was given a quote in excess of $35k for 2011 EX-L with RES.
    Sure...Honda of Ithaca (Ithaca, NY). I just received an internet price of $33,195 from Lamacchia Honda in Syracuse, NY. Over $1K lower and all it took was an email!! Now I need to ask about my trade...maybe that's where the difference will be. I'll keep you posted.
    Sorry newbuyer23 and pitbull1980...new to this forum and misinterpreted the email I received.
  • ollie11ollie11 Member Posts: 1
    This includes destination charges. Is this a good deal? Any better??? Thanks
    I assume this is a 2 WD? Based on 3 quotes I've received for a 4 WD, this sounds like a good price.
  • minnu2minnu2 Member Posts: 10
    I have a quote on Honda Pilot 2wd 2011 LX Atlanta for 26+++ and O.T.D price of 28.5K. IS this a good deal for LX? Can I be better by 1-2K?
  • crosskeys09crosskeys09 Member Posts: 3
    I went to one dealership in Philly Burbs and they quoted me $33,800 for 2011 Pilot EX-L (no Nav or RES). Got another dealer but in DE and they are good with $33,200. Can I get a dealership to go to $32500 or would that be asking too much?
  • juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    In North Jersey, for the same price, 33800, I got the same car with RES, 2011 EXL 4WD. Let me know if I can assist in any way, thanks Julian